The PST Community Holly Jolly Jingle Bingo ~ Feedback

Slamma

We're listening. Let it all out. Use the below questions if you want or go off script.

Did you like the community aspect?

What was your favorite tile?

What was your least favorite tile? 

Did this event occurring during Christmas affect your ability to contribute?

How much do you love Clubs?

How much more time do you reckon would be needed to get the full Blackout?

How many submissions do you think were made?

Do you feel like the event benefited from the new forum software in any way?

Anything else you'd like to politely say to your ED crew regarding the event?

Edited by Slamma
  • Like 1

Did you like the community aspect?

I love a community aspect inside events, I think others don't as it may not have helped With it being Christmas,  but hey togetherness and all that jazz. Maybe just more difficult as people are never gonna have 24/7 availability,  but then it adds to the drama.

The Naughty List,  by far. I h*cking love the planning aspect of spelling, and would love to see more of it in future events. Sure its tense watching trophies pop, but that adds to the mystique.

Id personally say Santa's speed run, but that's not because of the time requirements or the numbers, and its only because I love popping plats, and I'm awful at interacting with people when popping them lel. Should have taken it as a sign to make new friends as I couldve greatly added to the total.

For 2-3 days I was fully away from my console due to driving up north, and Christmas preparations also took some time out. However I wouldn't say it massively took away from my time due to a certain global pandemic, but I can see how it could affect others in less forgiving situations

This club

I like it

another 

legit clubs are great, alongside custom lists and everything else on those lines, as theure a snapshot into a members mind at the time of creation. I definitely don't give either enough love and need to have a scope through soon tm. Some are a little outdated maybe, but that's what the people loved at the time, so some new ezpz ones may bring some life perhaps who knows. I just know people only ever join my ezpz one whenn there's an event ongoing and not for the sake of their health 

If we hadn't given up all hope shorty after the 5k day, I'd say we would've been very close with some careful planning in the early days. As of the current pace, maybe 10 more days max, but I've no clue of submissions numbers 

How many submissions do you think were made?

considering burnout, imma say a reasonable guess of 80 participants with say 25 submissions as an average soooo lets bump it up, 2100 due to individual submissions

Do you feel like the event benefited from the new forum software in any way?

Id say it definitely did, allowed for more people to see it who may not have done before, and also allowed for faster notifications whenever something was said in the thread itself compared to the old method.

I love you all and hope you know that ❤ loved the event and every event you guys bring to the table as its something new and unique, h*ck the people who think otherwise as they don't know theres another person reading those words on the other side of the Internet, getting hit again and again and again for giving up their own free time.

Here's to even more spelling

also also I loved free space,  ban me slammy

• Like 2

I didn't mind it. Always nice to mix it up. Wouldn't have picked a large community event myself, but I'm also not against it. Variety is the spice of life.

What was your favourite tile?

He's making a list - thought the is was a very nice touch for a community event. Was nice to see us come together on that one.

What was your least favourite tile? 

Don't really have one that I disliked, but seeing I have to pick one I will go for Santa's Speed Run. Didn't like that both plats only counted for 1.

No. Kids are usually in bed and settled by half 8, so always have a big chunk each evening to game if I wanted. I think by the time Xmas actually hit though it was obvious we weren't going to make the targets, so people slowed down.

I think they are excellent, but they need some work. Whether that be some people get to make a new club because theirs is that old, or being able to chase up people who haven't made theirs, or other ideas that could help with them, it's not my decision. They just need a bit of attention.

Another two weeks would possibly have got the job done.

3,000?

I'm not sure it benefited (or hindered) in any way, but it is nice using the new forum. The tagging feature is excellent, so maybe it did have a slight benefit?

Excellent list of tasks, and thoroughly enjoyed the event. Not allowing trophies to be used for multiple tiles was a killer, as people could have been creative with which trophies they earned and the best way to use them. Without that it just meant that too many platinums were needed, but we don't have to complete every event. Love spelling so always glad to see that included.

However: where did Bingo come into this event? With it being a full-house (blackout) only that meant the Bingo element was completely redundant. You could have just dressed this up as Santa's List and it would have been exactly the same. A possibility could have been to re-word the tiles, and then have the target to be complete X amount of lines as a community, and a nice bonus for every full-house completed. The beauty of the bingo boards has always been allowing to people choose which line(s) suits them best, and then if they want to attempt a blackout. 

TL;DR = excellent event, but where was the Bingo?

• Like 2

Did you like the community aspect? No. When it comes to gaming, I much prefer to do things under my own steam without having to rely others so I know if I fail, it's all on me and I only have myself to blame.

What was your favourite tile? Silver and Gold, because then it didn't matter what the game was you could use.

What was your least favourite tile? Platinums Earned on High, because the "Unique" part of the rules meant all the suitable games I had, were already taken by the time I figured what could and couldn't be used from my backlog so left me at a severe disadvantage. I also have to echo what Martz and Jerry Appleby said and agree with their choice of least favourite tiles. The PS5 title was an especially bad idea, given the small amount of consoles available at launch and the abysmally low amount of launch titles so hardly anyone had a PS5 and even fewer had many games worth using.

Did this event occurring during Christmas affect your ability to contribute? Yes, because Christmas + Pandemic + Family and other commitments = my spare time was very restricted and not having much spare cash meant I was unable to buy many games from the Christmas sales which would have helped me out.

How much do you love Clubs? I have to echo what staytrue said "I think they are excellent but need some work. Whether that be some people get to make a new club because theirs is that old or being able to chase up people who haven't made theirs or other ideas that could help with them". The clubs are a great idea but the system has stagnated badly over the last couple of years and is in dire need of a top to bottom overhaul. Also, I would sign up to a lot more clubs if they contained games I actually wanted to play but most are in genres and franchises I don't care for :(.

Here are some suggestions for how to fix the Clubs:

- Nuke the lot of them and start over from scratch with new games.

- Get rid of the current restrictions on what games can and cannot be included.

- Once every quarter, allow a club owner to add 1 or 2 DLC games to the list up to a maximum of e.g. 12 in its lifetime but keep the sign-up requirements the same so you only need 4 or 5 games on the list to join the club and get the site award.

- Have a reminders list somewhere so the EDs know who has and hasn't created club, then they can ping those people every so often and remind them to make their club.

How much more time do you reckon would be needed to get the full Blackout? At the rate we were going, I estimate we would have needed at least another 14 days (maybe more) to get anywhere close to mopping up the last 5 tiles because the requirements were totally unrealistic.

How many submissions do you think were made? 10,000 as an extremely conservative guestimate.

Do you feel like the event benefited from the new forum software in any way? Other than the calender and maybe the tagging system, I didn't see any noteworthy differences between this event and ones held pre-site upgrade.

Anything else you'd like to politely say to your ED crew regarding the event? Again, I have to echo what staytrue said: "Not allowing trophies to be used for multiple tiles was a killer, as people could have been creative with which trophies they earned and the best way to use them. Without that, it just meant that too many Platinums were needed". This one rule/set of rules, made it much harder to plan which games I could use for which tile so had to pass over several valuable titles :(. I can understand this rule being on 1 or 2 tiles but not most of them - that was overkill. It also didn't help that several of the rules/caveats were vaguely written and easily misinterpreted.

I also have to echo what staytrue said about the lack of any actual bingo: "However: where did Bingo come into this event? With it being a full-house (blackout) only, that meant the Bingo element was completely redundant. You could have just dressed this up as Santa's List and it would have been exactly the same. A possibility could have been to re-word the tiles, then have the target to be complete X amount of lines as a community and a nice bonus for every full-house completed. The beauty of the bingo boards has always been allowing to people choose which line(s) suits them best then, if they want to, attempt a blackout". This would have made the event infinitely better and far less time consuming IMO :).

Edited by Terminator
Added more detail.
  • Like 2

In the sense that the community tried to reach a goal together, yes. In the sense that some tiles required the community to work together at the same time like the 5k day and santa's speedrun, no.

The Naughty List. Spelling with trophies is really fun. The Perfect Tree was a close second despite me not submitting anything for it. If trophies in the perfect tree could stack with other tiles it would have been my overall favorite.

Free Space. I don't even care if I get an infraction, I hated the tile so much that it'd be worth it. I've already let Velvet know in more detail why I hated it so much, but the main reason is that it was 100% reliant on other people earning and then submitting their trophies. It was communicated in a way that if one person didn't submit then the entire site would lose the event and that caused me a lot of problems. If any other tile caused us to lose (and other tiles did) it would be fine because we tried our best but failed but if that one did then it would be because one single person messed it up for everyone.

Not particularly. Moving house during the event caused bigger problems with contributing than Christmas did.

I think clubs are nice but they don't seem to work well with events.

Probably another 1-2 weeks

With people submitting more than one trophy at a time probably around 3350 between trophies and games submitted. Counting each trophy in those submissions as its own probably around 8900 because of scrooge's stash.

Possibly the calendar system, though it wasn't much benefit

An aspect I didn't like with the event as a whole was needing to submit unique games for a specific tile and submitting for certain tiles negating the others. I think the goals for all the tiles (besides the free space) were fair. If one or both rules weren't there I'm pretty confident that we would have been able to meet the goals in time. I think you did a good job setting the goals.

• Like 2

- Yes i like both Ways. Challenge or Work Together as a Team.

- 100%  uniqe PSN Games. I am no Liar. I don't play manny 100% Games they don't have Platinum. I allmost Ignore all this Games. Thats why i have a Excuse to Play this Games in a Event. Followed by Backlog Clearing Games.

- The 10 Seconds Follow Platinums from other Member. Of Coruse doable when you have a Headset and a Partner but that was to manny.

- No.

- I have enter a Few. I don't look often in the List, but its a Great Thing to see Specific Genres who has played as Well. Sad Most of them are a Wild Mix of Genres ans 100 of Bloodbornes and CoD's  :)

- At least a Week and Full Go Out from all Members.

- 10.000 +

- No.

- Great Job Done. Like Olympics this was Fun again. The spreedsheat is a Good Idea and the new google Submissions Form work good for me.

As allways some description need some Eplain but anything else works fine.

• Like 1

Did you like the community aspect?

I'm not a big fan of large scale events like this. I've always preferred smaller, solo based events, although smaller team focused events with maybe 2-8 members per team are also fine. IMHO large events like this with 80+ people involved are rarely fun for me.

I only contributed to 4 of them so I guess I'll say Ghosts of Backlog Future. It gave me a chance to get started on some games I had been meaning to get around to for a while.

Didn't really have one. I just contributed what I was able to.

Yes. Christmas time is always busy for me. I know some people think that Christmas time + pandemic = all the free time in the world, but that just isn't the case. I had other things going on besides regular Christmas stuff and it just wasn't a great time for such a huge event. I think early new year would have been a better time, imo.

Meh. It's not something I've ever dug too much into. I've completed a few member clubs like sub clubs and stuff but never any staff lists etc. IIRC quite a lot of them are outdated or contain lots of PS3 games so that's something which has put me off them. I'm sure they were great at the time but I think a revamp wouldn't be a bad idea.

Maybe introduce a way for members to create clubs without being a subscriber. For example if you have at least 2,500 posts or have been a member for 5 years you are allowed to create a members club. IDK, I'm just throwing stuff out there. 

How much more time do you reckon would be needed to get the full Blackout?

Have no idea. A week or two?

Again, no clue. Going to throw a random number out... 7,500?

Do you feel like the event benefited from the new forum software in any way?

Not really, except for the tagging feature maybe? No real discernible difference though.

Anything else you'd like to politely say to your ED crew regarding the event?

As always the staff deserve a huge thank you. Even if I didn't personally enjoy the event, that's on me. The amount of work that goes into something like this is mind boggling and you guys deserve a lot of credit. 

• Like 1

It was alright. Personally I prefer events that don't have to rely on other people though.  The biggest problem with community events is that people will sign up and sometimes not participate at all or only barely, so if goals are determined by amount of participants, it could get skewed in a worse direction. But on the plus side, if there's a section you know you won't be able to help with (ie spelling or worse :p ), you can rely on the community to do it for you instead. :rofl:

It's hard to pick a favourite tile since there wasn't anything that really stood out for me. I liked most tiles aside from the ones I disliked. :p More on that below.

The spelling one. I can't stand spelling events so I'm glad the others did that for us instead. I know some people will say the Santa Speedrun for synced (P), I thought that event was a neat one, but the goal was way too high. That doesn't mean it was a bad tile, just the goal was bad.

A little bit. My work gets crazy busy during the holidays. I work fulltime throughout the year, so it's not like my hours were different earlier in the year than they were during Christmas. But they were a lot more draining, so when I get home from work I was just too exhausted to do much for the event. I don't like to use that as an excuse though, as I likely wouldn't have participated more if it was at a different time of year anyways. As for Christmas itself, I spend time with family, but it's less than 2 days of no gaming, so not really a big deal :shrugs: 

I'm in the minority for this one, but I love Clubs a lot! :D The main issue for me is that I've completed most of the Clubs that I want to be in, and the majority of the Clubs available are for obsolete consoles that nobody wants to go and play anymore. The Clubs goal was way too high considering the time it would take to complete the games listed. Someone could complete 30 EZPZ games in the time it would take to complete a single Club game (at least the games that they haven't played already) now. I completed one Club game during the month, and it took me over 20 hours, but it was the "quickest" game I had available that I hadn't already completed.

I bet another month. Even if people only needed the Santa Speed run and Club games, we didn't even reach halfway on either of those goals, so I'd say another month would've been sufficient.

I don't think I used any part of the new forum software throughout the event at all :o Maybe the tagging feature. Oh, and the fact that you get a notification when someone quotes you. That was pretty helpful tbh!

It was a fun event, and I imagine that processing all those submission took lots of time, so nice work taking all that time getting everything sorted!

I think one minor thing that could've helped was more frequent updating on the tiles, or having a post more visible with updates. I know Velvet made a post at the very end of the submission thread detailing what was left, and it would've been nice to see that one the first page. I kept my eyes on that a lot near the end of the event!

Also wished there was a reward for getting a single Bingo line instead of just the Blackout. And maybe tweaking the system so that you only got credit for a Bingo line if you contributed at least one submission to each tile in that Bingo line. :think: 

I always enjoy Bingo events for some reason, no idea why but I find them enjoyable. This one was no different. :) 

• Like 2

Yes, but I also dislike it. I like the idea of community goals, because I can congratulate another player's achievement. The community aspect in the Olympics was a lot better, there wasn't a lot of room to actually 'work together' in this one, there's Santa's Speed Run, but that's got it's own story.

1. Ghosts of Backlog Future - It's very different to the other tasks we've been given in the past and this event. I started multiple games from my library I may not have started otherwise and it's given me something to complete in the future (Spring clean's very much needed!). I don't care for how quickly a game is completed, or how much my profile was decimated if it helps for the event. 
2. Mr. Scrooge's Secret Stash - I was busy on the day sadly, but I loved that the 'dash' from the Olympics made a return.

I saw Mummy Kissing Santa's Clubs - More below.
Santa's Speed Run - I think an error was made here? The description was "Earn a Platinum within 10 seconds of another signup's Platinum", to me that reads if we got 10 of us together and all earned a trophy when the clock struck the hour, that'll be 10 completions. Instead, only one of every two platinums earned counted? The description and submissions weren't the same. I'm sure the idea of this tile would be to get players communicating and surely getting into groups such as ten would achieve that better than working in the same pairs? As a community we'd be setting times throughout the day, it'll require some organisation which builds on that community aspect.
Toys for Tots - Define toy, there could be a toy version of so many different things. 

This year - Not at all. We're in a pandemic, I can't see my friends and family anyway. I actually booked time off work and had more time to contribute.

Three main points:
1. Clubs are outdated. A large overhaul is required.
2. It was too soon after the PST Olympics to roll them back out again.
3. Using clubs in events is a good idea to get clubs recognised more, but clubs need to be fixed before being used in events.
This event targeted completions of club games, which means we're looking at quick completions. There aren't many easy club completions and a lot that are available may have been used up in the PST Olympics.
I find that Clubs are in part of the forum which I and the majority of forum users don't visit. If I found them years ago I may be more into them, but starting this late with clubs having lots of old (often PS3) games it doesn't interest me. I didn't even know that as a subscriber I could create a club.
Clubs aren't a bad thing to have on the site and I think if they were formatted differently I'd enjoy them. 
I've made suggestions earlier in the discussion thread, but the main thing is to keep them fresh. My idea for clubs would be to start with two games and then every 6 months, the club founder is eligible to add a new game to the club. I'd be interested in that, I'd be following the club founder, wondering what will be the next game added. With tagging, it'll be easy to tag everyone after six months. I'd be happy to help with this.

Maybe a week, I imagine we slowed down in the final week or two when we realised it was too much of a reach.

Slightly with the tagging, but we didn't need to communicate with each other a lot in this event. Tagging for the PST Olympics would have been very beneficial.

The amount of trophies required to complete each tile really made us have easy and hard tiles, equaling them may have been better?
Too low:
DLC Completions - We got through these way too quickly. I have a lot of DLC I could use the motivation to complete and put a few games on the list, but it was clear my help was needed elsewhere.
Silver & Gold -
Actually, I didn't like this tile. It was a very easy one and the number requirement was low, but it took a while to create the submission and I'm sure it was the same with processing it. X amount of gold or silver trophies in a row may have cut down on that.
Kills - This one looked really easy from the start. We earned kills easily in the event where we were in groups Aztecs, Norse etc

Colours - We haven't earned colours for a while, if the requirement was a bit higher  there would be more communication about which games have colours to earn.
Food - As above
Too High:
Speed run/Unique Platinums/Perfect Tree - 423 platinums to complete these three was the killer.
Club games - As above.

Overall thank you very much for the event and thank you for all the hard work. I had fun in finding tiles that I could contribute for (20 games for backlog future :rofl:) , the issues I raised above about clubs and the speed run are what i feel ultimately stopped us from achieving the blackout. 

• Like 2

I don't mind the community goals, but parts about lining up times with other members I'm not a fan of

I like the planning and executing for spelling and perfect trees

Santa's Speedrun. Having to line up times with someone, then hoping that neither person's system lags the timestamps was a pain.

Not really. There were a few days I didn't play, but that would have happened in November or January too. If there was no pandemic the answer would likely have been different, either for travelling or having family staying.

Meh, they are mostly a non-entity to me. I have a look at them occasionally, but pretty much every club has at least one game I have no interest in investing time or money in. It is interesting to see what folks put in them though.

Another week or two. People would have gone hard if we were close to the goal

5000ish

Don't know that it made too much difference. The tagging feature and the pinned post was handy though. 

Overall, it was well put together and run. Obviously it is disappointing to not meet the goal, but shit happens. I said it in the discussion thread, and might as well put it on the record here - if we could have stacked perfect tree or Santa's Speedrun (P)s with the unique game completion tiles (not with each other though), I think we would have met the goal with a day or two to spare. Not being able to submit the game completion after getting a perfect tree was a pain and just put the total number of games to be completed as a group out of reach unless more people were willing to fork over $$ for EZPZ spam.

I've also said words to this effect elsewhere, but EZPZ games have absolutely ruined events here. I know the EDs do their best to mitigate their use, but there is only so much that can be done. If this event was held in the PS3 era, the goals would have been lower because almost all (P) games took a several hour commitment, rather than the several minutes today.  I've seen suggestions about disqualifying common trophies, but that cuts out a whole bunch of things from real games. I think a consideration of (P) rarity could work - if a plat is over 80%? 90% on PSNP, then that game doesn't exist in the eyes of the event.

Not so much here; I didn't feel like it was really a community event, more so a load of people all doing their own individual thing and occasionally when necessary getting in touch with someone else and being like "hey, let's do this". The only real time I felt we were working together was on Day 2 or something when we filled in the spreadsheet!

I didn't really have one...maybe unique DLC completions as it encouraged me to finally get Witcher 3 done.

Any of the ones I didn't contribute to :p

Kind of, or at least the time of year. To be brutally honest, I've spent most of this year camped in my apartment with my laptop and my PS4 for company and cleared some pretty long games. Towards the end of November I was already feeling the burnout and I just didn't have the motivation or will to even turn my PS4 on for most of the month as I was pretty sick of gaming, plus when I started getting the urge again towards the end it was Christmas and New Year etc so didn't have the time.

I posted my pretty long opinion in the main thread, so won't go over it. Basically I feel they're pretty obsolete and should be retired. Or at least not wheeled out for events so soon after they've been used.

I dunno, probably never with the defeatist attitude going around!

Nope, didn't notice any difference at all. If anything, it was using Google Docs rather than posting in a submission thread which made the most difference.

Thanks EDs for taking your time to put on this event and process the huge number of submissions. I'm sorry I couldn't contribute more or get more involved like I usually would, but I was just a bit fed up of gaming by the end of the year and I know I'd have had to whore all sorts of games to make a serious dent in stuff. Just wasn't feeling it and wanted to unwind elsewhere. I think there's some truth in what Staytrue said about this feeling more like "PST Checklist" rather than "PST Bingo", but I think that's a natural by-product of it being community based rather than individual. I also think the goals were slightly too high considering the time of the year, especially with the strict rules on trophies not being allowed for other tiles, but I like that it wasn't easy and it's also refreshing for us to fail every now and then like Spring Clean 1, otherwise there's no challenge. Happy New Year you lot! ❤️

I guess I’ll go off script since Slamma said it’s allowed.

As I’ve said previously I’m happy the goals weren’t changed midway like in past events just to make it possible to win.

That being said, some of these were set too high from the start. 

The worst tile was Santa’s Speedrun as it was the only tile you needed to rely on someone else to do. I feel like each pair should have counted for 2 towards the total and if not, it should have been 50 max. 

Also as I said in the other thread, all plats should be able to be stacked between tiles. If you can get a unique game within 10 seconds of someone that’s a perfect sequence, it should count for all 3. Expecting 25 people or so that heavily contribute to do hundreds of plats (even with the crazy spam games existing) was never realistic, unless the even was another month.

Yeah it was pretty swell, better than competitive/team based events imo.

Partridge in a rare tree, for obvious reasons :wow:

Spelling, this is 100% to do with my gaming habits though, I understand why others like it :p

Maybe to a small degree.

I lkke the idea, just think they need to be re-vamped and give those with old clubs the chance to make a new one with more modern games in, but still have the old one available for completion like with staff who created new custom lists too.

A week or 2.

Twice as many as half the amount :roovvv:

Yeah somewhat, the ability to ping.

I know first hand how much time and effort you put in to these events, so keep up the good work.

Yes, although it didn't work as well as the Olympics event, I think it's important to have a mix of solo, team-based and community events to keep things fresh and interesting.

Mr. Scrooge's Secret Stash stands out as like Martz said, it was very reminiscent of the Dash event from the Olympics, and it's awesome to see everyone working together towards a common goal, even if my contribution in this instance was somewhat lacking... :classic_tongue:

Kudos for the creative tile names as well, a nice touch.

I'm not a fan of the earn trophies that contains food/toy/kills in their name or description, in this event and in events prior. I think there should be a lot more leniency when it comes to accepting submissions when the requirements are somewhat vague and open to interpretation depending on the perspective.

With all the shit that's going on in the world currently, not really.

I really like the concept of clubs, but they are badly in need of an update and tweaked in a way that allows club creators to keep their clubs modern.

Probably another week or two.

At least 12, maybe more.

I like the tagging system, but apart from that, I didn't really notice anything else different to be honest.

I can only imagine how hard it is to find the right balance in making achievable yet challenging community orientated goals in events like this, and despite what I'm about to say, I certainly don't think it's a bad thing for the community to fail to complete events once in a while, but as Staytrue alluded to, I'm surprised their wasn't tiered goals for us to achieve (e.g. line completed, then horizontal, vertical and diagonal line completed, then blackout) with a different award given out at the end dependant on which goal was reached. Again, failing the event isn't an issue, but with blackout being the only goal, it then made it a case of all or nothing, and when it became apparent that the goal wasn't achievable, the event lost it's momentum in the last week or so.

Regardless of any nit-picks I may have, a big thank you to the ED's for putting in so much time and effort into putting another event together :respect:

• Like 1

Yes. I love community or team-based events far more than solo events because it encourages working and communicating with other PST members. It's a great way to get to know some of the other members and bring members closer together.

My favourite tile was probably "Platinums Earned on High" because it didn't really matter what I played and I could still contribute to the tile without worrying too much.

All the tiles that I couldn't stack with others. With the crazy number of (P) and other trophies required to complete the whole board, I found it to be pretty unreasonable from the beginning, like a few others have mentioned. I think if we could submit the same trophy for multiple tiles, the blackout would have been more fair to attain. Sure, we did achieve most of the goals, but the extra time used for not being able to stack tiles could have been used toward other tiles that we were super far behind in.

Besides that, my least favourite tile would definitely have to be "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa’s Clubs". I'll touch on that more below, though.

Yes, very much. Pandemic or not, December is always a busy month for me. I could only contribute about half of what I normally would have been able to because I was busy spending time with my family, and I think it was more important than ever this year to have that family time. I've participated in big site events for over 10 years, and personally, summer always seemed to be the best time for me. Smaller events during Christmas time are fine, but bigger events like this are really hard to find time for.

I love the idea of clubs in general as it lets members showcase games that have meaning to them. You learn more about the member's tastes, and they're also a great way to try games you never thought of playing before.

However, I think using them for events should have stopped after the PST Olympics. They've been used in events since House Championships, and that was over 5 years ago. Most of the clubs are very old and contain old games, where most people have either already finished them or have no interest in ever playing. Also, since most of the games in clubs have some kind of meaning to the member who chose them, you're not going to find many quick or easy games that can be completed in an event's time.

All in all, I think clubs should continue to exist, but should stop being used in events unless some changes happen to the way clubs work. If members can create a new club after every few years they've been a subscriber, I think that would help fix the problem.

I can also see an issue like this eventually happening for including custom lists in events. We always get new custom lists, which is nice, but many of the trophies can also be time-consuming to get and many of the games are popular enough that most people have played them already.

I think 2 more weeks would have been enough.

Definitely the tagging system and receiving a notification whenever someone quotes you. Besides those, I didn't really notice anything else.

Thanks for running this event! While there were quite a few issues, it was still fun overall and I'm happy to see that we got as close as we did.

• Like 2

Yes. Completing goals in conjunction with other people was the best part of the event for me.

A tie between Santa's Speed Run and Mr. Scrooge's Secret Stash. Coordinating plats with Morg was fun, as was collectively submitting thousands of trophies in a 24 hour period.

Not so much a particular tile as having multiple tiles requiring unique platinum trophies. More on that at the end.

Definitely. I was visiting my parents from 18 December through 4 January, so wasn't really able to do much starting 18 December unless it was on the Vita.

I didn't even know clubs were a thing until maybe a year ago, and that was just from casually digging through the various forums on the site that I never visited and seeing them from poking around. My first real exposure to them was their use in the Olympics event. They don't really do anything for me, either for or against.

A non-negative number of days.

There must have been tens of submissions.

Possibly?

I do want to thank the EDs for putting together a fun event. I thoroughly enjoyed participating, especially doing my part in getting 5000 trophies in 24 hours.

But.... when the event started, I thought the numbers for each tile looked fine except maybe club games since most of those are longer plats. Then I saw the unique plat requirement on Ghosts of Christmas Past, The Perfect Tree, and Platinums Earned on High and said to myself 'This probably isn't happening". And once I saw that Santa's Speed Run required a total of 160 plats rather than 80 on top of the unique restriction, I was certain we weren't going to finish this. The required numbers for most tiles were fine - toys, currency, kills, etc. But the total number of platinums needed for the event as a whole, because of the unique platinum requirement on multiple tiles, was just over the top. We weren't even close to finishing The Perfect Tree and Santa's Speed Run.

Not really. I've never taken part in a huge event like this before, the largest I've been in was the Olympics. I think that worked better as a community event since I was on a team and I was competing against another team. Plus, only two tiles were really community-based, the 10 second platinums one and (arguably) the multiplayer trophies one. The only other community aspect was trying to navigate unique games/DLCs. I think with mass events like this it can be quite easy to feel left out if there are lots of large goals that a handful of posters put more effort into. That's not a criticism of them and it's still easy to participate more on your own, but it kind of undermines the notion of it being a community event.

The standalone trophy requirement ones like ultra rares, time trials, food, etc. Across each such tile there was a good opportunity for people to earn them from a wide variety of games, plus I was able to get a sense of satisfaction out of doing some really hard time trials for it.

10 second platinums and perfect platinums. As mentioned in the event thread at some time in the month, 10 seconds was not enough time to do this. I know you said you based this on Gallowmere's winning time during the Olympics, but the variance in the four teams' times should have shown that was an exception rather than something that could be achieved 80 times across dozens of different participants. 

The perfect platinum thing was too awkward, too much effort and the number we had to get was too high for me to even try and get any. I'll come to that in a bit more detail later.

I don't have a life anyway so no. I can see how it would though, especially with some tiles requiring co-ordination and even with the world the way it is.

I've been a PST member since 2014. I've posted regularly and tried to participate since around the start of 2019. I still don't really know what Clubs and Lists are, why they exist or what's important about them. The forums for them just have lists of games that seem like they've been compiled by established users - some still active, some not - and it's obvious they're important somehow, but I don't know why any more and the entire set-up of them doesn't seem very inviting. 

I can also only echo the things said earlier - having tiles based on these when lots of people would have gone hard on them during the Olympics seems a bit unfair. Even if that hadn't been the case, the games that are in clubs are there because people have already played them. Any sort of event requiring things to do with clubs and lists are always going to have diminishing returns on how many participants can still play the games.

I understand they're an important part of PST history, but it's hard to see what relevance they have nowadays. I don't think they should be stopped, but there should be better implementation of them in events like this.

The tile we were furthest away from was the 10 second plats. We were under halfway. I don't want to say we'd be over a month away (especially since with other tiles done we could focus on those), but at least a week.

Fuck knows. 8649.

Notifications and instant updates on posts and messages was very useful. Basically the same as discord was during the Olympics, but then it was always going to be difficult keeping track of all the participants.

I'm sure creating, organising and maintaining these things is more work than I can imagine, so thank you. It seemed like during the event there was some defensiveness when people were criticising the targets. People (I imagine) enjoy these events because they want to compete and want to finish them, so people being upset at targets that felt unrealistic shouldn't really have been surprising.

On the subject of the targets, let me do some calculations...

There are 74 people listed as participants in the event. If all of those people put in an equal amount of work it would have meant, on average per person:

- At least 1 PSN 100% nobody else finished (100 total)

- At least 1 DLC list nobody else finished (100 total)

- At least 1 other platinum for 10 second plats (80 total)

- 2 games that can be used for other tiles, but that have to be in clubs (140 total)

- At least 2 games that are started and unfinished but still at least 30% of the way finished (200 total)

- At least 1 perfect platinum which they can't use for another tile (123 total)

- At least 1 platinum from a PS3 or Vita game that can't be used for another tile (100 total)

- 1 PS5 platinum (this was especially egregious given how recently the PS5 was released imo)

That's what, 9 or 10 games each person has to finish? I know the different misc trophies could come from those games too, but it's not every game that has hidden trophies or ultra rares, food, etc. So on individual trophies...

- At least 9 hidden trophies each

- 2/3 multiplayer trophies each

- At least 6 silver/gold trophies each

- At least 2 trophies with toys somewhere in them

- 2 ultra rares

(I've just realised there were at least 80 participants, given the free space tile. My numbers still should be relatively close, though)

- At least 27 trophies on a single day that can't be used for any other tiles

- 2 time trial trophies

- At least 3 trophies for kills

- At least 2 trophies for colours

- At least 2 trophies for food

- At least 2 trophies for money

- At least 2 trophies for collectibles

- At least 2 trophies from unobtainable games

Now, I don't know if you can bring up an individual participant's submissions by tiles, but I know I put in for a lot of them. Off the top of my head I had a 10 second plat, a few unfinished between 30-60, lots of hidden, some silver/gold, some time trials, kills, money and unobtainables. I know not everyone will put in an equal amount of work, and even ideally not everyone has to. I don't know what went into the calculations for these totals, but they seemed very high in some cases and unnecessarily obtuse in others. 

Edited by stpatty
  • Like 2

After spending all year (until the end of October but still) competing in Completathon, and after giving a considerable amount of time to the Olympics event in August, I had decided I would not commit to participate in this event. I listed myself as a maybe on our new nifty calendar. I did end up participating much more than I planned to but I feel it is important to mention my feedback is based on my semi-casual participation:

Did you like the community aspect? Community events are always enjoyable and to round out this stinky year by coming together was a nice way to finish it off. I do think the objectives combined with the community aspect happening this soon after the Olympics caused a bit of deja vu and perhaps meant less games were available to use for the club tile or the custom list. I also know it is very rare to get all participants to put in an equal amount of work so the inability to reach full blackout was not surprising no matter the requirements. I appreciate the fact that it was community based and would not have even bothered putting any work in if it was competitive.

What was your favorite tile? I found I could contribute most with non-platinum games (A Charlie Brown Christmas Tree), PS3 and Vita plats (Ghosts of Christmas Past) and Mr. Scrooge's Secret Stash (fun to go crazy for 24 hours much like the daily two hours during the Olympics or THL). Santa's Speedrun was easy to participate in (thanks @Robinworldwide for hooking up for an easy set of tandem plats!) and I would have focused on it for more of the month if I knew it wouldn't be completed in time. I think a tandem platinum pop was a great idea for a community event and even 80 done through the month was possible, just difficult to focus on with all the other tiles, maybe it should have been set to forty doubles instead, something we came close to I believe (hindsight being 20/20) I did play quite a few club games for I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa's Club and I love the promotion of clubs and custom lists but I would not list it as a favorite as I had to scrape the barrel with regional stacks/PS4 stacks I somehow didn't play already to get a few of them done and would have felt totally different about it if it was based on trophies from club games instead of full game completions as there are only a handful that can be done while also trying to meet other goals (wasn't my least favorite tile though) 

What was your least favorite tile? I LOVE including Custom Lists into events and I loved the idea of completing a list together. I discovered both in the Olympics and here in this event that my history with custom lists is too broad. I have played too many games already and it is very hard to participate on this tile, especially on Tuff's list as I have already completed 32 of the games. This is not my least favorite, just the one I felt I couldn't be of any help on. Keep incorporating custom lists in events (and those staff who need to still finish theirs off...DO IT!)

One of my least favorite tiles was The Perfect Tree. Perfect sequence is a fun thing to manage, but the amount required in a community event was doomed to fail.

Also, how hard is it folks - when you have a choice of 25 staff to spell out - how do you NOT pick the name with the most common letters in trophies like, I don't know...P or E or N or Y or S or T or I or C or K (not my least favorite, just sad no one spelled my name 😭 )

Did this event occurring during Christmas affect your ability to contribute? Not any more than any other month long event. 

How much do you love Clubs? I mean, you know how much I love Subscriber Clubs and MotM clubs. As a big proponent of subscriber benefits and the ability to make a fun collection of your favorite games for people to play was such a gift of contributing to this site monetarily. I was always baffled as why there was a long list of subscribers who never made their clubs. I have personally completed many (I think 20?) clubs because I love to set goals and play games that serve a purpose above just entertainment. Unfortunately most of the clubs were made while PS3 and Vita games were both still widely used and played, many of the club games have longer run times than could be interjected during this event that are accessible to play on the PS4. There were still a good handful of games that could be used but it just wasn't enough to get this tile completed 100% 

I wish I could offer advice on how to revitalize the clubs (I have two clubs that very few people have bothered to complete) but I have always loved this site for its custom lists, clubs and other events and would like to see clubs stick around in some capacity.

How much more time do you reckon would be needed to get the full Blackout? I agree with much of the input provided above - 2 more weeks would have possibly been enough to finish up those last five tiles.

How many submissions do you think were made? Looks like about 3,900 submissions for tiles, plus the submissions of over 5000 trophies ... so over 4,000

Do you feel like the event benefited from the new forum software in any way? The community made sheet post that was pinned to each discussion page and the other pinned posts were very helpful. As we all adjust to the new site, being able to tag users when they make a submission that needed to be corrected or simply getting someone's attention is streamlined on the new site.

Anything else you'd like to politely say to your ED crew regarding the event? I applaud the EDs for getting one more event stuffed into 2020 and directly following the site transition into the new format. It is great to have a community event rally the site into a more positive outlook in 2021 and inspire participation while there are currently no site awards (pending, I believe) You guys always make this site thrive and I appreciate the work you all put in for each of these events. Thank you for creating this and maintaining it throughout the month. 🤩 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pennysticks said:

I do think the objectives combined with the community aspect happening this soon after the Olympics caused a bit of deja vu and perhaps meant less games were available to use for the club tile or the custom list.

spacer.png

Fuck yes!! Tick this one off Kriddles’ Bingo! @Velvet

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was OK. My favourite events are ones where everyone is working towards the same goal individually, followed by large-scale community event such as this one, followed by anything competitive that pits us against one another.

What was your favourite tile?

I thought the majority of tiles were great, a few highlights:

Santa's Speed Run - I like co-ordinating stuff like this. I was surprised at the lack of effort on this one, I feel like the fact that a pair counted as 1 point put a lot of people off.

He's Making a List - Was fun to pick a list and work through it, custom lists are something I've always wanted to work on but never had time, so it felt nice to contribute 20% of a list and get this done.

Ghosts of Backlog Future - Unique and will be beneficial in future should a Spring Clean-esque event show up again (it should).

Mr. Scrooge's Secret Stash - Had a lot of fun with the Dash in the Olympics and a new fresh twist was interesting.

The Perfect Tree - Again I am a sucker for planning, things like this and spelling I am in my element.

The Naughty List - See above, although I didn't get to do any because everyone else got there so fast!

What was your least favourite tile? 

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa’s Clubs - Deal breaker this one. The goal was too high for both the state the clubs are currently in, and the fact they were used in the same way during the Olympics.

A Partridge in a Rare Tree - I am a person who views UR trophies as either requiring a large time investment, or the rest of the game was so shite that those trophies have inflated rarity. Neither of which appeal to me in the slightest.

Holiday Shopping - Of all the misc tiles like this one, I always seem to have trouble with currency, I don't know why 🤣

Ghosts of Christmas Past - Again not the tile so much as the goal. A lot of older games for the first full month after PS5 was released.

There's another tile I didn't like but I don't fancy an infraction.

At the beginning, not really. I've been fortunate enough that my schedule has remained fairly normal over the year, so I was at work and gaming late at night like usual. However the last week or so, yes it did. I was off work and the kids were off school, and I wanted to spend time with them over the break.

The relevance of clubs has been proportional to the popularity of this site as far as I can see. If we are to keep them around then they do need a revamp, I would probably move closer to the custom list model - introducing "DLC games". I'd suggest:

- Not scrapping them all, instead ask everyone who already has a club (and is eligible for one) to make a new one. Make them 5 games only, I can't see a reason to allow 4 games. Allow all peripherals, consoles, whatever.

- Every 6 months? 12 months? Allow the addition of one more game. You still need only 5 games to complete the club, though, like some of the custom lists which have 37 trophies or more, still only requiring 30 trophies for credit for completing the list. That way if there is one game blocking completion of the club (for example, The Last of Us for myself), now there's another way.

And that's the basis of it, in a nutshell. It would require everyone to pull together to change the way they are now.

Maybe 2 weeks. Not a QTE if that's what you're thinking 😝

Tagging was a nice new benefit. I'm guessing the new forum software was detrimental too though for the EDs due to not being able to edit other posts than your own.

As always, thanks for running these events for us. Events are my main motivation to trophy hunt these days!

For what it's worth I had no problem understanding the rules, I just feel like they are made more ambiguous as the event goes on when people start tossing out random questions. And I know I might have been part of it with the whole "rock is a food" thing but I honestly feel if there was a Brit on the EDs what wouldn't have been a debate at all. I know it isn't possible to have every country represented in every aspect of the staff too though!

• Like 1

Always, it's what we are about here at PST, so community events are always welcome. Using Discord as well as the site and it's new features allowed for a more 'closer' together feel when being able to plan and discuss how to tackle some of the tiles.

The ones I helped on haha. Given I was smashing trophies out for fun last year, i'd say the 'Mr Scrooge's Secret Stash' as it was good to just spam trophies! 'Mele Kalikimaka' gets a shout, coz COLOURS!!

'Your'e A Mean On Mr.Grinch' - I'm no completionist, but there wasn't any chance of me adding unobtainable plats/100% to my profile.

Er, 50/50, I mean apart from work/family which is standard throughout the year, only a few times I was unavailable to help, but towards the end, i'll be honest, my interest dipped as I was busy with rl stuff and knowing the event was out of reach, I just kind of switched off.

Loads, I haven't been clubbing in ages and Covid is really letting me down! 👎 #bastard

Pffff, er I'd say another 2 weeks? I think if we'd have got there, as with some of these events from a community pov, you do kind of hope or assume someone else will do the donkey work with areas you may not want to venture into (the Mr Grinch tile) as an example.

Crikey, er around 6,500? I have no idea?

Yes, @ping is a great little feature, plus just using the new site as a whole and more so for a new event was great.

As always guys, huge thanks for your efforts with the organising and running of this and other events you throw at us. Given how many we've had over the years, it's impressive to see you churn out different ideas, even if with this we have done a 'Bingo' event prior, but yet you mixed it up well. It's only annoying on our part as we failed it haha.

I do enjoy the events you throw at us regardless and even if in my head I feel I may not be able to fully contribute or think I won't do all that well, I love being a part of them. 

"However: where did Bingo come into this event? With it being a full-house (blackout) only that meant the Bingo element was completely redundant. You could have just dressed this up as Santa's List and it would have been exactly the same. A possibility could have been to re-word the tiles, and then have the target to be complete X amount of lines as a community, and a nice bonus for every full-house completed. The beauty of the bingo boards has always been allowing to people choose which line(s) suits them best, and then if they want to attempt a blackout."

I'll back up @staytrue1985 here as we discussed this offsite and felt it was missing a little regarding the Bingo element. Listen, this event was great and enjoyed by the majority who took part. It was frustrating to miss out and i'm not sure how many who signed up didnt participate, but maybe with extra members on board and a slight tweak with the above mentioned, we may have been successful.

You canny win them all, so we'll see how we all do in THL '21?? 💘

Edited by Ashbo
Sosig

In general yes I like the idea of working together as a community with various different goals so there's something for everyone. What I don't like about it though is that I think in nearly every event I've taken part in (I've been regularly taking part in events since THL 5) there is always a handful of people that sign up that end up not taking part. In general thats fine stuff comes up & shit happens, not hating on people for doing it, but I do think it should be taken into account when setting the goals as all it does is put an extra burden on those that are taking part & effectively puts the community behind right from the start of the event. This is highlighted by the free hit square in this event, if only 70 odd people effectively said yeah they would definitely take part how could the objective be set as greater than this number? I know we ended up completing that square but it was an easy one that just required any trophy to be submitted. But it raises the question if that is the yard stick that the goal for all other tiles is measured, then all the goals were based off of 80 plus participants which was unrealistic & I think we actually did better than we should despite being unsuccessful in the end.

Making a list - Similar to above I liked the community aspect of it, coming together to complete a custom list.

Santas Speedrun - I don't think there's anything wrong with the 10s timeframe it's challenging but achievable. The problem was that it was counted as 1 pair meaning that only 1 participant got credit towards it despite doing equal work & also meant that with the goal being 80 (see above) then every participant had to do it twice which was unrealistic. It should have either been 40 pairs or 80 if both participants could have submitted. If this was the case I would expect that this tile would have been completed on time as we would have been close so extra effort would have been put in.

IMO Christmas is a time to enjoy with your family so I was never going to contribute much in the last week. The first 3 weeks was fine though & didn't make any difference. So maybe future Xmas events could end on Xmas day. I can appreciate that this will be different for others who are maybe busier than normal during the run-up but could have potentially had more time after the day etc.

I'll be blunt with this one - I think clubs are one of the biggest wastes of time on the site & that's despite me having created my own. Yes it's a way for users to pull together some games that mean something to them, but with them not having a corresponding site award it devalues the entire concept. For many site awards are similar to trophies & members want to collect as many as possible so are a reason to come back to the site, contribute & are another goal to achieve.

Difficult question. It appeared all momentum had been lost coming towards the end. Not sure if this was defeatist attitude as it became apparent we weren't going to succeed or if it was the Xmas factor as mentioned above. If it wasn't the morale thing then possible 2 weeks, if it was morale we'd probably still be going.

Not enough :p

I liked how tagging was used for pings on rejections etc. & also pinning for the link to the spreadsheet. Can't really think of any other features that were used other than the calendar to sign up (which I missed). 

I'm surprised no one else has mentioned this so it's maybe just me, but I found it difficult to know where to look for the definitive "scorecard/leaderboard". There were messages being posted in the thread that goals/tiles were complete but the numbers weren't being updated in the submission thread to reflect this. The spreadsheet was being updated but everyone had access to update it so it was only being used as a rough guide. Then there's also the discord element, I don't use discord daily so not sure how much about the event was discussed in there or if there were updates being posted. But in general I'm surprised how much discord channel is used when it's essentially been created as a tool to assist in an event but is ultimately taking traffic away from the site it was created for.

Apologies if this looks like a gripe fest it wasn't all that bad. I can appreciate how difficult a task it must be to set relevant, challenging goals which try to nullify the ability just to throw a bunch of EZPZ's at an event which is finished in no time at all & make it look simple. Maybe as has been suggested taking into account the platinum completion percentage could be a way to negate their use.

As usual thanks to the ED's for running the events after all you don't owe the members anything, you're not paid by the site and give up your own time to make these possible so only deserve praise & thanks for that. Much respect.

• Sellers unpinned and locked this topic