House Of The Dragon (TV series 2022 - )

Tigerz_bone_21

I think my lack of hype of this stems from feeling like it's unnecessary. You obviously felt like the main show needed to end, that it ran it's course in pop culture...so why make a spin-off of it? 

This just comes off like Fear the Walking Dead or that third show they have. Lightning is never going to strike twice...so why bother? I just don't care right now...maybe I'll see what people say about it first. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When Better Call Saul was announced and released I was excited because of how amazing the final season of Breaking Bad was. For this, I just don't care, even though it's not the same creators. Even if I do watch it, I can't help but already have a negative view of it.

Edited by AshtimusPrime

I haven't seen a single second of GoT. I've had every season ready watch for ages now, but the negative backlash of the final season keeps putting me off. It seems to be universally hated, so I really don't know if I want to invest the time only to be totally disappointed by the end of it. Especially when so many people keep saying that a lot of the storylines and buildup leads to absolutely nowhere. 

3 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I haven't seen a single second of GoT. I've had every season ready watch for ages now, but the negative backlash of the final season keeps putting me off. It seems to be universally hated, so I really don't know if I want to invest the time only to be totally disappointed by the end of it. Especially when so many people keep saying that a lot of the storylines and buildup leads to absolutely nowhere. 

Watch Seasons 1-6 and then pretend that's the ending. You'll have just enjoyed the best TV show ever made.

19 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I'd still fully recommend it. The first six seasons for how brilliant they are, and the last two seasons for how awful they are and that we had to watch them and so should you.

Despite how it turns out, I genuinely believe anyone will still love most of it.

• 2 months later...
On 10/8/2021 at 2:49 PM, Viper said:

I think my lack of hype of this stems from feeling like it's unnecessary. You obviously felt like the main show needed to end, that it ran it's course in pop culture...so why make a spin-off of it? 

7Btj.gif

Says the guy who still believes that each increasingly pointless Marvel release only strengthens (rather than dilutes) an already over-saturated market.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrMinderbinder said:

7Btj.gif

Says the guy who still believes that each increasingly pointless Marvel release only strengthens (rather than dilutes) an already over-saturated market.

Sometimes you really need to learn to just let shit go. That post is nearly a fucking year old...why do you have to start shit? 

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Viper said:

Sometimes you really need to learn to just let shit go. That post is nearly a fucking year old...why do you have to start shit? 

Because your post here so dramatically contradicts your Marvel fan-gasms. You still go ape-shit any time anybody says that Marvel is anything but cinematic perfection, regardless of how unnecessary or gawdawful the particular iteration happens to be.

50 minutes ago, MrMinderbinder said:

Because your post here so dramatically contradicts your Marvel fan-gasms. You still go ape-shit any time anybody says that Marvel is anything but cinematic perfection, regardless of how unnecessary or gawdawful the particular iteration happens to be.

I've never gone ape-shit on anybody...that's your MO. Don't mistake your bullshit for mine. 

I've provided some insights to counter whatever negativity someone might have towards something when they don't seem to understand what they watched and it's blown up in my face...but that's hardly going ape-shit. 

As for this...it's hardly contradictory. The whole point of Marvel is to release a ton of content that all comes together in a greater story arc. Not every show has to do it. In MY opinion this show feels unnecessary, I'm not telling anyone not to watch it. 

I can't stress to you enough how much I don't give a shit about your horrible opinion on Marvel. Nor does this conversation even need to be happening right now. It's done. Move on with your life. 

I’m much more of a Star Wars fan than Marvel but it’s clear to see that the MCU and Feige have a very clear plan of what’s to come and eventually the pieces will come together to form the next huge event. Phase 4 is dragging its heels a little in my opinion and it does sort of feel like doing the side quests after you’ve finished the main game, but it’s still got a forward direction and the next Avengers culmination, be it Kang, Galactus, Dr Doom or whatever will be a massive event even if Endgame is unlikely to ever be matched.

Star Wars however, fuck me they couldn’t even plan a single trilogy with arguably the most iconic characters in cinematic history to play with. That failed spectacularly so now they’re throwing out TV shows with their remaining iconic characters to sort of appease the fans. They have an entire galactic history to play with yet they’re sticking to a 60 year period where they are either filling in holes in canon which really didn’t need filling or ruining their already established canon.

Oh yeah…House of the Dragon. This will have to be really, REALLY good to get me to watch it based on reviews/word of mouth and even then I’ll watch it in one when it’s done rather than follow it weekly and get involved in fan theories like I used to. It’s hard to describe how heavily the balloon burst during Season 7/8, don’t think I’ve ever felt as let down by anything before.

It looks good. Though it suffers from the same thing most prequels do and that's the fact we know, generally, how all this ends through GoT. So stakes don't feel as high. Even if the show itself is good, and consistently good at that, it still has its work cut out for it to justify its existence. What new things will it bring to the table? How will it keep me invested? Will I even like the characters? Will it pose long-term questions that I wouldn't mind seeing answered in another series, potentially one that takes place after GoT? Will this pull me back into Westeros?

As I said before, I'll give it an honest shot because I think it deserves it with a new writing/directing team and not being bound by the in-progress books. This was the prequel idea I was least interested in because I was over Targaryans and Dragons before S7. But I'm open to being won over on that haha.

Hopefully this is a 3-5 season type of deal. Short and sweet. No need to drag these side-series out longer than they need to be. Get it just right, and people will want more.

Marvel Phase 4 has been absolute shite apart from Spider-Man. It's pretty much unwatchable and I don't care what it leads up to. It's just fluff and it's contributed to Hollywood being nothing but an empty husk.

Star Wars having separate stories gives it a better chance of being good since they don't have to worry about connecting stuff or there being yet another super-powerful item or place. But it's on its last legs as well after how awful Obi-Wan was.

This show, I'll probably do the same as Krid. Just wait for how it's received.

Edited by Viper

• 1 month later...

Solid first episode. Does well to set up the pieces for what's to come, and I'm intrigued to see how it plays out in the show. I'm not yet hooked, but I've noticed the bait. So to speak. Prince Daemon (Matt Smith) was a highlight simply because his character is unpredictable/interesting. The "Long Night" prophecy thing (with the dagger) felt a little too inorganic, though.

The show certainly felt the part, though. Whether or not it recaptures the glory the original once had remains to be seen, but I was surprised at how good it felt to be back in Westeros. But I wasn't as negative about the final two seasons GoT as most were and I do anticipate I'll like those seasons more when I binge/rewatch it. I really only had two major grievances with those seasons and one of them was the pacing. Still disappointed me, but I'm not longer bitter, which is better than I can say for HIMYM :rofl: When that rewatch will happen might depend on if this show ever hooks me haha. 

Edited by mcolwander90

Unlike @mcolwander90, I'm very much still bitter about GoT. What could've been the greatest show ever made won't breach my top five. Saying that, YouTube Shorts have started showing me scenes from the golden age of GoT. That, and the positive reception even from /freefolk, led me to watch the first episode. And I really liked it. Like mcol, it was great to step back in to Westeros. Some very good casting (great to see Paddy Considine get more exposure), interesting characters and I'm excited to see where this goes.

The c-section was brutal and it was all for nothing. Sad that it took this and Daemon's bullshit for Viserys to see that Rhaenyra is a worthy heir.

I did get a little GoT-triggered though. Mentioning The Long Winter and knowing how full of shite that was was annoying. "If we are to survive a Targaryen must be on the throne". I choose to believe this means "not putting Dany on the throne was a mistake, you cunts".

On 8/22/2022 at 4:16 AM, mcolwander90 said:

which is better than I can say for HIMYM

Ugh, thanks for that reminder.

On 8/26/2022 at 7:33 AM, AshtimusPrime said:

I did get a little GoT-triggered though. Mentioning The Long Winter and knowing how full of shite that was was annoying. "If we are to survive a Targaryen must be on the throne". I choose to believe this means "not putting Dany on the throne was a mistake, you cunts".

I suppose I'll spoiler this in the off chance someone watches this before GoT:

Spoiler

The Short Night was my other major grievance besides pacing haha. I'm salty about that more than anything, and the pacing is a symptom of that. If that was like a big three episode thing, I probably would've felt way better even if the result was the same. Though, I still wanted the battle to at least approach King's Landing. It just felt like a side quest when it should've been the main course, and it felt so disconnected from the final act in King's Landing.

I'm actually very happy with where Dany and Jon ended up outside of the sloppy writing execution. I long felt that was the only, logical, direction their stories could've properly gone. On paper at least...irony intended haha. The idea of both/either character on the Iron Throne in the end just never sat right with me, and that was always my biggest ending fear. Honestly, I didn't want anyone on there in the end. Technically, I was pretty close with my fan theories and desires :rofl: I do fear the Jon Snow spinoff might try to overcorrect, based on fan complaints, and make things worse.

But I still remember having a lot of other nitpicks/annoyances with those two seasons (Littlefinger...), so we'll see how I feel when I binge through again, eventually. Maybe I'll present my binge review in the GoT when that time comes.

As a side note: The show has already been green lit for a second season. The premiere did huge numbers for HBO, so it makes sense. I did pull out my World of Ice and Fire book/encyclopedia that I got years ago. So good, though I'm trying to avoid reading what happens to HotD characters although some of it was already covered in GoT haha.

EDIT: I liked the second episode better. First episode was a warm up and now the game begins, so to speak. I do kind of wish there were more varying personalities. Feels like most are cut from the same cloth while GoT had more contrasting personalities and cultures. I suppose that's what makes Daemon and Alicent two of the more interesting characters, for me at least, because they're opposite extremes. Daemon is the ambitious shit-stirrer while Alicent is uncomfortably out of her element with weight continuing to be added onto her shoulders despite her lack of desire for power.

Hope S2 has better dragon CGI. Was never a strong suit, but they knew what they were getting into when making a Targaryan show. I am glad we don't have to wait long for a battle episode, based on the ep3 preview.

Edited by mcolwander90

An okay episode, identical to the first as they set up what's to come. A six-month time skip makes me worry about quickly moving things along and apparently there's a bigger one coming as well.

On 8/27/2022 at 1:29 AM, mcolwander90 said:

Feels like most are cut from the same cloth

Literally stated in the show when Corlys was talking to Daemon. :rofl:

On 8/27/2022 at 1:29 AM, mcolwander90 said:

I suppose that's what makes Daemon and Alicent two of the more interesting characters, for me at least, because they're opposite extremes. Daemon is the ambitious shit-stirrer while Alicent is uncomfortably out of her element with weight continuing to be added onto her shoulders despite her lack of desire for power.

You mean Rhaenyra. Alicent is Rhaenyra's friend and Viserys' future wife, the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King.

6 hours ago, AshtimusPrime said:

An okay episode, identical to the first as they set up what's to come. A six-month time skip makes me worry about quickly moving things along and apparently there's a bigger one coming as well.

Literally stated in the show when Corlys was talking to Daemon. :rofl:

You mean Rhaenyra. Alicent is Rhaenyra's friend and Viserys' future wife, the daughter of Otto Hightower, the Hand of the King.

I did not consciously process that was stated in the show. That's hilarious! :rofl:

I did actually mean Alicent - Rhaenyra's friend, Viserys' future wife, daughter of Otto Hightower. She seems out of place in King's Landing, and that's a part of why I find her fascinating. Rhaenyra and almost everyone else share a lot of similar traits, physical and otherwise, but Alicent is super kind, passive, nervous/uncomfortable as hell, not power hungry, non-Targaryan, etc. Given her friendship with Rhaenyra, I'm interested in seeing how that changes over time and how she handles the weight of her new role. She's not playing the game like everyone else, but rather she's a game piece played by other players (Otto, Viserys).

Edited by mcolwander90

13 hours ago, mcolwander90 said:

I did not consciously process that was stated in the show. That's hilarious! :rofl:

I did actually mean Alicent - Rhaenyra's friend, Viserys' future wife, daughter of Otto Hightower. She seems out of place in King's Landing, and that's a part of why I find her fascinating. Rhaenyra and almost everyone else share a lot of similar traits, physical and otherwise, but Alicent is super kind, passive, nervous/uncomfortable as hell, not power hungry, non-Targaryan, etc. Given her friendship with Rhaenyra, I'm interested in seeing how that changes over time and how she handles the weight of her new role. She's not playing the game like everyone else, but rather she's a game piece played by other players (Otto, Viserys).

Ah okay, I get you know. Sounded like you were talking about Rhaenyra but now it makes sense. Woops! She seems a little sheepish but at the same time also seems kind of interested in being queen. Or maybe I'm reading her wrong. Either way, be very interesting if she gives Viserys a son!

• Like 1