Vote and rate Ghost of Tsushima

waltdisneypixar

Vote and rate Ghost of Tsushima  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Vote and rate Ghost of Tsushima

I voted 9. A perfect game is almost impossible for me, but nonetheless I really enjoyed the main story and side stories.

You might argue that most of the side stories are a bit less the same, but thankfully it's not AC on that level. The Japanse mythology intrigued me. Hope for more to come (wishful thinking) :)

Edited by HS2005

Just finished it, what a game! Probably one of the best visual games on the PS4, certainly pushing it to its end of life limit.

And in my opinion possibly my favourite score/soundtrack for a video game.

Solid 9/10.

Completely agree about the soundtrack. I'm one that winds up turning all music off in most games, but this one I didn't and truly enjoyed it.

It's great to see a game live up to all the hype, especially a new title like this one. Great game from start to finish with several unexpected twists and great characters. I'd like to see DLC with NG+ and ability to reset some of the outposts after finishing the story. :ninja:

I voted 2. Yes. Hate me if you wish.

I waited for this game and even preordered it. However it is stunningly boring for me.

Two points go to the scenery which is beautiful and black and white cinematic option. Not graphics though, you can often see how rough textures are.

Gameplay could have been 2xshorter if those long repetitive cut scenes at the start and end of every mission, visiting every place, etc etc were not so long. Duels cut scenes are even longer. Seeing this once or twice is eye pleasing. Seeing it xxx times us annoying.

Story is awful to my taste. So many illogical messages that it just sounds stupid. Like the guy by the fireplace on the cold mountain who is freezing in a t-shirt in snow storm and says he wishes to have fire weapon to warm up. Really, lol? Same style for major quests, many things are absurd.

Tons of side quests to do without any reason. Collecting hats that have no value in game. Collecting records and mongol artifacts without any impact on the game.

Fighting is just literally spamming triangle. Switching stances is interesting but when fully upgraded this piano play is annoying so you end up not using all those bombs, poison and super stances... just spam triangle and everyone dies anyway.

Over scripted walk and horse riding - you can’t speed up if the game scripted you walk slowly x meters... then it lets you ride fast, then it suddenly slows you down in the middle of nowhere for a bunch of seconds conversation that you had without problem on full speed, then it lets you continue speed riding... why?

Assassin’s creed vs Lara croft platforming, obsolete version. Either he jumps as a pro when he needs to reach those sanctuaries, or loses half helath if jumps off 50 cm hill in the place that is not scripted. Hilarious. And all those climbing paths are just stone age.

Sorry, the hardest in this game is to keep playing it because it is so annoying and megaboring.

And my understanding of Samurais have worsened since the start of this game.

I waited for this game and even preordered it. However it is stunningly boring for me.

Two points go to the scenery which is beautiful and black and white cinematic option. Not graphics though, you can often see how rough textures are.

Gameplay could have been 2xshorter if those long repetitive cut scenes at the start and end of every mission, visiting every place, etc etc were not so long. Duels cut scenes are even longer. Seeing this once or twice is eye pleasing. Seeing it xxx times us annoying.

Story is awful to my taste. So many illogical messages that it just sounds stupid. Like the guy by the fireplace on the cold mountain who is freezing in a t-shirt in snow storm and says he wishes to have fire weapon to warm up. Really, lol? Same style for major quests, many things are absurd.

Tons of side quests to do without any reason. Collecting hats that have no value in game. Collecting records and mongol artifacts without any impact on the game.

Fighting is just literally spamming triangle. Switching stances is interesting but when fully upgraded this piano play is annoying so you end up not using all those bombs, poison and super stances... just spam triangle and everyone dies anyway.

Over scripted walk and horse riding - you can’t speed up if the game scripted you walk slowly x meters... then it lets you ride fast, then it suddenly slows you down in the middle of nowhere for a bunch of seconds conversation that you had without problem on full speed, then it lets you continue speed riding... why?

Assassin’s creed vs Lara croft platforming, obsolete version. Either he jumps as a pro when he needs to reach those sanctuaries, or loses half helath if jumps off 50 cm hill in the place that is not scripted. Hilarious. And all those climbing paths are just stone age.

Sorry, the hardest in this game is to keep playing it because it is so annoying and megaboring.

I haven't played but thank you for your review

For me it is going to be a high vote i know but it is welcome to read others reviews

Edited by waltdisneypixar

Out of interest I'm guessing you didn't play this on a PS4 Pro?

I am playing it on the PSPro, currently cleaning remaining side quests and gathering before I go for the final mission. If you wonder about my comments related to graphics, i’m playing on 65’ tv with highest resolution.

And while generally visuals are very good, i can still see flying particles going through objects, people and foxes walking above ground, textures angles popping up... etc. B&W mode actually is more forgiving thanks to the movie format, so it estaetically even better, although I hesitate between beautiful colors and b&w style.

There are lots of games with worse graphics for sure, but I would not call this one state of the art. Good graphics but not the ones to hype about. But the visual concept deserves to be praised for.

7.5/10 sounds right for me.

The world is great plus the combat is interesting and gets even more interesting as you progress through the game not to mention the great technical achievement they had done on GoT.

On the other hand the plot is dull, tedious and had too much Bushido bullsh*t. I had higher hopes when I knew it was influenced by Kurosawa's work but alas they mainly used his early movies to guide them as I was hoping I would see them use Ran and Kagemusha as a reference to make interesting remarks about the class struggles that existed during Japan's feudal system but instead we get a long and boring melodrama. I found Ishikawa, Masako and Mythical tales to be the highlight of GoT's story telling and far more interesting than Jin's main storyline.

Gameplay was repetitive and lazy specially when it came to stealth. They couldn't make stealth more simple than it is already but I get it, it's a Samurai game but guess what you play half of the fuc*king game on stealth, what's that about?

All in all it's an enjoyable game not your usual stuffed open world game with diverse influence, ranging from Sekiro, AC, Breath of Wild and RDR. The game doesn't force you to do side quests in order to progress the story too and that's nice to see.

Edited by T H A B I T

A 9 from me.

It could have been a tiny bit shorter, the game-play could have been a little more varied, the activities within Tsushima did get a tiny bit repetitive, but overall I thought it was unique enough to stand out from the crowd.

The side stories were incredible, the main story I still found very interesting. The presentation and the island itself were superbly stylist, bar some low res textures. The soundtrack and overall sound design were also absolutely phenomenal.

I rate this equally high as TLoU II, perhaps slightly higher. Definitely closer to a 9 than an 8 from me and I think objectively, there's lots to love about this game and appreciate what SP set out to do.

A 9 from me.

It could have been a tiny bit shorter, the game-play could have been a little more varied, the activities within Tsushima did get a tiny bit repetitive, but overall I thought it was unique enough to stand out from the crowd.

The side stories were incredible, the main story I still found very interesting. The presentation and the island itself were superbly stylist, bar some low res textures. The soundtrack and overall sound design were also absolutely phenomenal.

I rate this equally high as TLoU II, perhaps slightly higher. Definitely closer to a 9 than an 8 from me and I think objectively, there's lots to love about this game and appreciate what SP set out to do.

I really liked this game from State of play and waiting to play and i know it is going to be 8 or more

P.s. You can vote here for tlouii too

https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/the-last-of-us-part-ii/345720-vote-rate-last-us-part-ii.html

7 for me.

I love this game but there is many things why it’s ‘only’ 7.

-Stealth combat is something what I simply didn’t liked in this game. I had used it only when I had to. All fun was gone.

-Kunai, poison darts and other throwable weapons was useless for me. Especially poison darts, I used them just once- because it was part of story.

-Lack of animation/cinematics for small things like traveling on boat or pouring poison later in game. Only black screen and sounds. For me it looks cheap for AAA game.

-Repetitive missions/side quests. There was way too many missions when you had to tail someone. It get really boring...

-Stupid enemies, sometimes I was sneaking like 2m away from enemy looking in my direction in daylight, yet somehow I was invisible for them...

I had loads of fun with it, and I think that it’s great game for a goodbye for this gen, but I would never call it perfect, or close to being perfect.

I voted a 10/10. This game is just what I needed right now. Doesn't reinvent the wheel, but neither do most games. The level of polish and execution of systems really shine. Minor drawbacks aside, Kurosawa mode was a very nice touch. I switched it up and played ~15-20 hours in that mode. It felt like I was playing a movie on a black and white TV (like I did back in the '80s).

Overall an incredible experience that left me wanting more after 60 hours of enjoyment.

'Hate' is such a strong word. 'Heavily dislike' more like it, lmao, only kidding. I agree with some of your points (highlighted in bold font) and rated this a solid 6 overall.

The side quests were simply just overbearing for a completionist and in the end I did them for that reason as well as using them afterwards as fast travel points...which sucks.

This is 100% Assassin's Creed - Samurai Edition, and honestly, that's what I've wanted outta UbiSoft for years, lol. Only this version, whilst super pretty is dated and I'd put it in line with the first Assassin's Creed in terms of mechanics.

The game felt about 10hrs too long as well. Overall it was a fun enough slog. /shrugs

Edited by Cyanide Breath Mint

• 2 weeks later...

I would say 7.5 is about right, the game was very enjoyable especially having come off TLOU2 which is bleak as hell (although excellent). Combat is decent, story is decent and the world was amazing to roam and explore. I would say this is a mix of Assassins Creed and Far Cry. The game could probably have been a few hours shorter but overall an enjoyable platinum which I would recommend even to non trophy hunters.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is easily a 9 for me. And if we were talking about just pure fun this would be a 10/10.

Sucker Punch didn’t exactly reinvent the wheel here when it comes to open world games, but then again I don’t think they wanted to. This game feels like Sucker Punch knew EXACTLY what they wanted to make, and then they set out to expertly bring that vision to life.

This is easily the most gorgeous game I’ve ever played, the landscapes and variety of geography and environments across the island are just absolutely stunning in their beauty. It feels like I had to stop playing and open the photo mode at least once every 2 minutes because I’d stumble across a breathtaking scene or a view that would make my jaw drop. This is one of the few games where I couldn’t stand using the fast travel system - I just wanted to ride my horse to every single objective and see every corner of the beautiful, war-torn island up close.

The combat is extremely fun, and while it’s not very challenging at all, it succeeds in truly making you feel like an unstoppable samurai hero. I literally never got tired of hacking down groups of 10-20 enemies at a time, always making sure to avoid getting hit at all, and switching in and out of different stances and weapons to make my ruthless swordplay look and feel as cinematic and epic as possible. I thought the game excelled at capturing this feeling. My only criticism here is that after a short period of time, I found most of the Ghost weapons and gadgets to be completely useless, and increasingly obsolete as I upgraded my sword and bow and unlocked more of the special moves from the Mythic tales.

The one element of the game that surprised me the most was the story. I’m not completely finished the story as of this writing, but so far I can say it actually has a surprising amount of depth, and exceeded my expectations by a lot. I really wasn’t expecting to find a quality narrative in this game so I am pleasantly surprised. 🙂

Before the final tales of Act III, I turtled and maxed out the four stances: Stone, Water, ?/Spear, and Moon, as well as max upgrading the sword, both bows, and all my armor sets. I also finished every haiku, Mystic Tale, Tale of Tshushima, hot spring, bamboo stand, and Inari fox shrine prior to the final duel. When the final confrontation was complete, my platinum unlocked; the final haiku and final duel are part of the main Tale. I'm glad I did that, because the ending of Ghost is powerful. Emotionally, I didn't want to jump back into the game after the final duel and its effect on Jin.

I thought Ghost would be a open-world, Japanese samurai hack-and-slash, but it is much more than that. Tsushima is one of those rare games that has a soul, and rushing through this game to prove it can be completed in 50 hours would be missing an amazing, rare experience. The writing in this game is excellent and the permanent psychological changes the war has on various characters like Norio, Jin, Yuna, and Lord Shimura is well-developed.

Jin wrestles with gradually becoming the Ghost, because the brutal guerilla warfare it requires stands in direct opposition to his family's traditions and the samurai code. Jin isn't an orphaned Ezio from Assassin's Creed; leaping from a rooftop to stab enemies in the back isn't honorable; it's considered cowardice. Becoming a ninja who stealthily slaughters enemies with style sounds cool at first, but when those decisions begin tearing his family apart, what does Jin do? Jin is becoming a monster, as the Ghost/Demon title indicates, and to free Tsushima he must choose between saving his family or saving Tsushima. It's not like everyone supports as the Ghost either. In some villages, the peasants don't like Jin; they fear him. In one Tale, people would rather die than accept his help because they think Jin is worse than the Mongols. Ghost of Tsushima is a reflection on the cost of winning at all cost. Skipping cutscenes would be a mistake in a story this good.

10/10 for Sucker Punch. They learned from their mistakes with inFamous First Light, got rid of stupid challenge room/combat related trophies, and focused on combat and story. Ghost of Tsushima is a grand slam for visuals (the various environments are gorgeous!), storytelling, respect to Japanese culture, music and gameplay/combat. Just, wow. Ghost of Tsushima isn't one of the best games for PS4; it's one of the best games I've ever played, period. I would put this in my top ten with The Last of Us.

Was anyone else reminded of the combat from Batman Arkham Asylum? Contrasting other comments, I used the kunai all the time, especially when facing two Brutes at once. Kunai break their block and stagger Brutes, allowing me to finish one off before the second recovers. Kunai also one-shot archers, which is helpful when fighting archers +2 other enemies simultaneously. The smoke bomb and sticky bomb have their uses; smoke allows you to assassinate/slaughter enemies affected by smoke, which instantly lets you switch to Ghost Stance when slaughtering a leader. Sticky bombs do high damage if you prefer open combat; it stuns some enemies, allowing you to finish off 2 before the others recover. Sticky bombs one-shot archers too, so you can run over, tag an archer, and return your focus to hardier melee opponents.

I think Sucker Punch knew they had "too many" weapons, which is part of the reason for NG+. Forego stealth and plunge headlong into combat using smoke bombs. Enjoy watching enemies kill each other with hallucenogenic darts. See how many enemies flee in terror when using poison darts. Try different tools on your second playthrough.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

If we are allowed to modify our ratings in light of free updates, i'd say the legends add-on pushes it to a 9/10. The mythological stuff is fantastic and the stories, although noticeably more challenging than the main game are still manageable. It's exactly the sort of thing i have been looking for, a game that delves into Japanese lore without requiring god like skills to get anywhere (Nioh, Sekiro, i'm looking at you here...) 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:48 PM, chudo said:

This aspect of the game was critiqued at the time. It does paint a rather rosy view of the Samurai (you don't need to add an 's') as caring deeply for the lower classes, when in reality, in common parlance many were simply toffs that didn't like the idea of the 'commoners' getting above their station. This was particularly an issue as Japan opened up to western trade in the 19th century. So i agree that the message the game is trying to put across is a little confusing and not true to real life.

2/10 is nothing but a troll score though that doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Naps said:

Anyone here can give a Difficulty Rating on the DLC trophies? Thanks in advance!

Not much more difficult than the base game for Iki Island.  The enemies are a little more tricky, but not bad at all. I did all of Iki on Lethal+ and it really wasn't too much harder than the same difficulty in the main story.  On easy/medium it shouldn't be too bad.

The two Rivals trophies can be boosted with a party of as little as 2 people.  The Binding trophy is basically a gimmy if you have a piece of 110 gear already.  Cursed gear drops in Gold and Nightmare Rivals/Survival.  Requires Gold difficulty to complete the curse challenge for that trophy, but most of the curse challenges are pretty easy to complete.

All in all I'd rank both a 3.  If you've done the Raid trophy then the Mastery side of the Rivals trophy list will be easy.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, snake2410 said:

Not much more difficult than the base game for Iki Island... All in all I'd rank both a 3.  If you've done the Raid trophy then the Mastery side of the Rivals trophy list will be easy...

Thanks for your insights. So it's a typical Sucker Punch game... and Poetic's the mention of nothing similar to First Light's challenges is very encouraging. Cheers to you both!