Is your PS4 going to retire after getting PS5?

T H A B I T

No way. I still play PS3 and still have quite a few games to play for it. I have physical and digital and I haven't given up yet on past gen systems. I mean, those trophies are a big incentive! I'm not even remotely in the market for a PS5. I need more than a handful of games and a bunch of upgraded PS4 games to even consider buying one.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that I have a PS5 I can answer this question for sure...unfortunately no, and it's only because of one minor setback on the PS5 for me. No media player!

I have a 4TB External HDD with a bunch of movies on it. I always used the PS4's media player for this. Now while the Media Gallery can play movies, so many of them just don't work, the whole codec system is extremely bare bones. I was really hoping the PS5 would flesh out the media player MORE (playing x265 files so I can get 4K movies) not get rid of it...again. 

So because of this, I have to keep my PS4 out until Sony hopefully gives us a proper media player one day. I won't be playing games on it though, the PS5 does that well enough. 

47 minutes ago, Mendel said:

My PS4 had to retire, I can't turn the thing on without it sounding like it's going to start smashing atoms together, even if I'm not playing anything.

Have you tried cleaning it out? I need to do that with mine, it’s starting to get a bit noisy and I’m certain it’s rather dirty inside the shell

1 minute ago, Slamma said:

Have you tried cleaning it out? I need to do that with mine, it’s starting to get a bit noisy and I’m certain it’s rather dirty inside the shell

I opened it and cleaned the most obvious stuff, I was watching a video and I guess you can open it up further and clean more of it but I couldn't be bothered. I'm sure if you're willing to completely hollow the thing out you could get it running whisper quiet.

58 minutes ago, Mendel said:

I opened it and cleaned the most obvious stuff, I was watching a video and I guess you can open it up further and clean more of it but I couldn't be bothered. I'm sure if you're willing to completely hollow the thing out you could get it running whisper quiet.

Do you have the PS4 Pro? I've heard stories of people replacing the thermal paste to make it quieter.

3 minutes ago, Ryukori said:

Do you have the PS4 Pro? I've heard stories of people replacing the thermal paste to make it quieter.

PS4 classic. It got so bad I had to play certain games with headphones just so I could hear dialogue over the fan, and I'm still using a PS3 as a DVD player in the bedroom. I guess I have nothing left to lose, I might as well rip it apart and see if I can make it any better.

• 7 months later...

I was finally able to get my hands on a disc version PS5!  All I've done with it so far is login and get it all setup, I still have a pretty massive PS4 backlog that I want to get through before switching over full time, but I still need to upgrade my TV so I've got some time at least while I wait for a good sale on a 4K UHD QLED.

Between my partner and I (Sony wise), we have 3 PS3's, 2 PS4's and now a PS5.  Funny enough they're all different models too!

She wants a PS5 as well so I'm still keeping an eye out for another one.  Eventually they'll probably get retired, but pretty likely that it won't be right away.

Still what I said back in July...PS4 Pro can't be retired yet because I need it's Media Player. I've since deleted all of my games off of it because, frankly...the PS5 plays PS4 games better than the PS4 does, so there's no point. But if the PS5 could get a proper media player, then I can finally pack it up. Sadly I don't see this happening any time soon...if ever, as it doesn't seem to be much of a requested feature (not like it was when the PS4 didn't launch with one).