Help: My TV doesn't show retro games on PS3

Ivotas

Hey guys, this is kind of a weird one. I've bought a couple of classic PS1 and PS2 games on the PS3 store and I was just about to play them. But for some reason my TV goes dark and says "no signal" as soon as I launch them. However the game sound is existant and the XMB seems to be running to because I tried to close the game blindly and it worked. As soon as the game was closed the XMB appeared on screen again.

To make sure if it's not the games fault I tried launching MGS1 which I've played years ago with no problem on my previous TV and ended up with the same problem. So it's definitely the TV that's at fault here. But I don't know if there's anything I can do or if I just have to accept that it I will not be able to play those games as long as I have this TV.

For technical information. The TV I have is a Panasonic VIERA TH-3202. It's a cheap little TV I bought because I couldn't and wouldn't buy a higher quality device while I was still living in a small appartment last year across the globe, so I'd appreciate no hateful comments about me being stingy and/or poor. Anyways if anybody knows what's going on I'd really be grateful for your feedback because I'd at least like to know if there is something that I can do or if I have to accept that I will not be able to play these games until I get a better TV. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Ivotas

Most of the search results are for CFW. But I did find a couple that mention your problem. They mention trying different resolutions and disabling upscaling on the console. Some go so far as to say it won’t work without a specific HDMI version and you’d need to use composite cables. 

It is possible something went bad with your PS3 since you last played MGS, so I wouldn’t immediately claim it to be a TV issue. If you know someone nearby, try taking your PS3 there and seeing if it’s the same issue. 

If all else fails, contact Sony support. Hopefully you find a working solution. 

6 hours ago, Slamma said:

Most of the search results are for CFW. But I did find a couple that mention your problem. They mention trying different resolutions and disabling upscaling on the console. Some go so far as to say it won’t work without a specific HDMI version and you’d need to use composite cables. 

Thanks for the feedback mate. I'd be happy if it be a simple solution as to use a composite cable. Will buy one and hooe it works out. Does any do fine I can find online listed as PS3 av cable or are there different types where I should pay attention to? About disabling upscaling and different relosutions I take it that's somewhere in the settings, right? I'm afraid I don't know what CFW means. 

It is possible something went bad with your PS3 since you last played MGS, so I wouldn’t immediately claim it to be a TV issue. If you know someone nearby, try taking your PS3 there and seeing if it’s the same issue. 

That would suck as I know no one nearby who'd be able to look at it. :(

If all else fails, contact Sony support. Hopefully you find a working solution. 

Will try if everything else fails. Is there something like a sub branch for PlayStation support or just regular Sony support? 

2 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Does any do fine I can find online listed as PS3 av cable or are there different types where I should pay attention to? About disabling upscaling and different relosutions I take it that's somewhere in the settings, right?

They might be specific, I’m not entirely sure. And resolutions and upscaling should be on the PS3, I think. Maybe. 

2 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Will try if everything else fails. Is there something like a sub branch for PlayStation support or just regular Sony support? 

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/

40 minutes ago, Slamma said:

They might be specific, I’m not entirely sure. And resolutions and upscaling should be on the PS3, I think. Maybe. 

Gotcha, will try with the standard they sell here and hope it will do the trick.

About settings and resolution, I'll be trying to find that on the XMB too.

40 minutes ago, Slamma said:

Thank you very much. I hope they can help me and don't say it's something a regional thing in which case I'd be screwed with my German console in Japan🤣

So far no luck I'm afraid. Upscaling has been disabled already and I cannot change the resolution without using a different cable anyway. So I will have to wait until my AV cable arrives. Hope that'll help. Also the PS support is terrible. You just search if your problem is mentioned somewhere but I would actually like to reach out to real people and talk with them. This PayPal all over again. Is there any way to actually contact someone?

Edited by Ivotas
  • Like 1

Update:
I've gotten a composite cable now and still cannot change anything. I literally have purchased games on the PS3 store that I cannot play because the video isn't doesn't show on my TV. This sucks big time. :(

Edit:
I've been looking into this a little bit further and while I have not found a solution to my problem yet the discussion going on this site definitely paints a picture that enables me to narrow the problem down. As I've said in me original post above, I'm using a very cheap TV, which might be part of the problem. What I didn't say (because so far it never has been a problem) is that I'm playing on a Japanese TV since this is where I live now. However my console is a German PAL PS3 that I've connected to the TV. And since it's PS1 games I've purchased on the PS3 store we're talking about here it seems that the old region lock problems apply here for some reason. 

I was only able to find out this much as now with my AV cables I can see the message "You cannot play this game at the current video setting. (80028F10)" message. But no matter which setting I've tried to chose, not a single one of the alternative settings shows a screen that I can actually see. Only the current setting let's me see the XMB but with that one I cannot play the games. Kinda don't know what to do now. I definintely will not import a TV from Germany to do so. But I wonder if a high end modern Japanese TV will accept things or it will also give me the middlefinger as this very old Japanese TV does at the moment. Does anybody have any suggestions on that matter, now with this new information?

Edited by Ivotas

49 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Update:
I've gotten a composite cable now and still cannot change anything. I literally have purchased games on the PS3 store that I cannot play because the video isn't doesn't show on my TV. This sucks big time. :(

Edit:
I've been looking into this a little bit further and while I have not found a solution to my problem yet the discussion going on this site definitely paints a picture that enables me to narrow the problem down. As I've said in me original post above, I'm using a very cheap TV, which might be part of the problem. What I didn't say (because so far it never has been a problem) is that I'm playing on a Japanese TV since this is where I live now. However my console is a German PAL PS3 that I've connected to the TV. And since it's PS1 games I've purchased on the PS3 store we're talking about here it seems that the old region lock problems apply here for some reason. 

I was only able to find out this much as now with my AV cables I can see the message "You cannot play this game at the current video setting. (80028F10)" message. But no matter which setting I've tried to chose, not a single one of the alternative settings shows a screen that I can actually see. Only the current setting let's me see the XMB but with that one I cannot play the games. Kinda don't know what to do now. I definintely will not import a TV from Germany to do so. But I wonder if a high end modern Japanese TV will accept things or it will also give me the middlefinger as this very old Japanese TV does at the moment. Does anybody have any suggestions on that matter, now with this new information?

My only suggestion is to take your PS3 round to a friend who has a more modern TV and see what happens.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Terminator said:

My only suggestion is to take your PS3 round to a friend who has a more modern TV and see what happens.

Thanks for the feedback mate. That's actually what I'm already planning to do. Let's just hope it'll work out with all those busy people I know here.^^

Edited by Ivotas

Update:

So I asked a friend of mine if I could test connecting my PS3 to his Japanese TV. After I explained the situation in detail he told me that it wouldn't work because he too has a German PS3 and cannot play Legacy of Kain on it. That one really took me by surprise. Seems like it's definitely a NG for this to work.

But wait, the story doesn't end there. He told me that he could play PSOne games on the PS3 he bought on the Japanese PS3 store. For me this isn't an option because even though I speak somewhat ok-ish Japanese wouldn't be enough to fully enjoy the game. I wouldn't like to experience a reverse "All your blood are belong to us" situation. But it got me wondering, how about NTSC games. Since I have a US account too I just figured I'd risk it and purchase one of the three games, namely Legacy of Kain. And wouldn't you know it, it actually works. So here I am connecting a European PS3 to a Japanese TV and about to play a US game. Just sharing in case anybody should ever have the same problems as me.

BTW, just by loading the game it seems that the screen is zoomed in a lot. I'd like to zoom out but cannot find any screen options within the game menues. Is there any way how I can change that in the PS3 settings itself?

On 12/9/2021 at 9:16 AM, Meikoro said:

I know your VIERA is old i have two of them too.

But maybe for a future buyed Jpanese TV try to ask if you can install European Firmware to the TV. Thats maybe the Playstation shows a correct Picture. If this is possible.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Definitely will keep that in mind for when I buy a new TV. Even though I've managed to circumvent the innitial problem the actual problem with games from the EU store still persist. So that's definitely something I will be doing then.^^