who is gaming with OLED?

waltdisneypixar

I was considering OLED for my last TV, but I'd just come out of an abusive relationship with a PS Vita whose OLED screen had tinted yellow, and in searching up the problem found that it's just an inherent issue with OLED panels in general.

Until that's sorted, OLED is in the same category as Plasma to me. Pretty to look at, but wouldn't spend my own money on it...

I was considering OLED for my last TV, but I'd just come out of an abusive relationship with a PS Vita whose OLED screen had tinted yellow, and in searching up the problem found that it's just an inherent issue with OLED panels in general.

Until that's sorted, OLED is in the same category as Plasma to me. Pretty to look at, but wouldn't spend my own money on it...

they are getting better prepared now with refresh thing and so on

it seems you have to be careful with some basics about taking care oled

and they say it is another league playing with oled

imagine with PS55555555 lol

cant wait

they are getting better prepared now with refresh thing and so on

it seems you have to be careful with some basics about taking care oled

and they say it is another league playing with oled

imagine with PS55555555 lol

cant wait

The state of OLED burn in/screen staining when I last bought a TV (2018?) was that it was still an issue. Not sure about the current state of OLED since then, but a quick google search seems to suggest that it's still an issue.

I'll reassess it when I next need a new TV, but my opinion on it is that it may look pretty, but it's far too expensive for a short term investment.

The state of OLED burn in/screen staining when I last bought a TV (2018?) was that it was still an issue. Not sure about the current state of OLED since then, but a quick google search seems to suggest that it's still an issue.

I'll reassess it when I next need a new TV, but my opinion on it is that it may look pretty, but it's far too expensive for a short term investment.

that is why i am reading and asking till ps5 is out i have time to check the new lg 2020 models and watching reviews

that is why i am reading and asking till ps5 is out i have time to check the new lg 2020 models and watching reviews

Reviews won't tell you about issues which become apparent in ~2 years time.

I mean, if OLED is the way you want to go, don't let me stop you. Just realise that it is a known issue with OLEDs.

^^ Yes! I have a Panasonic Plasma that is now almost a decade old. The scare articles written about Plasma tvs were ridiculous.

Still to this day alot of 4k tvs can't compete with this tvs viewing angle for the room or the black levels. The only TV that would feel like an upgrade without losing the important things I like is OLED. Qled seems to be a somewhat close second.

^^ Yes! I have a Panasonic Plasma that is now almost a decade old. The scare articles written about Plasma tvs were ridiculous.

Still to this day alot of 4k tvs can't compete with this tvs viewing angle for the room or the black levels. The only TV that would feel like an upgrade without losing the important things I like is OLED. Qled seems to be a somewhat close second.

amen to that. makes other tvs black look like a mid range gray xD and stuff is nowhere near as smooth.

Yep, all those anti-plasma people we're wrong and people like Metdevil are just fear mongers.

I still have a 2010 42' Panasonic 1080p plasma downstairs, and it still works great. Hell would have to freeze over before I dump that thing. The blacks are thicc compared to my newer and cheaper Sharp 4k which is really made in China by HiSense.

QLED is great too if brightness and glare is a problem in the room. Totally would get QLED now in my bedroom if I had to replace.

OLED burn-in is a real and proven issue so I'm not sure how he is a fear monger :confused:

If you're TV still works fine then that's great but I suggest you look up the definition of a fear monger. Just because something hasn't happened to you it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's actually the thing that has put me off OLED, well that and the price is still too high. It may never happen to your tv, or it may take many thousands of hours but the potential for it to happen is still there and for the cost of OLED TV's you'd best be getting a hell of a long time out of it. Even if it has a very low chance of happening I'd still (at least for now) prefer to go the non OLED route. Even if a regular 4k tv craps out on you it would still be cheaper to replace than a good OLED

3 people here talking about how great their Panasonic plasmas are when mine got burn in after a few months of CoD and even just a few hours of Quantum of Solace (the crouch/stand silhouette of QoS and team badges of CoD were burnt in) back around then. Scared me off since tbh, and made me think they’re not suited for games since they usually have HUD elements and stuff constantly on screen.

3 people here talking about how great their Panasonic plasmas are when mine got burn in after a few months of CoD and even just a few hours of Quantum of Solace (the crouch/stand silhouette of QoS and team badges of CoD were burnt in) back around then. Scared me off since tbh, and made me think they’re not suited for games since they usually have HUD elements and stuff constantly on screen.

Yea, and the same thing happened to my brother's OLED phone. He played one of those clicker games and wound up with the HUD burnt into the screen.

Never had an issue with my stuff. Even my phone is OLED. Awesome screen. (ran a burn in test video out of curiosity on tv and phone, zero issues)

Majority are happy with the products. If you check the well rated lg B9 oled tv something like 97% recommend it on bestbuy.

I have never worried about the scare articles because I know I take good care of my stuff. (I don't pause it and leave for dinner etc) My tv use is also pretty evenly mixed between games, tv, movies, so its never just one thing, supposedly that is a plus.

I'm glad that it hasn't to you, but it's another thing entirely to pretend that it doesn't exist and that warnings are 'scare articles'.

Even that LG B9 review comes with a warning about burn in.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled

unfortunately, just like all OLED TVs, it has the possibility of developing permanent burn-in.

Also, the problem with OLED isn't only leaving it on a static screen, or leaving a HUD on screen.

OLED degrades when exposed to UV. So a naturally lit room, even if the panel isn't in direct sunlight, can damage the screen.

Nothing wrong with being aware that a problem exists, just don't pretend it doesn't just because it hasn't happened to you.

Just fear mongering because they know someone or don't have first-hand experience. All high-end smartphones today are OLED. Samsung Galaxy, iPhone 11. I've been through the OLED ringer several times. Plasma has slightly longer burn-in but it goes away, the cost of manufacturing wasn't appealing anymore as China supplied LCDs basically sunk the market.

We’ve engineered the Super Retina and Super Retina XDR displays to be the best in the industry in reducing the effects of OLED "burn-in." This includes special algorithms that monitor the usage of individual pixels to produce display calibration data. Your iPhone uses that data to automatically adjust the brightness levels for each pixel as needed to reduce visual effects from "burn-in" and to maintain a consistent viewing experience.

In addition, all displays, including OLEDs and LCDs, might be susceptible to reduced brightness levels as the display ages over time. This can occur on any consumer-electronics product. "

Edited by technole

I thought burn in was something tackled years ago? I used to have a 720p LCD Vizio that has a planet from the first Mass Effect burned into it. When I finally got a new TV a few years later, LED was the big thing on the market and I remember reading that Burn-in was no longer a factor.

Good to know I guess. I mean, my current TV is nothing special...it's a LG 4K, I believe it's just a regular LED screen...but if I ever decide to upgrade again, I'll have to keep my eye on burn in possibilities again.

I thought burn in was something tackled years ago? I used to have a 720p LCD Vizio that has a planet from the first Mass Effect burned into it. When I finally got a new TV a few years later, LED was the big thing on the market and I remember reading that Burn-in was no longer a factor.

Good to know I guess. I mean, my current TV is nothing special...it's a LG 4K, I believe it's just a regular LED screen...but if I ever decide to upgrade again, I'll have to keep my eye on burn in possibilities again.

I am buying LG CX with my PS5 . My first OLED and with 5 year LG Care warranty

I was waiting for ps5 to get a new tv with hdmi 2.1 i have now a 1080p Samsung same year as ps4 but i need to upgrade for quality

• 2 months later...
I just bought a Samsung Q70 QLED TV and the only difference I noticed between an OLED and QLED is that my wallet is not as light. My QLED performs just perfectly in low light scenarios as well as bright sun projections, and it only cost me 1k for a 65"

only difference I noticed between an OLED and QLED is that my wallet

Wow. OLED wins big time over any led

• 1 month later...