PSP2 To Be Released Next Fall?

ShadowAFC

Apologies if its been posted already somewhere, but i haven't seen it..

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2010/10/500x_psp2.jpg

Around the time of the Tokyo Game Show, Sony held a private meeting at its offices in Tokyo's Aoyama. The purpose was to show off the PSP2.

Several sources have confirmed to Kotaku that the PSP2 does have a previously rumored touch panel on the back of the hardware. The touch panel was described as looking like a big mouse trackpad. When Sony showed the PSP2, it did not provide concrete details regarding how the trackpad will be implemented in games and instead is leaving that to the discretion of game developers.

Sources also confirm to Kotaku that the handheld will have dual analog sticks. Sony's game controllers traditionally have dual analog sticks, but the current PSP model does not. Dual analog sticks would bring the PSP controls more in line with what gamers experience on Sony's home consoles.

The screen itself is not only sharper than the current PSP's, but about an inch larger. The larger screen means that the PSP2 will be larger as well. In the private meetings, Sony is touting the screen as "HD".

A larger PSP should not be that big of an issue for Sony — especially in a mobile environment with large tablets like the iPad. It also shows that Sony realizes it is no longer simply competing with Nintendo, but also Apple.

It is unclear whether this is the same handheld described by the Wall Street Journal. According to the paper, Sony is working on a device that mixes a game player, an e-book reader and a netbook computer.

In late September, there were also reports that the PSP2 hardware was in the hands of "numerous" developers.

Currently, the PSP2's hardware is not finalized, and Sony is having problems balancing battery, power and heat. There are apparently overheating issues, but Sony is, of course, aiming to have those issues corrected by the time the hardware is publicly shown.

Sony set the PSP2's goals (what Sony wants it to do), but is still tinkering with the portable's innards. The PSP2's tech specs are expected to change, meaning that things like chip size and processor size are variable. What's more, the hardware Sony showed was "temp hardware", so the final design is expected to change.

Apparently, Sony has privately shown two versions of the new PSP. One version slides open like the PSPgo, and another version is similar in shape to the regular PSP. These are prototypes, because Sony has yet to finalize the PSP2 hardware design.

Sources tell Kotaku that the PSP2's release window is fall 2011. Sony is not yet talking openly about the PSP2.

Sony did not offer a comment in time for publication.

Update: Sony replied, stating it did not comment on rumor or speculation.

NOTE: The above image is not a picture of the new device just one of many fan-created mock-ups of a new PSP.

PSP2 Hits Next Fall With Dual Analog Sticks, Touch Pad and Bigger Screen [update]

Sony replied, stating it did not comment on rumor or speculation.

Everyone saw this kind of response coming. lol

It's about time Sony announces the PSP2. The only reason I see they not doing it yet is to not kill the PSP games releases recently...

OH and please, not the one that slides like the PSPgo, that is terrible.

Rival the 360?

Dont see how its a big deal, if it has a bad processor or GPU then all the RAM in the world isnt gonna save it. And for comparison, the PS3 only has 512Mb of RAM too, and thats 256Mb of Video RAM and 256Mb of System RAM.

PSP2 to rival PS3?

Well, if it uses memory sticks I could keep using the one I use on the original PSP...
Whoopee. If it uses Memory Stick, a minority of potential costumers will already have one, and other potential customers will give the device the finger because they aren't up for buying Sony's expensive format.

Or they could go with cheap and easily available SD Cards that you can get in even high capacity for a very good price and attract more customers.

Whoopee. If it uses Memory Stick, a minority of potential costumers will already have one, and other potential customers will give the device the finger because they aren't up for buying Sony's expensive format.

People aren't going to disregard the device based on the price of it's storage medium. PSP2 will cost bucketloads anyway, so it's not gonna make any difference to people if they have to throw in an extra couple of notes for a memory stick or whatever they use. Probably some new storage that nothing else will ever use, knowing Sony. I could only see them using SD cards if they have their own brand (I don't know either way if they do or not), but even then I don't expect they will.

PSP2... doubt it!

i seem to be one in a very few who prefer the PSPgo ofer older models. For starters, Sony has finally gotten rid of all that piracy nonsense. As well, i do not buy thing so frequently, so i prefer to have an entire features package in one shot. I have been hearing several complaints that the buttons are "apallingly cramped", but they work well with me for the kinds of games that i intend to play (and that ive already seen in the PS store). I largely hate the UMD concept, and beg to differ between external memory formats (pricey MSM cards - big deal!). As for batteries, i dont really care! I will last me for a few years until a new generation of gaming kicks in.

It is $200 now, same price as these funny 3000 packages which IMHO does not even come close. All i want to use it is for Remote play, multimedia storage, and occasional gaming, which the PSPgo does not fail on.

I know i will be quoted and made to looks like some sort of a jackass... at least i let you know.

Yes they are. If it costs another $100 to get a decent sized stick, people will tell Sony to fuck off with their PSP2.

Some, perhaps, but not enough for Sony to give a shit. I expect they'll use a new format that is smaller than the SD card or memory stick though, more like the M2.

i seem to be one in a very few who prefer the PSPgo ofer older models. For starters, Sony has finally gotten rid of all that piracy nonsense. As well, i do not buy thing so frequently, so i prefer to have an entire features package in one shot. I have been hearing several complaints that the buttons are "apallingly cramped", but they work well with me for the kinds of games that i intend to play (and that ive already seen in the PS store). I largely hate the UMD concept, and beg to differ between external memory formats (pricey MSM cards - big deal!). As for batteries, i dont really care! I will last me for a few years until a new generation of gaming kicks in.

It is $200 now, same price as these funny 3000 packages which IMHO does not even come close. All i want to use it is for Remote play, multimedia storage, and occasional gaming, which the PSPgo does not fail on.

I know i will be quoted and made to looks like some sort of a jackass... at least i let you know.

I agree with you pretty much 100%. I love the idea of downloading games, seems to be the very meaning of portable gaming really. Yes, the store is expensive and the memory should be a lot bigger than 16GB, but hopefully that will change with the PSP2. Well, the memory capacity at least. The games will still be expensive I expect, but as long as it's backwards compatable with PSP and PS1 games there should be something for everyone :)

Some, perhaps, but not enough for Sony to give a shit. I expect they'll use a new format that is smaller than the SD card or memory stick though, more like the M2.
If they have brains they will use mini or micro SD cards. If they don't, they will piss off gamers with an expensive as fuck proprietary format and lose sales. No question about it. Maybe not enough sales to hurt their bottom line but they will lose sales, no question.

Im getting 3DS over this

Bleurgh. I only care about Metal Gear Solid 3DS. Just hoping my brother gets the console and I can play it on his rather than getting my own. From what I know, 3DS is already dated tech - there'll be something much better within a couple years max. No doubt it'll sell incredibly well though.

Bleurgh. I only care about Metal Gear Solid 3DS. Just hoping my brother gets the console and I can play it on his rather than getting my own. From what I know, 3DS is already dated tech - there'll be something much better within a couple years max. No doubt it'll sell incredibly well though.
Not trying to be rude but you know nothing. I know this because nobody knows anything. There is one rumored spec sheet, and the key word is rumored.

Also it would hardly matter if the 3DS is "dated tech" anyway. Nintendo excels at this. The DS and Wii weren't exactly top of the line when they came out, and yet they are two of the best selling game platforms of all time. I think PS2 is still on top, but they are both up there near the top as well. And the DS has sure kicked the ass of the PSP all over the damn place and for good reason: better games. Most of the PSP's best games are still gimped by the lack of a second stick and feel like some weird tangled mess to play compared to their console counterparts.

I'd also be willing to bet that even if the PSP2 is more powerful than the 3DS (quite likely considering what Sony likes to do with hardware), even it will still be "dated tech." Everything is. Wait a few years and something better always comes out, that's how tech works.

I'm speaking as a hardcore gamer. Nintendo will of course sell really well with the 3DS because they're much more casual than Sony or Microsoft, and they obviously know what they're doing due to the succes of the Wii and DS.

Obviously I know no facts, i'm just looking at what little I've heard in terms of current and future 3D tech and it seems to me like the 3DS is gonna get old pretty fast, which I personally would find annoying if I were to buy one. I'd rather have no 3D than average 3D gaming.

Yup, you're damn right. I'm speculating my ass off and it's all pretty pessimistic towards the 3DS as a hardcore gaming platform. Hell, maybe I'm completely wrong and it'll cure terminal cancer whilst I'm smackin up bitches with ma pikachu. But I doubt it.

The DS and Wii weren't exactly top of the line when they came out, and yet they are two of the best selling game platforms of all time. I think PS2 is still on top, but they are both up there near the top as well. And the DS has sure kicked the ass of the PSP all over the damn place and for good reason: better games. Most of the PSP's best games are still gimped by the lack of a second stick and feel like some weird tangled mess to play compared to their console counterparts.

there is a large problem with your logic about "better games"; it is heavily dependant on an insecific majority, which is never a good thing unless you go to politics.

Honestly i have not seen any adolecent or core gamer use a Nintendo portable gaming system for an extensive peroid of time; because the games provided does not match their tastes. They are a minority, however, in contrast to the casual players like children and parents where they just want to play around with what they have.

The "better games" concept that is overused by Nintendo trolls does work statistically, but given the location of this discussion and the kind of install base here, it is not valid. Sure, the controls of the NDS are "better laid out", but to use that as an argument about specific games is outright stupid! I myself would much rather play Lair tru RP than play Pokemon.

Keep in mind that Nintendo and Sony have different market goals. Nintendo is focused on the gaming experience, while Sony makes their playstation systems for multimedia purposes. As for Microsoft and the Xbox 360, it continues to excel in social communications and networking.

This is not about the games here, but rather what you can juice out of your systems, which Nintendo still needs to progress.

BTW all the things about sony admitting they screwed up with things like the PSPgo is pure BS. if you look carefully into how these products are entered (meaning from sony's viewpoint rather than some arrogant playstation-haters), you would realize that Sony is still doing a stellar job. The reason that the PSPgo for example is undersold is because people are scared off by heavy ciritizing, and poor buisness system of the buyers who have bought the 3000 like the end of the world, when the differences were still puny.

Speaking of which, when the 2000 came, that went slow due to poor marketing. When the 3000 came out, there were complaints of the screen interlacing. and now the PSPgo gets the same fate, but for what... price??? its already on par now so stop complaining!

I'm speaking as a hardcore gamer. Nintendo will of course sell really well with the 3DS because they're much more casual than Sony or Microsoft, and they obviously know what they're doing due to the succes of the Wii and DS.

Obviously I know no facts, i'm just looking at what little I've heard in terms of current and future 3D tech and it seems to me like the 3DS is gonna get old pretty fast, which I personally would find annoying if I were to buy one. I'd rather have no 3D than average 3D gaming.

Yup, you're damn right. I'm speculating my ass off and it's all pretty pessimistic towards the 3DS as a hardcore gaming platform. Hell, maybe I'm completely wrong and it'll cure terminal cancer whilst I'm smackin up bitches with ma pikachu. But I doubt it.

The DS and 3DS are "hardcore" platforms. I get it now though, you just want to bash Nintendo with that really stupid "it's not hardcore" crap. Sure the DS has Nintendogs and Cooking Mama, but it also has Mega Man, Grand Theft Auto, and loads of other great titles too.

To claim that the DS isn't "hardcore" just reeks of fanboyism, and that you have no idea what you're talking about. You might as well just cut the bullshit and say "The DS sucks because it doesn't have 'SONY' printed on it." because that seems to be what's really on your mind at this point.

there is a large problem with your logic about "better games"; it is heavily dependant on an insecific majority, which is never a good thing unless you go to politics.
Uhm right. If you wanted to re-write your message into something that makes sense, that'd be swell.

The DS and 3DS are "hardcore" platforms. I get it now though, you just want to bash Nintendo with that really stupid "it's not hardcore" crap. Sure the DS has Nintendogs and Cooking Mama, but it also has Mega Man, Grand Theft Auto, and loads of other great titles too.

To claim that the DS isn't "hardcore" just reeks of fanboyism, and that you have no idea what you're talking about. You might as well just cut the bullshit and say "The DS sucks because it doesn't have 'SONY' printed on it." because that seems to be what's really on your mind at this point.

Uhm right. If you wanted to re-write your message into something that makes sense, that'd be swell.

Don't shit-talk Mama, MJC... she will mess you up.

http://www.freecookinggames.org.uk/images/Cooking%20Mama.jpg

Anyhow, the PSP Go serves as a decent barometer as to how much of a clue Sony has when it comes to the handheld market. The PSP2 hasn't even been announced and has already lost the Handheld War.

The 3DS's success is bound to be monolithic if just for two reasons -- you'll be able to play the DS's massive library on it and it launches with a portable 3D remake of Ocarina of Time. With plans to have add Gameboy / GBA support to Virtual Console to be downloaded to your handheld, Nintendo's going to be raking in some serious cash next year.

lol, you can attack me with "oh, you're a fanboy!" bullshit if you like, but it isn't true. I can understand why people enjoy it, but it's just not for me. I simply don't see it as a hardcore platform, though there are a few exceptions. Just because I don't really like a certain platform doesn't make me a fanboy. I'd muh rather play GTA on a home console than on the DS or the PSP, because I don't think they really work on either. Nothing I have said here is fanboyism - you're just using it as an excuse to disagree with my opinion. Because that's all I'm giving. My opinion.

lol, you can attack me with "oh, you're a fanboy!" bullshit if you like, but it isn't true. I can understand why people enjoy it, but it's just not for me. I simply don't see it as a hardcore platform, though there are a few exceptions. Just because I don't really like a certain platform doesn't make me a fanboy. I'd muh rather play GTA on a home console than on the DS or the PSP, because I don't think they really work on either. Nothing I have said here is fanboyism - you're just using it as an excuse to disagree with my opinion. Because that's all I'm giving. My opinion.

LOL that's the only thing he's good at, is calling people fanboy when he tries to show another syster/console he prefers is superior, which, is a term I would call "Closet Fanboyism"

It's amazing that a person that hates Sony soooo much, would spend so much time in Sony Forums:think:

PSP2? Don't see it coming anytime soon, but looks pretty cool. We shall see.

Edited by Blood_Runs_Cold