- Estimated trophy difficulty: 6/10 (Platinum Difficulty Thread)
- Offline trophies: 36 (28, 6, 1, 1)
- Online trophies: 11 (8, 1, 2) - No longer possible, because the servers have closed.
- Approximate amount of time to Platinum: 36-50hrs (Estimated Time to Platinum)
- Minimum number of playthroughs: 1 but more likely each race will be completed approx 3 times
- Number of missable trophies: 0
- Glitched trophies: 1 - ModNation Superstar
- Does difficulty affect trophies?: No
- Do trophies stack?: No
- Do cheat codes disable trophies?: No cheats available.
You have bought yourself the new Vita and have opted for the new ModNation Racers! I will assume that you haven't played the original so every concept is new to you (I haven’t played it yet either!). In my opinion it is a brilliant game. They took Mario Kart, added a little Burnout Paradise, and then added a sprinkle of LittleBigPlanet!
The main focus of this game is to build yourself new tracks and add them to the community. This means that when you beat the career, you will never run out of new tracks to play. Unlike LBP, a half descent track feels like it has been built by the developers, whereas a community level in LBP still feels as though it was made by a community member. I strongly recommend this title for any Vita player who even slightly enjoys racing games!
Step 1: Build and publish your own creations
Most trophies can be attempted whenever you feel like it, but I do recommend - before doing anything else - go and build a track, a kart and a racer and publish them to the community. You never know, the chances are slim but they may become the next hot race and shoot up the leaderboards! From this you will earn the three trophies for building a kart, a track and a racer, plus 1 for publishing your creation. For the next easy trophy, swipe you finger across the base menu until you see a vending machine. Click the machine, wait two seconds, and ding the next trophy for visiting the shop!
From this you will earn the following:
Now for the career! There are five tour rounds and a bonus round, each consisting of 5 races, so there are 30 races in total for your Platinum. For the Platinum you will need to come first in every race. To unlock the next tour you simply need to place in the top three overall which should be easy, however, to unlock the bonus tour you must beat all of the stats available at the start screen of the career. Don't worry about this until stage three.
Step 3: Career mop-up
This is the time to pick up those missed tokens and miscellaneous trophies. Like most karting games, ModNation has collectibles. I found that none of them are difficult to find, if you find a shortcut the chances are there is a token at the end! The tokens are big enough to see in the distance and are always easy to spot. They look like small purple/pink nitrous oxide canisters surrounded by hovering gold sparkles. You can expect to find 5 per race. You can always repeat tracks to find missing ones.
In each race there are three challenges. The first is always to finish the race so I wouldn't worry about remembering that one but the other two are important for the Platinum. If you ever miss one, you can just repeat the race whenever you feel like it.
The challenges are always similar i.e:
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst not falling off the track.
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst not hitting any walls for one lap.
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst gaining X amount of spin points. (spin points are when you spin whilst in a jump, hold the right stick to spin)
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst gaining X amount of drift points (to drift hold and the direction of the corner curvature like most other karting games).
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst sideswiping X amount of opponents (just simply hit the right stick right or left when in line with an opponent to sideswipe).
- Come first (or sometimes third) whilst taking out X amount of opponents (take them out wither with a sideswipe or a weapon)
Try and hit every objective of a race, get every token and win!!! Don’t worry if you don’t though, you can repeat any race at any point and you don’t need to get all challenges done in a single race, simply one per go.
Things to consider when aiming for that first place:
- Aim for a speed start (hitting accelerate at the right time will get you this)
- Don't fall off! This is obvious but just take extra care round drop off points, the time you will lose from falling will far outweigh the time it takes to be slower!
- Drift whenever safe, you will get used to drifting all the time in races but you want to build up your boost!
- Avoid weapons; if you get fighting weapons absolve them to drift (by holding triangle for 2 seconds). If you are able to take out an enemy with a weapon you are behind them, this is not where you should be! Always aim for the light green boost weapon pods, save up three for a warp boost which will give you a huge advantage!
- Remember, if you are in eighth place, all is not lost as the A.I will slow right down. I have won many races going from 8th to first in the last lap!
You must now unlock the bonus tour, which to be honest will be a bit of a pain. There are five stats you must beat to unlock the bonus tour, all but one will undoubtedly be completed when you finish the tours (assuming you are a bit rubbish like me and repeat a few races):
- Drift Distance – breach 65,000 meters
- Shortcuts used – more than 50
- Weapons expert – use more than 60
- Item use – use more than 425
You will however find the next one is horrible:
- Target time differential – beat -200.0s
Each track has a developer target time, you must beat all of these to gain the Join the Team trophy and then beat them all collectively by 200 seconds, when finishing the career my differential was 15.2 seconds and took a long time to make up the time! All I can say is race your best, utilise level 3 boost, drift to earn boost, absorb weapons to turn into boost and know your tracks. Take the shortcuts and avoid falling at any cost!
Here is a list of lap times that I got, this can help you choose what races are good to get big time differences in:
Race 1 - 1:54.979 (-10.026s)
Race 2 - 1:49.007 (-13.538s)
Race 3 - 2:10.713 (-7.362s)
Race 4 - 1:59.679 (-12.574s)
Race 5 - 2:08.914 (-12.589s)
Race 6 - 2:19.440 (-12.503s)
Race 7 - 3:10.976 (-0.33s)
Race 8 - 2:36.017 (-17.406s)
Race 9 - 2:35.558 (-22.055s)
Race 10 - 3:55.370 (-10.867)
Race 11 - 3:45.736 (-9.070s)
Race 12 - 3:32.413 (-5.258s)
Race 13 - 4:27.114 (-4.696s)
Race 14 - 3:16.761 (-17.261)
Race 15 - 4:15.421 (-4.089s)
Race 16 - 3:45.332 (-5.777s)
Race 17 - 3:31.437 (-5.320s)
Race 18 - 4:08.886 (+8.345s)
Race 19 - 3:28.534 (-0.729s)
Race 20 -4:19.191 (-8.705)
Race 21 - 4:24.576 (+12.273s)
Race 22 - 4:05.676 (-12.873s)
Race 23 - 3:19.276 (-5.492s)
Race 24 - 4:38.484 (-9.151s)
Race 25 - 4:45.378 (+7.137s)
TOTAL TIME = - 232.8s
Step 4: Gather the remaining trophies
It is hugely unlikely after finishing the tour you will have any misc trophies left but just in case, here is what you may have left. Check the description and explanation for more information:
Post Cards for Everyone
Slow and Steady
[PST Would Like To Thank phish5529 for this Roadmap]