Has anyone's PS4 just turned off on it's own

LURadioDJ

My Pro did this very thing a couple of months ago, it wouldn't turn back on for a couple of hours, eventually it started up again and seemed ok, but when I later turned it off I again had the problem of it not turning on.

I took the cover off and gave it a good clean, although it wasn't very dusty anyway, but this made no difference, after about a week of it only turning on when it felt like it I gave up and bought another one, luckily I managed to get it turned on long enough to transfer my data.

How old is yours? Mine was a launch Pro so perhaps it was just it's time.

Mine was older as well. I just bought a new one.

So since I have a lot of stuff on my external HDD if I attach that to the PS4 now will that screw up the PS4 or will it be like I just disconnected it and reconnected it, like the games will just be there.

I don't wanna attach it and mess stuff up is all

I connected both of mine together and transferred everything from the internal, most of my games are on an external so they were fine. I was fortunate that the old PS4 stayed on while the transfer took place, took about 4 hours, of course if it had turned off halfway through I'm guessing that would have caused big problems, so it's a risk you take.

One thing, before you transfer data to your new PS4, make sure the external hdd isn't connected, otherwise it'll wipe all your installed games off of it and you'll have to reinstall everything.

Not the PS4 Pro as I don't own it. But my PS4 used to do all kind of weird stuff, shut down on it's own, go into rest mode, eject the disc. I tried all kinds of DIY methods available on youtube, down to remove the eject button so the disc wouldn't eject on it's own while I played.

It eventually stopped but I have no idea if it's because of the many fixes I did or not.

• 1 month later...

Yes, mine has had this issue two times, first time was HORRIBLE. it turns off exactly as if you were turning it off, right? Like does the blue blinking, etc, you can't turn it back on immediately AND it does the database thing cause it was turned off in a wrong way?

Now the first time it happened it was REALLY bad, I thought that was it and I was going to have to buy another one, tried my brother's cable (the one that powers the PS4) and it worked again perfectly for over a year, so I bought myself one. Then it happened again, this time, I bought another cable, but more importantly, I plugged it directly into the electricity outlet, instead of using an electricity cable, and haven't had a problem since. It's weird cause I think I had the PS4 for like 3 years before I started having this issue, and I always use an electricity cable for everything, used it with the PS3 and never had this issue, really weird.

So, hopefully, you're having the same problem, because that is an easy fix, try both things at the same time. I should note that I am using the normal PS4, but I don't think it matters tbh. Good luck, hope this solves it.

Edited by H!NO

• 1 month later...
It sounds like it may have over heated.

The PS4 is SUPPOSED to warn you before it does that though by turning the light on the console to a pulsing red. But it could have just been very sudden.

Overheating might be what causes that? Good to know. Hasn't happened to me yet but it happened to a friend the other day.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...