Banner by Ryukori
If you have any questions or comments, please visit the discussion thread
- Estimated trophy difficulty: 2/10 (Platinum Difficulty Poll)
- Offline trophies: 12 (8,0, 0, 11, 1)
- Online trophies: 0
- Approximate amount of time to platinum: 6-8 hours (Estimated Time to Platinum)
- Minimum number of playthroughs: 1, which includes 6 episodes played with 6 different characters
- Number of missable trophies: 7, Cat Person , A Light in the Darkness , Collect 'em all , Campaign Funder , Homesick , Stone After Stone , Help a Friend
- Glitched trophies: 0, but the tapes are random and don't always appear in the chapters (not a glitch)
- Does difficulty affect trophies?: No difficulty settings
Welcome to Petria! Road 96 is a story about freedom, dreams and life on the road. You will take control of several teenagers who are tired of living in a dictatorship and try to find their way out by crossing the border illegally. You will have to guide them through the hard life on the road, finding money, hitchhiking, stealing and lying if necessary, but you will also find new friends who will aid you in your journey if you aid them in theirs. I wouldn't want to spoil anything else, so go there and enjoy it!
Trophy-wise, the game is pretty easy and can be done in a single playthrough with a little bit of careful thinking and planning. Since the game chapters are given to you in an almost completely random sequence, it's difficult to guide you through, so pay particular attention to the chapter names and look for them in the trophy descriptions below so that you always know whether you are missing something or not. Anyway, there are some chapters which are bound to happen at some point (they can be thought of as the "main plot chapters"), and they usually have some specific trophies tied to them, so once again tread carefully.
Before we start with the actual guide, I will give you a couple of suggestions on how to survive as much as possible, since some situations can escalate very quickly and you should be careful with those:
- When choosing the next teenager to play, ALWAYS choose the one with the most energy. You can find money easily enough, and all the other stats don't matter anyway.
- Use hitchhiking a lot, since it does not consume energy (buses and taxis are good as well, but you need money for them though), and rest anytime you see a shelter.
- If prompted to stay longer with the characters you meet or getting off early, ALWAYS choose to stay longer, since it doesn't consume energy and you come closer to your destination.
- The game has a hidden karma system, which influences the results of when you "roll the dice" about something, even though the shown success percentage DOES NOT change. Your current karma is hence unknown and its effect is as well, so try to boost it whenever you can.
- You gain good karma (blue flash near your character's icon) by:
- Helping others
- Gifting money to others
- Adding rocks to the cairn in Road 96
- Leaving money for others in Road 96
- Buying the Fortune Pig in Road 96
- You gain bad karma (red flash near your character's icon) by:
- Eating rotten food
- Stealing money or credit cards
- Your run ends prematurely if you finish your energy, but can also end if you annoy Jarod to the point that he gets angry (when you fill his anger bar). To avoid doing that:
- Keep silent
- In "Walk the Dinosaur", don't watch Lola's VHS or don't tell Jarod that you watched it
- In "Enjoy the Silence", as soon as Jarod exits the taxi, lean forward, unlock the doors using the console in front of you, look right and flee the taxi
Step 1: Play through the first episode, keeping an eye out for tapes and abilities, pet the cat and blow the fire in "Smells Like Teen Spirit", add a rock to the cairn in "Road 96"
First of all, start a new game and play through as you like. You will probably reach the chapter "Smells like teen spirit" at some point, where you have to pet the cat for Cat Person and blow on the fire before talking to Zoe at the campfire for A Light in the Darkness (both missable trophies). In any chapter you come across, take a look if there is a phone booth with a working phone inside, call home ($1) for Homesick and then call one of the politicians crowd fundings (find the phone numbers around the game or read the trophy description) to donate ($11) for Campaign Funder (check the trophies descriptions for a list of chapters that feature phone booths). When you reach the chapter "Road 96", be sure to add a rock to the cairn in the cave behind the waterfall and DO NOT destroy it or it will stay destroyed and you will have to start a new game.
In some chapters, you can be awarded with abilities that will stay with you for the rest of the game (even across episodes), so keep an eye out on those since they are really useful for acquiring tapes, saving money and in general to ease your adventure. There is no trophy tied to them, so if you miss some (or if the chapter doesn't appear, as it happened to me with "Omen Vitality!") don't worry. Such abilities can be acquired as follows:
- "Lucky Star" (obtained in the chapter "Video Killed the Radio Star"): help Sonya film the speech, it doesn't matter how good or bad you film it.
- "Government Pass" (obtained in the chapter "Police Academy"): survive the car chase and then take Fanny's badge from the passenger's seat.
- "Hacking" (obtained in the chapter "Beep Boop Beep"): given automatically while helping Alex opening the safe.
- "Lockpick" (obtained in the chapter "Thieves in the Temple"): given automatically while helping Stan and Mitch getting inside Happy Taxi.
- "Cleverness" (obtained in the chapter "Walk the Dinosaur", "Praying for Time", "Enjoy the Silence" or in any other chapter where Jarod gets angry): avoid filling Jarod's anger bar.
- "Omen Vitality!" (obtained in the chapter "Blame it on the Rain"): make John's special drink.
At the end of this step, you will have earned:
Step 2: Play through the other episodes, keeping an eye out for tapes and abilities, help Zoe escape in "Fire Starter", keep adding rocks to the cairn in "Road 96"
Once you finish the first episode, you will have to choose another teenager to start again. You will be given new random chapters to explore and discover more of the story. Be sure to keep collecting tapes for Collect 'em all , watch out for the "Fire Starter" chapter as you have to save Zoe for Help a Friend (read the trophy description for a detailed walkthrough) and add a couple more rocks to the cairn for Stone After Stone .
Then, just keep playing the episodes until you reach the ending with Zoe for Hard Choice and the Road 96 for the sixth time for Old Pro .
At the end of this step, you will have earned:
Step 3: (Optional) Play through the game again (New game +) while cleaning up the missed tapes/trophies
Should you have missed some trophies, or in case there are still some tapes to be collected, now is the time to do it! Start a New game + (you will keep the previously unlocked abilities and tapes) and be sure to do everything that you could not do last time!
At the end, you will have earned: