Introducing PlayStation Stars – An all new loyalty program

PS Blog Announcement  

"Today, I’m pleased to reveal PlayStation Stars, a brand new loyalty program that celebrates you, the player, for being on this ever growing gaming journey with us. PlayStation Stars will be free to join when it launches later this year. Once you become a member, you’ll earn rewards by completing a variety of campaigns and activities. Our “Monthly Check-In” campaign simply requires you to play any game to receive a reward, while other campaigns require you to win tournaments, earn specific trophies, or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone.

All PlayStation Stars members will have opportunities to earn loyalty points. Points can be redeemed in a catalog that may include PSN wallet funds and select PlayStation Store products. As an additional benefit, PlayStation Plus members enrolled in PlayStation Stars automatically earn points for purchases on PlayStation Store. 

Also, as part of PlayStation Stars, we are unveiling a new type of reward called “digital collectibles.” Collectibles are as diverse as our portfolio of products and franchises. They are digital representations of things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including figurines of beloved and iconic characters from games and other forms of entertainment, as well as cherished devices that tap into Sony’s history of innovation. There will always be a new collectible to earn, an ultra rare collectible to strive for, or something surprising to collect just for fun. 

We hope this new program brings to mind past gaming memories while making you excited for the future with PlayStation: commemorating the gaming eras we created together, charting new paths to explore, and bringing players together for global celebrations. This is just the beginning for PlayStation Stars, and the program will continue to evolve over time. We’re currently doing some early tests on this program before launching it later this year in phased regional rollouts."

17 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

or even be the first player to platinum a blockbuster title in your local time zone

This is impossible for the whole majority of gamers though, because of early copies.

I'll wait and see before expecting anything.

22 minutes ago, Easty said:

This is impossible for the whole majority of gamers though, because of early copies.

I'll wait and see before expecting anything.

You'd think that they would be aware of things like review copies etc. and would adjust the rules accordingly. Make it so that only completions from the official release date onwards will count. I don't know, I'm sure the exact rules will be hashed out before it launches, but even if this one specific element is impossible for most people, the rest of what's on offer still seems decent. PS Plus subscribers earning points for PS Store purchases for example is something that most of us here will be doing quite frequently, so that's good.

I'm also interested in seeing what exactly the digital collectibles entail. They can't be sold or traded so I'm not exactly sure what the point of them is, outside of maybe bragging rights. 

Finally! A few years ago we had so many ways to save money. From Sony Rewards points adding up, to Gamers Club Unlocked from Best Buy ($30 for a 2 Year Sub, and you got 20% off all New games (New as in not Used) as well a few other things), and Amazon Prime also offering 20% off new games as well as other benefits....then all of it went to shit at the same time. As soon as these companies realize the consumer is saving more money than they're making, they scrap it. 

So it'll be interesting to see how this works out. It's the same thing, giving us more than they're getting...so we'll see how long it lasts. 

Edited by Viper

Can’t see a negative side of this as free stuff for doing something you’d be doing anyway is always a welcome regardless of how much you value the particular rewards. Not that it’ll ever impact me but it’d be cool to see some decent rewards for those who win tournaments or are the first person to earn the (P) in their region.

If they just copy the Sony Rewards system for gaining points for earning trophies, then that'd be amazing. 

100 Points per 100 Silver Trophies

250 Points per 25 Gold Trophies 

1000 Points per 10 Platinums. 

1000 Points was enough to get you $10 worth of PSN credit. So for every 10 Plats, I basically had a free $10, and that only added up over time. 

I doubt it's going to be anything like this, and I'd have to assume the point value we earn isn't going to be something that's as quick as we hope it is...but I'm holding out just tiny bit of hope that this whole system isn't a grind fest in it's own right. 

Also, as part of PlayStation Stars, we are unveiling a new type of reward called “digital collectibles.” Collectibles are as diverse as our portfolio of products and franchises. They are digital representations of things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including figurines of beloved and iconic characters from games and other forms of entertainment, as well as cherished devices that tap into Sony’s history of innovation. There will always be a new collectible to earn, an ultra rare collectible to strive for, or something surprising to collect just for fun. 

200.gif

711a8fef5404a72303d7a8b222f43245.gif

MistyExcitableBlacklab-max-1mb.gif

1 hour ago, Meikoro said:

200.gif

711a8fef5404a72303d7a8b222f43245.gif

MistyExcitableBlacklab-max-1mb.gif

They aren't NFTs. It's been pointed out pretty emphatically already. They can't be traded or sold and blockchain technology isn't involved at all. 

3 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

They aren't NFTs. It's been pointed out pretty emphatically already. They can't be traded or sold and blockchain technology isn't involved at all. 

Thats strange. While it sounds like NFT its not :D

Anyway the Market for Crypto-coins are falling down since they got more identical to the acutal World Index and got hacked a good few times now. Not so Safe your Blockchain Thing ehhhh?

I hope the same will hapen for this so called META. I don't need all this digital Nonsense. If its in this Case just to collect than it is another Form of Throphies.

14 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

Thats strange. While it sounds like NFT its not :D

That's what caught a lot of people out. They do kinda sound like NFTs but that thought was quickly shut down almost instantly. Any company in their right mind wouldn't want to go anywhere near that crap. 

I am interested in what exactly they end up being, though, and what the overall point of them is besides just bragging rights. 

12 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

That's what caught a lot of people out. They do kinda sound like NFTs but that thought was quickly shut down almost instantly. Any company in their right mind wouldn't want to go anywhere near that crap. 

I am interested in what exactly they end up being, though, and what the overall point of them is besides just bragging rights. 

Well than its realy just a digital collectible on the PS Stars Profile you can get and show off.

Think of them like our Awards because someone will sure bound to their new Gaming Campaigns like beeing First Platinum Archiver or Torunament Winner.

Well im collect some of them already in some Games. I just buyed a Dragonmaid Avatar DELUXE Edition in Master Duel but just with Points. Do not purchase any real Money on digital Non Play Content. How is that calling :D It will sure motivate some Players to play more.

be interesting if this is a subscription service. hopefully it'll be for any PSN profile. if thats the case id be happy for a new section on my profile to display icons of figurines etc, not only comparing trophies but able to compare these rewards too. PS Home had something like this as i had many rewards in that app. The best was the figures from RE5.

I'm all for it, and hope to get wallet funds too. Doubt it'll be backdated as theres profiles from roughly 15 years old. even trophies dating back 2008.

53 minutes ago, RSmark84 said:

Doubt it'll be backdated as theres profiles from roughly 15 years old. even trophies dating back 2008.

Yeah I doubt it. Sony would owe people SOOOO much if it was retroactive. It'll definitely be "whatever you earn from this point forward" sort of thing. 

• 1 month later...

Digital collectibles were announced during yesterday's State of Play

Today, we provided a first look at the digital collectible rewards that you can earn through PlayStation Stars – which will be free to join. Digital collectibles represent the things that PlayStation fans enjoy, including cherished devices that tap into Sony’s broader heritage in consumer electronics.

These first look examples include a scene with Punto the gondolier from Ape Escape 2, PlayStation 3, PocketStation, Toro and Kuro celebrating a birthday, Chord Machine, and Polygon Man.

Created just for PlayStation Stars, these digital collectibles can only be earned through our loyalty program. In some instances, collectibles will be provided as a way to commemorate past activities, achievements, or product ownership. They range in rarity, just like the actual products on which they are based or the effort required to earn them.  Once you’ve earned collectibles, you can arrange them in a virtual display case within the PlayStation App and, if you choose, you may display your collectibles case within your PSN profile to friends. There will be different ways to acquire or earn collectibles – the primary way will be through completing campaigns.

The campaigns in PlayStation Stars will be fun, delightful, and yes, sometimes challenging to complete.  A campaign may be a point-earning or collectible-earning activity.  One of our first campaigns is “Hit Play/1994,” where members who correctly launch games that match song-based clues receive a special collectible. More campaign details to come.

PlayStation Stars will first launch on the PlayStation App and expand to our console platform in the future. We will launch PlayStation Stars in most markets starting later this month with Asia (including Japan), and the Americas and Europe to follow at a later date.

We look forward to welcoming fans to PlayStation Stars.

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/13/first-look-digital-collectibles-coming-to-playstation-stars/

2 hours ago, Slamma said:

Digital collectibles were announced during yesterday's State of Play

https://blog.playstation.com/2022/09/13/first-look-digital-collectibles-coming-to-playstation-stars/

It's like they've created something designed to be as fundamentally uninteresting to me as possible.

I'm still very much interested in seeing what these digital collectibles are and how they work exactly. It almost seems like an extension to the trophy system in a way, as you're completing specific tasks to unlock them, so maybe that's why it appeals to me. I'm sure some will be an absolute nightmare to earn which will add to the challenge. Good stuff, though. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far and will definitely be checking it out. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Meikoro said:

Wait this is some kind of EXTRA Trophys right?

You earn collectibles to show off from completing certain challenge In-Game.

Sounds familliar to me.

The way I see it and the way it's sort of being pushed is like a profile cabinet. Similar to trophies except I'm assuming it will replace that rediculous accolades section.