Jump to content

 

Is this site just a massive ad gathering now?


jefxfree
 Share

Recommended Posts

The ads on this site are so intrusive. They're on the top, on the bottom, on the side, they pop up in my face, and they adjust sizes to force me to accidentally click them.

 

I get you need money, but geesh, this site is being driven into the ground with all these ads.

 

I applaud the 2.0 effort, but certainly there's a middle ground somewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, jefxfree said:

The ads on this site are so intrusive. They're on the top, on the bottom, on the side, they pop up in my face, and they adjust sizes to force me to accidentally click them.

 

I get you need money, but geesh, this site is being driven into the ground with all these ads.

 

I applaud the 2.0 effort, but certainly there's a middle ground somewhere.

We only have so much control over the ads themselves. Unfortunately a lot of them behave differently on mobile than they do on desktop, and we're trying to get rid of the more predatory ones. It isn't the intention of anyone on this site to have you be inundated by ads, or have your experience affected by intrusive ads. Thanks for the feedback, and I'll pass it along to he people in charge of contacting the various ad partners.

 

EDIT: It would probably help to know which ads specifically are resizing or "popping up in your face". The designated ad spaces on the site won't change, but they should be easy enough to ignore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the reply Mendel.

I mostly view on the PC.  

 

I've linked an image of what I often see.  The ad that can be dismissed is often replaced by another similar ad almost immediately after closing one.  It's not 100% of the time, but at least more often than not.

 

https://imgur.com/a/VAvihap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jefxfree said:

Thanks for the reply Mendel.

I mostly view on the PC.  

 

I've linked an image of what I often see.  The ad that can be dismissed is often replaced by another similar ad almost immediately after closing one.  It's not 100% of the time, but at least more often than not.

 

https://imgur.com/a/VAvihap

I've passed the image along, I'll see if anything can be done about ads like that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

That would make sense if we were paying $$ to be a member, but we're not.

 

I was actually going to start a thread on this, so I'm glad someone else did.  I use Chrome on a Mac to view this site, and I agree....the ads seem to be a bit worse than they were before.  I've had a Cyberpunk ad cover my entire screen just a few minutes ago and then another one for Shopify.  That never happened to me before the update.

 

Controversial opinion, but I'd actually be in favor of a small subscription fee per month to remove ads, especially if we can continue to develop the community here.  I'm actually thinking about moving to other playstation sites as a primary source of information for trophies and guides if the ads continue in this fashion.

Edited by Timmah200
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Timmah200 said:

 

 

That would make sense if we were paying $$ to be a member, but we're not.

 

I was actually going to start a thread on this, so I'm glad someone else did.  I use Chrome on a Mac to view this site, and I agree....the ads seem to be a bit worse than they were before.  I've had a Cyberpunk ad cover my entire screen just a few minutes ago and then another one for Shopify.  That never happened to me before the update.

 

Controversial opinion, but I'd actually be in favor of a small subscription fee per month to remove ads, especially if we can continue to develop the community here.  I'm actually thinking about moving to other playstation sites as a primary source of information for trophies and guides if the ads continue in this fashion.

 

The ads shouldn't be intrusive like that - as long as you report them, we can look into getting them removed (I know, you shouldn't have to report them, but ads in general are fickle sobs and don't like to play nice sometimes). Subscriptions are on hold currently, but I do believe they will be making a return down the road once we get some other things sorted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As an update, the ads are only supposed to expand like in @jefxfree's example when your screen resolution is big enough and there's enough free space on the site so that it isn't covering or blocking anything. If the ads are covering what you're trying to click, that likely means something isn't loading that's supposed to, giving the ad the impression it has more free space than it does. It's something we're looking into and hopefully won't continue to be an issue.

 

As Velvet said, previously we offered a subscription perk that would hide ads, and that's something we'll offer again in future, but we wanted to get the site fully updated and operational before we started asking people for money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
  • Create New...