The Lord of the Rings (Amazon Prime Video)

OceanH

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I pulled a dick move when the original trilogy came out and bought loads of merchandise thinking it would be really collectable and valuable like the Kenner Star Wars range.

Boy was I wrong and now have loads of boxes of LOTR action figures and more just cluttering up the attic.  Hoping this series is a success so I can get some reasonable money for said merchandise if it reignites nostalgia in the original movies as well. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:40 PM, PainOfDemise said:

So, I assume that this is going to cover when the rings were made and that whole war then?

Yeah, Sauron’s rise to power in Middle-earth, maybe the Fall of Numenor and then the series finale will likely be the battle we see in the prologue of Fellowship.

Loads of new shit will be added in that’s either totally new or scraps pulled from the lore.

I hope more than anything it’ll be amazing. But…it won’t. Wheel of Time fans can testify!

• 6 months later...

The only thing I've seen of this show is the first trailer, other than that I haven't been keeping up with news about it. I even thought it had already released a while back. I think it looks alright at the very least, but as always I will watch it and make my own mind up. That being said, I'm not a massive LOTR fan to begin with. I've seen all of the movies (including The Hobbit movies) and enjoyed them all, but I wouldn't put them up there with my favourite movies ever. Never read the books, so I have no idea how true to the source material they are. This I know nothing about other than it's a prequel series. Will see how it goes once I eventually get around to it.

Not much to say about the first episode. Found the pacing a little off as there seemed to be quite a bit of hasty introductions to the various characters. I would've expected Morgoth to be a big bad but was hastily dispatched. The snow troll fight was a bit daft. Everyone just stands around and fails to do any damage to it. What would they do if they found Sauron? Then Galadriel shows up and starts showboating. Just kill the bloody thing.

What's the sword or whatever it is under the floorboards the kid found? It looks a lot like Narsil but this is set long before that. They even did the whole "still sharp" test. Strange.

Need to watch second episode but it's lunchtime and then I have a meeting. Stupid work.

Second episode done. The production values are top tier, but the writing, dialogue and acting seem very amateur and outright cringe.

Overall, it's just pretty boring and I don't care for any of the characters. It's pretty much how I felt watching The Witcher, and the complete opposite to how I'm feeling watching House of the Dragon. Not sure how many episodes there will be but I feel like watching it is going to be a slog.

Oh, and the guy who fell from the comet is clearly going to be Gandalf, even though I don't believe that would be consistent with Tolkien's work. But what does that matter?!

Edited by AshtimusPrime

52 minutes ago, JuSt BLaZe said:

I've enjoyed the first two episodes more than the first three episodes of HotD. Don't understand the current IMDb rating of 6.8/10. The show kept me going with a lot of questions that hopefully get answered in future episodes. I like it.

It’s been reviewed bombed to shit is the answer to that one.

• 3 weeks later...