Estimated Platinum Difficulty: 5/10
- Approximate Time To Platinum: 50-60 Hours
- Trophies: 43 4 3 1
- Offline: 38 4 3 1
- Online: 5
- Missable Trophies: Clean Records, Chuck Greene: Crossdresser?, Custom Finish, Data Miner, Death of Comedy, Duct Tape FTW, Father of the Year, Full Deck, Head Trauma, Hero of Fortune City, He hasn't covered wars..., Improper Behavior, Justice Served, Life Saver, Tough Guy
- Minimum Playthroughs Needed: 2+ (Depending on Co-Op partner)
- Difficulty Affects Trophies: N/A
- Glitched Trophies: Better With a Friend
- Cheats: None
Several years have passed since the Wilamette incident and Dead Rising 2 shifts the action from the everyday world of mid-West America to the glitz and glamor of Fortune City, America's latest and greatest entertainment playground. People flock to Fortune City from around the globe to escape from reality and the chance to win big and for some, this means competing in Terror is Reality.
Like millions of Americans, former national motocross champion Chuck Greene is gripped by the TV sensation that is Terror is Reality. Hosted by the flamboyant Tyrone King, Terror is Reality pits ordinary members of the public against an arena full of zombies with a simple challenge – kill more zombies than your opponents and stay alive with the wine, collecting big money and the chance to come back and secure even greater prizes. What is it that has forced Chuck to come to Fortune City and risk his life in the modern day gladiatorial contest, is he trying to recapture the fame of his motocross days, does he have a reason to hate zombies or is it simply the lure of big money?
***IMPORTANT NOTE REGARDING RESTARTING THE STORY***
Dead Rising 2 offers you the opportunity at any time to restart the story from Day 1, allowing you to take your built up character and start over from the beginning.
When you restart from the Quit menu, the following items carry over:
- Level (All stats and skills)
- Vehicle keys
- Combo Cards and Scratch Cards
- Combo weapons created (for Duct Tape FTW trophy)
- Clothing worn (for Fashion Aficionado and Chuck Greene: Cross Dresser? trophies)
- Food eaten (for Finally Full trophy)
- Notebook (for Data Miner trophy)
- Shops visited (for Window Shopper trophy)
- Weapons used (for Death From Afar, Death of Comedy, Explosive Temper, Head Trauma, He hasn't covered wars... trophies)
The following items DO NOT carry over, and will have to be performed in a single playthrough:
- Weapons and Inventory
- Zombies killed (for Zombie Fu and all the kill count trophies up to and including Zombie Genocide Master.)
- Survivors rescued (for Hero of Fortune City trophy)
- Zombrex posters spraypainted (for Improper Behavior trophy)
- Keys for areas of the game like the underground
- Shortcuts unlocked
- Katey's Gifts (for Father of the Year)
PLAYTHROUGH 1 - CASE FILES:
Complete all Case Files in Co-op mode, focusing on rescuing the survivors and completing all side missions that are received. If you and your Co-op partner are strong enough, you can attempt the psychopath missions, but don't be afraid to leave them for subsequent playthroughs when you're a higher level. On this playthrough you should concentrate on getting:
- Apprentice Rising
- Better With a Friend
- Clean Record
- Come On Follow Me
- Curiously Inventive
- Don't You Die On Me
- Judge, Jury and Executioner*
- Justice Served*
- Saving the Day
- Tough Guy*
- Vigilante Justice*
* Depending on your skill level, if you find the psychopaths too difficult you may want to attempt these trophies on a later playthrough.
PLAYTHROUGH 1A - OVERTIME:
Depending on your skill level, you can attempt Overtime at this point. The psychopath at the end is very difficult however, so be prepared. See the Justice Served trophy description for details.
PLAYTHROUGH 2 - SURVIVORS (OPTIONAL):
Assuming you didn't manage to get Hero of Fortune City in your first playthrough, use the completed save game file from Playthrough 1, restart your game from the beginning and concentrate on rescuing all the survivors. If you did not manage to get Judge, Jury and Executioner on your previous playthrough, now would be a good time to work towards that, as many of the psychopaths have hostages that you can rescue. Click here for the Survivors & Psychopaths Timeline to plan your schedule. If you follow the timeline, on the second playthrough you will have more than enough time to rescue 100% of the survivors, do all the case files, and still have hours left to spare. By rescuing multiple groups of survivors at once, time will never be an issue. If you haven't completed your combo card deck, use this time to collect the remainder of the hidden cards. On this playthrough you should concentrate on getting:
- Full Deck
- Half Deck
- Hero of Fortune City
- Life Saver
- Professional Rising
- Skill to Survive
PLAYTHROUGH 3+ - GRIND:
This where the real time sink sets in. Depending on what you've managed to accomplish in the game so far, you'll have a lot of collection ahead of you. There are a disproportionate number of collection trophies in the game, but luckily some of the information carries over between playthroughs, which will save you some time.
8 SURVIVOR LIMIT:
The game will only load a maximum of 8 survivors at any one time, including hostages and psychopaths. This means that missions may not appear at their scheduled time if you have a backlog of active missions. This is especially important for missions such as "Tape it or Die" which have multiple survivors. Such missions won't appear at all if it would cause the number of survivors to exceed 8. Bear in mind that some survivors don't have a mission in the log, but will still count towards the 8 survivor limit. Note that the looter from "One Man's Trash" counts towards the total.
'TAPE IT OR DIE' CREW:
By far the most problematic section of the game is a hidden mission entitled 'Tape it or Die' that occurs on Day 3 (9/27 6:00AM-12:00PM) at KokoNutz Sports Town (P110). You must have room for 4 survivors to load in order for this mission to activate. Once activated, approaching the door beneath the stairs at P110 will show the mission title 'Tape it or Die', and allow you to enter the basement. One of the members will ask you for some plates and a cement saw, which can be obtained nearby from N105 and the Maintenance Room southeast of it. Bring these items to them to receive the Plate Launcher Combo Card and complete the mission. If this initial mission is missed, you will not have the opportunity to rescue the 4 survivors in Case 6, and you will miss out on 3 Combo Cards.
If you find this mission is not activating, consult the Survivors & Psychopaths Timeline to determine if there's an active mission preventing it. Typically this is due to the hidden 3 poker players at Atlantica Casino that activate at 1:00AM on 9/27. There isn't a mission associated with them, so are frequently missed.
When playing as a guest in Co-Op, statistics such as zombie kills and survivors rescued are not persistent from game to game, and reset to 0 between sessions. If for example the Host earns the Hero of Fortune City trophy, the guest will also earn the trophy but only if all 50 were rescued within a single session.
This shared credit affects a number of other trophies such as Tape it or DIE, Come on Follow Me or Data Miner, giving credit to both players for the actions of one. In addition, if one player discovers a hidden Combo Card poster while in Co-Op, it will be added to both player's files.
CO-OP SAVED GAMESWhen saving your character after playing as a guest in Co-Op, all that is retained is earned experience, combo cards, statistics such as weapons used etc, and money. It will not save your inventory or the Case File progress made in Co-Op. You can safely save over your previous slot, without losing your position in your single player campaign. WARNING: The end of game save file from a Co-Op session will overwrite your campaign position, forcing you to restart from the beginning.
- Read the Survivors & Psychopaths Timeline carefully and plan your runs to bring back multiple sets of survivors at a time from the same general areas of the map.
- Always carry a Leadership magazine when dealing with survivors, as it will have a huge effect on their speed and competency. Find it in One Little Duck Bingo (N102)
- Use the Mixed Drinks! Often overlooked, these concoctions can be the difference between life and death. Not only do they each have special properties, but each drink also heals Chuck by 6 points.
- When you're going for your weapon trophies or Duct Tape FTW, check out jamby's awesome Dead Rising 2 Item Locations guide for help finding the items in the checklists.
- If you have a Co-Op partner available, you can receive multiple copies of the same magazine to stack their effects. If your partner loads a single player game, then joins your game from inside his game rather than from the main menu, he can bring the magazine and all of his equipment with him. When he selects quit, all of his equipment will be left behind in your game. All he has to do is quit, DO NOT SAVE, and repeat. This is useful for magazines such as Driving, Bike, Gambling, Rescue etc, as the effects will stack.
- While in Co-Op, some trophies will appear for both players even if only one completed the requirements. For example Tape it or DIE pop for both if either makes a Wingman. Come On Follow Me will pop for anyone the host invites to the game while he has 8 survivors.
After finishing the game, you have the opportunity to give Chuck an edge with a nod to Arthur from "Ghouls & Ghosts". Wear all four pieces of the costume and your life bar will turn silver. When taking damage, you will take six or seven hits then your armor will disappear. Just like Arthur you'll have to run around in your heart covered boxer shorts, but you will only have taken one point of damage.
- Justice Served trophy awards Knight Armor
- Complete "Welcome to the Family" and rescue Jack. In "Ante Up" eliminate him from the game and you'll get the Knight Helmet.
- Buy the Knight Boots from Moe's Maginations (S105) for $2,000,000.
- Find the Full Beard Moustache in Wave of Style (R106)
- Know where your next dose of Zombrex is coming from.
[PST Would Like to Thank Lord Maim for this Roadmap]