PlayStation VR2

The Alchemist

9dR1a9p.jpg

Welcome:

I will keep this thread updated as frequently as possible with all of the latest news and game announcements for the next generation of PSVR, so check back regularly!

Important Information:

• Release - February 22, 2023
  • Price - €599.99 / $549.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain Bundle - €649.99 / $599.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980

PlayStation VR2 Sense Controller Charging Station:

• Release - February 22, 2023
  • Price - €49.99 / $49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480

PlayStation Blog Updates:

PlayStation Blog Announcement #1 - Introducing the next generation of VR

PlayStation Blog Announcement #2 - Next-gen VR on PS5: The new controller

PlayStation Blog Announcement #3 - PlayStation VR2 and PlayStation VR2 Sense controller

PlayStation Blog Announcement #4 - First look: The headset design for PlayStation VR2

PlayStation Blog Announcement #5 - Early look at the user experience for PlayStation VR2

PlayStation Blog Announcement #6 - Launch Details

Features & Specifications:

Spoiler

Visual Fidelity: For a high-fidelity visual experience, PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.

Headset-based Controller Tracking: With inside-out tracking, PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.

New Sensory Features: PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player. It’s created by a single built-in motor with vibrations that add an intelligent tactile element, bringing players closer to the gameplay experience. For example, gamers can feel a character’s elevated pulse during tense moments, the rush of objects passing close to the character’s head, or the thrust of a vehicle as the character speeds forward. Additionally, PS5’s Tempest 3D AudioTech makes sounds in the player’s surroundings come alive, adding to this new level of immersion.

Eye Tracking: With eye tracking, PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes, so a simple look in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character. This allows players to interact more intuitively in new and lifelike ways, allowing for a heightened emotional response and enhanced expression that provide a new level of realism in gaming. 

PlayStation VR2 Specifications:

Display method: OLED

Panel resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye

Panel refresh rate: 90Hz, 120Hz

Lens separation: Adjustable

Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees

Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer). Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor

Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller tracking. IR camera for eye tracking per eye

Communication with PS5: USB Type-C

Audio: Input: Built-in microphone. Output: Stereo headphone jack

PlayStation VR2 Sense Controllers Specifications:

Buttons: [Right] PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button. [Left] PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button

Sensing/ Tracking: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer). Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking

Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)

Port: USB Type-C

Communication: Bluetooth (Ver5.1) 

Battery: Type: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery

User Experience:

See-Through View

With PS VR2, you can see your surroundings while wearing the headset with our new see-through feature. It comes in handy when you want to easily check where the PS VR2 Sense controllers are in your room without taking the headset off. Thanks to PS VR2’s embedded front cameras, users can press the function button on the headset, or use the Card in the Control Center, to switch between viewing your surroundings, or viewing the content on PS VR2. The Card in the Control Center also gives quick access to other PS VR2 settings, such as adjusting your play area. The see-through view is just for viewing only, so there’s no recording option.

4aa6e0fbbebd37ad517c7d397fa7b1938d4fbc5f

6c4ac44ec125e1fc23c508f56133440d68edeb13

Broadcast Yourself While Playing

A new broadcast feature for PS VR2 will allow you to film yourself while playing, by connecting a PS5 HD Camera to the console. It’s a great way to show your movements and reactions during a boss battle and share your reactions with your fellow gamers as it happens! 

Customized Play Area 

The play area for PS VR2 can be customized by using the PS VR2 Sense controllers and the embedded cameras. The cameras will allow you to scan the room, while the PS VR2 Sense controllers allow you to expand and further customize the play area to fit your play style and room environment. While playing, if you get close to the boundary you have set up, you will receive a warning that you are closely approaching the play area boundary. You can modify your settings at any time while PS VR2 is connected. Once you set up your play area, the settings will be saved unless you move into a different play area.

5869697e2eb74e13412412279ee4cbf1a90e661c

573b374e6ecf138115641d88f47e55677cd9023c

VR Mode and Cinematic Mode

In VR Mode, players can enjoy VR game content in a 360 view in a virtual environment. Content will be displayed in 4000 x 2040 HDR video format (2000 x 2040 per eye) with 90Hz/120Hz frame rate. In Cinematic Mode, players can view the PS5 system and UI and all non-VR game and media content on a virtual cinema screen. Content in Cinematic Mode will be displayed in 1920×1080 HDR video format with 24/60Hz and also 120Hz frame rate.

Headset Gallery:

Spoiler

dARBtzz.jpg

R5pfc0w.jpg

8guVqi4.jpg

Controller Gallery:

Spoiler

TYboQcu.jpg

qrFuqqO.jpg

oytjpqF.jpg

Packaging Gallery:

Spoiler

WU92PYO.jpg

BCQ2ggZ.jpg

kEkURAg.jpg

Confirmed Games:

• After The Fall
  • Alvo
  • Among Us
  • Cities VR – Enhanced Edition
  • Cosmonious High
  • Crossfire: Sierra Squad
  • Demeo
  • Firewall Ultra
  • Firmament
  • Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue
  • Horizon: Call of the Mountain
  • Jurassic World Aftermath Collection 
  • Low-Fi
  • No Man's Sky
  • Pavlov
  • Pistol Whip VR 
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Resident Evil Village
  • RUNNER
  • Samurai Slaughter House
  • Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge - Enhanced Edition
  • Tentacular
  • The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR
  • The Light Brigade
  • The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - Chapter 2: Retribution
  • Zenith: The Last City
Edited by The Alchemist
Additional Information

This was inevitable. VR has huge potential and the surface has only been scratched on what's possible for the platform. I love my PSVR and so I'm super hyped for this. PSVR had some truly amazing experiences but I understand that it was expensive so not everyone had the chance to try it out. It was also less elegant compared to competitors and how they handled things like tracking and movement in games etc. so I expect this new version will rectify those issues massively and bring the platform on par with other VR systems on the market. Can't wait for this! 

so it won’t be launching in 2021

YESS! :francis: @Slamma @Velvet

Disappointed that there will be a cable still, I have had the Oculus Quest for a few months and it was pretty fantastic not having a cable. Also the tracking and the feel of the controllers were on point, so they have work to do if they want to be competitive. 😛

Waiting to see what games they're going to release for this new PSVR.

3 hours ago, Easty said:

Disappointed that there will be a cable still, I have had the Oculus Quest for a few months and it was pretty fantastic not having a cable. Also the tracking and the feel of the controllers were on point, so they have work to do if they want to be competitive. 

😛

Waiting to see what games they're going to release for this new PSVR.

I don't think VR is at the stage yet for being truly wireless, at least from what I've been reading on it. It seems there's always a compromise involved be it added expense or a slight hit to visuals or something else. It would have been nice but I think a single cable is still a huge improvement over the current PSVR setup so I don't really mind.

The tracking and the new controller are what I'm interested in the most. It sounds like the controller will be getting some of the DualSense features which sounds amazing. If we get more Astro Bot then I'm already sold 😀 Sounds like devs are already making games for it too so it's probably a 2022 release

One wire and not going through a breakout box (unless I missed something about that) would make adapting it to Wireless much easier. Would be more expensive to just have it all wireless built in which they probably don't want to do to keep it more affordable and accessible, and could potentially sell an adapter later to convert the headset to wireless like you can get for the Vive. 

Edited by Gage

9 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I don't think VR is at the stage yet for being truly wireless, at least from what I've been reading on it. It seems there's always a compromise involved be it added expense or a slight hit to visuals or something else. It would have been nice but I think a single cable is still a huge improvement over the current PSVR setup so I don't really mind.

8 hours ago, Gage said:

One wire and not going through a breakout box (unless I missed something about that) would make adapting it to Wireless much easier. Would be more expensive to just have it all wireless built in which they probably don't want to do to keep it more affordable and accessible, and could potentially sell an adapter later to convert the headset to wireless like you can get for the Vive. 

Well the Oculus Quest wasn't that much more expensive than the PSVR when it was released, and it's wireless, better visuals and better controllers/tracking (and had the controllers included, it was another 60-70 bucks for the PS moves so all in all it was the same price). I'm not sure about the Oculus Quest 2, it might just be a cheaper version but it's also pretty cheap for a VR headset and I have no doubt it's better than the PSVR. Not saying the Quest is the best VR headset, far from that, but the other ones don't cost the same price 😛

I understand it was their first entry in the VR market so it can't be perfect and it was good for what it was, but if they now want to sell a new VR headset, probably around 400-500€/$ then they better have good arguments. Being wireless would've been one of them, so now I just hope they have good things to announce. One thing they have that the competition don't is certainely the games, Astro Bot and Blood & Truth to only name these ones were excellent games. Let's just hope they will release plenty of them in the future, becaue honestly I haven't used my PSVR in ages 😛

7 hours ago, mcolwander90 said:

This announcement coming the same day as GT7's delay can not be a coincidence. They have to be planning something. Not sure how far along PSVR2 is, but pairing it with GT7 would be a brilliant move.

This was exactly my thought this morning!

I'm excited for the VR 2.0. Recently brought out my PSVR again and having a blast with it, but the whole setting up of it with the box and tons of cables is just ugh. One cable plug and play sounds good to me.

• 4 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, Viper said:

Never even thought about looking for an existing thread, other than we knew this was coming at some point...I didn't know there was any info almost a year ago. 

Yep. The initial announcement was made in February, and the controllers were unveiled a month later.

--------------------------- 

It's interesting that the majority of rumoured specs turned out to be true. Even the VR Horizon game was rumoured ages ago.

This is a day 1 for me, no question about it. It's shaping up to be an absolute beast. And with Sony doubling down on AAA games for it... I can't wait. I love my PSVR and this just takes everything up a few levels.

Edited by The Alchemist

45 minutes ago, Slamma said:

Holy shit you aren't kidding.

Though I'll bet the price is a beast as well  :pout:

Oh for sure it'll be expensive. I reckon between €399 and €499. I can't see it costing more than the PS5 itself, though. But I'm getting in there before the scalpers and other people do. I'd prefer to buy it now rather than waiting God knows how long for it to become available again. 

8 minutes ago, Sellers said:

Sounding like a significant upgrade, no word on BC though with PSVR yet though.

As this uses inside out tracking, I can't see how it would support original PSVR titles without devs going and updating the games. But that has actually been rumoured for some titles, so I expect we will see at least some titles getting updates, similar to PS4 games getting upgraded for the PS5. 

11 hours ago, Sellers said:

Sounding like a significant upgrade, no word on BC though with PSVR yet though.

I was the same Thinking.

With all that new High End Technic Inside i think it would be hard to emulate the Old Eye Light Dot System from PSVR for BC.

I still wish this is gonna happen, but depending on the new PSVR2 Games i can live with it. The New System sounds really Great impovemend to the just 6 Year old Hardware from 2016.

This will certainly be well out of my price range. Maybe if I'm lucky, my brother will hand-me-down his original PSVR when he buys his PSVR2 so I can play some of the games I've missed out on. Not that I have any space given my current set up :rofl:

EDIT: To followup my previous post, surprised there's nothing on GT7 in conjunction with this yet. That I know of.

Edited by mcolwander90

I've always been interested in VR...but not for it's price point. I'm lucky to even have a PS5 for retail price...I can't imagine paying the same amount or more for a peripheral. IMO the console should ALWAYS be the most expensive aspect of the bundle...everything else is extra. 

However, the improvements are pretty damned impressive. I don't really know what I was expecting (never got to play the original), but outside of finally making it completely wireless it definitely sounds like a huge upgrade. 

Though with the tracking tech on the headset, what was the PS5 camera even for? Streaming?

Edited by Viper

On 2/24/2021 at 2:23 AM, Easty said:

Well the Oculus Quest wasn't that much more expensive than the PSVR when it was released, and it's wireless, better visuals and better controllers/tracking (and had the controllers included, it was another 60-70 bucks for the PS moves so all in all it was the same price). I'm not sure about the Oculus Quest 2, it might just be a cheaper version but it's also pretty cheap for a VR headset and I have no doubt it's better than the PSVR. Not saying the Quest is the best VR headset, far from that, but the other ones don't cost the same price 😛

I understand it was their first entry in the VR market so it can't be perfect and it was good for what it was, but if they now want to sell a new VR headset, probably around 400-500€/$ then they better have good arguments. Being wireless would've been one of them, so now I just hope they have good things to announce. One thing they have that the competition don't is certainely the games, Astro Bot and Blood & Truth to only name these ones were excellent games. Let's just hope they will release plenty of them in the future, becaue honestly I haven't used my PSVR in ages 😛

Yeah Oculus Quest 2 is alot easier to get and its at the usual good price for a system.   Also it looks better with the recalled version that they fixed the model abit. PSVR 2 idk how much more Sony improved on it but i think its not worth it because since i have PSVR 1 and haven't used it in years. Its just not worth it imo, not with its price either

8 hours ago, Viper said:

However, the improvements are pretty damned impressive.

I feel like the resolution upgrade alone is worth it...  PSVR games aren't crisp. They do have a slightly blurry/pixelated look to them. To me, it was never a big issue as the fun of playing said game was enough to give a pass to the graphical quality.

I hear that the haptics in the headset will be used to help mitigate motion sickness. This is the best part of the news for me because my motion sickness with video games has been getting worse over the last few years.

They haven't mentioned anything about backward compatibility yet with the old PS VR games, but if it does end up being backward compatible, I will be buying this day one as I already have a huge library of PS VR games that I haven't played yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Viper pinned this topic