Some questions about streaming

Ivotas

I've been thinking about getting into streaming for a while now. But unfortunately it I can't say that I really understand about all the technological mumbo jumbo when I try to research things online. So I was hoping that some of you guys could help out with some basic info on a few things I'm a bit unclear about.

Before that, I guess I should explain what kind of games I'd like to stream. I would like to stream PS3 and PS4 games as I'm alternating between these two consoles. But I have no desire to go professional with this. Just interested in trying this out and see if I like it. So I with that in mind, my questions below will be focused about equiment I need starting with:

Cam:
I read that with the PS4 you need a PS4 cam to stream. The thing however is that I want to stream gameplays from both PS3 and PS4 so I'm interested if there's a way I can get away with buying just one cam. If yes, what would be the recommendations?

Capture card:

Pretty much the a similar question as with the cam. I know that it's easier working with the PS4 directly but with the PS3 I seem to need an actual capture card. So is there one that I can/shall use for both? If so, which one?

Connection (speed):

I have the most basic of internet connections (don't even know my bandwith tbh but it's definitely the lowest available here in Japan). So far it always served me well but I guess for streaming it would create an unpleasand image to watch since I'm sure there'd be a lot of freezing or stuttering. What kind of connection/bandwith would be recommended?

Computer:

I have a four year old laptop which is anyhting but a gaming laptop. I bought it for office work and basic internet surfing. It still does a good job at that and I have no need to get a new one. But would that be enough for streaming? Sorry if that's a noobish question but with the capture card thing I don't really understand if there is perhaps some high specs required from my computer too. So curious if I can keep what I have.

Just one thing in advance about all the equipment. I know that I cannot go with the cheapest options on all. But at the same time I don't want to pay a furtune if it can be avoided. As I said I don't want to go professional with this. If I can provide a watchable, easy on the eyes stream for whoever is interested to tune it, then that's good enough for me. If anybody has any feedback to share, I'd be super grateful.

• 2 months later...

Sorry for bumping this thread but I've begun setting things up with the things above all cleared up. However now I encounter a little problem I don't really know how to fix. After capturing gameplay and myself playing the video seems slightly choppy at a little slower than the real thing. It's happening throughout but there definitely are moments when we skip some frames respectively things stand still for a split second. Thankfully it's not very bad but still I cannot call this smooth so I would like to check this. But I don't really know how. I though it had to do with upload speed when livestreaming but when I just tried to capture gameplay plus video and save it on my computer the problems remained. Is anybody here who knows how to fix that? We're entering tech wizardry territory I'm too much of a noob at so help would be greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ivotas said:

After capturing gameplay and myself playing the video seems slightly choppy at a little slower than the real thing. It's happening throughout but there definitely are moments when we skip some frames respectively things stand still for a split second. Thankfully it's not very bad but still I cannot call this smooth so I would like to check this. But I don't really know how. I though it had to do with upload speed when livestreaming but when I just tried to capture gameplay plus video and save it on my computer the problems remained.

Are you sure the captured gameplay is actually choppy? I had a similar thing happen to me previously where the captured video I was watching was only choppy in the software I was viewing it in. I uploaded a clip to YouTube to show someone else and that clip was perfectly smooth as I would have expected. 

33 minutes ago, Slamma said:

Are you sure the captured gameplay is actually choppy? I had a similar thing happen to me previously where the captured video I was watching was only choppy in the software I was viewing it in. I uploaded a clip to YouTube to show someone else and that clip was perfectly smooth as I would have expected. 

It looked like this to me and to me friend who was sitting next to me when we tried setting things up. The facecam footage was far worse then the gameplay but there really were some small instances, where we both felt it wasn't as smooth as what we were seeing on the TV. I can make another short video later and upload it to Youtube if you'd like to see what I'm talking about. Would actually be nice to have feedback from somebody who's watching this from somewhere else.^^'

The choppy gameplay can be caused by having the live view on in OBS and Elgato software. If you hide the live view it should stop the chopping or missing of frames. 

If your laptop isn't great then the live view takes priority over the recording which can make it annoying watching back footage. 

4 hours ago, MickeyMix said:

The choppy gameplay can be caused by having the live view on in OBS and Elgato software. If you hide the live view it should stop the chopping or missing of frames. 

If your laptop isn't great then the live view takes priority over the recording which can make it annoying watching back footage. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it does seem to look a bit smoother than before. It's not perfect though. My facecam footage now seems to do a lot worse than the gameplay, which I hope is because in the testphase I'm still using my integrated laptop cam. Can that be an issue or is that unrelated?

As far as the gameplay footage is concerned. As I said, it's not perfect but that's not what I'm aiming for as I don't plan to go professional. But I would like that it looks at least tolerable, which I myself don't quite think it's there yet. I had to pick a resolution of 720 dpi because it definitely looks worse if I go higher. So I wanted to ask if anybody here's willing to watch a two minute test video where I'm getting my ass kicked by Gna in GoW: Ragnarök and give me feedback? I listed it private on Youtube and could share the link with anyone who'd be willing to endure watching that.😂

What are the specs on your laptop? If you search System Information in Windows search and post the info from that table that would help determine. 

Em7mvES.png

I'm going to assume this is just your laptop not being powerful enough to do everything at once. I had what sounds like similar issues when I was using a laptop prior as well where I could only use capture program for taking screenshots when doing guides, but recording or streaming was basically too much even if it was the only thing that was running on it. 

4 hours ago, Gage said:

What are the specs on your laptop? If you search System Information in Windows search and post the info from that table that would help determine. 

Em7mvES.png

I'm going to assume this is just your laptop not being powerful enough to do everything at once. I had what sounds like similar issues when I was using a laptop prior as well where I could only use capture program for taking screenshots when doing guides, but recording or streaming was basically too much even if it was the only thing that was running on it. 

Thanks for the suggestion. Just did as you requested. Here are the specs. Hope the German won't be too much of a hassle:

Spoiler

SXssAJA.png

Does that help to determine if that's the problem?

Edited by Ivotas

20 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it and it does seem to look a bit smoother than before. It's not perfect though. My facecam footage now seems to do a lot worse than the gameplay, which I hope is because in the testphase I'm still using my integrated laptop cam. Can that be an issue or is that unrelated?

As far as the gameplay footage is concerned. As I said, it's not perfect but that's not what I'm aiming for as I don't plan to go professional. But I would like that it looks at least tolerable, which I myself don't quite think it's there yet. I had to pick a resolution of 720 dpi because it definitely looks worse if I go higher. So I wanted to ask if anybody here's willing to watch a two minute test video where I'm getting my ass kicked by Gna in GoW: Ragnarök and give me feedback? I listed it private on Youtube and could share the link with anyone who'd be willing to endure watching that.😂

I'm definitely willing to look. Perhaps seeing the video I can help get down to the issue for you 😊

Sorry for the double post, but I got a new question which I think should go here rather than deserving it's own thread. Basically I'm at the point where I'm seriously considering to purchase a new laptop to serve as my streaming computer. Is there any chance somebody could provide some details on what specs I should keep in mind?

For clarification, I'm not planning to use this laptop for anything else but capturing gameplay and camera to livestream and/or record. For everything else, I would still be using my current laptop which seems to a little bit on the weaker side (which makes sense since I bought it with the purpose of writing stuff rather than playing). Also it's important for me to mention that I don't want to play games on the laptop. I'm exclusively a console player. Unfortunally when I google around for good streaming laptops, I get results that all show actual gaming laptops. But I don't need laptops able to run games at the best performance. I just want to capture and stream, do I really need a gaming laptop for this or not?

Also it has to be a laptop. I neither can afford nor keep a tower PC where I am located at. Hence the question. If anybody could provide some feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hey-hey! Me again with a new question on the subject of streaming. This time it's about sound delays. I have two separate questions on that matter:

1. With the new set up I have now (bought a new laptop to use just for streaming) everything runs smoothly BUT the game sound is slightly delayed. It's really less than a second but it's still easy to notice. With my old, far inferior laptop I didn't have this problem so I'm sure it's a setting thing. Anybody have any idea what I could change? I'm using OBS as software btw.

2. The actual big question. Even if there was no delay in the gameplay capture itself, the capture is still a bit behind the actual gameplay for obvious reasons. I know it has to be like this, so I'm not asking to fix this. But the issue I'm having now is that I do watch the actual gameplay on TV but listen to the audio from the gameplay I'm capturing. I do this because at the moment I'm not having a set up where I can use an actual indipendant mic. So I'm using the mic on my headphones, which means my headphones have to be connected to the laptop that captures. Hence that's where I'm getting the sound from. So even if there's no delay in the actual capture footage, the sound is a little behind my actual gameplay which throws me a bit off. 

I would like for me personally to actually follow the real gameplay sound while at the same time speaking into the mic. So my question is if there's anything that I could even do about this or not? I've seen console streamers use headphones with integrated microphones so I would imagine that there is a way how they avoid this, unless they a) play with sound delay or b) watch the capture screen instead which means there would be an input delay. I thought that they avoid those problems because they are streaming from the console itself. But that's only possible from PS4 and upwards. You can't stream PS3 games directly. So if there's a way to handle this problem, I'd be interested to hear what could be done.

TL;DR for #2, I would like to listen to my actual gameplay sound directly on my headphones while using the mic from the same headphones to speak in my livestreams/videos. Is there any way to do this?

I hope I was able to explain question #2 well. It's always kinda difficult for me to explain these things in written words.^^'

Edited by Ivotas