DS4 won't charge with USB or docking station

Lime

Haven't used my PS4 in a few months (maybe 4?) and when I tried charging my two controllers, they both won't charge. Find it kind of weird that both stopped charging at the same time. They both will have the charging glow (orange light fading in and out) for like a 30 seconds or so right when I put them on the dock. Then I think the charging stops, one controller will then have a red light and the other controller won't light up as well.

Is there anything I can try before having to buy two new controllers? I looked up youtube videos on how to replace the batteries, doesn't look overly daunting so I might actually look into that as well. Again, just trying to see if anyone has some suggestions on what I can try before resorting to replacing batteries/ buying new.

Thanks,

-Lime

Could you charge your PS4 controller in a computers USB to charge? If you have a laptop you can put close to your PS4 that would probably be preferable as it’s close enough to play at the same time.

I had the same issue a few months ago with my PS3 controller/console. The controller wouldn’t charge in the console but would in a laptop and then suddenly one day the controller started charging with my console. It was pretty random.

The last time you regularly used your PS4, were the batteries on the controllers dying rather fast? It could be that the batteries were already on their way out, and now that you went 4 months without charging them, they lost all their juice. Getting new batteries would be the cheaper route.

Could you charge your PS4 controller in a computers USB to charge? If you have a laptop you can put close to your PS4 that would probably be preferable as it’s close enough to play at the same time.

I had the same issue a few months ago with my PS3 controller/console. The controller wouldn’t charge in the console but would in a laptop and then suddenly one day the controller started charging with my console. It was pretty random.

Yes I tried that as well. On a macbook and Windows laptop, nothing :(

The last time you regularly used your PS4, were the batteries on the controllers dying rather fast? It could be that the batteries were already on their way out, and now that you went 4 months without charging them, they lost all their juice. Getting new batteries would be the cheaper route.

I do remember thinking that the batteries weren't lasting as long as they should actually. I'll look online to buy some batteries and try my hand at replacing them then.

Try resetting the controllers by pressing the reset button on the back of the controller with a paper clip or something small that will fit into the hole. Just hold it down for at least 5 secs so it does reset.

If that doesnt work look at videos on utube. Theres a few fixes to try before going to the lengths of changing the battery. Changing the battery isnt hard, I've already replaced my thumbsticks (with xbone thumbsticks) n the r2 triggers on both my controllers. Its just why spend money on battery which might not b the culprit at all.

Edited by hungherk

• 4 months later...