THL: RATAS Edition - Discussion

Velvet

38 minutes ago, Slamma said:

Sorry, I didn't think of those as stacks. My count is correct then. Thanks for clarifying.

A great event overall. I'm going to go for a nap now.

• Like 1

Holy crap we won it!!!

Thanks to the team @Meikoro @Respectable Innand @Martzfor going with the decision to try and go for the win after the 2nd week and abandon the Team award.

It looked for a while that it might have been a bad call. 

A great team effort with a PSN chat full of fun, tactics, profile stalking and my wife and kids getting Covid in the last week that led to some drama for me (they are all fine, just spent a lot of time getting PCR tests that week).

Thanks to the EDs for running this.

We will be in touch reference the site award.

Edited by russelguppy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just for fun here are my THL lifetime stats....

Season 1 - did not compete
Season 2 - Team - 1626 (8th) Me - 588 (20th)
Season 3 - Team - 3586 (6th) Me - 721 (28th)
Season 4 - Team - 1990 (8th) Me - 481 (37th)
Season 5 - Team - 2190 (15th) Me - 652 (48th)
Season 6 - Team - 2486 (10th) Me - 591 (42nd)
Season 7 - Team - 2547 (16th) Me - 532 (66th)
Season 8 - Team - 3404 (10th) Me - 886 (42nd)
Season 9 - Team - 2863 (15th) Me - 499 (81st)
Season 10 - Team - 12937 (1st) Me - 2297 (7th)

I love that my individual score this time round is better than my whole team scores for a number of THLs....

• Like 8

Well I'll be blowed, we actually did it! My 200 mile round trip to pick up a vita charger from Cex in Dover 4 days before the event finished was not in vain after my usually trusty one went kaput! Never made it to Dover Castle to look around, the missus was fuming!

It was a fairly casual affair at the start of the contest. What changed the dynamic of the competition were the huge numbers Martz was putting up and that's when we came to the decision to scrap the team award. Luckily I had annual leave booked the final week although Sunday was touch and go with a family gathering going on. 

I did overspend my budget the last few days so I've got a bit of overtime to perform to claw it back or a bit of luck on the horses.

Pretty exciting the last few days staying in touch with the Staxxers and finally getting it over the line.  Those damn Christian and Break games will forever haunt me!

Thanks to Russel for getting a team together and Martz and Meikoro for their passion and dedication. We all spurred each other on nicely and it's great to have competed in one and come away with the W. 

Massive thanks to ED's for putting the event on, definitely need a cleanup event soon and then another community event.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Respectable Inn said:

Well I'll be blowed, we actually did it! My 200 mile round trip to pick up a vita charger from Cex in Dover 4 days before the event finished was not in vain after my usually trusty one went kaput! Never made it to Dover Castle to look around, the missus was fuming!

It was a fairly casual affair at the start of the contest. What changed the dynamic of the competition were the huge numbers Martz was putting up and that's when we came to the decision to scrap the team award. Luckily I had annual leave booked the final week although Sunday was touch and go with a family gathering going on. 

I did overspend my budget the last few days so I've got a bit of overtime to perform to claw it back or a bit of luck on the horses.

Pretty exciting the last few days staying in touch with the Staxxers and finally getting it over the line.  Those damn Christian and Break games will forever haunt me!

Thanks to Russel for getting a team together and Martz and Meikoro for their passion and dedication. We all spurred each other on nicely and it's great to have competed in one and come away with the W. 

Massive thanks to ED's for putting the event on, definitely need a cleanup event soon and then another community event.

That's amazing! Glad the Vita put it over the edge. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put mine to much use as I can't download anything on it due to PSN errors. It was handy for some remote play and a few cartridges, but could certainly have been better utilized on my end.

The worst part for me, my wife has not yet seen the PayPal damage. Probably will be my last THL, and perhaps my last event. If I don't survive, hopefully someone can give me a nice eulogy.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

That's amazing! Glad the Vita put it over the edge. Unfortunately I wasn't able to put mine to much use as I can't download anything on it due to PSN errors. It was handy for some remote play and a few cartridges, but could certainly have been better utilized on my end.

The worst part for me, my wife has not yet seen the PayPal damage. Probably will be my last THL, and perhaps my last event. If I don't survive, hopefully someone can give me a nice eulogy.

Good old Vita, it doesn't get much use these days. I'd used it earlier in the month when we went away for a weekend so I was really annoyed to find the charger not working on the Thursday before the contest finished and it was too late to get the charger delivered, there would have been no point as I wouldn't have earned anything for about 36 hours. Worst of all the lad in Cex took about 20 minutes to locate the charger. It's a real good job the fuel crisis is over! Not looking at my credit card bill yet, bloody break games. If there's a sale on next week.....

Commiserations bud, it was a great battle towards the end. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

Here lies discdocx, collector of visual novels. Died attempting to stop his wife from forcing him to resell all of the games on eBay.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

So what you're saying is... that beautiful physical collection will be needing a new home soon :eyes:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Velvet said:

So what you're saying is... that beautiful physical collection will be needing a new home soon 👀

I never did post the after pictures with my Vita shelf set up. Maybe I'll put that on Twitter before it goes on eBay

Spoiler

😭

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Respectable Inn said:

Bloody hell, I thought my 80-mile round trip to CEX in Newcastle-under-Lyme for a copy of FF13-3 was bad!

Edited by Velvet
Fixed the issue, nothing to see here, carry on gents

Congrats to the winners:applause:, commiserations to the runner-ups!

I'm happy I earned 2 awards - thanks to teammates @danc @mattigummi and @Jerry Appleby:hug: 

On 10/1/2021 at 1:26 PM, guylian said:

My starting stats:

96.77% Completion

:level: 536

:cluster: 11,729

(P) 195

(G) 1,042

(S) 2,702

(B) 7,790

Games Played: 334

Games Completed: 297

My finishing stats:

96.89% Completion (+0.12%)

:level: 540 (+4)

:cluster: 11,912 (+183)

(P) 201 (+6)

(G) 1,088 (+46)

(S) 2,742 (+40)

(B) 7,881 (+91)

Games Played: 342 (+8)

Games Completed: 303 (+6) 

Edited by guylian
  • Like 2

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ztj9qajbu6qcjt331g

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ztj9qajbu6qcjt331g

Thanks to @Respectable Inn @Martz @russelguppy for beeing an Awesome Team.

We Went casual in the First two Weeks. Diskdocx and Clayman went Crazy with plus 3500 Trophies Lead.

We was thinking, screw Team Award and get First Place. After that it was a will of Strengh. Russel allways complains how expansive the Break Games was and we were cheering up together since we all had to pay them.

I guess the Real Winner is Smobile, Breaktrough Games, Ratalaika and Sometimes You :D

The PSN Chat was Fun as Hell, since we stalked the Staxxers and Make Fun of the Shitty Games we all played the Same again again and again. SO mucb Love into this.

Thanks to the ED's for the Allmost Daily Updates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Darth_Krid

So you were right in that your records held up, but after crunching some numbers, this is what I came up with:

-Both our teams earned enough trophies to take 3rd and 4th place in the single season list.

As for me specifically, these are the spots I snagged:

-4th best indivdual season

-3rd best platinum output in a season

-3rd place in all time trophies earned through all THL events

-2nd place (to you) all time platinums earned through all THL events

Now I know it comes with some caveats because of certain factors. But i think despite some of the easier games, the fact that we couldn't stack is equal to the era when you could stack the Rats. I'm sure that if another THL happens, these numbers will probably fall off but I'll take them while I can!

Edited by TheRealClayman
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, TheRealClayman said:

@Darth_Krid

So you were right in that your records held up, but after crunching some numbers, this is what I came up with:

-Both our teams earned enough trophies to take 3rd and 4th place in the single season list.

Now I know it comes with some caveats because of certain factors. But i think despite some of the easier games, the fact that we couldn't stack is equal to the era when you could stack the Rats. I'm sure that if another THL happens, these numbers will probably fall off but I'll take them while I can!

Had this Disscussion with Krid a few Sites before. He knows verry well that earning 3000-4000 Trophies with the One Stack Limit is far more Impressive than jsut spam the Same game 10. Times. But as he mention the Time Changes and back than it was not that crazy with EZPZ than now. So i think the One Limit should be keep on in the Next Season.

23 minutes ago, TheRealClayman said:

@Darth_Krid

-2nd place (to you) all time platinums earned through all THL events

You put up some crazy numbers my friend. It's so hard to compare across seasons (weren't some of them 2 months and 6 team members?).

I believe you leapfrogged me on the all time trophy board, but we both moved into the top 5. Don't know if there will be another THL, but we can take down Krid 😜

I know much will be made of the state of EZPZ's today, but it's still tough to put up those kind of numbers on 12 trophy games. I mean the worst ever PS3 games were like Hannah Montana, Magus and Heavy Fire. Those are masterpieces compared to the Breakthrough shit.

I honestly don't know how people can play only these games. The PSNP leaderboards are full of people that spam this garbage month after month. It really is devoid of enjoyment.:2walls:

• Like 6

Oh wow, what an incredible finish. 

Mentioned it previously, but our team never signed up to this event with the intention of winning it. I signed up looking for a team to go for site rewards while putting up a respectable score, I'd bought quite a lot of games on sale over the year and wanted to put them to use and have fun. @russelguppyand @Respectable Inn just wanted a couple of picks ups who could earn 500 trophies each? That aged well.

Our team's focus in the first two weeks was on the no-stack team award, I managed to get a decent lead on the individual leaderboard over everyone else by using the games I'd already bought previously, but as a team we were far behind the Anti-Staxxers. Yes it looked like only one team had entered the race to win and at the end of the day this is a team event so I'm just creating a lead on the individual leaderboard was just part of having my own fun.

After the first two weeks, @russelguppy @Respectable Inn and @Meikoro decided to scrap the team awards and make a push at winning overall, I was a bit skeptical if we'd actually be able to do it, but I knew I could keep up with the front-runners in Staxxers and use some of the best games for this event which had already been used by some of them to equal their numbers, even if I started to slip from first behind @Easty @diskdocx and @TheRealClayman. It came down to whether the rest of my team could match and beat the numbers being pumped out by the Staxxers which they ended up doing. 

As the league progressed, my spreadsheet of games with trophies/time to find out the best games built and built to over 250 games, plus the break games which were in their own league. It was turning from a bit of fun into dedication to winning, but I still don't know quite how to get a stack from a different region! With future events potentially going down this route, I'll continue to build on it ready for future event.

On Thursday 28th October, I ran out of games I'd bought before the event and I think we were around 1,000 trophies behind Staxxers, but catching up on them them. That was a late night of Break, Sakura games and alike, around 1,000 trophies between the updates. Between that night and the event starting at midnight, my statistics are quite funny for the amount of trophies I've earned on a Friday and in the early hours of the morning. Anyway, I hope that provided a bit of a shock to the Staxxers and I was fully expecting a reaction from @Easty to counter it and wonder whether he had enough time to counter. I guess I'm still surprised @Easty didn't make an insane jump in the final week by playing the Break, Breakthrough games etc, they were available to him and would have pushed him well into the 4,000 trophies mark, I did think it was @Easty going to finish first individually.

@Meikoro @russelguppy and @Respectable Inn boosted their numbers up significantly to similar numbers of the Staxxers so in the days we were able to take the lead which between the updates was probably going back and forth between the teams. To have a league so close at the top is amazing.

The final Vita sync in the last five minutes from @TheRealClayman was a little bit gutting at first, a bunch of Japanese games which took minutes to complete which I've never heard of, 2 seconds for 52 trophies on Ghost of Tsushima being another. I thought something was coming and I played all weekend with little sleep to try and counter it and if it was that sync which won it all, I'd be really gutted.

To win by 49 trophies is crazy. Both teams could point to so many different things and say those 50 trophies made the difference, imagine if the Staxxers won by 49, that'll be the 52 trophies from Tsushima mentioned above, @diskdocx said those numbers could be made by him if something unexpected didn't come up on the last day... For me, I'll remember those 49 trophies from the final evening. I had a long weekend, I was waking up early and playing until late, constantly looking at @TheRealClayman 's profile and knowing that my personal target was to beat his numbers and hope the rest of my team could beat the other 3 Staxxers in a 3v3 to give us the win.  I didn't want to play any more, I didn't want to spend any more money on games, I just wanted to enjoy my evening and watch the NFL. I couldn't stop though, even my Girlfriend was telling me I couldn't give up at this point when I was contemplating just chilling out and watching my beloved Jacksonville Jaguars play on TV. Instead, I stayed up until midnight trying to keep up with @TheRealClayman  I paid full-price for Flowers by POWGI, Rally Racing and The Language of Love. That's £23 I didn't want to spend on top of the hundreds already paid, but in the final hour those games and the decision not to stop gaming was my personal difference.

On the final week I also considered cleaning up my profile to beat @Darth_Krid's platinum record for the season because I left many games a trophy or two short and moved onto the next game because well, time is trophies and who needs platinums! Ultimately if I went for that, it'll easily be the 49 trophies difference.

I've played some absolute gems this month at times. I've played some dross and at times I feel like I've just paid to get trophies with the lack of gaming on the 'game'. Either way, it's been fun. You'll see from my profile that I wasn't a big trophy earner before this event and this event brought back the competitive side in me which I try to suppress. The numbers show how this was pretty new to me:
:cluster: Trophies - 6,440 -> 10,591 (+4,151)
(P) Platinum - 145 -> 320 (+175)
🚴‍♂️ Games Played - 243 -> 449 (+206)

@russelguppy @Respectable Inn @Meikoro (Who needs Platinums) - Thank you for having me on your team. It was good to get to know you all and I enjoyed your company in the chat, encouraging each other and the general chat we were having, I've enjoyed this event with you. Thank you so much for all your hard work!

@TheRealClayman @diskdocx @Easty @themindisacity (Staxxers) - You were very tough competitors, you pushed me to my limits and played a great game.

Thanks to @Slamma @Velvet and anyone else behind the scenes working on this event. It's been fun and I'll make sure to provide feedback.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Martz said:

*Snip*

To win by 49 trophies is crazy. Both teams could point to so many different things and say those 50 trophies made the difference, imagine if the Staxxers won by 49, that'll be the 52 trophies from Tsushima mentioned above, @diskdocx said those numbers could be made by him if something unexpected didn't come up on the last day... For me, I'll remember those 49 trophies from the final evening.

*Snap*

I Remember the Last Hour on Sunday as well.

I was telling you not watch NFL and play the Hell out of it. It was about 53 Minutes left when i Cry out Loud in the Chat:

Time for my Trump Card. I start now Freddy Spagehtti :D

Wich of course i get stuck around Level 28 so yeah the Game can be really long. But this and a few Other games in the Last Minute seems to make the difference. So Hurray to Spaghetti.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Martz said:

Our team's focus in the first two weeks was on the no-stack team award, I managed to get a decent lead on the individual leaderboard over everyone else by using the games I'd already bought previously, but as a team we were far behind the Anti-Staxxers. Yes it looked like only one team had entered the race to win and at the end of the day this is a team event so I'm just creating a lead on the individual leaderboard was just part of having my own fun.

The truth is we weren't either at the start. We were going for the second award for no stacking anything, we had a spreadsheet and all but apparently I can't read and I played something we already did. All of that on the 3rd day. 🤦‍♂️

5 hours ago, Martz said:

wonder whether he had enough time to counter.

Time is not the issue my friend. 😜 I couldn't justify spending all that money on Break/Jesus games when you still had 15 of them available. Looks like only 1 of each would have been enough to win this, oh well. Fair play to you guys for the win!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tuffinz said:

Congrats to the winners!  Was nice to participate in one of these and it not be overshadowed by drama and/or drama queens.  Thanks to the ED's for putting it on, it got me back into gaming after taking 9 months or so off.

Major love to my boys @Mendel@olsen77@Pokkit_ who have been gaming with me in some capacity for well over 10 years now.  Love you guys. 

I'm just happy that you wanted to be on the team.  Missed you!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, guylian said:

Congrats to the winners:applause:, commiserations to the runner-ups!

I'm happy I earned 2 awards - thanks to teammates @danc @mattigummi and @Jerry Appleby:hug: 

:highfive:

Thanks EDs, thanks teammates and congrats to the winners!

I wish I had been more active this THL, was really struggling to motivate myself to play games and was beginning to worry I wouldn't get 100 trophies. The pressure of not letting down my teammates for the no-stack team award eventually prevailed and I reached 100 trophies on the 2nd last day :cool: So, happy to earn 2 awards from this event!

Edit: Just wanted to point out that the leaderboard says I had 2 unique completions, but I actually ended with 3, after platting Prince of Persia (2008) on the last day. But no biggie. 

Edited by mattigummi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think something is not quite right with the unique completions list. Mine still says 3 instead of 4 too. Agajn, not a big deal as long as all of the award thresholds are met, but might be something to be aware of if Slamma is going to recycle the code for further events. 

Also, thanks to the ED's for running the event and my team mates for the good banter. Shout out to @HaoleDavefor getting the bulk of our trophies, @kinjallfor cruising in right on 100 trophies and @rotoninja for being mid-pack anonymous with me. 

Edited by Barra333
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1