- Estimated Platinum Difficulty: 4/10
- Approximate Time To Platinum: 50+ hours
- Offline: 42 5 3 1
- Online: 0
- Missable Trophies: None
- Minimum Playthroughs Needed: 1
- Glitched Trophies: None
- Cheats: None
Just Cause 2 is an open world 3rd person shooter set on the fictional Asian island state of Panau. You play as CIA Secret Agent Rico Rodriguez, aka ‘Scorpio’. Your task: to destabilize the governing dictatorship of ‘Baby Panay’ by causing ‘Chaos’ around the different regions of the island state.
This is mainly achieved by attacking military bases, pitting the three factions or gangs on the island against each other, and/or by completing as many of the sabotage events as you can. The ‘Chaos’ meter acts as a kind of in game point system, unlocking story and faction missions as well as black market items as the total rises.
All the above basically means blowing up as much stuff as possible, mainly focusing on government property. You can find targets to blow up in the 368 locations spread across the island chain. There are military bases, airports, villages, cities, towns & other small settlements that contain government property. Just keep an eye out for anything marked by the white on red Panauan Star.
Unfortunately, it does not have the greatest storyline ever, but worrying about that is missing the point of this game. This is a world inspired by a dozen popcorn action movies. It is about kicking ass in style and having fun while doing it, in a giant beautiful sandbox world.
The most important thing you have to keep in mind when starting for the first time is that in order to get the platinum, you WILL have to beat the main story missions on Hardcore Difficulty. I did not find this level of difficulty to be particularly taxing.
If you start on Hardcore difficulty, you can complete all the trophies in a single playthrough. You may find yourself faced by larger groups of enemies by times, but in general play it is not that much harder than the lower difficulties. Once you get used to using cover properly and use the evade button to keep moving, most enemies are not that hard to defeat. Also, if you start on this difficulty, you will acclimatize to it easier than if you move up to it. Starting on a lower difficulty first makes the jump up to hardcore feel worse than it really is.
If you start on any of the lower difficulties, you WILL have to replay the story missions again on Hardcore after completing the game. This includes any other missions needed to build up the necessary ‘Chaos’ to unlock those story missions. This could potentially add 20+ hours on top of your time to platinum.
Therefore, if you are going for that platinum, I recommend you take the plunge and start off on Hardcore. You won’t regret it.
Since the Gameplay in Just Cause 2 is based on a free-roaming system, the bulk of the trophies can be earned without working through them in a specific order. It is simply a matter of working your way through the list.
There are however, a few things you should keep in mind while playing:
1. If you see a vehicle that you suspect you have not driven before, Hijack it. If there is any doubt in your mind at all, Hijack it. Collecting all 104 of the vehicles takes a lot of time. You should be on the lookout for new or exotic vehicles ALL THE TIME. And remember to drive every vehicle you come across within the military bases and harbours as well. Also keep any eye out for different versions of the same vehicle: a convertible version of a sports car say, or trucks with different bodies on the back will all generally count as new vehicles in their own right.
Any new vehicles added as DLC that are released on the PSN store will count as an added vehicle towards the total for this trophy. So there are more vehicles available than you need.
2. Remember your kill trophies as you are playing through, as opportunities for each one will come up in normal play. These include:
- A sniper in a tower/on a water tower: Pull him off with the grapple hook for a fall kill. This is often the quickest way to take them out anyway.
- A single soldier out in the open: Grapple him into the air and kill him for a juggle kill. A pair of submachine guns works wonders here.
- A single soldier near a wall or cliff: Attach him to the wall with the grappling hook and kill him for a hang kill. Also, you can kill him using the melee attack to receive a Piñata kill, which counts towards a separate trophy as well.
3. Keep upgrading your weapons whenever you have enough parts. Concentrate on the ones you use most first. I recommend fully upgrading the assault rifle, submachine gun & triggered explosives (C4). These can carry a lot of ammo and will do a lot of damage to property quickly.
4. When exploring the map, keep an eye out for the blue dots. They are the factions collectable items: Black Boxes, Skulls and Drug Drops. Pick them up whenever you are nearby to help towards the 'Faction Benefactor' trophy. You will thank yourself later for picking these up as you go.
Also: Keep an eye out for the yellow dots on the map. These are the undiscovered locations dotted around Panau. There is a trophy related to finding 100 locations, but having them unlocked will help you extract across the island very quickly later on in the game.
Important Point: You should probably start each Agency Mission soon after it unlocks. They will pop up once you have collected up enough Chaos points to open one up. The Agency Missions are the main story missions, & can be identified by the black star like symbol on your map by opening the PDA.
Once you complete the story you will unlock mercenary mode. In this mode you will be able to travel around the map and collect all the faction/resource items & complete all uncompleted faction missions and events (challenges). This is your chance to clear up any of the trophies you have missed so far, just pick one from the list, and get to it.
[PST Would Like to Thank Savenger for this Road Map]