Story Discussion Thread *MASSIVE SPOILERS INSIDE*

Woody

http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7083/warningw.png WARNING! http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/7083/warningw.png

SPOILER TAGS ARE NOT USED IN THIS THREAD!

You have entered a spoiler tag free zone about the game Mafia 2. This thread has been created to discuss anything Mafia 2 related. You are permitted to discuss key plot points, boss battles and any part of the story openly without using SPOILER TAGS. Please note, this is not a "How do I..." thread. Any posts like this will be deleted.

In summary, this is a SPOILER TAG free zone. You do not have to use SPOILER TAGS within this thread.

This thread is immune.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Woody.

The ending was a disappointment. Left some questions unanswered after you and Joe leaves the observatory. The game just ends with Joe & Vito going in different directions in 2 separate cars. okay so right.

1. What Cat-house did they go to and why didnt they show them entering the cat-house and Vito spazzing on them about the separation?
  2. How did they kill Joe, or did they kill Joe? Assuming he looks back & question why are they going different ways.
  3. Where did they take Joe? Does he live and go after Leo & the other Chinese guy for trying to kill him.
  4. Does Vito kill Leo for killing Joe & why wasn't there a To be continued.. for such an opened ending.
  5. What happens to Vito after Joe's death.

The ending could have gone so much further then just the cars going in different directions & then credits.Show what happen. I would have rather see a Multi-ending game then just this cheap ending.

The little problems with the game is they tried to go real, but when you honk the horn the hands stay on the wheel. When you put your car in the garage, its go black and you just pop up, why not drive the car in and out.

They say what happens to the mother, but why wasn't there a mission for you to see her Grave sight (To pay his respect)and you end up getting set up, why set the house on fire.

As stated before i wished they kept the multiple endings and then just pick this one.I hope there will be DLC to justify the ending.

Edited by GODCHILD1020

Garbage. Rubbish. Dull. Unfullfilling. Waste of Money. Just a few thoughts of mine when I think about Mafia 2s story. Which is sad because the first one's story was so great.

It's like they didnt even try and only made the game for that one awesome scene of you killing Tommy Angelo and even that they messed up.

Game's fun but it lacked so much and honestly if you're story is going to be utter crap you at least need content to back it up...

Just wondering. To those of you who hated the ending, did you get the platinum. The game was so crappy for me and the collectibles are such a waste of time. If there weren't so many of them it would be much better. They're actually cool collectibles too. Seeing naked women as a collectible is sweet but not worth it. Too much work to get so many of them

I actually enjoyed the ending. I was glad that when Vito and Joe walked out of the observatory, they weren't peppered with Tommy Gun bullets. That would have been an easy way out, I think.

With the actual ending, I like how Joe's car veered off and then you are told he wasn't part of the plan. When the camera pulled up, it was over the "wooded" area where you buried that one guy who was stinking up the trunk. So, Joe either bit it and they were dumping his body or something else. But with it being open-ended like that, it gives them much more freedom for Mafia 3, if they ever make one. Now, they can have it as Joe being killed and work that in, or Joe actually wasn't killed and comes back, maybe for revenge, who knows.

If Joe is dead, I think it would have been cool for the camera to be on Vito, and then in the background, behind him, you can see through the window the car Joe is in. After Leo says that Joe wasn't part of the plan, a red splatter bursts onto the window in the car (behind you in the background behind Vito's point of view). Right after, the car could have veered off into the woods to dump the body.

I really enjoyed the game. The presentation was great and I loved those little montages throughout the game.

Edited by Voshempa

The ending was portrayed well, it wouldn't have been as good if you saw Joe killed explicitly, as that would ruin the tension. It's a common storytelling technique, leave the audience to make up their own minds. Like the Sopranos.

As to GodChild, you were in jail when your mother died, if you did attend her funeral (which I believe you would've done), there'd have been no gameplay as you'd been under police guard. And the Irish burnt down your house cause that one guy was trying to prove himself. Also they're psychos.

As to GodChild, you were in jail when your mother died, if you did attend her funeral (which I believe you would've done), there'd have been no gameplay as you'd been under police guard. And the Irish burnt down your house cause that one guy was trying to prove himself. Also they're psychos.

I know why they set the house on fire, that wasnt the question really.

Its more like when he got out of jail, he could have went to the Burial sight and paid his respects to his mother, the new Irish leader could have someone tail him to the Grave sight and do a drive by or something, and burn his house down.

The story could have been done in many ways, i just feel there was somethings that could have been add to make the game a little longer, still a good game.

I enjoyed how the game ended, leaves it to us to make our own interpretation of what happens.

You really gotta feel bad for Joe, the guy turns down Carlo Falcone's offer to kill his best friend and be made a Capo, and in the end just gets shafted by Leo. You can see how blindsided Joe was by everything. You can also sense the guilt Vito feels when Leo tells him Joe wasn't part of the deal. You never know, there might be some DLC that continues this story further, that would be nice.

I don't see why they had to off Joe though, the man wasn't a rat like Henry, and sure he helped Vito with causing the war, but still, he could have been let off like Vito. I guess Leo didn't owe him anything like he did Vito, but I don't think killing Joe made an example to anyone.

These are my thoughts so far.

Another example is Tessio in The Godfather, almost exactly the same thing.

There were so many ways it could've ending, I was expecting them to be arrested when they left the observatory. As soon as Leo said "Vito, you're with me", I was thinking "Joe get in the same car as them!!" He came across as a prick in all the trailers and everything, but it's a testament to the writing and actor how you actually grow to him and are gutted when that happens.

Well, Vito and Joe got themselves out of plenty of hairy situations. I like to imagine Joe somehow getting the upper hand on those guys in the car with him.

Then Joe shows up at the cathouse. Vito sees him as he's coming in and goes up to confront him, words are spoken between them, and Vito shows his loyalty to Joe resulting in a shootout between the two of them and Leo's men.

In the end the two of them takedown Leo and his men, escape the arriving police, and hightail it to the train station, hop aboard and skip town.

That's what I would have liked to see.

I was kinda hoping Vito would've expected the backstabbing and been ready to shoot everyone in the car. 1 to the guy next to him 1 in Leos forhead and one to the back of the drivers skull causing him to drive off the road and into the water...similar things have been done before but it wouldve been a much better ending than him just giving up like that.

From what I gathered from the story was that you where going to the observatory so that Carlo could take you out right? Sure he was going to get Joe to do it as a way of Joe saving himself.

Maybe Leo caught wind of this and knew that Joe would now be a potential liability because he had accepted to kill Vito?

In any case I was gutted when we knew Joe was going to die. As soon as Leo said 'Vito, your with me' I knew that was the end for Joe.

I feel that Carlo never really needed to be taken out and it was all a power play by Vinci and Leo for control of the city.

Would like to see sone DLC answering some questions and giving us closure to be honest.

Was a decent ending though and fits with many mob films.

Thanks Woody.

The ending was a disappointment. Left some questions unanswered after you and Joe leaves the observatory. The game just ends with Joe & Vito going in different directions in 2 separate cars. okay so right.

1. What Cat-house did they go to and why didnt they show them entering the cat-house and Vito spazzing on them about the separation?
  2. How did they kill Joe, or did they kill Joe? Assuming he looks back & question why are they going different ways.
  3. Where did they take Joe? Does he live and go after Leo & the other Chinese guy for trying to kill him.
  4. Does Vito kill Leo for killing Joe & why wasn't there a To be continued.. for such an opened ending.
  5. What happens to Vito after Joe's death.

The ending could have gone so much further then just the cars going in different directions & then credits.Show what happen. I would have rather see a Multi-ending game then just this cheap ending.

The little problems with the game is they tried to go real, but when you honk the horn the hands stay on the wheel. When you put your car in the garage, its go black and you just pop up, why not drive the car in and out.

They say what happens to the mother, but why wasn't there a mission for you to see her Grave sight (To pay his respect)and you end up getting set up, why set the house on fire.

As stated before i wished they kept the multiple endings and then just pick this one.I hope there will be DLC to justify the ending.

Maybe they tried to leave it for a sequel maybe? Tbh I was also disappointed with the game aswell, this is because it was being developed for a while and for it to only be like a 10 hour campaign thats pretty poor tbh, I was expecting the game to be a very in depth Gangster GTA type game but it felt quite linear and pretty weak. The combat and the cover system was pretty poor aswell. Glad I rented it tbh.

I don't understand the problem with having an open-ended ending, really. It leaves you to come up with your own assumptions and it leaves the story simmering in your head after you've played it. I'm not saying it's the "Inception" of video games, just that it's a nice change.

The way I see it, Vito made mistakes and caused a lot of shit in the city, but he was generally the guy taking care of things for guys like Eddie, Joe and Henry. They were the ones taking him along for these things and Leo knew this, because he knew Vito. Joe, on the other hand, was the instigator for a lot of these missions and really just a troublemaker. Leo probably assumed that if he let him live, he would just get Vito into more trouble and cause more shit for his family.

On another level, it's a message to keep people away from a life of crime. No matter how much money, how many nice cars and beautiful woman and stylish clothes the mafia gets you, you can never truly be happy. You always live on edge and you always run the risk of dying or losing those close to you. In the end, Vito lost everything. His parents are dead, his sister hates him, he's alienated or killed every mob family in the city and his best friend is dead. Nothing is left for Vito in the end.

And based on that, I don't see the reason for being able to continue playing after the end of the game.

I think the devs were pretty clear on this one in saying that the "open world" was more there to give us an ambiance, an idea of where we are. The result? They built a beautiful city, honestly better looking and more "real" than any GTA game, even 4. They built a story that, although very derivative of a lot of gangster movies, was very well told and felt like a movie, and a fun game to play. It could have been longer, with more side missions and stuff like that, and for that it does lose points as an overall game. Hell, more side missions might have added more to the story. But they do tell a good story of a man and his journey through trying to make something of himself and consistently making the wrong decisions.

I'd give the story a solid 8.5 out of 10... I really liked the ending and felt it was the best possible choice, and that it didn't need more explanation, and while a few more side missions and exploring possibilities could have given us a better feel for the timeline and overall story, I don't think it takes away from the game.

Gameplay would be a 7 out of 10. I thought the game was fun and kept itself fresh throughout, with limited repetition for missions. There was a bit too much driving all things considered, and some side missions, again, would have been a nice touch, but I've played worse games in my life.

Graphics/etc would be a 6.5 out of 10. I loved the look of the city, but the faces were annoying and the game was pretty glitchy and sometimes took away from the game.

Overall this is a 7.5 out of ten, pretty good, a fairly easy platty and potential with DLC and a sequel, but it could have been a lot better.

It was also good how it didn't over state your importance, you are always just a soldier, except maybe the last few, but you're still pretty low down the ranks. Also most games let you accumulate everything you get over the full course of the game, but it was well worked how occasionally you lose everything (I was so gutted when I lost my suits!) and are struggling for money. The payment system for missions was good, how you never end up particularly rich, and most of the money you make is owed to other people.

Ugh... just finished the story and the ending was pretty bad. The problem with open endings is that your relying on a follow up to complete the story and although Mafia 3 might happen, I far from certain and it'll probably be on the Playstation 4 if they take as long as they did with this one. Also... why no free roam after the game ends? It's not as if Vito dies... or does he? I didn't fully understand the ending :confused:

Am all for open endings, but there is a good open ending and there is a copout. Latter happens when storyteller isn't sure what to do with ending and more often than not consists of a WTF twist just for sake of WTF Twist. Stephen King being a proclaimed offender with 5-star wanted rating for copout endings.

Mafia 2 falls in the latter. I agree with one who said ending was sad, but not perfect. If it weren't so vague/open it would be sad and perfect. It maybe sad, but very well might not be. Left open just for DLC/Sequel/whatever-is-in-thing-when-it-comes-to-moneygrabbing.

Still, props to the team for coming up with characters that one cares for, even though the lead hardly has any redeemable qualities.

The end was good. For all intents and purposes, Vito should have been dead. Someone had to pay for his mistakes.

What I didn't like was the scene with Derek. You just don't go and wack a made guy. There were plenty of witnesses to it.

All and all, I would have liked to have been given a choice in the decisions in the game. I sure as hell wouldn't have chosen to turn on Derek or vouch for Henry.

The Derek thing lowered my score for the game. Sure the guy was a prick and he killed his father. But, he didn't care about his father and he knew he was a drunk loser. The story just didn't fit.

The Derek thing lowered my score for the game. Sure the guy was a prick and he killed his father. But, he didn't care about his father and he knew he was a drunk loser. The story just didn't fit.

Agreed. When Vito puts the gun on Derek I really wasn't feeling like: Let's kill this fat fuck for killing my father, since we'd never seen him and no one mentioned him positively. It felt a bit forced.

Finished the story today and I have to say, it was a decent and moody wrap-up to a very entertaining game that took the basics of an open worls sandbox game and turned it into something daringly different without reinventing the genre.

I'm not surprised a lot of people are calling this an "open ending". Because it sure feels that way. We leave Vito right in the middle of things, at a moment in his life where he has just seen his best friend being taken elsewhere, very likely to be shot, killed and buried to bring an end to all the unrest among the families and the other players in the city.

But let's face it, the main story conflict of the families and the little drug turf war has been resolved. Actually, make that plural, since the situation with Derek wrapped up a lot of other things for Vito on a personal level as well. Could the game have given us more closure? Yes, absolutely. One small final mission of sorts, that might have worked. Or maybe even a montage, I could've gone for that. Still, there's always the danger the plot loses steam that way (remember the criticism some people had about Red Dead Redemption's final missions), so I understand the choice to end the tale right there after the intense gun fight. An interesting choice and a nice change of pace.

Does it leave us hanging with questions? Yes, some. But less than you might think, because no matter how curious I am to find out what happened to some of the main and supporting characters after the end of the game, some of it simply wouldn't have "mattered" in the bigger scheme of things. It wouldn't have been relevant to this game and this story. That said, I'm all for Mafia III picking up Vito's story throughout the rest of the fifties, maybe early sixties.

Final point, I felt the gameplay of the final two chapters kind of narrowed the story's focus too much. The early chapters are an almost perfect mixture of stealth, driving from A to B, car chases, shootouts, original set pieces and cutscenes, but the final two chapters turn into one big gunfight. And, at Hard difficulty, pretty tough ones at that, too. I understand they tried to go for a big epic finale, but a little more variety wouldn't have hurt there.

All in all, I liked the game a lot. Good characters, pretty basic yet interesting story and gameplay that, after getting used to the camera and some of the driving controls, has overall been very enjoyable.