Playstation banning shovelware: No more EZPZ

Noid

Article: PlayStation Bans Shovelware And Easy Platinum Games On The Playstation Store. - DEX.EXE (dexdotexe.com)

A real win; I honestly didn't think they'd actually ever do anything about the free cash flow, but there it is, it would seem. It was getting annoying seeing all the trophy spam games in the store, cluttering it up, and it's a bit shameless to be making games to take advantage of really what amounts a lot of the time to an addiction.

Soap boxing aside, just figured I'd share here as I didn't see a thread on it already. RIP Xump Jump and The Jumping Burrito.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hopefully this turns out to be true as it was getting ridiculous. It was okay a few years ago when the easy platinum titles were actually proper games such as Headlander, Black the Fall etc.  Nowadays though the EZPZ stuff is just a load of crap that isn't worth anyone's time.  It will be good to see this clutter phased out going forward.      

• Like 1

Went asking around to a few this morning and can confirm that this is indeed true. I don't trust the site that initially posted the article and wanted to make sure before commenting anything, but it is indeedily do true. Fun times. 

Edited by Velvet
  • Thanks 2

All games that have already been approved will still release, so you're still looking at a few weeks worth of jumping games and animal "letter" games, but the change should be noticeable mid-late December. Definitely by the New Year at the latest. Ratalaika, Sometimes You, and other publishers like them are not effected by any of this since they publish full games, just short trophy lists. It's just the copy/pasta. 

I wish I could share the actual images with you guys but I love my sources too much to put them at that risk, but the "delisting" rumor isn't quite delisting. If there's a breach in the new contract, those games can't be searched for in the store and can only be accessed from a direct link, i.e. search on google and use that link. Them using the word "delisted" was probably a bad idea, but it's more in line with the "can't be discovered" part. I know this was part of that original link so just clarifying that is the only place delisted was used was for being searched for. The games already alive and well will remain as such. 

12 minutes ago, Velvet said:

I wish I could share the actual images with you guys but I love my sources too much to put them at that risk, but the "delisting" rumor isn't quite delisting. If there's a breach in the new contract, those games can't be searched for in the store and can only be accessed from a direct link, i.e. search on google and use that link. Them using the word "delisted" was probably a bad idea, but it's more in line with the "can't be discovered" part. I know this was part of that original link so just clarifying that is the only place delisted was used was for being searched for. The games already alive and well will remain as such. 

I think this is good to hear. They were clogging up the main pages, so they needed moving into their own page, but other than that I don't see the problem with these kinds of games. They certainly aren't for me, but that doesn't mean other people don't want to buy them. If people wish to spend their money on trash then that's their choice. Supply and demand. 

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I'm always amused at how much more civil it is here versus psnp when it comes to the spicy topics lol

Not me logging onto that site for the first time in months to yell at someone again >< 

I'm also getting permission to share the screenshots here so you guys can see what it all looks like. Learned my lesson after GT7, lol. Stand by. 

9 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Not me logging onto that site for the first time in months to yell at someone again >< 

I'm also getting permission to share the screenshots here so you guys can see what it all looks like. Learned my lesson after GT7, lol. Stand by. 

Appreciate you doing the investigative work here V! :D

59 minutes ago, staytrue1985 said:

I don't see the problem with these kinds of games. They certainly aren't for me, but that doesn't mean other people don't want to buy them. If people wish to spend their money on trash then that's their choice. Supply and demand. 

I was thinking the same way but I once read an interesting comment on psnp (for once). Trophy hunting is an addiction at least for some people, I don't think anyone really ever wanted to buy these games, but it was the quickest way to get their fix, and they had to in order to stay on top of the leaderboards. Sure they could've stopped but stopping something you've been doing for 10+ years is not that easy for everyone.

The devs took advantage of their addiction to make easy money and I'm glad Sony finally reacted.

• Like 1

Just now, Easty said:

I was thinking the same way but I once read an interesting comment on psnp (for once). Trophy hunting is an addiction at least for some people, I don't think anyone really ever wanted to buy these games, but it was the quickest way to get their fix, and they had to in order to stay on top of the leaderboards. Sure they could've stopped but stopping something you've been doing for 10+ years is not that easy for everyone.

The devs took advantage of their addiction to make easy money and I'm glad Sony finally reacted.

What if I told you that a few of devs taking advantage of the situation were all the same person 👀

1 minute ago, Easty said:

I wouldn't be surprised 😅 But why though? They couldn't release all these games under the same name?

You can only release x amount of games a week, this gave them the chance to release a lot more than that, lol. Imagine if Rockstar owned GTA, TLoU, and GoW and they tried to release all 3 in one week, Sony would be like "can you not". But because they're all separate, they can. The gaming industry is a fickle fiend. 

2 minutes ago, Velvet said:

You can only release x amount of games a week, this gave them the chance to release a lot more than that, lol. Imagine if Rockstar owned GTA, TLoU, and GoW and they tried to release all 3 in one week, Sony would be like "can you not". But because they're all separate, they can. The gaming industry is a fickle fiend. 

Yeah that makes sense lol

Well I'm sure that person will try to find another loophole anyway, they already tried adding DLCs to bypass the filter on psnp and stay on the front page 👀 

Ok out of protection of the friend, no screenshots (please respect, I'm not about to cross any lines), but I did send to some on Discord as a backup plan (honestly, scarred from GT7 lol). The most recent argument I see over on the twice removed cousin site is the removal of trophies on accounts. 

Those of us who have been around for a long time, we have delisted (like actually delisted) games on our accounts, which include trophies on our accounts, and the trophies weren't removed when the game was. This is no different. The only people who will be... "disciplined", if you will, are the devs/pubs that breach the contract. There is absolutely nothing "user"-based in the new enforcement contract, only dev/pub. Why would a user be punished for something we didn't do? Once a game hits the trophy servers, it's there for everyone to see. There's even record of games getting DLC trophies then never having the DLC actually released (looking at you Scene It you bish). Don't read into the hoot and holler. If you play it and earn trophies, you'll keep your trophies. 

2 hours ago, Easty said:

never bought into that whole addiction rubbish

if u want to win on a competitive leaderboard, u play games that give u the most trophies in the least amount of time

simple

think of every single THL

it was never won by whole played the best games.. it was won by who earned the most trophies within the given time frame

psnp has a lot of emo idiots on it

I read this early in the Morning and was thinking:  Why now? :D

I mean the only possible way is that this 99 Cent Games makes simply allmost no Profit for Sony.

If they can sell a Indie Game for 29,99 or just a 99 Cent Game they would rather sell the Indie Game. But no one buy these Games anymore since all want the 99 Cent Games.

And even if the Sells goes up 20 Times its only about 20 Dollar/Euros and not 29,99 :D

So SONY had this Dream overnight they bannish all Shovel Ware and Sell more Pricey Games in the future. By the Way they now the Good Guys to bannish this Crap Finnaly after 3 Years when this Nonsense really started to get out of Control.

So again: Why Now? 

Its good they do that but why now.