- Estimated trophy difficulty: 5/10 (Estimated Platinum Difficulty).
- Offline trophies: 40 (24, 13, 2, 1)
- Online trophies: 3 (3) – Intruder, Deterrence and Disarmament. All done solo.
- Approximate amount of time to platinum: 150+ hours (Estimated Platinum Time).
- Minimum number of playthroughs: The whole game is one giant playthrough. However, you'll most likely have to play most missions 2 to 4 times.
- Number of missable trophies: None.
- Glitched trophies: None as of patch 1.04.
- Does difficulty affect trophies?: Some missions must be completed on harder difficulties.
- Do trophies stack?: Yes, the PS3 and PS4 have separate trophy lists.
- Do cheat codes disable trophies?: Certain items prevent you from earning S Ranks. You can view which items do in Appendix 2: LINK
Welcome to Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, the conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid series as directed by Hideo Kojima. Metal Gear Solid is a series of stealth games and this entry is no different. Throughout the game, you'll be sneaking your way into enemy territory to gather information, neutralize targets, and experience a story that is better than what you would find in the vast majority of what games typically have.
The platinum trophy for this game, one of the easiest for the series, entails completing the main missions multiple times, as well as hunting down collectibles and managing the off-shore military unit known as Diamond Dogs. Overall, it's a real completionists' game, with a platinum time running upwards of 150 hours. Time flies when you're having fun, however, and this game does a good job of keeping things interesting.
Note that this guide was created using the PS4 version of the game. Some controls, such as aiming and firing, are different on the PS3 version. As such, whenever I refer to and , assume that I am instead referring to and and vice-versa if you are playing the PS3 version of the game.
To PowerPyx, for his video guides for the game, which will be referred to throughout this guide.
To Kaelsig, for his pre-1.06 list of grinding locations for materials.
Step 1: Main Missions, while focusing on the Dispatch Missions
Your first step of the game is to simply play and enjoy the story. The game does a good job of introducing you to mechanics that are very rare or unheard of in other games, as well as teaching you all of the jargon that will be used in this guide so pay attention to the tutorials. You may notice that missions give you a rank or track when you complete certain tasks. Yes, these are tied to trophies but many are difficult or outright impossible to complete until you've developed enough of Mother Base and military hardware to take them on. For now, enjoy the story. The game is structured into two chapters, for a total of 50 missions. You'll also be required to build an FOB after mission 21 and be taught about invasions. If you invade another players' FOB once, you'll earn Intruder. FOBs will become important later.
Also, while you are playing the campaign, it is imperative you focus on the Dispatch Missions. You'll gain access to Dispatch Missions after accessing Mother Base. Focusing on the Dispatch Missions after this step can lengthen the time to platinum significantly, so I highly recommend doing these while you're running through the campaign. See Deployment for more.
As for a few tips, I can give you these. Develop weapons and items very often; using the starting equipment all the time puts you at a massive disadvantage. Secondly, you'll get access to buddies throughout the game, such as the trusty wolf D.D., who can take down enemies at close range, and Quiet, a silent sniper who can cover you at a distance. Finally, you'll gain access to the Fulton recovery device, which you'll use to capture enemies and make them join Diamond Dogs.
During this step, you'll earn:
To The Rescue
Step 2: 100% on Missions
Now that you've completed the game once and have been given the chance to develop your forces, you can tackle completing the game a second time. This time, you'll be focusing on earning the highest rank for each mission and completing mission tasks so see Elite and Executed for more. Once you've finished that, you may notice that those trophies did not unlock and that mission 45 is missing. Unequip the Butterfly emblem, if you have it equipped and develop your relationship with Quiet (See War Buddy). This will unlock Side Op 150, which will lead into mission 45. Complete that with an S rank and fulfil its mission tasks to unlock the trophies.
During this step, you'll earn:
Man's Best Friend
Step 3: Side Ops, grinding and cleanup
You're in the home stretch now but don't let that fool you, you've still got about 30 hours to go. Here you will be completing absolutely everything. Completing Side Ops, collecting animals and developing weapons and items. You'll also be building a nuclear weapon if you haven't already, as well as finishing the last of your Dispatch Missions.
During this step, you'll earn:
Locked and Loaded
Outdated information in this roadmap as of the latest update:
As of patch 1.06, Konami has made the Platinum for this game more difficult to earn, in an effort to get players to turn to microtransactions. While you can use offline materials to build upgrades for mother base and nuclear weapons, the grinding method for them has been eliminated entirely and relegated the process to stealing other players' materials in FOB missions. This is slower by a matter of dozens to hundreds of hours. Your best bet at earning the platinum trophy at this stage is to start from version 1.00, only connecting online to earn the three online trophies.
Thus, the following are the steps you should take to keep your platinum run as short as possible:
- Start the game in version 1.00. Be sure to disable automatic updates on your system.
- Play the entirety of your platinum run, except for the Intruder, Deterrence and Disarmament trophies.
- Grind for materials using the pre-1.06 patch method detailed in Architect, making sure you have enough offline materials to complete every other trophy.
- Update your game to version 1.07.
- Connect online to build an FOB. From this point on, you can earn Intruder.
- Disconnect from online mode in the button menu.
- Build the nuke from your iDroid using offline materials, earning Deterrence.
- Dismantle it immediately for Disarmament.
If you have already updated the game and played since then, you won't be able to delete your game data and revert to an older version, as the game's saves update with the game itself and newer saves will not be compatible with the older version. This means you're pretty much screwed and will have to use FOB missions instead.
If you're still in after reading this arbitrary, yet necessary process for earning this platinum, then here's the rest of the roadmap.