• 36-50 Hours
    • 51-75 Hours
    • 76-99 Hours
    • 100-499 Hours
    • 500-999 Hours
    • 1000+ Hours

Ht6nerK.png

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
  5. Voted time should be based on your own personal time spent working towards the platinum.
  6. Do not vote based on "fastest possible run", but rather your own experience in playing the game.
  7. Voted time should be in-game time spent, from first starting game to achieving the platinum.
  8. Vote with honesty and integrity.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Because of some tricky sections on Ronin, and the fact that defeating chapter 3's boss damage-free is tougher than the videos make it appear, I'll also vote 5/10 (closer to 5.5 in reality). I did two full runs: Ronin, where I saw two endings via save backup, followed by Kensei with the final ending, then a quick jaunt up to chapter 4 on Kabuki for clean up. It took me around 12 hours total.

During the initial Ronin playthrough, spamming the stun combo unlocked in chapter 2 (square, square, triangle), and later, the superior rotation stun (back, square, triangle) trivializes most encounters with frequent finishing moves, while simultaneously regaining your health. Better still, only the final attack of these techniques actually needs to land for the stun to occur. What is game balance? Use your ranged weapons to deal with the more pesky enemy types, such as spearmen. After this, it's mostly smooth sailing.

For Kensei, the rotation attacks are safe and effective against most foes when timed correctly. Disregard what your master advised in the tutorial, approaching opponents with your back turned for a swift strike. Projectiles should be saved to instantly eliminate riflemen, bowmen, spearmen, and the annoying varieties of spirit enemies late game. This difficulty is laughable compared to Ronin, and even the bosses are simple to beat hitless, with one exception...

I finally faced Shogun Kagerou on the Kabuki setting, making sure to collect every stat upgrade on the way there, and backing up my save at the last shrine. The only strategy which worked for me required using the place swap parry ability found in this chapter, to your left immediately after leaving the stables. Otherwise, my stamina was always exhausted before long, which guaranteed death. Here's exactly how I approached the fight:

1. Parry, followed by a heavy combo (triangle x2), and another parry almost immediately. Do this loop 3-4 times, then perform the place swap parry (towards+L1) and quickly move to the opposite side of the screen to recover stamina.

2. Quick turn towards him, and throw all of your kunai for a stun, providing additional recovery time. When he reaches you, do the above parry/heavy loop another three times, then place swap again. Run to the opposite side and quick turn, as before.

3. Fire two arrows. This time, only do the loop twice when he arrives, before place swapping, and fleeing to the opposite side.

4. Another quick turn, followed by shooting 1-2 arrows. At this point, he'll probably change things up, delivering a fast series of strikes you'll need to block, before doing the parry loop again. Sometimes you'll get lucky, however, and he'll just go for another predictable overhead swing. If I'm not mistaken, it should be possible to finish him off right here, with another few heavy combos. If not, you'll need to place swap only once more.

If at any time he hits you, simply pause the game and restart checkpoint before you die, to save yourself the trouble of closing the app to download your backup. Got it done in five attempts with this strat; the projectiles are really helpful, and the passing parry is absolutely necessary for success. Unlike the videos I've seen, Kagerou never backed off to let me regain stamina, so either that got patched, or I was extremely unlucky.

• 2 months later...

I gave it a solid 7/10.

There are some difficult fights on ronin setting (hard). And after that you need to go through Kensei setting, a one hit kill mode. It also has some challenging sections. But overall ronin is what makes this game difficult.

On top of that, the combat wasn’t always great. The timing window for parry seems to be very tight and I feel like it sometimes doesn’t properly register. Same goes for hitboxes, I had my blade go through enemies and not connecting. On the higher difficulties this can make all the difference in the fight and usually means death and starting over.

The only tip if you are struggling with the game, is to utilise the stunning attacks whenever you can. The first one you unlock is a combo, light, light and heavy attack. Do not button mash this input. The best way to execute it perfectly is to hit square, wait half a second and then in quick succession square and triangle. Also important, only the last swing needs to hit the enemy for you to stun him. This move is very good in the early chapters.

But later there is a far better move to stun. Combination backwards and triangle. Stuns the enemies with one blow.

In fact I used this on the final boss. When he runs to you, do backward and triangle and then square,square, square… It will interrupt the boss attack and take about 1/4 of his health. By the end of the combo, the boss will react. Either he will roll by you to get to safety,  you just roll away in the other direction and turn and get ready for the next combo when he runs to you again. Or he will stagger and jump back, now quickly roll backwards as he will follow up with a trust. After some practice I usually get to the second phase unharmed.

Second phase, just stand still until he releases a bomb. Then move back out of harm’s way. He will run to you, run to him. He will cast out fire. Just roll past him. Do backwards square and follow with 2 heavies. Be careful not to push him in the flames as you will follow and lose health quickly. Now run back to the other side but only about 3/4 of the space. He will release another bomb and you can go back to the wall that way. Do it again and he will be half his life and leave to summon his spirits.

For the spirits I also use backward triangle and square, square, square. But be careful with the armoured one. Roll away at the end. If you run out of stamina, parry forward and switch sides to get some space in between you and him.

When the boss return, just do what you did at the start of phase 2.

It may seem easy, but for me this was a very hard fight. But this was my strategy after many tries and deaths. I also used this on Kensei to get no hit kill.

It took me a lot longer than most players to platinum this, about 26 hours. I struggled a lot with the combat.

The game is quite unfair and unforgiving at times. The combat should have been better, especially parrying. The artwork was amazing and the camera angles were special and create a great vibe. But they can also be annoying in some fights and make it hard to see. When there are a lot of enemies it is not always clear who is on the sideline and who is not. I feel this game had a lot more potential. It s not bad, but it had some frustrating moments :(