Most disgusting thing you have ever eaten/drunk

Hirilorn

Following on from the KFC debate and people starting to mention other restaurants thought it would be fun to find out what is the worst thing you have ever had in your mouth. Settle down and let's keep this PG. I am strictly talking proper food and drink.

For me food wise it was a whelk. 

I love all kinds of shellfish but this did not agree with me at all.

Bought them from one of those stands you get at most British seaside towns and within a second of me swallowing, it was shooting back up my throat and ended up all over the pavement.

Don't know if I got unlucky and it was off or I finally found some shellfish I can't stomach.

In terms of drinks up until yesterday it was turnip juice which I had at I believe a Turkish restaurant.

Christ it was vile.

However this was beaten by the mug of peppermint tea I had yesterday.

As someone who doesn't drink any hot drinks apart from hot chocolate I didn't think I would like it, but had no idea just how bad it would be.

The smell was horrendous and I like how mint smells but the taste knocked me sideways. 

I could only manage two mouthfuls and each one was an endurance test on my sanity.

• Haha 1

Can't think of anything too outlandish. I guess...drink wise, I drank a huge gulp of pancake mix when I was teen, thinking it was milk. My mom had kept some in a milk gallon and I poured a huge glass of it thinking it was milk, and began to gusle that thing down. I don't think my brain processed it all that quick, because I was on my second big gulp before I spat it out and began to throw up what I had swallowed. The taste was horrendous, but I think the shock of expecting milk was the worst part about it.

14 hours ago, Slamma said:

milk carton had a date a week out so I was golden, right? WRONG. 

I think I've made that mistake too. I drank some eggnog back in 2010 that might have been a little past. It tasted fine, but I was shitting and vomiting all night. I'd eaten some Oreo's too so the resulting puke was black. I was like the Penguin at the end of Batman Returns. I guess that makes it a given definition of 'disgusting.'

While I can't be certain it was the nog that did it, it likely was. I've safely drank one that somehow made it 2 weeks past the date without being opened. I believe the bad nog had been opened over a week prior (and it was one of those shitty folding cartons that don't seal- now they come with a cap.) Moral of the story: It's not always the printed date you gotta watch...

Edited by stickghost

Honey comb - I thought they were sugary yummy... totally forgotten about bees wax. That was like eating a freaking candle stick. I was just a wee lad when I did this... also ate a big heaping spoonful of cocoa powder and coffee... As kids we learn from our mistakes LOL

As an adult it would be that I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here special sold at Iceland (store not the country). The only ones that were easier to swallow was the ostritch meat.  The croc and the kangaroo had that distinctive but repulsive taste - or maybe I'm not just used to it.  I've eaten fried frog legs and snails and those were okay... but these ones takes the biscuit.

Spoiler

Icelands-Exotic-Meat-Feast.jpg

As for something that I've done that gave me dirty and weird looks in public was the 'suicide drink' - a concoction of all the drinks available on the self-service dispenser.  We've invented this in secondary school (late 80s) when we would mix all the drinks into a single cup - that's Coke, Fanta, Sprite and the occasional Dr. Pepper and A&W Rootbeer when they are made available at the canteen.

I would still do this when given the chance - usually at Burger King or Five Guys with their awesome Pininfarina designed drinks dispenser - the Ferrari of all drinks dispenser.

However this was beaten by the mug of peppermint tea I had yesterday.

I've had the Twinings variety but joint with another bag of Lemon-Ginger tea.  Not really a tea drinker myself but since I can no longer have my usual coffee fix because it would involve sugar, I've had to switch.  Just straight up hot water tea with no milk or honey. You'd get used to it... eventually.

... milk carton had a date a week out so I was golden...

You forgot to do the Morrisons test LOL -  Morrisons is encouraging customers to sniff milk to check it's OK to drink...

Edited by Naps

Good to see multiple people taking a swipe at fizzy water.

What a pointless drink.

Normal water is refreshing.

Add bubbles it to it and it dries your mouth out.

On 1/30/2022 at 1:22 AM, dogwitch said:

strawberry jam and mayniose sandwich.

I have a question for you.

Why?

On 1/31/2022 at 5:06 PM, Naps said:

Bloody hypocrites!

Security dragged me out of Morrisons just before Christmas because I was sniffing things in their store.

Is there really much difference between milk and the 19 year old with big jugs that works on the deli?

On 1/31/2022 at 6:34 PM, stpatty said:

One time I was out for a walk for ages and I didn't have my wallet and I was so thirsty I took a drink from a half-empty can of Lilt I found in a field. 

I hate to break it to you but that yellowish liquid in the can wasn't Lilt.

2 minutes ago, Hirilorn said:

Why? Re: Milk Sniffing...

Apparently to prevent wastage as milk is one of the most wasted food products in the UK. We always buy the filtered variety - they cost a bit more but lasts longer, no sniffing needed. So Morrison's now wants its customers to ignore BEST BEFORE DATES - I find this dangerous and absurd, they're the only ones of all the big supermarkets who's suggesting this anyway.

27 minutes ago, Naps said:

Apparently to prevent wastage as milk is one of the most wasted food products in the UK. We always buy the filtered variety - they cost a bit more but lasts longer, no sniffing needed. So Morrison's now wants its customers to ignore BEST BEFORE DATES - I find this dangerous and absurd, they're the only ones of all the big supermarkets who's suggesting this anyway.

My why question was aimed at the guy who decided to make himself a jam and mayo sarnie.:)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hirilorn said:

My why question was aimed at the guy who decided to make himself a jam and mayo sarnie...

LOL the 'why' sticking on the quote kinda fooled me there... About that mayo-jam sandwich... I guess they don't call it a 'dogwich' for a reason! (pun intended) I've done a butter + peanut butter combo before for the ultimate peanut-butter sarnie though this one would be quite palatable compared to that methinks... or perhaps DW had made it way back as a teenager - no one can argue with a teenager's preference for food, they'd mix and eat anything! We've all been here before.

Edited by Naps
  • Like 1

Of course sour milk.

But one time I got a free sample of alligator at a grocery store in southern Indiana. I don't remember the taste too much but that I kept chewing and chewing and not getting anywhere...like I was chewing on a rubber tire. I finally had to spit it out. I looked at my toddler son who also got a sample...and he was choking on it trying to get it down. I had to perform the hook maneuver to get it out of his mouth...

Now this was a close call. My pregnant wife and I were eating at a restaurant called the Ground Round in Columbus, Ohio. For some reason, I got a side of pineapple with my meal. It smelled a little off to me so I asked my wife to sample it. She did and immediately spit it out and said that it was rotten. I still get ribbed to this day by my wife for having her eat rotten pineapple...she says that it was the worst thing that she has ever eaten.