Is this worth the effort?

i'm raaaaaaather interested in getting this :think:

seeming everyone is saying it's easy, i take it 428 is quite a highly recommended game?

• is it worth the hours of effort?
  • are there any decent, easy to follow, english guides?
  • what are the good & bad points of 428?

i'm raaaaaaather interested in getting this :think:

seeming everyone is saying it's easy, i take it 428 is quite a highly recommended game?

• what are the good & bad points of 428?

I'm looking for one of these as well. I bought this game recently, thinking it'd be easy enough to work my way through, but it turns out my Japanese is really rusty. I'm inching forward through this game really slowly and wishing I had a guide.

That aside, it does seem pretty amusing from the short while I've spent with it, although my playtime is limited enough on it that my opinion doesn't count for much.

• 10 months later...

I believe that this game is one of those sound novel games, kinda like choose your own adventure books where you can choose the path you want to go. There is a lot of Japanese reading usually in those. They'll prolly have subs if most of it are in conversation forms instead of just reading which is much better but a lot of Japanese comprehension would be a must for this game to be enjoyed to its fullest.

• 10 years later...
On 3/5/2010 at 8:08 PM, vixen007 said:

Indeed this game is quite long to finish... doing the story related trophies can last up to an hour each, more if you kinda get lost even when using a guide. But I mostly like the story, I find it compelling and interesting... maybe because there really isn't a proper skip option that we're forced to read the story.  With a bit of tweaking the plot could be rehashed to fit into a hollywood blockbuster - given the right actors/actresses are casted of course.

Seeing that the OP was posted a decade ago, I'm glad that we have an English version right now... It may not be perfect but with a bit of common sense there's nothing that could get you stuck with a bad ending or a dead end.  The guide we have is fairly easy to follow and may perhaps be the only one available and can't be found anywhere else.

what are the good & bad points of 428?

Good points - the Japanese cast I find entertaining, very anime-ted.  I like the way the game ended up as a quasi-FMV-VN, for a change we see real faces and not just some manga drawn clips.  You can tell that some effort was put into the production of this game.  I also like the subtle plug-ins of popular Japanese products like Casio, Honda, Meiji, Sony, Sharp - a time when Made In Japan was the leader in the electronics industry, pre-Korean product invasion of course. Aya Kamiki dubbed the Japanese Avril Lavign is everywhere... 

The Bad - the Antagonist plot is kinda unrealistic and the age of the character just doesn't make that much sense.  Seems like they just tacked-in the Japanese kid-hero trope.  It's comparable to TMNT it terms or over the top character bio - first being teenagers... then mutants who are ninjas at the same time... on top of that they're also turtles... This Antagonist is no different (WARNING spoilers inside

Spoiler

... a young adolescent girl... who happens to be CIA and a covert operative in the Middle-East... who's also an expert in weapons, hand-to-hand combat, martial arts, hacking... almost as if she has super-powers that combines the strengths of all the other characters - a god-complex... It's just so over-board, quite an incredible yet unbelievable character.  See her face and you can't help but think that she's only a child... They really went ham with the TMNT concept... and the plot twist in the end? 😵

Cindy Johnson plays the faux Canaan (who actually is Alphard).

... to continue with the bad points, the dialogue can't be skipped fast enough and if you do use the fast-forward feature you could miss important jump points that help you progress further into the story... aaaaaaaand the game is looooong!

That's just about it.  Still a fantastic game though... 

Edited by Naps
v1.3 just because Don't Stop Me Now is playing in the background...