Story Discussion Thread *MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE*

This was my first introduction to Castlevania (at least I can't remember having played it as a child) and I have to say I loved it. I haven't been able to stomach Kratos long enough to finish God of War 1 yet so I can't speak to possible similarities, but this game offered me a character I could really enjoy powering up and playing. Killing Satan at the end and turning into Dracula... didn't see either of those coming though I probably would have if I thought about what I've heard about Castlevania over the years.

As far as the meaning of the ending... were there one or two masks? I thought I saw Marie take the God mask into the heavens with her, and am wondering if that was a separate mask (Satan's?) left behind. If that was the God mask, then I like the theory that Gabriel put it on, leaving his dark shadow behind.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the timeline of the game (early 1000) and Dracula (from the other games) is said to be born as Mathias Cronquist (sounds awfully swedish, yeah I'm swedish, anyway..) and Cronquist was born 1062 ! (Lamen of Innocence)

u have good points, but you have little mistake, this game us a rebot, so, you can forget about lament of innocence and all other canon. this game is like returning to square one

As far as the meaning of the ending... were there one or two masks? I thought I saw Marie take the God mask into the heavens with her, and am wondering if that was a separate mask (Satan's?) left behind. If that was the God mask, then I like the theory that Gabriel put it on, leaving his dark shadow behind.

The mask left behind is the one Zobek was using to controll Gabriel, its, aparently, and evil version of the God maks or something liek that. Marie does take the God mask awhay with her, wich is why I think Gabriel didnt become a Lord of Shadow himself but rather got turned into a vampire and fell into the dark side due to guilt.

@HanzoTheRazor - man theres a button there called edit, if you decide to say something you hadnt yet and there are no new posts you can use it, no need to make a quadruple post seriously...

Actually when gabriel holds satan by the neck in the very final fight, you can see is spirit ascend and some evil wings growing on his back.

At this point he left his dark side on earth and ascended his good side like the founders off the brotherhood off light.

Even the vampire carmila tells him that he will become on of them in their conversation.

That does not mean that he is not going to be bitten by laura and transforme into dracula, it means that gabriel maybe was the first bellmont and he left a curse.

See that he appears has dracula in the future, and this can mean that the very dracula that the bellmont have been fighting is gabriel all the time :applause:.

zoebek could not be dead because he is dead itself, thats why he offers the end off imortality to dracula.

2 questions..

1) How Gabriel became Dracula?

2) Is there going to be a sequel?

1) There is no proof that he became Dracula. But I think he became Dracul (the father of Dracula).

2) Konami rebooted (the whole) over 20 year long Castlevania franchise and left us with the biggest cliffhanger yet, if they don't make a sequel they'll be the biggest trolls ever existed.

- Yes, there will be a sequel.

The game blew my mind, but the ending was kind of disappointing... It's like everything he did was for nothing. Seriously... It felt like the writters wanted to do something fantastic, instead, they should have kept the consistency of the game story to the very end. A man going crazy because he lost his love? Fine. Zobek being loyal to a friend even he going nuts? Fine. (how the hell Zobek survived anyway?!?, how Gabriel became Dracul?!?, was Marie lying to Gabriel from the very begining?!?, if Zobek was a traitor from the start, why no hint was given?!?) So many things out of the blue... I usually don't criticize a game's plot like this, but this game was perfect until chapter XI. The last chapter should have been re-rewritten (since I'm almost sure they changed the story at the end).

• 2 weeks later...

Marie didn't tell Gabriel because she knew he needed to go through the quest unburdened.

If Marie couldn't ascend due to God being "missing" due to Zobek's spell then maybe Zobek couldn't descend due to Gabriel beating Satan. This could also explain Dracul; If we assume that the "devil mask " is the polar opposite of the "god mask" then if Gabriel put it on then his soul would split into good and bad just like the LoS. Now the good mask transcended the good and left the bad so it is plausible that the bad mask transcended the bad and left the good, only the bad couldn't transcend due to Gabriel beating Satan.

Therefore there could have been two Gabriels walking around, one good and one as Dracul, which could also mean that the Belmont line could continue through the good side of him...

I think we should just wait for the DLC though, will probably explain a lot.

Still, best ending ever and I really want to play as Dracul Gabriel, think it would be sick, but only if he kept the Seraph Wings and they turned more bat like.

• 3 weeks later...
The game blew my mind, but the ending was kind of disappointing... It's like everything he did was for nothing. Seriously... It felt like the writters wanted to do something fantastic, instead, they should have kept the consistency of the game story to the very end. A man going crazy because he lost his love? Fine. Zobek being loyal to a friend even he going nuts? Fine. (how the hell Zobek survived anyway?!?, how Gabriel became Dracul?!?, was Marie lying to Gabriel from the very begining?!?, if Zobek was a traitor from the start, why no hint was given?!?) So many things out of the blue... I usually don't criticize a game's plot like this, but this game was perfect until chapter XI. The last chapter should have been re-rewritten (since I'm almost sure they changed the story at the end).

There may not have been a hint about Zobek, but from listening to the narrative before each level I started to think to myself that as the story progressed, Zobek's commentary became darker. I figured that he was the last LoS before I got to the end.

The ending was crazy. It was weird seeing Gabriel as Dracula and then when he jumped out of the window into a modern-day environment.. I just said "What?" out loud. I guess they have roped me into DLC and any sequel released!

• 2 weeks later...

In the new trailer of Reverie you hear the vampire child saying "A powerful demon is coming, we are the only ones with power enough to stop him. You must become a creature like me.... I'm sorry, you have no choice...."

That explains how Gabriel becomes a vampire =P... I want to play Reverie T_T...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1) There is no proof that he became Dracula. But I think he became Dracul (the father of Dracula).

2) Konami rebooted (the whole) over 20 year long Castlevania franchise and left us with the biggest cliffhanger yet, if they don't make a sequel they'll be the biggest trolls ever existed.

- Yes, there will be a sequel.

It's funny that you say that, because Hideo Kojima was involved in making of Lords of Shadow and he IS the biggest troll in gaming industry, so...

There was no real clue that I could gather about the forgotten one.

Something tells me that the forgotten one isnt something familiar that we will recognize, but just be some new being that we've never seen before.

I'm pretty sure the forgotten one was in another castlevania game.

On another note, I noticed something in the ending.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK-AMLgn_QQ]YouTube - Castlevania Lords of Shadow Ending Dracula 1080P (True Ending)[/ame]

At 6:34, to the right of Zobek is an old lady which looks shockingly similar to Baba Yaga.

• 2 months later...

I've got a spoilerific question about the ending :

[spoiler=123]At the end Zobek got killed by satan, why he's still alive at the verry end? he was already a vampire or something?

Edited by JimFear

[spoiler=975]Zobek wasn't a vampire, he was the Lord of the Dead or Lord of the Necromancers. No one knows why or how he's still alive in the Epilogue. The DLCs did not explain that epilogue scene.

Edited by On3ManCr3w

You guys do not need to use spoiler tags in this thread.

Besides, they may flesh that and many other things in the sequal. There are a few things the DLC promised but fell short of that. Maybe the game sold well enought that they made a snap decision and left certain aspects out of the DLC and will put them in the sequal. Just Sayin'

So, what exactly played out in the DLC? I won't be buying the DLC, but I am curious if anything story wise was told in either of the two.

He drank Lara's blood so he could fight the Forgotten One which I hear is like a Final Fantasy optional boss, very tough(I havn't gotten that one yet but watched videos). It only anwers how he became a vampire. Thats about it.

When Gabriel destroys the Forgotten One, he absorbs the daemon's power and abolishes the daemon as if he were nothing. Thus was born Gabriel as a vampire and how his powers culminated.

Also, in the monologue of the final level he refers to himself as the dragon that will bring down the Forgotten One. Dracul means dragon (typically in title as one who perfoms grand, outlandish feats). Dracul means 'dragon' or as a title, Dracula means 'of the dragon' or as a name. For example:

Dracul Grabriel Belmont/Belmont Dracul

Dracula Belmont/Belmont Dracula

But this is probably too technical for the game. My main question was has he split apart like the other Lords of Shadow, or has he just diminished to the point of the skiddish phantom he is now? This story can continue in so many awesome ways, and this game is incredibly amazing in what it delivered via main disc and DLC.

The Forgotten One is not like a Final Fantasy optional boss, those were much more difficult. The Forgotten One is too... redundant and repetitive.