• 16-20 Hours
    • 21-25 Hours
    • 26-35 Hours
    • 36-50 Hours
    • 51-75 Hours
    • 76-100 Hours
    • 100+ Hours

On 3/27/2022 at 11:26 AM, Rapazin said:

10/10. After many hours and somewhere near the hundred attempts, fucking Heisenberg boss made me quit (village of shadows difficulty)...first game i ever quit for this reason... was enjoying the game up to this point. Need a break maybe and clear my mind. Still won't change my opinion about that fight. Just stupid cheap boss.

That fight is like a 3/10.  I could do it for you in one try if you need help.

• 3 weeks later...

Going with a 6/10 and 45 hours. The biggest roadblocks to 100% completion were the Chris chapter (VoS), Heisenberg boss fight (VoS), and harder Mercenaries stages.

Chris's chapter was annoying simply because I was so reliant on the S.T.A.K.E during my entire VoS run. Once I got my bearings and played much safer, it wasn't that difficult.

Heisenberg boss fight was the worst due to RNG. The only reason I was able to finally beat him was pure luck. I had to memorize all the blocking and dodging windows after retrying countless times. Just an awful, awful boss.

The later Mercenaries stages were grueling, but Optinoob's YT guides carried me hard. This mode might have been my biggest hurdle if it weren't for him.

• 7 months later...

Difficulty: 7

Most of the challenge comes from the Mercenaries mode (and in my case playing the story mode on the highest difficulty, Hardcore, right away). However, since I 1000G-ed the game back then on Xbox, I have exp. in getting all achievements/trophies, so that saved me quite some time and headache. A total of 3 playthroughs were needed:

1st playthrough (Hardcore): all collectibles + less than 4 healing + most miscellanous trophies

2nd playthrough (Casual): less than 3 hours + knife only + spending less than 10000 Lei

3rd playthrough (Village of Shadows): equipping all gun customisable parts + collecting and crafting all recipes

The Lycan ambush at the beginning of the game as well as ammo conservation make up of most of the difficulty of the first playthrough. However there are tricks to survive that part and kill enemies using the knife in Castle Dimitrescu. After that, the game is much more manageable when stronger weapons are available. In addition, switching off the Adaptive Trigger in the option menu helps with aiming a lot.

(P) time: 44 hours for the base game, which includes the following:

1. fully upgrading all weapons

2. achieving SSS in all Mercenaries maps (full combos except the very last map, Mad Village II)

3. completing all challenges

4. buying everything in the extra content map

spacer.png

Edited by imaginaryruins

• 1 year later...

I picked up the platinum yesterday evening. I would rate the difficulty as 6/10 and it took me 53 hrs. The game is skill dependent and the approach taken to earning the trophies will likely be different from player to player thus the difficulty and time ratings could vary significantly. 

I done an initial blind play through on normal difficulty as I just wanted to enjoy the game is it was intended albeit I did try and save a bit of Lei (money). My second play through was on casual difficulty and on that run I cleaned up all collectibles and miscellaneous trophies. I also earned the trophies for using four or less healing items and for spending less than 10,000 lei at the Duke’s shop. The healing trophy shouldn’t pose too much of a problem for anyone on casual difficulty. 

By the end of my second play through I had enough money to purchase and fully upgrade the stake magnum. Once upgraded I used some completion points to purchase the infinite ammo for the stake in the bonus shop. On my third play through I just focused on the speed run. You could choose to combine the knife only and speed run trophies but it takes longer to kill bosses with the knife 

(especially Urias during the Chris section) therefore I opted to do a fourth run for the knife only trophy. The speed run is pretty forgiving. You are allowed 3 hrs and I managed a time of 2 hrs 15 mins. It is worth noting that the timer stops when you pause the game or access your inventory so you can use this to your advantage if you need to take a moment to think about where to go next.

My fifth and final play through was completing the game on Village of Shadows difficulty. Before attempting this players should make sure that they have both the fully upgraded stake magnum and the rocket launcher with infinite ammo. The flash bangs from the rocket launcher are very useful for stunning the soldat enemies in the factory which then allows you to hit their weak points with the magnum. For me the hardest fight on VOS difficulty was phase 1 of the Heisenberg boss fight. You are in a tank for phase 1 and have to use the default tank weapons. You need to use the machine gun to focus on his weak points. You should only use the cannon as a defensive measure when he is about to hit you. You are only allowed a couple of hits in what is a reasonably long fight. The good news is that the second phase of the fight is really easy as you have your own weapons back and just need to shoot him in the head with the stake magnum about 6 or 7 times. The other hard part on this difficulty was the Chris section as you need to use Chris’s weapons. Players should make sure that they have unlocked infinite ammo for the dragoon before taking this on. The most difficult bit is trying to get enough time to use the target locator on the mold. 

The final part needed for the platinum was to S rank all 8 maps in the mercenaries side game. I owned the gold edition of the game which gave me access to Chris Redfield from the DLC. I used him for mercenaries as he has better weapons and perks when compared to Ethan Winters. The most useful perks for Chris are Finishing Reload and Auto Onslaught. Players should always select these two when they become available from the blue orbs. The finishing reload perk only becomes available if you can S rank the first four maps with Chris. To S rank the normal maps you do need to be able to chain long combos together in most parts of each map. This involves having to learn all the enemy spawn points and it will

take quite a bit of practice. Thankfully there are a few good video guides on Youtube. I would personally recommend Optinoob’s guide. Oddly enough the hard versions of the maps have lower scoring thresholds for the S ranks so this combined with Chris’s perks mean that a lot of players might find them easier than the normal maps. The enemies and spawn points are the same on the hard maps but the enemies hit harder and move faster whilst you have less ammo. 

Overall, I had great fun with this game. The gameplay was excellent. I particularly liked the combat, solving the puzzles and exploring the map for treasures. Once you know what you are doing subsequent runs can all be done in less than 3 hrs so having to replay the game didn’t seem like a drag for me. I even found the mercenaries side game to be quite addictive. It was very rewarding being able to pull off a full combo on a map after a bit practice. I would highly recommend this title to all horror fans.