The new Guide Loader is Live

Mendel

We've kind of had a soft launch of the new guide loading system over the past several weeks, but for those of you interested in trying it out or writing a guide, we're officially making it public to everyone.

If you aren't already aware, all of the site's guides will be available on the front page going forward, instead of the previous division between a forum guide and a front page guide. To write a new guide for the site, head to any game page on the front page (use the blue search bar at the top on desktop or the search bar hidden in the top left menu on mobile). From there, change the URL to end in /add-guide.

We'll use whatever this game is as an example:

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/clash-cup-turbo/overview/ (This is the game's overview page.)

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/game/clash-cup-turbo/add-guide/ (This is the page you use to create a new guide.)

You'll notice that the Road Map has a template that you're welcome to use, and you can still create and use banners and headers throughout the Road Map (in fact we encourage the use of a banner, as there's no other place in the guide to include the author's name right now).

In both the Guide and Road Map sections, you can create a link to an individual trophy by typing @, which will bring up a list of the game's trophies. Click on one to add a link. You can also click on any of the controller or trophy smileys on the right side to add them to the guide or road map.

The guides have embed buttons for videos and images, and tables are available to use as well. @Terminator is hard at work on a new Guide and Road Map Walkthrough which will go further into detail, but I just wanted to give everyone enough info to get started here. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and either I or a member of the Guide Team will be happy to help you.

• Like 1

Thank you for the heads up, I'll finish what I'm doing then tweak the updated threads and get them posted in our Staff Room, ready for final approval before they're moved over and the old ones terminated with extreme prejudice :). As an FYI to the GT, we're getting a new handbook as well which is very nearly done and just needs some minor tweaks making to it :). @Mendel BTW, is there an ETA on when the Spoiler Tag Button will be added to the Guide Loader and the Awards system reactivated?

Edited by Terminator
Update.

Very nice and clean...looks like it'll be much simpler than editing a bunch of BBCode like the old site.

But question...how is editing our guides working in the future? Do we still need to contact the Guide Team first or as Authors will we have an edit button of sorts? And with that, what about editing old guides on the main site (one's that have been here since before the update), is that still based on editing the guide in its respective forum then contacting the GT?

For example...my Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 guide on the main site doesn't have my Banner on it. So if I wanted to add that...how would I do that? OR would you encourage me redoing my guides but with the new loader....or will that complicate things? 

44 minutes ago, Viper said:

Very nice and clean...looks like it'll be much simpler than editing a bunch of BBCode like the old site.

But question...how is editing our guides working in the future? Do we still need to contact the Guide Team first or as Authors will we have an edit button of sorts? And with that, what about editing old guides on the main site (one's that have been here since before the update), is that still based on editing the guide in its respective forum then contacting the GT?

For example...my Dragon Ball: Xenoverse 2 guide on the main site doesn't have my Banner on it. So if I wanted to add that...how would I do that? OR would you encourage me redoing my guides but with the new loader....or will that complicate things? 

So as you probably noticed (this should have been something I mentioned initially) there are two buttons on the right side, a draft button and a submit to staff button. You can create a draft and update it as much as you want, and only you will be able to see it. Once you submit it to staff, like the button suggests, it enters a Guide Team queue. You'll still have access to what you wrote, and at any time you can continue to edit it, but you need to remember to submit it to staff again when you're done making changes.

What if multiple people want to write a guide for the same game at the same time?

Will their stuff show up in your guide writeups or is the guide writing section exclusive to each individual user?

EDIT: Also for guides being loaded into the main page, will their be a link to the guide in the respective forum for said games? Otherwise it would be a huge hassle to have to go to the forum to see if there's a thread for a specific issue, then having to go into the main site and scroll around to find the game you're looking for?

Edited by Jerry Appleby

3 minutes ago, Jerry Appleby said:

What if multiple people want to write a guide for the same game at the same time?

Will their stuff show up in your guide writeups or is the guide writing section exclusive to each individual user??

If you're asking about co-oping a guide, we'll eventually have the option of inviting someone to work on a guide with you. For now, that isn't an option. If you're talking about competing guides, we should get copies of both, and then the GT will accept one and reject the other.

Just now, Mendel said:

If you're asking about co-oping a guide, we'll eventually have the option of inviting someone to work on a guide with you. For now, that isn't an option. If you're talking about competing guides, we should get copies of both, and then the GT will accept one and reject the other.

It was more of the latter. Thanks, this makes sense :) 

I've loaded up the guide tool and had a mess about - looks pretty good. The trophy callout function is really cool.

On 12/15/2020 at 11:31 AM, Mendel said:

To write a new guide for the site, head to any game page on the front page (use the blue search bar at the top on desktop or the search bar hidden in the top left menu on mobile). From there, change the URL to end in /add-guide.

Apologies if this falls in the 'we are going to, but it's down the list' category, but if there is no guide on the site for a particular game why not change the greyed out guide icon in the game info to a "write a guide!" box? You could have a gatekeeping "I've read Terminator's handy how-to" checkbox on the way to the guide loader to remove plausible deniability on what is required of a guide.

• Like 2

Managed to submit my first guide using the new system (Note: it's not my first guide overall), and it's been quite a blast so far! :)

Now writing my second guide on this system, and I will hopefully start my third one soon.

Edited by MikelAL93

First off, really like the new setup. It's much easier to write a guide now. In fact it's so much better now that I hope it encourages more people to get involved and write a guide or two. Thanks for the hard work in getting this up and running ♥️

I'm currently writing my first guide using the new system which is for Ride 4 and this game also has a lot of DLC packs. I've noticed that the DLC trophies are included in the main template. It took me a while to notice because they aren't clearly separated from the base game trophies. Unless I'm missing something then this has the potential to be very confusing for people who are only interested in doing the guide for the base game, especially in games which have a lot of DLC. Just thought I would mention it in case I'm stupid and I am doing something wrong.

Anyhow with that in mind, if I only wanted to submit a guide for a base game (generally speaking for future reference), do I just leave all of the DLC trophy descriptions blank? Is that okay?

Also Ride 4 is scheduled to receive new DLC packs all the way into late 2021. Can DLC guides be easily updated in instances like this? Like can I just edit my guide to add in info for new DLC trophies as they drop?

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

First off, really like the new setup. It's much easier to write a guide now. In fact it's so much better now that I hope it encourages more people to get involved and write a guide or two. Thanks for the hard work in getting this up and running ♥️

I'm currently writing my first guide using the new system which is for Ride 4 and this game also has a lot of DLC packs. I've noticed that the DLC trophies are included in the main template. It took me a while to notice because they aren't clearly separated from the base game trophies. Unless I'm missing something then this has the potential to be very confusing for people who are only interested in doing the guide for the base game, especially in games which have a lot of DLC. Just thought I would mention it in case I'm stupid and I am doing something wrong.

Anyhow with that in mind, if I only wanted to submit a guide for a base game (generally speaking for future reference), do I just leave all of the DLC trophy descriptions blank? Is that okay?

Also Ride 4 is scheduled to receive new DLC packs all the way into late 2021. Can DLC guides be easily updated in instances like this? Like can I just edit my guide to add in info for new DLC trophies as they drop?

Separate DLC Guides aren't possible right now, because the Guide Loader doesn't support them and we have no ability to even add new DLCs due to the Trophy list Loader not being fully ready :(. Until the system is fully ready, you will have to stick to just doing a Guide for the main game. I've made a note about this in the updated Handbook so no-one else will be caught out, once it goes live in the near future :).

Edited by Terminator
Update.
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Terminator said:

Separate DLC Guides aren't possible right now, because the Guide Loader doesn't support them and we have no ability to even add new DLCs due to the Trophy list Loader not being fully ready :(. Until the system is fully ready, you will have to stick to just doing a Guide for the main game. I've made a note about this in the updated Handbook so no-one else will be caught out, once it goes live in the near future :).

No worries T, thanks for the help mate. I'll just stick to the main game for the moment and get to work on the DLC when everything is properly up and running. Great work so far though, it's greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1

Got myself another guide done with the new system!

Will there eventually be an option for guide writers to update their guides after approval? Figure I'd ask to make sure since I plan to update my guides from the previous incarnation of the site with the new system, as well as my guides that were written in the new site. :)

13 hours ago, MikelAL93 said:

Got myself another guide done with the new system!

Will there eventually be an option for guide writers to update their guides after approval? Figure I'd ask to make sure since I plan to update my guides from the previous incarnation of the site with the new system, as well as my guides that were written in the new site. :)

Yes there will be :). Talking of which, I need to make that crystal clear in the updated Handbook and Updates thread.

46 minutes ago, ShadowAFC said:

I didn't expect to write a guide again, but I've created a guide for a very basic game.

I noticed maybe 5-10 typos before submitting. Sorry for any I missed 🤣

Thank you and no problem :).

Just about done completing my guide, waiting for some dude to finish making graphics for me (I suck at those). I really like what you guys have done, although here's a minor complaint: dunno if it's a problem exclusive to the japanese trophy lists, but they show up in no particular order (when you use the @ listing)

Aside from that, it's fantastic! oh, and would be great to have a preview mode, but I assume thats coming :)

Edited by Hateandhatred

1 hour ago, Terminator said:

Yes there will be :). Talking of which, I need to make that crystal clear in the updated Handbook and Updates thread.

Thank you and no problem :).

I've resubmitted using the '@' to tag the trophies I'm referring to. I hope that just updates it in your queue instead of adding a duplicate?

3 hours ago, Hateandhatred said:

Just about done completing my guide, waiting for some dude to finish making graphics for me (I suck at those). I really like what you guys have done, although here's a minor complaint: dunno if it's a problem exclusive to the japanese trophy lists, but they show up in no particular order (when you use the @ listing)

Aside from that, it's fantastic! oh, and would be great to have a preview mode, but I assume thats coming :)

The ordering is random for all lists for some reason :think:.

2 hours ago, ShadowAFC said:

I've resubmitted using the '@' to tag the trophies I'm referring to. I hope that just updates it in your queue instead of adding a duplicate?

It just updates the original so no duplicates :).

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Barra333 said:

Is there a way you can make the content of the guide drafts autosave like forum posts do? I just lost a bunch of text because I accidently clicked a link that took me off the site. Returned immediately and the content is gone.

It's all manual at the moment I'm afraid so don't forget to press the "Save" button like it's going out of fashion :(.

Edited by Terminator
Update.