User Ranks Episode III: Revenge of the...User Ranks

Mendel

So a few of you have been asking about the old user rank system we had on the busted old site, so I did some digging. And by digging I mean digging around in RX's desk, looking for codes, keys, something to bring them back to the site. Turns out, user ranks were inside you all along, and by that I mean they're coming back.

Because of the way our profiles are set up, there are a couple of caveats. First, if you're on mobile, you won't see them. That may be something we can change, but the mobile site seems to be as minimalist as possible for a reason, so that may just be how things are. The other thing is that until now, we've let you animals run wild with your own custom user titles. The thing is, user ranks will appear in the place of user titles, which means custom user titles will go back to being a special feature, more details on that to come.

So, with all of that out of the way, there is one major, pressing concern. The user ranks we were using are incredibly outdated. Super Stardust HD? Hannah Montana? Kevin Butler?

spacer.png

This is starting to feel like I'm back doing the newsletter again. It feels good. It feels....right. Anyway, new names.

We're going to start by asking for suggestions from you, the unwashed masses. We're looking for catchy, preferably identifiable references from Playstation games. How about "Namer of Mayo", from My Name is Mayo? What about "The Last of Us" from The Last of Us? What about "Slayer of Dvalin" from squints Genshin Impact? Well that's just terrible, but you get the idea. Let's fill this thread to the brim with suggestions, and when we get a list we're happy with, we'll get started on restoring the user ranks to their former glory*

*Level of gloriousness TBD.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Necromorph. From Dead Space. But when you say references from Playstation games, is it only limited to Playstation Exclusives?

How about Angry Raging Kratos. Or maybe "BOY!!"

Here's my list:

Angry Raging Kratos (God of War)

BOY !! (God of War)

The People's Porter (Death Stranding)

Helghast Footsoldier (Killzone) - For newbies

Alolololololoy (Horizon Zero Dawn) - For the crazies

Strange/Rookie Relic Hunter (Uncharted)

Friendly Neighborhood Spiderpants

Me Dead... Again (Souls series) 

Clacker Quacker (The Last of Us) - Quack quack

Dragon of Kamurocho (Yakuza) - The original title is Dragon of Dojima from the series lore/character backstory, but every game takes place in a little suburb called Kamurocho.

Vault Hunter (Borderlands)

Smooth Operator/Foxiest of the Hounds (Deus Ex)

One in a Legion (Watch Dogs)

Have Spacesuit - Will Travel (No Man's Sky)

Tomb Raider (Tomb Raider)

Storm King/Tower Knight (Demon's Souls)

Soldier 1st Class (FF7 Remake)

Edited by yewjhin

2 minutes ago, yewjhin said:

But when you say references from Playstation games, is it only limited to Playstation Exclusives?

No, we probably want to prioritize them, but the last batch had a Hannah Montana reference, so really anything that trophy hunters may be able to identify.

So are the trophy icons based on post count for the ranks coming back too? And if so, would we be going with the new PS5 version of the trophies?

As for names for the ranks...the only issue I had with the previous ones is they felt very random. It didn't feel like the rank name matched the post count needed to achieve it (in most cases). So I feel like we need to find a way to make a rank name for 1,000 posts feel less...impressive...then something for 50,000. That's just me though. 

Need to think about this one.

• Clown in Training (Call of Duty)
  • Lazy Lombax (Ratchet & Clank)
  • Trick Rider (Shadow of the Colossus)
  • Titan Slayer (God of War)
  • King of Swing (Spiderman)
  • Sunhawk (Horizon Zero Dawn)
  • Head of the Class! (Uncharted)

Not sure on the character count so... 😛

• What the hell kind of username is Soap? (Call of Duty)
  • Mr Zurkon does not need posts, his currency is pain! (Ratchet & Clank)
  • Here Agro again on my own (Shadow of the Colossus)
  • Almost a Mendel sandwich! (Resident Evil)
  • Good luck pal, that is an impossible post count to - oh, you did it. Nice. (Uncharted)

Edited by Byrney
  • Like 1

Here's my 2 cents :):

Alone in the jar - My Name is Mayo 2

Complex Made Simple - Borderlands 3

Omelette rice - The Language of Life

You're a Celebrity! - Nexomon Extinction

The Adventure Begins - Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout

Breaker of Chains - Attack of the Earthlings

Quick On The Trigger - Killing Floor 2

Doctor of Escapology - Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

Bounty Hunter - West of Dead

Peacemaker - Jisei: The First Case HD

I feel tingly......! - Girls und Panzer: Dream Tank Match

A Little Ember - The Last Campfire

Community Service - Kandagawa Jet Girls

When Two Humans Collide - Destroy All Humans! (2020)

My daily adventure - Dusk Diver

Edited by Terminator
Update.

8 hours ago, Mendel said:

Because of the way our profiles are set up, there are a couple of caveats. First, if you're on mobile, you won't see them.

Another thing we won't be able to see on mobile along with post counts, sigs, using coloured text etc. Kinda disappointed tbh as I use the site almost exclusively on mobile so that kills a lot of the functionality for me personally.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful or disrespectful because I appreciate the work that went into the upgrade and it is for the best but I just wish the mobile version wasn't so stripped back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Another thing we won't be able to see on mobile along with post counts, sigs, using coloured text etc. Kinda disappointed tbh as I use the site almost exclusively on mobile so that kills a lot of the functionality for me personally.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful or disrespectful because I appreciate the work that went into the upgrade and it is for the best but I just wish the mobile version wasn't so stripped back.

I'm not sure if that feature exists everywhere, but I'm using Chrome on an Android phone and I can force the desktop version on there. That's what I usually do as I'm not a fan of the mobile version either. 

👀

Glad to see custom user titles will come back separately; pretty much every subscriber perk has been lost (for now anyway) with the transition so good to get something back.

Will come up with some more down the line, but how about NecroMaster! for 100k? Since it's almost impossible just like Crypt of the NecroDancer is the hardest (P).

2 hours ago, Terminator said:

Here's my 2 cents :):

You most of all have a dollar to offer here, I have a dime :p

35 minutes ago, honda hoe said:

meh. I prefer having a custom title 

18 minutes ago, AshtimusPrime said:

So would I. :(

Don't be cheapskates then!

6 hours ago, Viper said:

So are the trophy icons based on post count for the ranks coming back too? And if so, would we be going with the new PS5 version of the trophies?

As for names for the ranks...the only issue I had with the previous ones is they felt very random. It didn't feel like the rank name matched the post count needed to achieve it (in most cases). So I feel like we need to find a way to make a rank name for 1,000 posts feel less...impressive...then something for 50,000. That's just me though. 

Need to think about this one.

There's an option to use a custom image for each rank, but I haven't tested it yet to see what it looks like.

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

I don't know that I'd count user ranks or signatures as "functionality", but point taken. At some point we'll see if any of that can't be changed.

34 minutes ago, Mendel said:

I don't know that I'd count user ranks or signatures as "functionality", but point taken. At some point we'll see if any of that can't be changed.

Functionality was probably the wrong word... features?

These things are more 'wants' than 'needs' and ultimately they're mostly cosmetic and don't affect the overall experience. It would be nice if they could be made available to mobile users but I can live with it if they can't be. 

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

These things are more 'wants' than 'needs' and ultimately they're mostly cosmetic and don't affect the overall experience. It would be nice if they could be made available to mobile users but I can live with it if they can't be. 

The main thing, I think, is where this stuff would fit. The profile section of your post in mobile is incredibly compact, I'm guessing to cut down on loading times, so adding more text or images would potentially be a major change. It's definitely something we're going to look into though.

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

The idea of mobile is to make things more concise on a smaller screen though. It is a shame a lot of the information isn't there, but then you'd have to consider if it was worth it if it was like the old site where you'd have to pinch and zoom 100 times to even make a simple post, to the point where it was borderline unusable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth_Krid said:

The idea of mobile is to make things more concise on a smaller screen though. It is a shame a lot of the information isn't there, but then you'd have to consider if it was worth it if it was like the old site where you'd have to pinch and zoom 100 times to even make a simple post, to the point where it was borderline unusable.

I feel like such an old knob because genuinely enjoyed the "pinch and zoom" on mobile with the old site lol. You kids and your fancy new updates! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1