New Television for Next Gen

The Alchemist

I'm looking to buy a new television over the coming months in preparation for the PS5 (not just specifically for that, but it's a big reason), and I need advice on which set to buy. I have always hated buying new TV's because it's just a minefield of jargon and buzzwords, often to just confuse you into believing the TV in question actually has what you need when it doesn't. It's very hard to find a TV that has every feature you need as most seem to be missing one thing or another, it's always a compromise unlesss you spend thousands and thousands for a very high end set. It's made even more difficult for me personally because while I'm not a complete dunce when it comes to tech, I'm far from the most knowledgeable, especially regarding televisions.

I've been doing as much research as I can, reading loads of different articles about the best TV for gaming and the best prepared TV for the next gen consoles but I would like to see your opinions on the subject because honestly I would trust the opinion of people here over that of some online article with paid links to the damn TV they're reviewing.

So far the consensus seems to be that LG have the best TV's at the moment, with the C9 model being brought up a lot as the very best of the bunch. While I do have some slight reservations about OLED, I don't mind taking the risk if the end result will be worth it and besides, most of the TV's I'm looking at with the features I want happen to be OLED anyway so it looks like I'll have to take that route one way or another.

Regarding features and specs I'm looking for, firstly I would prefer to limit the brands to one of LG, Samsung or Sony because I have experience with all three brands and so I know what I'll be getting quality wise. I think I read somewhere that new Sony and Samsung televisions with HDMI 2.1 will be releasing a bit later during the year so there may not be many, if any, options available from them at the moment, but I won't be buying for a few months anyway so I'm prepared to keep my options open if anyone is aware of potential releases down the line.

The most important things I'm looking for is that the TV must be 4K, have HDR and must have HDMI 2.1 (this particular feature is essential). If the TV has a low latency gaming mode then that would be a bonus, or really just low latency overall because 80% of the time it'll be used for gaming. Obviously price matters and my budget would be somewhere in the region of €1,400 at the absolute top end, but if I can spend less than that then obviously that would be very welcome indeed. The 1,400 figure is just a ballpark figure based on the TV's I have looked at so far. Size has to be a minimum of 55" and an absolute maximum of 65", though preferably I don't want to go too big so I would prefer to stay at the 55" mark. Happy to listen to any and all opinions, ideas and suggestions :)

So TL;DR, I'm looking for:

55"-65"

OLED

HDR

HDMI 2.1 (essential)

Low Latency

Max €1,400 Budget

I upgraded just a few days ago to the LG C9 from a Samsung KS9000, which was already a solid TV from 2016 in it's own right, I am honestly pretty blown away by how much better it looks.

The lighting and blacks looking amazing, spent a good few hours customising the display settings based on recommendations from various websites to suit my lighting in the living room, HDR content looks superb as well, really brings out the vibrancy. Also has input lag of just 13ms which is fantastic and is at the lowest end of the spectrum for a TV. It also supports HDMI 2.0/2.1 and 120hz, we might see the odd handful of indie games running at 90 or 120fps on PS5, I didn't think you could get much better than 60fps until I saw my brother play rocket league at 120hz the other week on his new monitor, so this TV is also future proof for the next gen of consoles too.

From what I can tell the C9 in euros seems to hit the very top end of your budget, but I cannot recommend this TV enough, I used to swear off LG TVs due to their previously absurdly high input lag, but the have really brought this down in the last 2-3 years.

The C9 ticks all of your boxes, there is the newer CX but it's like 500 more and the marginal improvements don't justify the extra price at all.

Check out this review https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

Edited by Sellers

Good post mate.

I’m not clued up really, but the best places I go to are the following as they are pretty subjective, yet honest and don’t say “just buy the most expensive tv!”

Which

Whathifi

Techradar

Thanks for the help mate :)

Yeah you'd be amazed how many people think the most expensive item is always the best. Definitely not in my experience. It's very hard to find balanced, fair reviews but i'll be checking these out

I upgraded just a few days ago to the LG C9 from a Samsung KS9000, which was already a solid TV from 2016 in it's own right, I am honestly pretty blown away by how much better it looks.

The lighting and blacks looking amazing, spent a good few hours customising the display settings based on recommendations from various websites to suit my lighting in the living room, HDR content looks superb as well, really brings out the vibrancy. Also has input lag of just 13ms which is fantastic and is at the lowest end of the spectrum for a TV. It also supports HDMI 2.0/2.1 and 120hz, we might see the odd handful of indie games running at 90 or 120fps on PS5, I didn't think you could get much better than 60fps until I saw my brother play rocket league at 120hz the other week on his new monitor, so this TV is also future proof for the next gen of consoles too.

From what I can tell the C9 in euros seems to hit the very top end of your budget, but I cannot recommend this TV enough, I used to swear off LG TVs due to their previously absurdly high input lag, but the have really brought this down in the last 2-3 years.

The C9 ticks all of your boxes, there is the newer CX but it's like 500 more and the marginal improvements don't justify the extra price at all.

Check out this review https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled

It's great hearing this from someone who actually owns one and it definitely sounds like a great TV. As mentioned, it came up a lot in reviews as being the best TV available while having everything i'm looking for, so it definitely piqued my interest. There's plenty of time to keep my options open but the C9 is looking sweet and is probably the top contender. And you're right, the 55" tops out at just under €1,400 so right at my max. It's a lot of money but i'm happy to invest in quality and I see it as a future proof investment. This honestly helps a lot, thanks mate :)

Is there any reason to pick OLED over LED?

Anyway found this one "LG OLED55B9PLA".

OLED screens are better than LED screens for a number of reasons. They have better contrast and colour, blacks are blacker etc. If you had both an LED screen and an OLED side by side you'd be able to tell the difference by a mile. Both screen types have advantages and disadvantages but in terms of all out quality, OLED wins. LED is cheaper so it will typically be found in lower end TV's, while the type of TV I'm looking for happens to be more in the mid-high end range and so it'll more than likely have an OLED.

That's a good find too, thanks. I looked at the specs for both the TV you posted and the C9 and there is very little difference from what I can tell. The spec sheets are almost exactly the same. Both are OLED with all the bells and whistles I'm looking for (4K, HDR, HDMI 2.1, low latency etc.) The only real difference I can spot is that the C9 has a newer processor (a9 vs a7) but apart from that it's pretty much identical. It even looks identical. And this is partly why I hate shopping for TV's. A lineup can have 5 or 6 TV's which all look the same, have nearly all of the same features but you could save yourself a decent amount of money. The TV you listed is €1,200 so 200 cheaper for almost exactly the same spec sheet. I'm not sure if the newer processor will make that much of a difference, or maybe I'm missing something :think:

Well Panasonic or LG is allways Good to Go.

I have a 2018er Panasonic 65 Zoll LED Don't know the HDMI Port but with fine HDR and 4K and enchanced Black.

As long as you don't buy Samsung you be fine XD

Are newer Samsung TVs bad or something? I know they used to make the best and to my knowledge are still among the best, but the general consensus seems to be that LG make the best TVs available right now.

If it's from 2018 then it won't have HDMI 2.1. That standard is only beginning to become a norm in televisions this year. HDMI 2.1 is important because it supports 4K at 120fps and 8K at 60fps whereas HDMI 2.0 and below only supports 4K at 60 fps. PS5 supports 4K at 120fps and 8K so this is why it's important. While I highly doubt 4K at 120fps will be the norm for games (a more realistic possibility is 4K at 60fps for games, which games should be more than capable of doing, and is likely the target they'll be aiming for) it's a way of future proofing.

Are newer Samsung TVs bad or something? I know they used to make the best and to my knowledge are still among the best, but the general consensus seems to be that LG make the best TVs available right now.

If it's from 2018 then it won't have HDMI 2.1. That standard is only beginning to become a norm in televisions this year. HDMI 2.1 is important because it supports 4K at 120fps and 8K at 60fps whereas HDMI 2.0 and below only supports 4K at 60 fps. PS5 supports 4K at 120fps and 8K so this is why it's important. While I highly doubt 4K at 120fps will be the norm for games (a more realistic possibility is 4K at 60fps for games, which games should be more than capable of doing, and is likely the target they'll be aiming for) it's a way of future proofing.

I've got a modern Samsung 4K TV and apart from a couple of minor irritations, it works fine :).

I'll be in the market for a new television for the first time in nine years. I have good milage on my 32" Samsung LCD TV, but with next gen consoles coming soon I need to get to modern times. I will be on the lookout for the C9 or CX, but I may hold off until Black Friday to make the jump though June/July might be my first window of opportunity.

I'll be in the market for a new television for the first time in nine years. I have good milage on my 32" Samsung LCD TV, but with next gen consoles coming soon I need to get to modern times. I will be on the lookout for the C9 or CX, but I may hold off until Black Friday to make the jump though June/July might be my first window of opportunity.

I'm in the same boat. Whatever television I buy will only be like my third TV in 15 years and one of those completely died and had to be replaced so technically this would only be my second TV in that timeframe if not for that. I really don't buy new tech all that often. I'm only on my second laptop in a decade and my second phone in about 6 years too. I don't know why some people upgrade stuff every year or two. Complete waste of money.

The C9 is more than likely what I'll be going for too. Plenty of time to decide though and with any luck, prices might go down a bit by then to try and get people to spend when things get back to some form of normalcy.

Been honestly thinking about getting the BenQ EX2780Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz 1440p 27 Inch.

It's like $600, but there's still plenty of time to decide on a Monitor or TV. I most likely won't be going TV anymore though.

Out of curiosity, why a monitor? It's not as if any console game will be able to take advantage of the 144Hz. If you play PC then sure, monitors are the way to go, but it seems odd if it's for consoles. TVs are increasingly becoming gamer friendly with super low latency and with HDMI 2.1 they'll have the ability to output 4K at 120fps and 8K at 60fps, something the PS5 will actually support, unlike the 144Hz feature of the monitor. I can't see any advantage of a monitor over a modern television and at least with a TV you'll be able to use it for things besides gaming. Couldn't imagine trying to watch a movie on a 27" monitor

To Answer the Samsung Question:

My First LCD Screen 2007 for the PS3 Release was a Samsung 1080i Monitor 27 Zoll and it works fine till they get broken 2012.

I went for a Samsung 1080p Smart TV with 3D was the Last Trend than. But besides the Fancy Remote Controll wich was a Wii Controller lol this Thing was so wrong XD

Broken Sound and a LCD Screen that was "nailed" on the Backside. I have the Samsung Support here i know how it looks inside. Because of this the Screen was allways blur and Cloudy. Retour to Amazon where it Belongs.

Since than i Used Panasonic wich the Panels Just drop inside a Frame. No Nail or Clue or whatever. Works fine evry Time.

So TL;DR, I'm looking for:

55"-65"

OLED

HDR

HDMI 2.1 (essential)

Low Latency

Max €1,400 Budget

I'm in the same boat, and have been on the lookout since the start of this year. My current set is a Sony Bravia that I bought at the launch of PS3 to take advantage of 1080p HD gaming, and its worked faultlessly ever since. I didn't upgrade to PS4 Pro, so there has been no need to get a 4K set before now. (The mid-gen refresh wasn't nearly a big enough jump to justify the outlay in my opinion, and it should make the jump to PS5 all the more impactful).

But with PS5 coming, I'm determined to have a new set ready to go for launch.

HDMI 2.1 is, as far as I can see, going to be the kingmaker for choosing the make and model, and the factor that is likely going to drive up the price range of choices. It is going to be the single biggest performance limiting factor over the next 5+ years, and it's going to be a couple of years before it becomes the norm rather than a premium. But not having it is just not an option, unless you fancy buying another TV in 2-3yrs!

I also don't plan to jump too soon. Once we finally get a proper look at the PS5, what it can and can't do, and hopefully get some in depth technical recommendations, then and only then I'll pull the wallet out.

• 3 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, why a monitor? It's not as if any console game will be able to take advantage of the 144Hz. If you play PC then sure, monitors are the way to go, but it seems odd if it's for consoles. TVs are increasingly becoming gamer friendly with super low latency and with HDMI 2.1 they'll have the ability to output 4K at 120fps and 8K at 60fps, something the PS5 will actually support, unlike the 144Hz feature of the monitor. I can't see any advantage of a monitor over a modern television and at least with a TV you'll be able to use it for things besides gaming. Couldn't imagine trying to watch a movie on a 27" monitor

They be lying for advertising purposes. TVs are still in the high 13-20ms response time. That is high input lag compared to a gaming monitor. And I've researched LG C9 TVs too.

Gaming Monitors aren't truly 1ms response times either but certain ones with the right settings can achieve 3.8 - 4 ms response time which is way better than a TV.

Besides, you go from TV to monitor you'll notice a difference. I don't care about a pretty picture. I rather have performance.

They be lying for advertising purposes. TVs are still in the high 13-20ms response time. That is high input lag compared to a gaming monitor. And I've researched LG C9 TVs too.

Gaming Monitors aren't truly 1ms response times either but certain ones with the right settings can achieve 3.8 - 4 ms response time which is way better than a TV.

Besides, you go from TV to monitor you'll notice a difference. I don't care about a pretty picture. I rather have performance.

13ms is fantastic and anything below that is negligible. Still not sure I understand why you want a monitor for console gaming. You will not be able to tell the difference. Unless you're a pro gamer where every ms could make a difference, it's dumb to think that monitors are in any way superior over a modern TV such as the C9, which also supports VRR and ALLM along with it's already low response time. And when you aren't gaming you get a fantastic TV to enjoy, not a tiny 27" monitor you will basically have to be sat right up on to see anything. The only advantage to the monitor you mentioned is that it's around a third of the price of the C9, so you get some of the benefits for less money, that's about it. I am not a competitive player, I rarely even dip into MP games. I would rather have an amazing TV for watching movies along with an excellent set of CONSOLE ready gaming features, HDMI 2.1 ready for next gen to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

Having seen the reveal and the games coming etc i’ve realised having a vanilla PS4, that I will probably have to invest in a new tv to get the optimum out of a PS5!

Not that I need an excuse for a TV, but i’m gonna start looking around for them now.

@Alchemist, have you got any nearer to a choice of TV yet mate??

Having seen the reveal and the games coming etc i’ve realised having a vanilla PS4, that I will probably have to invest in a new tv to get the optimum out of a PS5!

Not that I need an excuse for a TV, but i’m gonna start looking around for them now.

@Alchemist, have you got any nearer to a choice of TV yet mate??

As of this moment I'm 90% sure I'll be going with the LG C9, mate. It's still pretty much the best TV you can buy despite the fact a newer LG model has come out which is more expensive but basically the exact same feature set, it wasn't reviewed as being any better than the C9. Plus, and this is the big one, no other TV's with HDMI 2.1 have really released since. There are meant to be a couple on the way from other brands but whatever TV you go for, make sure it has HDMI 2.1 because that is the number 1 feature you will want heading into the future and into next gen too. I'm still not getting mine right away so there's a chance I do opt for something else by the time I go to buy a TV, but at the moment it's almost a definite that I go with the C9

The LG CX (ten, they went to roman numerals) is supposed to release this September (according to Harvey Norman anyway). And it has a few more choices in screen size.

When it does land, we should have a better range of pick from. And with a bit of luck, it might force a price drop on the C9 at the same time.

The LG CX (ten, they went to roman numerals) is supposed to release this September (according to Harvey Norman anyway). And it has a few more choices in screen size.

When it does land, we should have a better range of pick from. And with a bit of luck, it might force a price drop on the C9 at the same time.

Yeah hopefully lad. A €200+ price drop would be nice.

• 2 months later...

Been looking into getting a new tv for the ps5 also. I’m not really tech savvy so i don’t understand all the specs 100%. A lot of the tvs mentioned above are 4k. Why aren’t you looking at 8k tvs as the ps5 is capable of 8k?. I have a budget of around £3,000. Can anyone recommend me a tv?