[Confirmed] PS3 and Vita storefront shutdown REVERSED, PSP commerce functionality still due to end

ntahla

I will mention that the contents of this post are speculative.

I read an article here that mentions that Sony recently published a patent relating to a "Method and Apparatus for Awarding Trophies". In particular, the patent is in reference to emulated games.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps5-ps4-ps3-ps2-ps1-playstation-sony-games-backward-compatibility-patent/

Therefore, maybe Sony have something up their sleeve that might allow for widespread emulation of older games. :think:If these stores are going down, hopefully the games will be moving to another service that is more accessible to newer consoles. There is no confirmation of this though. Just a thought.

Edited by Slamma
Fixed dark mode formatting

2 minutes ago, FootballPsycho said:

I will mention that the contents of this post are speculative.

I read an article here that mentions that Sony recently published a patent relating to a "Method and Apparatus for Awarding Trophies". In particular, the patent is in reference to emulated games.

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/ps5-ps4-ps3-ps2-ps1-playstation-sony-games-backward-compatibility-patent/

Therefore, maybe Sony have something up their sleeve that might allow for widespread emulation of older games. :think: If these stores are going down, hopefully the games will be moving to another service that is more accessible to newer consoles. There is no confirmation of this though. Just a thought.

They've re-filed that or a similar patent a few times in recent years so the odds are the two things are unrelated :think:.

Edited by Terminator
Update.
  • Sad 1

The thing about that patent is that the tech behind it is already in use. The small number of PS2 classics on PS4 use that tech for trophies so I really don't think there's any connection to the rumoured store closures. I think it's just people grasping at straws. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

from a selfish side, i'd be happy b/c i'd never have the idiotic thought of "should i finish bad company or dark void?" go through my cranium ever again.

Geez, I purchased that Dark Void DLC ages ago...but then realized that I don't have my physical copy of Dark Void anymore so I'll have to re-purchase DV to play the DLC. But this may force my hand to admit to myself that I will never play the DV DLC...lol. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought it...it had to be on sale.

• Like 1

To start off, I agree with the opinion that "Yeah it's a "rumor" but Sony is such a garbage company that people would not be surprised at all if it ended up coming true". I am a guy who plays Ps3 only, I do not own any other consoles, call me old fashioned or whatever, modern games do not inspire me. Despite saying all that, if Sony shuts down the Ps3 store, that alone, would not upset me in the slightest. Anyone who still uses his Ps3 will know that the ps3 store is an absolute garbage storefront, atrocious design, backwards search engine,  averaging 10 fps, loading forever, crashing every time etc. And that's not all. If you live in Europe you know we have been getting exactly 0 (ZERO) discounts for the past (almost) 2 years. The only discounts we get are some shitty indie games which are multiplats so if they discount the ps4 version, that means the ps3 version is discounted too because they don't have separate lists 😄 So why would I give a shit about the store again? The same store that gives me games at a higher price than physical releases I can find? Now the externalities, could be bad yes. If this ends up making it so that we're not able to download the games we paid for OR take away licenses from already installed games because of CMOS battery running out or whatever theories people are saying, then yes that will be bad. But the store alone, fuck that thing, I'm trying to think of PSN digital exclusives I want to buy and I can't think of a single one. Bomberman? Echochrome? It was only good for discounts and they took that away 🤷‍♂️ Maybe the small selection of PS1/PS2 classics? I can emulate those on PC better than the PS3 can.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ImStylinOnYaBro said:

from a selfish side, i'd be happy b/c i'd never have the idiotic thought of "should i finish bad company or dark void?" go through my cranium ever again.

Now it'll just be "I should have finished Bad Company and Dark Void and now I never can."

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, stpatty said:

Now it'll just be "I should have finished Bad Company and Dark Void and now I never can."

No, because I’ve already got sports unobtainables.

4 hours ago, sum1_worsethan_u said:

Geez, I purchased that Dark Void DLC ages ago...but then realized that I don't have my physical copy of Dark Void anymore so I'll have to re-purchase DV to play the DLC. But this may force my hand to admit to myself that I will never play the DV DLC...lol. Don't know what I was thinking when I bought it...it had to be on sale.

It’s terrible dlc. The one map freezes on wave 8 or 9 every time, making the completing with high score in sanely rage enduring. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, honda hoe said:

@ImStylinOnYaBro

u definitely should go back and mop up bad company

I mean.. you've endured absolutely shittier and less impressive games than that

(no I'm not referring to your simulators. I'm talking about RDR2 lol)

Hell no playa. the controls suck ass , it’s incidentally anti boost as a game could get without trying, and no life hardcores still play and ruin everything.

without a doubt the worst FPS I’ve ever played. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jerry Appleby said:

Just seems very odd that Sony has stayed silent on this whole thing so far.

Yes, it is odd.  I'm still in the speculative camp, but if this was a) bad for Sony's rep AND b) false, they'd put out a statement killing it ASAP.  Like you've said, they've stayed silent.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2021 at 6:52 PM, Jerry Appleby said:

The fact that Sony has mentioned nothing about this and that every single article talking about this only references that gamer website, I don't think the news could be true. There are no sources mentioned in any articles relating to Sony themselves, and the backlash caused by this would ruin Sony.

Although if the stories are true and Sony does shut down the store, it won't take away your purchased games; According to the articles I've read, it will only stop you from buying games/DLC, but nothing about downloading ones you've already purchased.

On PS3, you can access your download list through the Account Management, then the Transaction Management section. 

As for Vita, I don't know how it could be affected, but if the Store gets completely removed on Vita, you'd have to download the game onto your PS3, then use the charge cable to transfer it to your Vita (that's how I used to do all my PS3 -> PSV games before I got my Vita, man it's a hassle though :p ). Hopefully that wouldn't be the case though as it's painfully slow.

Really hope it doesn't happen, otherwise I'm gonna have to go on a massive spending spree to make sure I have all DLCs owned for all the games in my backlog that I might eventually play.

At least almost my entire PS3 library is physical so the discs will always work. 

But for a company that's trying to promote digital only for the future, they're really taking a step backwards if this comes true!

I think we should stop doubting ourselves and say that the PS3/Vita stores will be gone eventually. Nothing lasts forever.

What boils my blood is every other person on social media right now who gives a shit about this rumor is trying to say this will close in a few short months. There is no confirmation whatsoever. We already have fucking IGN and other big website that have already spread this rumor with their brain dead fanbase.

I will be happy if Sony were to come out and tell me the stores will be closing at the end of this year, or perhaps at the beginning of next year. If they say they will close this summer, that will be an extremely hard pill to swallow as I have a small PS3 backlog I need to go through still. There are a couple games, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance and Enslaved: Odyssey to the West that I want to get where DLC is only available thru the store. From my knowledge I couldn't find any physical version of either game that comes with the DLC.

The digital future is not looking so good.

18 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I don't like the glacial pace Sony are moving at. I know they're riding a long wave of success and the PS5 has been an unprecedented success too so it's difficult to make the argument that they're doing things wrong but it's about the long-term, 5-10 years from now, and I fear that Sony will be too slow to get onboard with things and they'll be left behind. I mentioned this in another thread a while back where I wrote a detailed piece on this very topic so I won't go into it here. Sony's library of games and IP is unmatched so it's sad to see them rotting away rather than being celebrated and allowed to reach new audiences. There will be a generation of people who will never get to experience these older systems now because they've basically been rendered useless. Even if this turns out to be false it's only a matter of time before it does happen and not just the stores closing but eventually PSN access will be taken offline. Sony need to do better

Personally I gave up on Xbox with Microsoft's poor handling of the Xbox One given that for years, they had an edge over Sony because their Xbox 360 did a lot better than the PS3 in the west, especially early in that generation.

Now the ball seems to be shifting more towards Microsoft, and Nintendo of late has been accepting more titles from Japanese developers that do not have a PS4 or PS5 release.

What kills me is Sony is just being fucking stupid in all of this. They killed off Sony Studio Japan, which I felt made some rather unique and special exclusives. I still need to play through Knack and while it wasn't received very well at the PS4 launch, it still gave Sony's library something a little different from the norm. Jim Ryan is now pushing forth the thought process that people in the UK and Canada now have to pay a lot more for PS5 games and he's saying this price increase is a great idea.

This is like taking away DOOM and DOOM II because they're not profitable, that's really the reason why I think Sony will likely remove the old PS3/Vita lineup completely. You can argue that yes, old ass games from the 1990s, 2000s and early 2010s aren't profitable anymore because let's be honest, they're past their prime. But old games can and will still attract new audiences. There are games from the 2000s and early 2010s that I never got a chance to play and I can't wait to play, and by taking away my option to experience these games at all, you're basically making them lost and out of reach.

Eventually the older Uncharted games will reach a point where a very niche audience will still play them, but younger and newer audiences should still be given the opportunity to play them. Sony is taking this entire thing the wrong way, and their actions these past couple years suggest to me that they just don't care anymore.

Jim Ryan himself practically stated 'why would anyone play an old game from 2004', with that kind of attitude, you don't care about legacy systems or older games at all.

• Like 3

So I just went and bought the three Metal Gear Rising DLCs that are necessary if I want to get 100% in the game. I still don't want to play the game but I take it it's essential to download the DLC on my console, right? Is that enough or do I also have to launch the game to make sure I keep the DLC?

5 hours ago, Ivotas said:

So I just went and bought the three Metal Gear Rising DLCs that are necessary if I want to get 100% in the game. I still don't want to play the game but I take it it's essential to download the DLC on my console, right? Is that enough or do I also have to launch the game to make sure I keep the DLC?

u bought dlc for a game u don't want to play because of a rumor? 🤯

19 minutes ago, honda hoe said:

u bought dlc for a game u don't want to play because of a rumor? 🤯

I think they meant they bought the DLC in advance but are not planning on playing the game just yet.

5 hours ago, Ivotas said:

Store and download list are two separate things. Even after stores' closure, items bought should still be available.

22 hours ago, Spazman said:

Jim Ryan himself practically stated 'why would anyone play an old game from 2004', with that kind of attitude, you don't care about legacy systems or older games at all.

The guy is obviously out of touch with actual gamers. :facepalm: I honestly have more fun playing my retro games than most of the newer games out there, I'm on my N64 almost every day playing random titles.

I wish Sony would just say something about all this. They have to know people are pissed off about it, but if they don't bring it up themselves it makes them look so much worser to find out these things through 3rd parties.

But if in fact it turns out the rumours are true, I will have to go through my entire PS3 backlog and buy a ton of DLCs for the games I'd play. I'll have to start making a list in the coming days and make sure I get a bunch of PSN cards to prep.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Gytree said:

I think they meant they bought the DLC in advance but are not planning on playing the game just yet.

Store and download list are two separate things. Even after stores' closure, items bought should still be available.

The Vita download list is accessed through the native Vita store app.  If they're shutting down the store, hopefully they separate the download list.

5 hours ago, Jerry Appleby said:

The guy is obviously out of touch with actual gamers. :facepalm: I honestly have more fun playing my retro games than most of the newer games out there, I'm on my N64 almost every day playing random titles.

I wish Sony would just say something about all this. They have to know people are pissed off about it, but if they don't bring it up themselves it makes them look so much worser to find out these things through 3rd parties.

But if in fact it turns out the rumours are true, I will have to go through my entire PS3 backlog and buy a ton of DLCs for the games I'd play. I'll have to start making a list in the coming days and make sure I get a bunch of PSN cards to prep.

There are exceptions of course but I'm beginning to feel the same way. Probably because of how much realism is thrown into games now.

Deus Ex and Metal Gear Solid are two old franchises I can think of that set the bar for storytelling and a sense of realism, yet both provided solid, satisfying gameplay.

People play games like they watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. The developers know because of the rise of quality storytelilng in one hour shows, they're going to emulate that for video games.

My reason for playing games above all else is the gameplay. Not the story, not the acting, not the direction, not the score or the politics. That all plays secondary for me and is really just icing on the cake for what should be gameplay first and foremost. Indie games and retro games prioritize gameplay the best, I'm not saying AAA games can't do this but it's very obvious that graphics and storytelling that is equivalent to a typical one hour Netflix drama have been monumental. That's what people want nowadays. Heavily story driven games where actual gameplay sort of falls to the backburner.

I'm not playing The Last of Us Part II because I don't like the style of storytelling and the politics surrounding it both in-game and outside the game. Give me more stuff like Nex Machina, Matterfall, Alienation, Diablo III: Reaper of Souls, Hollow Knight and Resogun. You can still make a game modern and have awesome gameplay, as the guys who made these games proved.

4 hours ago, Stork77 said:

The Vita download list is accessed through the native Vita store app.  If they're shutting down the store, hopefully they separate the download list.

That's my biggest fear. I want to be able to access my bought games if and after the stores are gone.

2 hours ago, honda hoe said:

I don't think so

retro gamers are in the minority. the average gamer wants NEW games/consoles

So are indie games, niche genres like Japanese VNs, horror simulations and walking simulators.

Typically, the average gamer buys up the latest Call of Duty, plays the yearly Madden series, buys a game like Red Dead Redemption 2, and perhaps buy the odd little game here and there. That's it. They generally don't buy more than 5 - 10 games a year, and when they finish the story they stop playing the game and sell it to an online retail store.

• Like 3

So it appears that they removed the ability to access the old Ps3 store online, https://store.playstation.com/en-gr?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp (this is for greece, but people are reporting it doesn't work for their countries either) Bad omens are coming left and right, we shall see 😉

9 hours ago, Panikooooos said:

So it appears that they removed the ability to access the old Ps3 store online, https://store.playstation.com/en-gr?PlatformPrivacyWs1=all&psappver=19.15.0&smcid=psapp (this is for greece, but people are reporting it doesn't work for their countries either) Bad omens are coming left and right, we shall see 😉

The US and UK links don't work either :(.

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 5:53 AM, Ivotas said:

So technically if I uninstall the DLC (or anything that I've purchased from the store) I could redownload it again even after the stores close? O.o

Well, I'm in no position to promise anything. It all depends on how they are going to handle the situation but yes, in case of the best, close stores only scenario.

14 hours ago, Panikooooos said:

Polish one redirects to the new store as well.

• Like 2

On 3/27/2021 at 5:21 PM, Gytree said:

Well, I'm in no position to promise anything. It all depends on how they are going to handle the situation but yes, in case of the best, close stores only scenario.

Thanks for the info mate. Not really planning to uninstall anything anyways. I was just curious about the possibilities. I'm just happy to know that now that I've downloaded the DLC it stays with me. Haven't really installed it yet as I still haven't launched the game so far. But from what you say I take it that there's no issue with this, right?^^

• FootballPsycho changed the title to [Confirmed] PS3 and Vita storefront shutdown REVERSED, PSP commerce functionality still due to end