source of Blu-ray fault

Colonel_Gerdauf

sorry if i have repeated other threads, but im looking for a specific answer, where nobody is giving me a clear explaination.

Back to the question, I have a 3rd gen 80GB PS3 and i had it for a year and a half. Today, i have played the entire last mission of Battlefield Bad Company 1. When it came to the final stages, the cutscenes were glitching and juddering until it froze. i pressed skip. The gameplay was still working, although the voices and some gunfire noises were gone. when i shot down the heli, it showed another frozen cutscene. i pressed skip this time and it lead to another one which was unskippable. At this point none of the controller commands where working, so i was forced to do a manual eject. it kept making buzzes. That left me with a reboot.

While the ps3 retained normal function, the disc was no longer showing in the GAME menu. i ejected and re-inserted the game and the drive was not making any noise it is supposed to, but the prossessing logo keeps on going and going. I put in a few other games, the same thing. I have yet to try out CDs and DVDs, but i hope at least they work when BDs do not.

I have read several walkthroughs and "warnings", but all it has done is furthur confuse me. I know a fault has occured in the drive (and in bad timing to do so), but what i dont know is if it is a SOFTWARE(corrupted driver) or HARDWARE(worn out mechanisms) problem with the drive, and what the best option is for either case.

I request a technical but straightfoward answer if you can.

Sound to me as if you just have a hardware issue with the blu ray laser. Since the cut scenes require the disk usage more I would suspect. The laser dying on you would cause it to be weak and not at 100% strength causing it to freeze up trying hard to read the disk and not being able to due so therefore the game would be freezing on you.

I heard that there is a technique to solve software issues.

:backup>

forced recovery>

reinstall drivers>

full reformat >

backup recovery:

I played BFBC for a whole year, and it had run flawlessly before, so it was not asking for alot of power from the drive. but if the lens HAS worn out, what do i do? where do i find a replacement drive? i have enough skill to understand the underlying fundamentals, but i fear the drive is placed in a fagile or sofisticated location, like the parts of the dualshock 3. Is it easy?

Your lens has to be bad on the PS3 then unless your getting the YLOD. I've never heard of a software problem on the PS3 causing it to not read disks. And I have never heard of the reinstall driver option on the PS3. Just search youtube and you will find videos on how to disassemble your ps3 and replace the whole drive/lens. Use google to find a place to purchase the lens but make sure you get the correct lens for your PS3

if a new PS3 slim is $300

and repairs/replacement outside of the 1Y warranty is $150

what is the typical cost of the drive?

i CAN do repairs, and I understand its cheaper, but i think it will be much easier overall to hand it in to Sony.

I dont even know the specific source of the fault; control chip, lens, BIOS, motor, etc. and there is the risk that replacing the drive does nothing and the problem lies outside the drive. To add to the problem, i do not know where to get the PS3 drive or "repair kit" without going online (and i cannot buy anything online for simple reasons, thats why the only way i can buy DLC is tru voucher cards)

this is the kind of thing i have

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwFoL3KUJ8Y]YouTube - PS3 DISC ERROR, DISC DRIVE PROBLEM[/ame]

can somebody give a clear answer?

i how have 2 options before im left with the more risky measures:

-reformat + back up (also eliminating the vacant 11GB that was intended for Linux)

-use disc cleaner (assuming that the lack of the spin is from a dirty lens)

where do i buy the whole drive in situations where either the lens or control chip is actually damaged?

the PS3 does not really help narrow down to the specifc faulty component.

Edited by Colonel_Gerdauf

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think that it's necessarily that people aren't interested in helping you, it's that you have a very specific and technical question. I'm guessing people don't know the answer.

In my few minutes with google I found that you are looking at around $80 for an "unused" laser. Though, is it really unused? From what I know, Sony doesn't sell these parts, so the reseller must be getting them from somewhere unless they are breaking down new systems for parts.

The way I see it, you are looking at a $70 difference for the chance that your fix works. If it doesn't, then you are still out the $150 for Sony or $300 on new system.

This happened to me last year with similar symptoms as yours. For me I sprung for the new slim. Later I came to find out that my local gamestop buys broken ps3 consoles. I got $70 for my broken system...and they knew ahead it wasn't reading discs. That saved me a little money and still allows for system to system transfer of all your data.

Sorry for the wall of text...good luck to you.

Edited by MrE_the_Great

I don't think that it's necessarily that people aren't interested in helping you, it's that you have a very specific and technical question. I'm guessing people don't know the answer.

In my few minutes with google I found that you are looking at around $80 for an "unused" laser. Though, is it really unused? From what I know, Sony doesn't sell these parts, so the reseller must be getting them from somewhere unless they are breaking down new systems for parts.

The way I see it, you are looking at a $70 difference for the chance that your fix works. If it doesn't, then you are still out the $150 for Sony or $300 on new system.

This happened to me last year with similar symptoms as yours. For me I sprung for the new slim. Later I came to find out that my local gamestop buys broken ps3 consoles. I got $70 for my broken system...and they knew ahead it wasn't reading discs. That saved me a little money and still allows for system to system transfer of all your data.

Sorry for the wall of text...good luck to you.

thx but right now i only want the model code of the drive kit (not lens-only), for 3rd gen PS3s

do you know?

• 1 month later...