Member of the Month - October 2021

spacer.png

Happy Halloween PST! :jacko: This month's winner has a fittingly spooky name. This member's biggest contributions come in the form of guides, and include the Rise & Shine Trophy Guide and Roadmap, the Rise & Shine 100% Trophy, Collectibles, and Game Walkthrough, the Arcade Archives: Samurai Shodown II Trophy Guide and Roadmap, the Ninja Usagimaru: Two Tails of Adventure Trophy Guide & Roadmap, and the Chronicles of Teddy: Harmony of Exidus Trophy Guide and Roadmap. This user has also been an active member for more than nine years, and has both created and contributed to many interesting discussions on the site. Ladies and gentlemen, please join me in congratulating October 2021's Member of the Month, @GearsOfTheDead! :applause:

If you would like to nominate a fellow member for Member of the Month, feel free to reach out to any staff member with your nomination!

Can you tell us a bit more about the person behind the PSN ID?

Well, I live in Phoenix, Arizona and I'm an aspiring artist and writer with a wonderful wife who's also my best friend and partner in crime! I'm also a big anime fan and casual game collector.

Could you explain where your username comes from? 

The name was really a brainstorming session. I wanted a name that would stand out and I wouldn't regret. I seriously obsessed over this! I love comic books and thought, what if a zombie was clockwork inside? What if it had spinning gears and spiderwebs in it instead of guts? Then it would be like it was the gears of the dead. At that moment, I knew I'd found my name. 😁

What sort of setup do you have going back home for your gaming?

Unfortunately, my 65" Mitsubishi DLP TV finally gave up, so I'm using a 43" Samsung for now. I juggle PS3, PS4, and Vita most of the time, however lately I play a lot of Switch - mostly The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

How long have you been gaming and what made you decide PlayStation as your gaming companion?

I have been gaming since I was 3. My first game was the arcade version of Pac-Man. My Mom was visiting a friend who happened to own a bar. To give me something to do while they talked, he pulled a stool up to the Pac-Man machine, opened up the coin return and told me to play all I wanted! As a kid, what's better than unlimited quarters on an arcade machine?

JQvDyZQ.jpg

The truth of the matter is, I started out as a diehard Nintendo fan. Then, Nintendo made the Nintendo 64 and all the 3rd parties left for Sony's new PlayStation. I was a huge fan of Final Fantasy and was shocked to see Final Fantasy VII go to Sony's new console. I gave in one day and tried a FFVII demo in Toys R Us and fell in love with the game. I have all of the PlayStation consoles, minus the PS5, for now, and just love the PlayStation brand. Some of my best gaming memories are of PlayStation 1 and that legendary library!

What PS5 exclusive are you most looking forward to playing?

Right now, Gran Turismo 7. It looks incredible. Polyphony Digital, in my opinion, make the most amazing racing games. I love how much THEY love cars - it shows in each game. I will say, though, I'm pretty awful at getting those licenses! 😅

What was the last game you bought, and what's the next one you’re looking forward to?

I decided to spend a couple dollars, or $200, and bought The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Special Edition off of eBay. I had no idea it would be in such a large box when it arrived! It reminded me of the over-sized displays of PS1 games they had back in the day. Great stuff inside. It was worth every penny!

Next game I'm looking forward to is Horizon Forbidden West. I loved the Killzone series, so when Guerrilla announced Horizon Zero Dawn, I knew I had to play it. I logged in well over 75 hours just with the base game. Forbidden West looks like it will take the franchise to another level and I'm really excited to tackle this new world.

BOFXlH0.jpg

If you had the chance to improve the PlayStation and/or PSN store, what one thing would you like to see implemented?

I'd like it if some kind of patch could be added that we could download to plat games that were taken offline. I'd pay $5 or so to patch out online trophies that are no longer attainable. I mean, we have remasters for the Uncharted and Crysis series minus their original online trophies, so why not?

If you could add one title to the PSN store from any gaming system past or present what would it be?

I'd say The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I think for those without a Switch, it's one of the best games of the last 10 years and PlayStation fans would enjoy it. Might be a tough plat due to Master Mode, yet so worth it.

4jdgc9I.jpg

How much of a certified trophy whore are you? Does the trophy list play any part in the decision to play or buy a game, or do you base that decision entirely on the game?

Not as much as I used to be. I finally reached 5,000 trophies last year and this year has been rough and I've barely gotten any trophies for '21. The only time I really care about trophies enough to have it affect playing a game is when there are broken ones. Otherwise, I'll just do my best to attain them. As of now, I'm a middle of the road trophy whore. 😁

What would you say was your proudest platinum and why?

Proudest plat, err, that's tough to say. I'll go with ModNation Racers. Such a hard game to plat. I got a lot of help here, yet all the help isn't enough with dead servers. I had to solo boost all the XP using two profiles and a 2nd PS3 my brother loaned to me. So much uploading, downloading, and deleting, then you rinse and repeat. The XP trophies alone took 55 hours and a lot of caffeine and music!

oVzQyOW.jpg

Is there any guide or walkthrough you have made for PST that you have any particularly good, bad, or otherwise standout memories making?

I made an exhaustive, step-by-step guide for the action side-scroller Rise and Shine for PS4. That game is hard as nails and I knew it inside and out with my repeated playthroughs. It was my first guide, and with how hard it was, I wanted to lay out the best course of action for survival for anyone that played it. I mean, a trophy for surviving with no deaths when two bullets kills you, and bullets fly at you from all directions? Ugh, not easy. It ended up a labor of love and a lot of fun to do!

If the end of the world was nigh and you had to grab three games/franchises to take with you to play out your final days to, what would they be?

Original Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy IX, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. I have such great memories of the Final Fantasy series on PS1 and especially FFVII. I even have my own tradition of playing FFVII on Thanksgiving!

Llc3rG7.jpg

How did the tradition of playing FFVII on Thanksgiving start?

Typically, my brother and I would watch parades with family on Thanksgiving on TV. When we got Final Fantasy VII, we now had this amazing new game just sitting in the PlayStation. Since no one was watching the TV that day, we jumped at the chance to play it for several hours before dinner. Getting into fights with Shinra Soldiers, the smell of turkey and pies cooking, the sounds of my Mom and Grandma putting Thanksgiving together, it left a lasting impression. Each year I play for a few hours on that day just to bring back those memories and that feeling of happiness!

What brought you to PST and what keeps you coming back?

Back in 2010 I was playing Uncharted 2 and really wanted the online trophies that I was struggling with. I looked up general tips and found the term "boosting." That ended up leading me here and to the boosting thread.

I return because I just love this community and all it continues to offer me. This site is such a wealth of gaming knowledge.

What memories of the site stand out to you most as your favourites during your time here? 

My favorite memories are participating in The Guides of March and being in my first THL - quite successfully! Lord of the Pings, I still love our team name!

If you were an admin of PST for a day, what would you do and why?

I'd spook it up a bit just for fun. If I had the know-how, I'd create a filter so everyone would have their avatars zombified and then do a Spooky-themed trophy event. 🦇

Just something to have some fun!

Any final words for the community?

Well, I'll be a bit sappy here and say that I love this site and its community. Like many of us, I've had difficult times and personal losses. During those times, this site has always given me an escape and a great place to just forget those heartaches. We have such a great staff and great members here and I've always felt I belonged. Thank you, everyone, for making this a great gaming site.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, FootballPsycho said:

The name was really a brainstorming session. I wanted a name that would stand out and I wouldn't regret. I seriously obsessed over this! I love comic books and thought, what if a zombie was clockwork inside? What if it had spinning gears and spiderwebs in it instead of guts? Then it would be like it was the gears of the dead. At that moment, I knew I'd found my name. 😁

Love this mate! 👏

Cool interview and congrats on MOTM. Enjoy your month buddy and Happy Halloween! 👻

• Like 1

Congrats @GearsOfTheDead ! A very deserving recipient and a cool interview. You’re definitely one of those guys that’s always been around but we never knew more about!

Love the FFVII on Thanksgiving anecdote, one of the best I’ve seen 😁 You deserve the award alone for picking IX as one of your favourites ;) 

Enjoy your month (or probably three)! 🎉

• Thanks 1

Big Congrats on your MotM recognition! Great and interesting interview...

Nice origin story of your username...and your story about unlimited playing on Pac-man reminded me that the same thing happened to me. My step-dad managed a bar and when he had to drag me and my step brothers in there, he would let us play a video game for free (and this is really going to date me): Pong!

And thanks for all the guides that you've contributed to the site...

Enjoy your month!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/31/2021 at 2:43 PM, stpatty said:

Enjoy the... 4th months left of October. Good to see someone who likes racing games get the nod for this. 

If only there was somewhere for you to show off your achievements

Racing games used to be huge for me. I haven't played them as much, though I'm keeping my eyes open to see what these devs can do with the PS5.

On 10/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, Darth_Krid said:

Congrats @GearsOfTheDead ! A very deserving recipient and a cool interview. You’re definitely one of those guys that’s always been around but we never knew more about!

Love the FFVII on Thanksgiving anecdote, one of the best I’ve seen 😁 You deserve the award alone for picking IX as one of your favourites ;) 

Enjoy your month (or probably three)! 🎉

FFVII and FFIX are my two favorite games of all time. I can't even decide which I love more. They define the genre for me. I love everything about them and their whole casts and could never tire of them. 😁

On 11/2/2021 at 6:37 AM, sum1_worsethan_u said:

Big Congrats on your MotM recognition! Great and interesting interview...

Nice origin story of your username...and your story about unlimited playing on Pac-man reminded me that the same thing happened to me. My step-dad managed a bar and when he had to drag me and my step brothers in there, he would let us play a video game for free (and this is really going to date me): Pong!

And thanks for all the guides that you've contributed to the site...

Enjoy your month!

When I was little there was a dentist I went to who had a glass tabletop of Pong. I'd never played it before and this had to be a deluxe version of it. It looked really expensive and was fun to play. It's funny how such a simple thing can leave a really nice memory!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

This was just awesome as Hell to read man and the fact that your thanksgiving actully has memories and stuff like that is really cool,  Turkey day was always crazy and stuff with my dad's family so as a Uncle now that is the last thing i want and the final fantasy thing is one of those when my nephew who will be 1 in april i'll get him into something like that on the holidays,  very awesome read there

56 minutes ago, Graveyard_Coitus said:

This was just awesome as Hell to read man and the fact that your thanksgiving actully has memories and stuff like that is really cool,  Turkey day was always crazy and stuff with my dad's family so as a Uncle now that is the last thing i want and the final fantasy thing is one of those when my nephew who will be 1 in april i'll get him into something like that on the holidays,  very awesome read there

What a username! 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Darth_Krid said:

What a username! 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you My Man, I am thinking of also using it for twitch as well (Please no one steal it)

woohoo i made it into a twitch!!! in which no one will watch ever!!!! LMAO

i think i will be looking forward to these member of the month posts for sure

Edited by Graveyard_Coitus