PST Trophy Tribute 2: Ragnarok - Feedback Thread

Velvet

hvcWIKw.png

Well, ya did the thing! After a long month and many Gods to appease, you have completed the event. Go you! As we do with the larger events, we'd like to take this time to get some Feedback from you guys. You don't have to use the questions we provide and can just wing your own, it's up to you. The questions are listed at the bottom of this post, but first we have the final leaderboard stats for you guys.

Overall:

• 1st: Egyptians (45 Points, 3717 Tributes)
  • 2nd: Greek (27 Points, 3342 Tributes)
  • 3rd: Aztec (26 Points, 2746 Tributes)
  • 4th: Norse (12 Points, 1523 Tributes)

~Adding in the Blocks would not have changed these positions~

• Hunt: Egyptians (471), Greek (405), Aztec (247), Norse (215)
  • Leader/Plats: Greek (139), Aztec (143), Egyptians (119), Norse (62)
  • Love: Egyptian (117), Greek (72), Norse (61), Aztec (29)
  • Metalworking/Bronze: Egyptian (1127), Aztec (1072), Greek (818), Norse (568)
  • War: Egyptian (198), Greek (113), Aztec (104), Norse (50)
  • Intelligence: Greek (824), Egyptian (326), Norse (152), Aztec (127)
  • Death: Egyptian (98), Aztec/Greek (71) - Tiebreaker went to Aztec, Norse (8)
  • Water/Flood: Egyptians (1007), Aztec (745), Greek (739), Norse (320)
  • Trickster: Egyptians (163), Aztec (139), Greek (94), Norse (64)
  • Travel: Egyptians (91), Aztec (69 - nice), Greek (67), Norse (23)

For giggles...

• Block 1 (Vowels): Greek (61), Norse (40), Egyptians (38), Aztec (36)
  • Block 2 (Money): Egyptians (36), Greek (26), Norse (3), Aztec (0)
  • Block 3 (Food): Egyptians/Noid (107), Norse (32) Greek (10), Aztec (1)
  • Block 4 (Collectibles): Aztec (45), Greek (34), Norse (21), Egyptians (0)

More in depth stats soon™. Maybe. If you're nice.

So, tell us what you thought. 

• If you're going to copy/paste this list, please paste using ctrl+shift+v so we don't get the dark/light mode background color error. It is blinding I tell you. 
  • How'd you like it overall? 
  • What was your favourite part/what would you like us to keep around for next time? 
  • What was your least favourite part/what would you change next time? 
  • How did you feel about the addition of Blocks? 
  • Was there enough variety amongst all the Gods? 
  • The EDs tried something new this time around and had an ED not participate to remain neutral while processing, did this help at all or didn't really notice any difference? 
  • Other things here if you want. Pictures of your pets welcome.
  • Awards coming soon™

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Velvet said:

Leader/Plats: Greek (139), Aztec (143), Egypt...

Positions are off here :p Hopefully the totals have been calculated properly though when it comes to the total scores!

Don't have much feedback, the event was fun!

- I was hoping the blocks would count towards the standings, otherwise I wouldn't have tried as hard on them. :p If it was officially announced that the blocks would not count towards the standings, I think there would have been some better strategizing. For example, the Egyptians had such a large lead by the last block, that it was beneficial for them to not participate at all for the final block. If we had known at the very start that the blocks wouldn't count, it may have influenced some different tactics early on.

- I really liked the Trickster tribute, it was something new that we hadn't really seen before in events. Might help for a future Spring Clean event!! ;) 

- I thought it went on a little too long. I think 2-3 weeks would have been a lot better. 

- If my computer would allow images, I'd post some cute pet pics, but sadly it's too out of date for even the simplest of tasks. :p 

- And yes, I'd love to see some more in-depth stats! Like who contributed the most to each category, or top 5 contributors from each team? :D 

18 minutes ago, Velvet said:
  • What was your favourite part/what would you like us to keep around for next time? 
  • The EDs tried something new this time around and had an ED not participate to remain neutral while processing, did this help at all or didn't really notice any difference? 

1. I liked it, though from a user base perspective, could have stood to have more banter. 

2. My favorite part was the blocks. I like random mini games appearing and I felt it worked well here. There was some slight strategy involved in those (My team didn't touch the last one to delay other teams ability to catch up), and I like that. 

3. My least favorite part honestly had nothing to do with the event but it bothered me the entire time so I'll point it out - the ads on the site these days are *egregious*. Full screen takeovers, autoplaying videos, the whole nasty shebang. I get it, the overlords see this as nothing more than a money machine, but goddamn. Especially on mobile it impaired the posting experience. Before someone pops in and says "sub to remove!" know that I run a different forum on the same software and the tools available have not been put to great use to make the core user experience worth subbing for. Anyway, dead horse. 

4. I liked the addition of blocks, as stated above. 

5. I think there was enough variety yeah. I think we've seen that focusing hard on one God doesn't pan out in the end (nice job spelling guys!), and spreading out and planning well was key. 

6. I've never had much issue in the past with impartiality around here - set up some solid rules to follow and anyone should be able to process just fine. 

7. I'd post a photo of my pet but you only allow images from urls (lol) so nothing from me here today. Fyi self-hosting files would cost them around $3-10 a month. Hey there's that horse again lemme grab my stick.

Overall I enjoyed the event. I'm mostly just a bit sad at the low level of activity on the site overall. I was hoping to come back to a bustling community of posts every minute talking about the latest games, events, etc., but it's pretty dead around here. Sad to see considering how much work I know you all put in. 

• If you're going to copy/paste this list, please paste using ctrl+shift+v so we don't get the dark/light mode background color error. It is blinding I tell you. 

Noted

It was pretty good. I was in a trophy hunting lull and with the event I earned the most trophies within a month since early 2021

I liked that the bronze/platinum trophies were tracked automatically. I like tt events because of the automatic tracking they had there so if more and more things within events are automated that'd be amazing. It'd be a lot of work on the parts of the EDs, but a lot more enjoyable for the participants and with a smaller chance of forgetting to submit things

The blocks. I did my best with them but I had very little motivation to play any other games during them

See above. Maybe if tributes in the blocks got your team points overall it would have been better

*checks the list of gods again* Yes

unknown.png

I made this in case the banter went overboard but I never got to use it

unknown.png

• Awards coming soon™

An thank

How'd you like it overall? 

Great event, very enjoyable.
What was your favourite part/what would you like us to keep around for next time? 

The leaderboard aspect. Love the competition side of things.
Intelligence tributes. I enjoyed keeping track of what Gods I could spell, sitting down in the evening to watch television while working out what letters I've earned while working on other tributes was a nice side-mission of sort. Being able to earn other trophies in between made it different to what we've had before too. Getting stuck on the H's and U's and trying to find which games I could use for them was a nice challenge.
What was your least favourite part/what would you change next time? 

The event would have been much better with bigger teams or more engaged players to make it more competitive. We can't solve the lack of participants easily though. 
Blockers.
How did you feel about the addition of Blocks? 

Hated them.
The inconsistency of the difficulty of the blocker was frustrating. The last blocker being the hardest due to the collectible having a maximum amount of times it could be collected. For how much of a block it was, It came surprisingly late in the event and considering the Egyptians had the lead, it kind of just secured the win and encouraged them to make no submissions for it. The timing was more of a pain personally for me and I guess others too because the blocker was in place over the weekend when I was off. I could have bought games/earn trophies to give us a more exciting race to the finish line on my weekend off work, rather than the Egyptians holding their lead. 
Was there enough variety amongst all the Gods? 

Yes, there was a good variety. Good choices.
The EDs tried something new this time around and had an ED not participate to remain neutral while processing, did this help at all or didn't really notice any difference? 
Other things here if you want. Pictures of your pets welcome.

A little bit? I wouldn't say it's a 'need' though and if the ED wanted to join in and participate I'd rather they got to enjoy that side of things too. At least the submissions were being processed at a good rate.

Thank you for running this event, I did enjoy it! The processing of the submissions looks painful so I appreciate the hard work put in.

Pets - This is Winston, the wanabee snow Leopard Kitten I got during the event:

ZUCVUJe.jpg

• Like 3

• Great event, I like the team events here. Huge thanks to the EDs as always for hosting and managing this. I can't imagine the amount of work. Unfortunately I didn't get to do nearly as much as I would have liked due to the absolute insanity that is my work life right now, but I still felt I could contribute at my own pace. I'm glad there weren't a lot of tributes that required complex eam coordination

What was your favourite part/what would you like us to keep around for next time? 

• I liked the random blocks, but see my comments below for how I would tweak those.

• Time frame was stretching it. I thought the event lost a bit of it's legs in the last week/10 days. Maybe 3 weeks would be ideal? It's tough because I think it would have been hard to accomplish everything you wanted to in a shorter time, but it can be tough to keep engagement for longer stretches. What about perhaps splitting the event into 4 week long blocks, with different tributes each week? That way no team feels too far ahead or behind, as each week is almost a mini competition within the bigger event?

• The blocks were a great. I think that they could be used with more creativity though - because we were in the lead, it was to our advantage not to help with the last block. I don't think this loophole was considered and is an unintended exploit. I would suggest each block have a random reward next time - for example, the winning team could choose to wipe all progress for a competitor's team towards a certain God, or grant an automatic move to first place in a tribute, or have the winning team's block tributes be moved to a God of their choice. A combination of rewards and sabotage could have really changed the overall standings!

• Yep, I think there was something for everyone here. There were a few Gods I didn't contribute towards, and others that fit better with what I was working on. I think it was a good mix

The EDs tried something new this time around and had an ED not participate to remain neutral while processing, did this help at all or didn't really notice any difference? 

• I think EDs should participate. The events are so much work, it's a shame that you don't get to enjoy them. I've never felt that there was anything wrong with the EDs in the event as long as they are spread across the teams.

Pictures of your pets welcome.

• You want pets, I got pets V

Good Dogs

• ItOfe7x.jpg

Bad dogs

• Hrk2qSG.jpg

Guilty dogs

• PXmJXDe.jpg

Possibly broken dogs

• xzbU9lE.jpg
  • No0XppF.jpg

Possibly well behaved dog (that's likely planning mischief)

• NhDr5IK.jpg

And one very fat frog

• HOFjA41.jpg
  • Like 2

• Please no Spring Clean event, let them suffer with these unfinished games on their profile forever! :francis: 
  • Congrats @Road2unner for your first big event, you did a fantastic job here and on the discord
  • V you're the best
3 hours ago, Velvet said:

1658090618036.jpg

That's only 2 out of my 16 pets, though I guess some of them don't count as pets 😛

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If you're going to copy/paste this list, please paste using ctrl+shift+v so we don't get the dark/light mode background color error. It is blinding I tell you.

Thanks for pointing this out...I was wondering how users were pasting white backgrounds into my dark mode.

Great...loads of fun. Loved there were lots of different tributes so you could work on different things. Team events on this site are the best!

I liked the variety of categories. Loved the frequent updates so people could tell what they needed to work on. I did like that there was plenty of head's up on when Blocks were coming.

Blocks...mainly because it blocked you for submitting...lol. See next...

I didn't like the Blocks but it did make the community work as a group...mostly. I think that a reward/penalty should be implemented...like every team has to contribute at least 10% of the total goal or be penalized from submitting tributes for 24 hours or the team that submits the most to the block goal gets a 24 hour head start on the other teams. If Blocks are going to be continued to be used...sumthing will have to be changed or the strategy that the Egyptians used on the last block will be used every time. My hats off to the other teams for completing that collectible Block...by far the hardest of the four.  

I think so. How many did there end up being? 44-45?

Didn't notice but I guess that's good. I thought that things were run fairly and squarely.

I wish there were more players involved. I think that this was advertised well in advance. Sadly, this may show how much the traffic has dwindled since the last team event. Thanks for the great event. Really enjoyed it.

Awards coming soon™

Nice...can't wait. Hopefully stats are Very Soon (Pending Trademark).

Yeah it was alright.

The variety of things people could do, so there was something for just about every kind of player.

I'd always add something to reward playing non-ezpz.

Mildly annoying because it affected how I was playing. I'd make one suggestion on this, an extra point for the team who submitted the most trophies would have been nice. When it turned out this wasn't the case it just felt like you were being annoying for the sake of it. Or maybe even something where the team who does the most trophies for a block, or completes a block somehow first, gets to go back to earning trophies right away and the losing teams need to wait a bit longer. This could have made the blocks a bit more strategic, rather than waiting around for someone to spam those hideous Pig P things.

Sure. Sometimes as I was looking at games I felt as if I spotted something I could use for a tribute but wasn't actually a tribute. Now I don't even remember any times this happen but I think my point is I felt like there could have been other types of trophies for us to aim for, but I suppose doing too many would have been a bit silly.

I noticed absolutely nothing, sorry.I don't see what problem there would have been if there wasn't a neutral person though, but maybe I'm naive.

I liked my teammates. There should be a PST.org Discord server. I don't have any pets. Thank you for organising and running it.

Awards coming soon™

Cool. Get @Jerry Appleby to update his Awards leaderboard.

It was a lot of fun!

I liked how some of the tracking was automated and that we didn't have to manually submit for some of the tributes. Also, I normally dislike spelling events, but this time it ended up being my favourite of the tributes because I was allowed to earn trophies in between. This way, there was a lot less stress in planning and in not having to worry about accidentally popping an extra trophy that would require me to start over.

The blocker tributes. See below for more info.

I have mixed feelings on it. I generally like ad hoc events, like the ones in PST Olympics, but I didn't like how this time we were prevented from contributing to other tributes while the blocker tribute was active. I also didn't like how there wasn't any clarity on the blocker tributes in whether or not they would count toward our total points. If we knew this information, teams could better strategize on where to use their trophies. There were times where we considered not contributing at all to some blocker tributes because we were already in the lead, so there wasn't any incentive for us to work toward them.

Definitely. I went pretty casual this time, but I could contribute most of the trophies I naturally earned toward a tribute.

I didn't notice a difference at all.

Thanks to the EDs for running this event! It was super fun! 😃

It was fine.

I know this is a separate question further on, but the best part for me was the variety. It allowed for flexibility, which is nice, because it meant that I never felt under pressure to contribute to every God even when I knew beforehand that I wasn't going to be able to. Obviously not every participant is going to be able to contribute the same amount as everyone else, for one reason or another, so having this flexibility to do what you're able to is great. 

As for what I would like to keep going forward, well obviously the more that automation is involved with processing stuff the better it is for everyone. Sometimes doing up submissions can be just as much effort as the task at hand. It's something that has featured already in a few events, so keep it up please.

The lack of banter/interactions on-site. This isn't unique to this event, and we all know the reasons why it happens, and I'm not sure there is a solution. Discord is necessary for team planning, but it further takes away from interaction on the site. But even Discord can be quiet as well at times. I feel like with recent big events, hype gets built up leading up to the start and everyone is having a laugh and a good time, and then the event starts and after about a week nobody is really all that bothered anymore. Maybe that's just me and the feeling I get from it, I don't know. Maybe part of it is the length of time that these events run for. I think 3-4 week-long events is asking a lot of most members these days. I think having one or two month-long events every year is fine, annual things like THL or Royal Rumble if it came back, but virtually every event seems to be this huge, 3 or 4 week-long affair. I appreciate the planning and work that goes into it, I just feel like the interest simply isn't there anymore for these type of events, at least not when they happen somewhat frequently. This is just me and my opinion, please don't be offended by it. I appreciate all that the staff do here!

Honestly I wasn't bothered with them. I think I put in a good amount of effort on one or two of them just to speed things up so that we could get back to our tributes, but I took a back seat once I realised that there wasn't going to be any extra points involved for contributing to them. I think it was definitely a missed opportunity by not rewarding the biggest contributors.

Yes! See above. Loved the variety.

I've mentioned this same thing in the past. I really don't mind if EDs participate. I don't think it's fair that you guys put in so much work in creating these events only to then not be able to take part. Who the feck is getting pissy about you guys taking part to begin with? It's a bit of fun, it isn't something super serious. I don't think you guys are going to be cheating or scheming to get an upper hand. I have no problem if you participate, I wouldn't have a problem if you win either. 

I don't have any pets. I still haven't gotten over my last doggo who passed 😢

• Sad 1

If you're going to copy/paste this list, please paste using ctrl+shift+v so we don't get the dark/light mode background color error. It is blinding I tell you.

Okay.

It was alright.

The tracking was great, so we didn't have to submit bronzes or platinum trophies.

See below.

I hated the blocks. I felt that they were an annoyance and served no purpose other than to be annoying. They felt too frequent and they ruined my motivation for the event, since you couldn't contribute to any other tributes. Had the blocks contributed to the standings, as in you get points for being top contributors, I might had felt differently.

There was good variety.

I did notice, and I did feel like it did help to have a neutral person.

No pets.

Awards coming soon™

Nice!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

The lack of banter/interactions on-site. This isn't unique to this event, and we all know the reasons why it happens, and I'm not sure there is a solution...

For what is might be worth, this is why we require manual submissions versus a form. To keep folks coming back and checking and the sorts. It's the most we can do currently, but we're hoping that after the success of this event, we can get back into the groove of deliciously devious events for y'all, lol. 

EDIT:

I don't have any pets. I still haven't gotten over my last doggo who passed 😢

It's been now 12 years and honestly, same. 

Edited by Velvet

Didn’t really take part much so won’t really answer the questions, just a general short and sweet response! *V breathes a sigh of relief* 

I think it was really well planned with good variety and ideas, and there was zero drama at all except a couple of quibbles over submissions being accepted or whatever, but that’s not drama in the finest PST traditions.

Favourite part of the event was Velvz realising the PST Log is absolute gash and switching to PSNP to restore all our sanity. 

I do agree that perhaps it was a little long, I think 2-3 weeks is the sweet spot. It’s been shown many times that month-long events (THL is a great example) that there’s a lot of hype and banter before it starts, everyone is mad keen for a couple of days then there’s a huge drop off. Whether that’s because it’s apparent one person/team is going to win and the enthusiasm dims or just fatigue I’m not sure.

Always happy for EDs to take part in team games or when the rules are laid out beforehand, they put so much effort in they deserve to have some fun too. The only time it’s a little dodgy is if events/rules are kept secret until the start time but they obviously already know what’s coming (Royal Rumble, that Pi QTE although I personally trust Slamma to be honest and he’d have likely won anyway).

Blocks should definitely have entailed some sort of reward or temporary advantage for the team which contributed the most or punish the least. Don’t blame Egyptians for exploiting the loophole, you can’t find them until they’re there anyway if that makes sense, just means we know for next time.

Lack of participation we all know about and can’t be helped, although I do think summer events aren’t always the best for timing. People on holiday, parents have kids off school and god forbid, even a few of us even venture outside!

Really liked the theme and how much it was stuck too regardless, thanks for the event! 

*Sorry @Velvetthis wasn’t really short and sweet was it*

Edited by Darth_Krid

Ok big edit: Because this wasn't addressed nearly as well as it should have been, it wasn't that someone did or didn't want to take part as an ED. This was one because if you know me, you every time an event happens, something happens IRL. The sitting out was to prevent it from having an affect on anything. This event was no exception, please don't read that question like someone sat out and was bummed to do so lol. 

Edited by Velvet
  • Like 2

Do you like The Event?

Yes. Had a Great Time on the Egyptian Disscord Channel. Most Time i was crying for the insanity difficult of my current Game :D

Favorite Task:

Hunt and War was funny.

How do you like the BLOCKS?

First surpised and it was a nice Idea to take the SPeed out at some Points. Nothing Wrong with that. Sure the last part was in Egptians (our) favor but this culd be for everey Team who had the actual Lead.

A ED was missing in Action this Time. Did you notice?

No? I think Vel-chan was not contributing or RoadRunner? No Idea. ED's can participate all good. Even if they kicked me in Royal Rumble and well the Results was that Krid has Won. If you want that than its Fine to participate :D

Enough variety of Gods/Tributes?

Yes.

Picute of Pets?:

No. I had a Cat, a Dog, 3 x Hamster, a Turtle named Shiggy and other Pets but since i work as a Caretaker i have no Time for that :(

Would you Like to Thanks the ED for the Great Work in this Event?

No? :D

How'd you like it overall? I thought it was good fun, with a variety of tasks for various play styles
What was your favourite part/what would you like us to keep around for next time? The fact that it was multidimensional
What was your least favourite part/what would you change next time? Beating a dead horse here, but the shovelware games like Pig P or whatever. Sure, I benefited for the fact that a couple of my team mates were willing to sell their soul to play them, but EZPZ spam ruins so many events. I'd be OK with a blanket rule banning submissions from games with a 95+% completion rate on PSNP. 
How did you feel about the addition of Blocks? Interesting addition. Frustrating for the fact that they kept coming on days that I had free time to earn the stuff I had planned, but so be it. With some tweaks, I think they are worth looking at in the future.
Was there enough variety amongst all the Gods? Yep. 
The EDs tried something new this time around and had an ED not participate to remain neutral while processing, did this help at all or didn't really notice any difference? Didn't really notice a difference - the EDs have been pretty good at being fair in my experience anyway 

Send a starving rat to college?

spacer.png

• Velvet unpinned this topic