Can't get internet on PS3

Loftus

Hi All,

I recently went to fire up my PS3 for the first time in a few months and couldn't connect to the internet. I realised i had since changed router, so i entered my new details like i have done for all other devices and i just can't get the damn thing to work. It finds the IP address, but during the test the internet connection always times out. I'm confident the password is correct (you get a different error if it's wrong) and i've tried both wireless and wired connections to no avail. 

The new router is vodafone, and it was a straight upgrade from their older router. I've had no problem connecting any other devices. I've tried going through some manual settings but online information is scarce and conflicting, considering both PS4 and PS5 are out now so i dont expect many people are even attempting to play PS3s let alone having issues with them. 

I no longer have the old router, so i can't set that up to see if the internet still works okay with it. Has anyone else had a similar issue or could provide some advice/guides for troubleshooting this please? I've got a bunch of PS3 games i'd still like to play and i'll be gutted if there's no way for me to do so with the current router we have.

Thanks in advance :)

• Like 2

Yeah man there's definitely something going on with internet connection and ps3s lately, I've heard multiple people having problems and even I myself had them. What I did to fix my ps3 not being able to connect to the internet, was restarting my router and my ps3 (i know it sounds like a very basic fix but that's all it took for me to fix itself). This happened a few days ago.

• Like 2

Have you checked for Firmware Updates? I ask, because I've just booted up my PS3 for the first time in heaven only knows how long but had to download the 4.87 update before being allowed to connect to PSN. Also, try ensuring your Daylight Savings setting is correct, because that can cause connection issues in some cases as well.

Edited by Terminator
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Panikooooos said:

Yeah man there's definitely something going on with internet connection and ps3s lately, I've heard multiple people having problems and even I myself had them. What I did to fix my ps3 not being able to connect to the internet, was restarting my router and my ps3 (i know it sounds like a very basic fix but that's all it took for me to fix itself). This happened a few days ago.

Thanks for responding :)

I've restarted my internet/router/ps3 a few times without any luck unfortunately. The fact you and some people you know have had issues makes me wonder though. If i can't find any other solution in the meantime, i'll try to restart both every day or two and see if it manages to connect.

1 hour ago, Terminator said:

H ave you checked for Firmware Updates? I ask, because I've booted up my PS3 for the first time in heaven only knows how long but had to download the 4.87 update before being allowed to connect to PSN. Also, try ensuring your Daylight Savings setting is correct, because that can cause connection issues in some cases as well.

Hey Terminator,

I did wonder about firmware, although my issue doesn't actually allow me to connect to the internet full stop so i can't actually get to the PSN connection stage. When i perform an internet test it finds the IP address and then times out on the internet connection part every time. It's so infuriating because the error message is generic and so i can't even really follow it up :rant:

I'll try the daylight savings settings and also see if i need a firmware update, perhaps i can download it to my pc and perform the update via usb. 

If anyone else has any further suggestions or thoughts please let me know :)

Okay so an update!

I didn't have a chance to update the firmware via usb the last few days as i've been quite busy. I fired up the PS3 again today just to see if anything had  changed and it worked straight away! Both wired and wireless seem fine. I didn't update the firmware to achieve that, so it must have just been having some issues for whatever reason. I've updated the firmware now and was able to get on PSN and play without issues. No clue what originally caused it but really glad to have it working again and happy to see that my whole library of games haven't become invalidated over night 😂

Thanks to all who offered opinions/advice :)

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Oh, what a problem. I had the same with my PS4. I bought it, and when I wanted to play it, it showed me that I didn't have an internet connection. I was sure there was a problem in Ps, I thought I already had to change it, but it wasn't. I also tried to connect from the phone and computer, and it showed me the same thing. I was panicking, and I didn't understand what was happening. I talked to my friends, and they calmed me down, and they told me that it was normal. There are many reasons why there are such errors. They recommended I browse https://www.softwaretesttips.com/no-internet-connection/ and try the solutions proposed by them. And yes, it worked. There was a problem with the modem.

Edited by Chananain

• 11 months later...

Since PS3 has not been supported by developers for a long time, there may be problems with the Internet connection, which is normal. It's definitely not about because of the router or the Internet speed. I also decided to try to play Last of Us Online on PS3 the other day, and there was no internet connection. Although all other equipment worked without problems when connected to my router. I thought the Internet speed was insufficient, and I even delved into the theory and read about mbps and mhz on difference-between.net. A few days later, I decided to log into my PS3 account, which I did without any problems.

Edited by LostMyMind1