Tactical Challenge 6

QuantumMercury

This needs its own thread it is on a completely different level than all the other challenges and instead of fishing for information on this challenge buried in the other tactical challenge threads I thought it would be nice to summarize all the tips here.

I have come close to beating it 10+ times and beat it once, I can pretty much blow through the first three rounds in less than 10 minutes and the fourth is not so bad as long as my AR doesn't auto-trigger near the beginning of the fight. So I thought I would share my tips and I welcome everyone to add their own.

GENERAL TIPS:

1) Every enemy you kill will likely have to be killed with AR mode on, manually triggering AR mode is a must, if it gets auto triggered you're in trouble.

2) Watch your radar for the red squares in proximity to you as they are the high value targets

3) Use of the Boosting Dodge (L2 + X) is a must to dodge heavy fire and cheap attacks from high value targets (ie, the Bogey's massive purple lasers)

4) You will not win on your first 10 tries. This challenge requires A LOT of practice to perfect strategies for each round as well as a bit of luck.

5) Remember when you are in a bind you have cigarettes to help! Use the EMPs if you have to!

Wave 1: Crystal Viper // 10+ Red Robots

Very easy round, what I did was focus on the red robots, killing every single one of them through boost dodging around the map activating AR manually to headshot each one. Only use the Assault Rifle for this entire level. You should have 200-300 rounds left over when you move onto wave 2. Very important to keep an eye on the radar to watch for the CV. Usually the CV just appears and disappears but will occasionally take a run at you. When you see the red square moving towards you get ready to hit square. It is a lot easier than it sounds. When all the red robots are dead the fastest way to kill the CV is to just wait for a square sequence and then just mash circle when he is on the ground. If you do it correctly the last melee hit will knock him back and he'll activate a blue energy field and shoot blue balls at you; these are easy to dodge so just roll around with X and he'll likely charge at you again immediately after so just hit square again and repeat (your AR meter will be charged again by this point).

IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO EXHAUST YOUR AR METER WHEN YOU KILL THE CV. When his health is low make sure you have a full AR meter just enter AR mode and shoot him but don't overheat! You should kill the CV up by where you spawned so your upgrade will be there for later. As Breadskin points out in a below post, you can use this to REPLENISH ammo from the Rocket Launcher dropped by a Wave 3 enemy to use in round 4/5. When you kill him boost over to the Pangloss statue, switch to EMP and HMG and get ready for round 2.

Wave 2: Bogey // 10 Flying Robots // 10+ Red Robots // 2 Yellow Grenade Robots

This wave I found requires a bit of luck sometimes. I win this round 90% of the time so I'll share my tips. Basically take over behind the statue and to the left you'll see a spawn outside the limits of the map. When that spawn ball gets big throw an EMP and instantly kill all 5 robots. Then look on your radar for the red square which is the Bogey, face it and enter AR mode quickly in case it decides to throw out a special attack you can dodge easily. Then turn around facing the back of the map (still from the statue) and you'll see another spawn wave outside the map limits, same thing, just throw an EMP killing all 5 flying robots. Now GET BACK TO YOUR SPAWN, the robots shouldn't come down that way but on occasion they may, just shoot them in AR mode if they get too close. The only real deadly bogey attack is the one where he says "Aim Carefully" and throws 2 purple EMPs in the air; YOU MUST SHOOT THESE OR YOUR SUIT WILL OVERHEAT! So it is important to LISTEN for those words and enter AR mode immediately to shoot down the projectiles. Everything else can be dodged with a Boosting Dodge. The key to killing the bogey is patience. Always try and keep your AR meter over 50% because if he launches a special attack you can get screwed real fast and due to suppressing fire from the robots you don't have a lot of free space to move around. I've tried taking out the robots first and it never worked for me. You should be using the HEAVY MACHINE GUN to kill the bogey. When the bogey opens its wings for a laser attack you'll have to boost dodge (the most effective way I found) or try and take over. When the bogey dies pick off all robots with the Assault Rifle BUT LEAVE ONE RED ROBOT ALIVE. With the last robot alive you should pick up the LFE gun, replenish HMG/Assault Rifle ammo and switch back to normal grenades. Get back to the area where you spawned kill the red robot, reload and get ready for round 3

Wave 3: 5 Romanov (1 Flamethrower, 2 Drill, 1 Rocket, 1 Launcher) // 5 Red Robots

Another fairly easy round with the right strategy. Now that you're back where you spawned up on the higher ground take cover behind the far right wall thing that separates the stairs. Do not poke your head out of the flame Romanov will see you and move. Throw a normal grenade into the middle spawn bubble basically a little left of the big white pole in front of you, this will instantly kill all 5 red robots. From this just wait for all the Romanovs to spawn and only the 2 drill Romanovs will move towards you. On the right side where the Flamethrower one is wait for the Drill one to get directly behind it and then roll out from cover on the right side and enter AR mode immediately and shoot the tank on the Flamethrower's back with the Assault Rifle killing both the Drill and Flamethrower Romanov. If you mess this up you'll likely be screwed. From this get back to cover quickly and let your AR meter get back to 50% switch to the LFE in the meantime and the roll out to the left in AR mode and shoot the Drill Romanov on the left side with the LFE pushing him back to the Launcher Romanov and then get back to cover. From here the Drill guy will just try to boost around exposing his back to you a lot, when this happens shoot the weak spot with the HMG in AR mode (coming out from cover) and then switch to the LFE (while still in AR mode) and just shoot him away and get back to cover. This should easily take care of this Romanov after he comes at you 2-3 times. On the rare occasion he drills into the ground just wait until he is in front of you (you see the dirt underground) and the dodge roll away and hit him with the LFE. Now only the last 2 Romanovs should be left in the same place they spawned. Take cover in the same place you did at the beginning of the wave and watch the Rocket one, when he is about to fire a giant missile enter AR mode and shoot it before it comes out of him killing him instantly. Now with the last and easiest Romanov left replenish your reserves I dropped the Assault Rifle for a Rocket Launcher which one of the drill Romanovs dropped and kept my HMG and LFE gun.

Wave 4: 2 Scorpion // 2 Flying Turrets // 3 Rolling-Balls // 6+ Blue Flying Robots

I die on this level like 50% of the time lol, but basically I start this match using the LFE to kill the middle spawn of Rolling-Balls and then boost dodge around and enter AR mode to kill the flying turrets with the HMG. Recover AR by boost dodging around the map avoiding fire from the 2 scorpions and then enter AR mode again and kill the other turret. From there I use the rocket launcher to damage 1 of the scorpions, usually taking out a couple blue robots due to splash damage (if you can time the shots well). Once I exhaust all 3 of my rockets I pick up the upgrade dropped back in wave 1 on the rocket launcher and try to finish off the scorpion with the HMG. From here I take out the remaining blue guys and then leave the last scorpion alive to get ready for the final fight. I pick up EMP grenades, Lock-On Laser in place of the HMG and keep the Rocket Launcher and LFE. You should have 5-6+ shots of the LFE left. Generally I like to keep 2-3 cigarettes, 3 rockets and 3 EMPs for the final round.

Wave 5: 2 Bogey // 9 Rollin-Balls

Immediately kill a spawn of the rolling balls with the LFE and the boost dodge back to your spawn and watch your radar for red dots/square movement. Kill the other balls while dodging the Bogey's attacks to the best of your abilities with the LFE (OHKO on the balls). When all the rolling balls are dead focus on the blue Bogey and always move with the Boosting Dodge. Use all your Lock-On Laser ammo on this Bogey and if you have any Rocket Launcher ammo left finish the job. If you have no Rocket Launcher ammo then switch to or pick up the HMG and shoot it down. Now, one on one against the last Bogey pick up the Rocket Launcher that the blue Bogey dropped. There is a 2nd Lock-On Laser on this map at the far right back side as well you should try to grab to repeat the same kill sequence on the red Bogey as you did with the blue one. However, when the red Bogey's health is under 25% I noticed it was EXTREMELY hard to hit so BE CAREFUL! Use cover A LOT and AR mode wisely. Unlike round 2 you have the entire map to maneuver without worrying about robot bullets! This round is a lot harder than it sounds, one mistake can be critical... I know T_T;

Credit to Breadskin - Kill the blue bogey first as he drops another Rocket Launcher

Edited by QuantumMercury

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for this i'm sure i'll find it handy when I beat challenge 4, last one I need to unlock 6 :|

i'm confused about the whole press square near the crystal viper though.. how exactly does this work? when you are near it, press square and some quick time event thing happens? I never killed them this way in the campaign I just shot at them, and to be honest I thought they were really easy, but not so much when you have 2 romanovs and shotgun bots chasing you D:

thanks for this i'm sure i'll find it handy when I beat challenge 4, last one I need to unlock 6 :|

i'm confused about the whole press square near the crystal viper though.. how exactly does this work? when you are near it, press square and some quick time event thing happens? I never killed them this way in the campaign I just shot at them, and to be honest I thought they were really easy, but not so much when you have 2 romanovs and shotgun bots chasing you D:

Yeah I know what you mean, the opportunity to press square will only occur when the CV is running at you, so when you see it running with its arm turned into a blade (or if you're looking on radar if you see the red square coming towards you) get ready to hit square to initiate the sequence which will knock him on the ground at which point you should melee the crap outta him and by the time he gets up he'll be knocked back and activate that energy field.

Yeah I know what you mean, the opportunity to press square will only occur when the CV is running at you, so when you see it running with its arm turned into a blade (or if you're looking on radar if you see the red square coming towards you) get ready to hit square to initiate the sequence which will knock him on the ground at which point you should melee the crap outta him and by the time he gets up he'll be knocked back and activate that energy field.

when you say melee the crap out of him, do you just mean to hit circle and do a melee attack on him? or is there a QTE to spam a button or something?

and I don't suppose that energy field thing hurts friendly robots? that area in challenge 4 is tiny so maybe it would kill some stuff for me.

when you say melee the crap out of him, do you just mean to hit circle and do a melee attack on him? or is there a QTE to spam a button or something?

and I don't suppose that energy field thing hurts friendly robots? that area in challenge 4 is tiny so maybe it would kill some stuff for me.

I don't think the energy field hurts friendlies but I was never near any robots to tell.

There is no QTE, just as soon as he goes down from when you hit square just hit circle a lot and then when he gets knocked back run away.

2 Bogey might be OK for me, unless they are much stronger than they are in Story Mode on Hard.

The problem is I can't last over 10 secs on wave 5...

How to get the timing to instant kill balls when they spawn?

After killing a group of balls, should I go up stairs or run to right side??

2 Bogey might be OK for me, unless they are much stronger than they are in Story Mode on Hard.

The problem is I can't last over 10 secs on wave 5...

How to get the timing to instant kill balls when they spawn?

After killing a group of balls, should I go up stairs or run to right side??

Yeah that is what I do, I think the Bogeys spawn at the very back of the map so after taking out on set of balls with LFE I run back up to the top and the balls follow usually I get 2+ with every LFE shot after that and by the time the Bogeys unleash a special attack most balls are dead.

From there the 2 Bogey's can be really tricky, story mode on hard wasn't really "hard" given you had a lot of cover in the areas where as this map is not so generous.

OK... After suffering from stupid M.I.C. grenades and homing missiles...

Now on round 5, 2 Bogey left and I paused the game to take some rest and look for help, because I don't want to start over again...(Should have been studying...)

I find myself having trouble dealing with the charged laser.

It's hard to get the right dodge timing, and it seems that in Challenge Mode the firing process can't be interrupt by attacking...

Now I get 2 cigarettes, 2 EMP, 1 grenade, 3 missiles, 7 shots of LFE, and equip HMG. (the Upgrade has been used)

Any tips?

OK... After suffering from stupid M.I.C. grenades and homing missiles...

Now on round 5, 2 Bogey left and I paused the game to take some rest and look for help, because I don't want to start over again...(Should have been studying...)

I find myself having trouble dealing with the charged laser.

It's hard to get the right dodge timing, and it seems that in Challenge Mode the firing process can't be interrupt by attacking...

Now I get 2 cigarettes, 2 EMP, 1 grenade, 3 missiles, 7 shots of LFE, and equip HMG. (the Upgrade has been used)

Any tips?

if you spam dodge can you not avoid it? I don't really remember there being an un-dodgeable attack (unless you time it perfect?) in the campaign. but maybe I always shot them before they did it and interrupted it..don't know

You might also want to add:

• Save the Upgrade you get from the Crystal Viper for Round 5, for the Rocket Luancher, as it not only upgrades it, but also replenishes the ammo
  • In Round 5, kill the Blue Bogey first. Why? Cause he drops another Rocket Launcher

Combine this with a Lock-On Laser and HMG against the Red Bogey and you should be able to do finish the challenge within a few tries.

You might also want to add:

• Save the Upgrade you get from the Crystal Viper for Round 5, for the Rocket Luancher, as it not only upgrades it, but also replenishes the ammo
  • In Round 5, kill the Blue Bogey first. Why? Cause he drops another Rocket Launcher

Combine this with a Lock-On Laser and HMG against the Red Bogey and you should be able to do finish the challenge within a few tries.

is there more than 1 LoL or just the first one near the start? cause I saw a vid and the guy used it on the bogey on wave 2 so I was going to do that.

is there more than 1 LoL or just the first one near the start? cause I saw a vid and the guy used it on the bogey on wave 2 so I was going to do that.

I don't remember.

IIRC, there's two total? One thats dropped by a Romanov in Round 3 and one thats dropped by the Blue Bogey in Round 5. If you use the upgrade, that makes 3 Rocket Launchers available.

There really is no need to waste a Rocket Launcher in Round 2. The Bogey can be easily taken down via the HMG.

I don't remember.

IIRC, there's two total? One thats dropped by a Romanov in Round 3 and one thats dropped by the Blue Bogey in Round 5. If you use the upgrade, that makes 3 Rocket Launchers available.

There really is no need to waste a Rocket Launcher in Round 2. The Bogey can be easily taken down via the HMG.

I'm talking about the Lock-on-Laser

I just failed on round 2 again, what is it that the bogey does that is draining my AR juice and how can I learn to avoid it? and do you recommend taking the bogey out first or going after the red/yellow bots first? i'm fighting around that statue area because it seems like most of the bots don't attack you there, and taking out the air things with a couple EMP's.

I'm talking about the Lock-on-Laser

I just failed on round 2 again, what is it that the bogey does that is draining my AR juice and how can I learn to avoid it? and do you recommend taking the bogey out first or going after the red/yellow bots first? i'm fighting around that statue area because it seems like most of the bots don't attack you there, and taking out the air things with a couple EMP's.

I always went after the Bogey first, you have to use Boost Dodging or the massive amount of bullets will kill you.

I edited round 2 guide check it out again.

I always went after the Bogey first, you have to use Boost Dodging or the massive amount of bullets will kill you.

I edited round 2 guide check it out again.

thanks, in the meantime I managed to get to round 4 twice now, I can kill the balls with the LFE gun easily but then the massive amount of blue shotgun bots get me :( just need more practice I guess

thanks, in the meantime I managed to get to round 4 twice now, I can kill the balls with the LFE gun easily but then the massive amount of blue shotgun bots get me :( just need more practice I guess

Try to destroy shotgun bots with LFE.

Those shotgun bots will be very close to you, so it's easy to kill them with LFE.

By the way, kill the flying bot with HMG. Don't use the rocket launcher, it's unreliable and takes much more time...

Is there any "fast" way to kill those two scorpions?

They are not dangerous to me, but they will break a lot of covers which are very important on round 5...

how do you guarantee a decapitation with the sawblade against romanovs? I am shooting them in the head/neck area loads and the head doesn't come off

If they are facing you, about 80~90% decapitation will success.

But if they are doing something so that they turn their body an angle...

most likely decapitation will fail.

OK, this is going to be my last try.

Fail, then throw this gxd-dxmn game away and go to study.

If they are facing you, about 80~90% decapitation will success.

But if they are doing something so that they turn their body an angle...

most likely decapitation will fail.

OK, this is going to be my last try.

Fail, then throw this gxd-dxmn game away and go to study.

I see thanks. has anyone tried the tactic of gathering up all the romanovs close together and then blowing up the flamethrower one?

I have been trying all day and can't even get past stage 2 now, the bogey just kills me even when i'm boost dodging, and then i'm full HP and I get hit by a shot and die instantly, it's not even the huge charge attack either, I don't get it :/

Edited by Echidnalexx

I see thanks. has anyone tried the tactic of gathering up all the romanovs close together and then blowing up the flamethrower one?

I have been trying all day and can't even get past stage 2 now, the bogey just kills me even when i'm boost dodging, and then i'm full HP and I get hit by a shot and die instantly, it's not even the huge charge attack either, I don't get it :/

This might not work, tried on round 1 of challenge 4.

An explosion of a flamethrower will cause chain reaction between flamethrowers, but do not harm the blue shotgun bots nearby...

By now, I can pass round 2 without using EMP.

I try to aim Bogey from the beginning after he slow down, and kill him with 2~4 AR energy.

It "was" a quick and easy way to go through round 2. Hope it will help.

And recently I find that Bogey's motion changed...

Instead of coming close at the beginning, Bogey chooses to fly away from me, and shoot from the behind...

What the...

Ok... I had enough...

M.I.C. grenade is so unreliable, and doesn't explode when the time I need it the most...

I think it's time to give up and continue to study for exams.

Will be back after a week or two~

how do you guarantee a decapitation with the sawblade against romanovs? I am shooting them in the head/neck area loads and the head doesn't come off

I aim a tiny bit above their heads on a slight angle and it works 90% of the time, even from far away (assuming you stay in AR mode). At the start of round 3 on challenge 6, I usually manage to decapitate every Romanov from the stairs in less then a minute.

Edited by Kcrack

It's nearly impossible to gather them all in one area, honestly wave 3 is one of the easiest as long as you perfect that beginning strategy of grenading the 5 red robots as soon as they spawn (they spawn before the Romanovs so they won't see you and move towards you, only the 2 drill ones). And then get the 2-for-1 off the Flamethrower killing a Drill along the way.

From there only the left side Drill Romanov will move towards you and just shoot LFE at him when he gets too close, he exposes his back to you a lot making it easy to use the HMG to fire 4-5 shots into his back then switch to LFE and shoot him away (all in AR mode) and get back to cover.

Being at the top of the map where you initially spawned protects you from the Missile firing Romanov all the way at the back. And once you're down to the last 2 Romanov (after the Drill is dead) you just wait for to see the Missile firing Romanov bend over to launch the giant missle from his back and blow it up before he is able to fire it killing him.

The last Romanova is a cake-walk from there.

OMG!!! I just finished this gxd dxmn challenge 6!!!(Shouldn't this guy be preparing for the exam...?)

The last Bogey moves so fast, but my heart beats even faster and my hands are shaking...

(Nope, I didn't take drugs...

OK! This time I gonna throw this game far away and go to study for real!

For those still fighting with 6-5, here's my strategy...

Lock-on Laser is your good friend, but be careful, one shot one time.

Listen carefully what Bogey says, what he said is what he is going to do next second.

If you switch to Japanese voice, you will get clearer voice. (much better than English one)

If it's dangerous to shoot enemy EMPs, just run away.

Use EMP not only for defensing but also for attacking.

The damage of HMG is higher, but the range is shorter and it's harder to aim.

Switch to Assault Rifle for the last Bogey, Because he will move crazily fast when he feels lonely...

Yeah~ Finally it's done! Thank you all!!!

OMG!!! I just finished this gxd dxmn challenge 6!!!(Shouldn't this guy be preparing for the exam...?)

The last Bogey moves so fast, but my heart beats even faster and my hands are shaking...

(Nope, I didn't take drugs...

OK! This time I gonna throw this game far away and go to study for real!

For those still fighting with 6-5, here's my strategy...

Lock-on Laser is your good friend, but be careful, one shot one time.

Listen carefully what Bogey says, what he said is what he is going to do next second.

If you switch to Japanese voice, you will get clearer voice. (much better than English one)

If it's dangerous to shoot enemy EMPs, just run away.

Use EMP not only for defensing but also for attacking.

The damage of HMG is higher, but the range is shorter and it's harder to aim.

Switch to Assault Rifle for the last Bogey, Because he will move crazily fast when he feels lonely...

Yeah~ Finally it's done! Thank you all!!!

congratulations !:D