• 36-50 Hours
    • 51-75 Hours
    • 76-100 Hours
    • 100+ Hours

qh2g7UB.png
and
9uNRreI.png

Voting Guidelines

1. Do not vote unless you have played the game.
  2. Do not vote until you have dedicated a substantial amount of time towards the game.
  3. Do not vote based solely on the descriptions from the trophy list.
  4. A time consuming game does not necessarily mean a difficult game so vote accordingly.
  5. Voted time should be based on your own personal time spent working towards the platinum.
  6. Do not vote based on "fastest possible run", but rather your own experience in playing the game.
  7. Voted time should be in-game time spent, from first starting game to achieving the platinum.
  8. Vote with honesty and integrity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

4/10 and 26-35 Hours for 100%

This is a phenomenal game for any Remedy fan. I missed this back in the day because I didn't have a 360, but it holds up pretty well, especially if you get engrossed in the narrative of the game. Biggest challenge for me was the Nightmare run (there's tons of video guides fortunately, and you can stun/run a lot) and the platforming in the Writer DLC for the No Punctuation trophy.

4/10 - ~30 hours

After playing the main game on easy I thought Nightmare woul be difficult because there's a lot of tricky spots in the game and the gameplay takes time to get used to it, but it turns out you can and should avoid most fights in Nightmare and the mandatory fights all have very safe ways to do them. So it wasn't hard at all. The DLC is something else as you need to finish each of them without dying or reloading and the first one has lots of fights and the second one has annoying platforming, but it's really not hard at all you just need to be careful. It's annoying if the game crashes though as it voids the trophy.

• 5 months later...

I would rate the platinum difficulty as 5/10 and it took me 26 hrs. 

There were a few tough parts on nightmare mode and a couple of tricky miscellaneous trophies. I would recommend Optinoob’s video walkthrough for anyone looking to complete the game on nightmare. The key thing to remember is that a lot of the fights can be avoided with clever use of the torch and flares. All enemies despawn once you reach checkpoints in the light. In most chapters there is still a plentiful supply of ammo on nightmare. 

The other challenging trophies are for speed running the 2nd part of Chapter 3 in under 30 mins and for reaching the tornado in Chapter 6 without firing a bullet. The speed run can be done in about 22 mins if you know the layout of the level well and avoid most of the fights. 

I had never played the original game on the X-Box so this was all new to me. I enjoyed the story but I felt the general movement and combat was a bit clunky when compared to more modern games. In closing I hope Alan Wake invests in a gym membership before the sequel is released. 

• 3 months later...

2/10

20 hours

Nightmare mode can be mitigated with two basic strategies.  The first is bypassing fights by dropping flares and running to safe havens.  The second is conserving flare gun ammo and flashbangs for the bosses and large waves of enemies. 

I would also recommend prioritizing the hunting rifle over the shotgun due its combination of range and stopping power.  Keeping the enemies at a distance is essential in Nightmare mode.           

• 10 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Time to 100%: 22 hours, following this walkthrough.

Difficulty: 4.5/10.

Regarding the main game, there's nothing terribly challenging to overcome. Nightmare mode is simple enough if you smartly sprint past enemies whenever possible, periodically turning around to stun pursuers via a quick flashlight boost anytime Alan's stamina is exhausted, which is irritatingly often (this guy really needs to get away from his writing desk and exercise occasionally). Of course, using flares makes evading groups of them even easier, and you'll usually have plenty to spare.

Sometimes combat is unavoidable, but if you preserve some flare gun shots, hunting rifle or pump shotgun ammo, and a few flashbangs, the forced encounters are largely trivial. As for the specific chapter trophies, they're fairly easy, as well. The only one I required more than one attempt for was "Meet the Deadline," but I earned it without trying during my Nightmare run. Way too many collectibles for my liking, though, and I could surely do without those clunky driving bits.

However, the DLC is another story, due to the deathless playthrough trophies. On my PS4 Pro at least, The Signal tended to crash during the ending cinematic, robbing me of "Run-On Sentence" (this happened twice). How I loved having my time wasted by this nonsense! Now, I'm not certain which of these solutions actually made a difference, but here are all the measures I took to avoid the dreaded freeze, finally unlocking the trophy:

-Restarted the console.

-Turned off boost mode.

-Disabled my network connection.

-Before the final sequence, I allowed the entire photography scene between Alan and Alice to play out, rather than rushing ahead as usual.

-Paused to let the game load at certain intervals, especially after each stage of the final battle against possessed objects. Basically, I left it on pause until my PS4 stopped sounding like a jet engine, which typically took around a minute.

-Mashed circle to quickly skip the ending scene.

On the other hand, The Writer was quite stable, but their asinine insistence on including platforming sections in a janky, third-person horror game was a significant hindrance to my success. I fell to my death while traversing the tornado segment more than I'd care to admit, since Alan often continued making several steps forward after a jump, with no input from me. Apparently, he can also lose momentum in the air, as if he hit an invisible wall, causing him to plunge straight down. Furthermore, because sprint and dodge are mapped to the same button, it's necessary leave ample space between Alan and the edge before initiating a run-up, or he can pointlessly dodge himself right off the ledge, it seems. So stupid!

For me, the key to making it through consistently was to wait for those bridge platforms (metal walkways with railings) to arrive, and only leap onto them when the railing was facing away from me, which prevented Alan from strolling off the walkway like a moron. Don't even bother trying to use the other platform types! You'd think the school bus roof would be wide enough for safety, but Alan will nevertheless find a way to kill himself half of the time.

A fun game overall, but I'm rather glad it's over. At least I'm properly prepared for the sequel now.

I think I was just over 25 hours, and for difficulty I'd say 4. Nightmare more isn't really that hard when you know what enemies you're facing and where, and if you're following a guide to get all the supply caches you'll have enough flares and flashbangs to make it easy enough.

• 3 months later...

Gave it a 4 to be fair.  Nightmare was quite easy and the whole thing took me around 25 hours, over two years though.  Got annoyed by the combat back then.  I want to play the 2nd one bad so came back to finish it off.  Collectables really sucked.

Working on the dlc now and the no death runs can be somewhat stressful, but not too difficult so far.  I recommend doing those runs last because the more you know the dlc levels the easier they get. 

Finished The Signal last night and made the mistake of doing the no death run first.  Made it way more stressful than it needed to be.  Had to do 3 playthroughs because my collectable run I missed two collectables at the lumber yard with the trucks part.  Managed to get there, grab them, and get to the next part without dying.  Since it was so close to the end and I hadn't died yet, I took a shot at finishing it without dying again.  Did it easily.

EDIT: Finished The Writer dlc 100%.  Did the collectables and misc missable trophies first, then no deaths on my 2nd run.  Doing it that way it wasn't as stressful as I found The Signal.  But the combat is my weak point so The Signal would've likely been the harder of the two for me as it is.

The platforming really wasn't that bad.  As long as you take your time where you can and only run and jump if you have to.  I don't believe I even used the run button to jump at all, other than maybe the airplane wing at the very end.  Had one fairly close call on a jump, but it wasn't that close. For the tornado just wait for the platforms with the rail (there are at least two, one on eqch level of the platforms) and you likely won't even come close to falling.

Finally 100% done with this and ready for Alan Wake II, once I have extra money for it.

Edited by snake2410

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Platinum is a 4/10 difficulty, but 100% is more like 5/10, because unlike the base game DLC's are just sensless cocktail of random bs, and the trophies for The Signal were designed by a proper cunt :) (luckily all DLC's are very short).

Plat/100% took me 54hrs, mostly due to very tedious & numerous collectables - decided to play the base game without a guide (never played this game before), hoping I'd find all that trash on my own & of course I missed like 5/few hundred and had to re-collect all with a guide on my 2nd/Nightmare playthrough, because there's no way of tracking collectables & knowing which one you've picked up.

I also managed to waste quite a few hours on perfect/no-death run of "The Signal" DLC dying in almost every possible place there. Luckily "The Writer" turned out to be WAY easier on a contrary with what the guide states (yea, platforming is shitty in this game, but not as bad as randomness of evading enemy attacks).

Had a weird experience with this game - didn't like it at 1st, then I was charmed by the story & then DLC's made me glad it was over :p