TLoU: Part II ~ Bitching Thread

Ashbo

Haven't read through this whole thread...thought I would stumble on spoilers...which I actually did...argh. So I don't know if anyone has hit on this...

My biggest complaint:

Ladders.

I keep going the wrong way...lol. One ladder I spent literally one minute trying to go down...every time I started to go down...camera shifted and then I exited off the ladder. I also had sum problems repelling down a rope...I kept climbing back on the ledge I was trying to repel down. Very annoying.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really loved the game, so I've got very few complaints. Most of which have already been said to be fair.

Too long: The game did drag a little. I didn't think the Santa Barbara section was really necessary. And other sections could have been quite a bit shorter without losing any of the story.

Stealth/combat balance: I played on moderate and it was far easier to just blast through enemies than bother too much with stealth. There were more than enough parts and ammo to scavenge, so I didn't feel stealth was massively necessary. I'm guessing this may change on higher difficulties (which I probably won't bother with seeing as I can get the plat without doing Survival mode).

Collectibles: Ugh. Games need to do something more interesting with collectibles. It's very boring picking up hundreds of collectibles for trophies. Trading cards, fine. But coins? Yawn.

Hints: God that Hints thing chiming in when you're wandering around scavenging was annoying. I ended up just hitting it most times to stop it flashing up. I wasn't aware you could turn it off until I'd already finished the game.

Lack of infected: There felt like a lot less infected scenes in this game compared with the original. Firefights with humans seemed to take up a disproportionate part of the game. I get that's kind of the point (humans are the real enemy blah blah blah). It just felt short on fighting the infected, which I think are the most exciting parts of the game. I also would have liked more infected vs human enemy set-pieces - setting them off against each other was fun.

Lack of new enemies: Apart from Shamblers, which are basically just mini Bloaters, there wasn't many new enemy types. The fungus has been around for 25 years by the time the game starts - I think a few interesting mutations wouldn't have been too hard to justify.

These are all really minor things though. Overall, I thought it was a fantastic game. Although it seems to have taken me far longer than everyone else. My save file is like 40 hours long for my first playthrough...

Edited by Dramacydal

stupid thing to bitch about, but ahem, everything is triangle button. tried to stealth kill a clicker.....but there was a door behind it, and so ellie thought "you know, i think I might want to open that door instead of killing the clicker trying to gnaw on my flesh"....had a few of these weird glitches happen on me. some are ok, but that one really annoyed me, because it got me killed, and I had to do the whole encounter again....

also, "ellie can't jump there", sometimes, I think to myself "i could totally make that jump, but ellie can't. or I'd think, that's not such a big fall, i've fallen of higher irl, and so has ellie, but it leads to her death, because it's out of bounds for the game, or an area she shouldn't be. why even have a jump button if it serves so little?

stupid thing to bitch about, but ahem, everything is triangle button. tried to stealth kill a clicker.....but there was a door behind it, and so ellie thought "you know, i think I might want to open that door instead of killing the clicker trying to gnaw on my flesh"....had a few of these weird glitches happen on me. some are ok, but that one really annoyed me, because it got me killed, and I had to do the whole encounter again....

also, "ellie can't jump there", sometimes, I think to myself "i could totally make that jump, but ellie can't. or I'd think, that's not such a big fall, i've fallen of higher irl, and so has ellie, but it leads to her death, because it's out of bounds for the game, or an area she shouldn't be. why even have a jump button if it serves so little?

Oh yeah, the TRIANGLE button! I had issues with it when I was hiding behind something and wanted to attach my silencer by holding triangle, but if a melee weapon was nearby (usually from an enemy I just killed) I'd just swap melee weapons instead...it was super annoying!

Never had an issue with jumping in "wrong" spots though. I never, ever used it unless I had to move forward in a level.

I agree with everyone about the length. There were 3 or 4 points that it could have ended. I didn't have huge issues with the story overall except 1) I never like it when a game tosses a whole new antagonist or group of antagonists in towards the end and 2) one of my biggest narrative pet peeves is where it seems like conflict could have been stopped if people just talked for 5 minutes. Everyone in the game was so stubborn and hard headed. Everyone.

The one thing I didn't like was the little control quirks they tossed in like the guitar, the flashlight and the balance mechanic. It just felt tacked on and unnecessary.

The one thing I didn't like was the little control quirks they tossed in like the guitar, the flashlight and the balance mechanic. It just felt tacked on and unnecessary.

I'll agree with you on the balance mechanic and the flashlight, but as a guitar player myself...loved it. For one, it's not really that hard...just move the stick towards the chord it wants you to play and touch or swipe to make it sound. Then it goes away and the cutscene takes over.

It's just...beautiful. Never before have I seen such realistic representations of guitar playing in a game.

I'll agree with you on the balance mechanic and the flashlight, but as a guitar player myself...loved it. For one, it's not really that hard...just move the stick towards the chord it wants you to play and touch or swipe to make it sound. Then it goes away and the cutscene takes over.

It's just...beautiful. Never before have I seen such realistic representations of guitar playing in a game.

Yeah, I almost didn't include the guitar in my post because it fit in well narratively. It was also tied into some of the most powerful scenes in the game.

Clickers are annoying the crap out of me. I thought they were supposed to be blind, yet I keep getting "spotted" by them even if I am not moving at all. Ie. Crouching still several metres away then suddenly a Clicker is in attack mode and headed straight for me.

Length was a bit of an issue as well. I finished it for the first time last night. And having avoided spoilers so I wasn't biased, I was disappointed in the ending. That made the length even more frustrating to me.

Overall I did enjoy it though and started my NG+ run. :)

As for the falls to your death in-game, remember this is the company that makes Uncharted!

So many not so far down falls leading to death. Even falling into water.

'NATE!!!, oh no!'

As for the falls to your death in-game, remember this is the company that makes Uncharted!

So many not so far down falls leading to death. Even falling into water.

'NATE!!!, oh no!'

Working on my 2nd play through for the plat, and I have problems getting back on to some ladders (to go back down, not up)....the ones that you do not approach from the side, but straight on. I try lightly pushing forward on LS, nope. I try getting close and pressing X, nope. I typically have to just jump down, which is fine, but it does seem a bit far. I don't take damage, though.

One spot that actually killed me:

[spoiler=7493820]Outside of the court house near the bunker/lookout is a ladder going up (down the cat walk from where the entry window is). I tried to go down it but couldn't get back on, so I just fell down, and it killed me. The ground wasn't even that high up...all because I couldn't get Ellie back on the ladder.

Working on my 2nd play through for the plat, and I have problems getting back on to some ladders (to go back down, not up)....the ones that you do not approach from the side, but straight on. I try lightly pushing forward on LS, nope. I try getting close and pressing X, nope. I typically have to just jump down, which is fine, but it does seem a bit far. I don't take damage, though.

I've had a lot of problems with ladders where I kept climbing off of them right after I get on them. The best way that I've been able to do them is push my :ls: up and my :rs: down at the same time.

a small, but not all together undeniable problem we had in our play through, wife got motion sickness from the camera. I know, there's a lot of accessibility options in the game, but non helped the problem. changed all sorts of options, but we couldn't figure out what the problem was.

also, i've said it before, and I'll say it again, fucking triangle man, that messed up a lot of my "stealth runs", by the end I was more gunsablazing (especially with that sick shotgun with the explosive fire round things), but still...

also, I left so many resources behind, I just wish you could take a bit more with you, I mean, you have room for a fucking flame thrower, you have room for an extra rag of cloth right?

also, I left so many resources behind, I just wish you could take a bit more with you, I mean, you have room for a fucking flame thrower, you have room for an extra rag of cloth right?

That's actually my one main issue with this game... Ellie can't pack more than 16 bullets for that one gun but then goes and puts the empty gas canister INTO the backpack that can't hold any more bullets... :think:

I know why they were limiting stuff the way they did but I'd appreciate some more agency with the inventory. Dead Space or Diablo style, for example.

a small, but not all together undeniable problem we had in our play through, wife got motion sickness from the camera. I know, there's a lot of accessibility options in the game, but non helped the problem. changed all sorts of options, but we couldn't figure out what the problem was.

also, i've said it before, and I'll say it again, fucking triangle man, that messed up a lot of my "stealth runs", by the end I was more gunsablazing (especially with that sick shotgun with the explosive fire round things), but still...

I think the motion sickness from the camera might be due to a lack of a reticle when you're just moving around...your brain doesn't have a fixed point to focus on.

Some games have an option to turn it on and off (I always need it on in 1st person games because I will get a bit motion sick without it). Not sure if this game has the option or not...didn't really look.

I think the motion sickness from the camera might be due to a lack of a reticle when you're just moving around...your brain doesn't have a fixed point to focus on.

Some games have an option to turn it on and off (I always need it on in 1st person games because I will get a bit motion sick without it). Not sure if this game has the option or not...didn't really look.

It does, but didn’t help the problem. I think it’s because how the camera moves side to side.

It does, but didn’t help the problem. I think it’s because how the camera moves side to side.

Ah, I see. Yeah, I know the reticle helps some people. As I get older and older, I find myself having to play games for shorter amounts of time because my head starts to hurt after awhile.

Ugh. But, glad to hear you enjoyed the game regardless!

Not so much bitching, but I guess more of an annoyance. I'm annoyed at myself that this game didn't live up to the expectations I held for it. Again, that's on me, but Part I is still the best narrative journey I've ever experienced and for me I guess I just set the bar so high that this never had a chance of living up to it.

I didn't hate the game, I certainly didn't love it. I just ... played? it. I kept waiting for that moment to draw me in to the characters, narrative, experience, but it never came.

It bummed me out, man.

Not so much bitching, but I guess more of an annoyance. I'm annoyed at myself that this game didn't live up to the expectations I held for it. Again, that's on me, but Part I is still the best narrative journey I've ever experienced and for me I guess I just set the bar so high that this never had a chance of living up to it.

I didn't hate the game, I certainly didn't love it. I just ... played? it. I kept waiting for that moment to draw me in to the characters, narrative, experience, but it never came.

It bummed me out, man.

I enjoyed it, but I definitely felt it was a step down from the first.

I think story wise it peaked about 1/3 of the way through but it was still engaging overall.

It's not the best game ever but it also doesn't deserve a lot of the vitriol it's receiving either.

The combat in this game is absolute garbage. I dodge when the prompt comes up but apparently it isn't the right time and I get hit. Enemies grab me from 2 feet away even if I'm mid swing with a melee weapon about to take their head off. Half a clip of ammo, still not dead...on Light+. Why the f**k do enemies take half a clip of ammo to die on Light difficulty, even with the added difficulty of NG+.

And my absolute favourite bit of the combat in this game...enemies instantly shooting you when they pop out from cover. It is humans that will be playing this game, humans have reaction times, why does the AI get to instantly shoot within milliseconds every time they pop up from cover.

And whilst I'm here, why do the characters slowly jog everywhere. I've started using speedrun strats of dodging all the time just to get through this ridiculously long game quicker.

I liked the game, I liked the story but OMG do the things that annoy me about it really annoy me.

The combat in this game is absolute garbage. I dodge when the prompt comes up but apparently it isn't the right time and I get hit. Enemies grab me from 2 feet away even if I'm mid swing with a melee weapon about to take their head off. Half a clip of ammo, still not dead...on Light+. Why the f**k do enemies take half a clip of ammo to die on Light difficulty, even with the added difficulty of NG+.

And my absolute favourite bit of the combat in this game...enemies instantly shooting you when they pop out from cover. It is humans that will be playing this game, humans have reaction times, why does the AI get to instantly shoot within milliseconds every time they pop up from cover.

And whilst I'm here, why do the characters slowly jog everywhere. I've started using speedrun strats of dodging all the time just to get through this ridiculously long game quicker.

I liked the game, I liked the story but OMG do the things that annoy me about it really annoy me.

Unlike most games with dodge mechanics, you actually have to dodge early in order for it to work. Dodging as the attack is about to hit you will get you hit.

• 10 months later...

Listen Mode upgrades cannot be unlocked in Grounded Mode+. I didn’t get those particular upgrades during my 1st playthrough.  
I believed that even though listen mode was disabled in Grounded mode, I could still unlock them and get the trophy for completing all of the upgrades. 

But no, I have to get through a third playthrough to unlock the final upgrade I need to complete the trophy. I have to play through all of Ellie’s half before I can get to Abby and get the final upgrade.

If I had known, I would have speed run a permadeath run on an easier difficulty instead of doubling up a grounded permadeath run because I thought that would save me time.

Between having to restart chapters because I died, and needed a half of another play through; I will not have cut down any time.

not a bitch but just something i noticed. at the start of day 1 on abbys playthrough mel makes a comment that she hasnt seen owen for 2 weeks, well i think this has been a mistake as abbys day 1 is the same as ellies day 1 and surely ellies day 1 wasnt over 2 weeks since they killed ( golf club ) plus abby and her friends had to get back from jackson to seattle, so what. did it take ellie 3 weeks to go after tommy. surely they would have gone 2 days later. ellie was bruised still

5 minutes ago, dittyeating said:

not a bitch but just something i noticed. at the start of day 1 on abbys playthrough mel makes a comment that she hasnt seen owen for 2 weeks, well i think this has been a mistake as abbys day 1 is the same as ellies day 1 and surely ellies day 1 wasnt over 2 weeks since they killed ( golf club ) plus abby and her friends had to get back from jackson to seattle, so what. did it take ellie 3 weeks to go after tommy. surely they would have gone 2 days later. ellie was bruised still

Going by timeline on the wiki golfing happens right at the start of March, then Tommy doesn't decide to leave until the end of March, so Abby and co would have easily been back to Seattle by then. You could then assume it takes upwards of 2 weeks or more for Ellie and Dina to reach Seattle (when "Day 1" starts) so there's more than enough time in there for Owen to have disappeared for 2 weeks IMO.