May quit gaming after the PS5

Spazman

I don’t know where else to put this thread but here. This is accumulation of thoughts I’ve had for quite a long time now. So I’ll try to keep this from being too long of a post, so I’ll get to the point.

Over the past year or so I realize that I am simply not enjoying new games as much as I used to. Death Stranding was one of my highly anticipated games for this year, and considering Hideo Kojima’s past history and success, I couldn’t go wrong. But once I saw the gameplay footage and I saw Twitch.tv live-streams of the game, I almost felt instantly turned off. It was yet another open world game, but with all the cancers that affect the modern world. The presence of social media. Political agendas, which are all too apparent anymore. A chore from start to finish. So on and so forth.

Days Gone seemed a little tempting, but the open world saturation combined with zombies was enough to turn me away. I may get it, when it’s extremely cheap. But there’s no way in hell I was going to pay the full $60 for it. Not when it’s something I’ve already done dozens of times, including games I played on the Xbox 360.

I am also becoming increasingly irritated with how modern games are being marketed. DLC, which about every other AAA game has now, with a price tag on it. Season Passes, which don’t always give you all the DLC. Microtransactions/loot boxes, cancers that started with mobile games. Multiple Special Editions, which Ubisoft has taken advantage of. And a number of other things. God of War 2018 was a breath of fresh air because it didn’t have many of the malicious marketing prices you find in many games today. But I feel as time goes on, that will be the exception rather than the norm. It’s already going that way.

I miss Sony from the early - mid 2000s. It was edgy, cool, and poked a bit of humor into itself in their advertisements. The PS2 was an awesome system with a huge variety of games, from Tony Hawk to God of War and Metal Gear Solid.

My declining interest in gaming may have to do with the fact that I’m older. That’s what I want to think. I’m still interested in new games but I no longer have the sheer glee or anticipation. Maybe I’m just older and have seen it all. But trying to get into these new games is like trying to sit through a modern children’s cartoon. Cringeworthy and a huge turn off.

I find myself feeling a lot more engaged with indie games and the middle of the road (AA) titles. Older AAA games for me felt like they captured the magic of the developers. A group of people who wanted to share a passion, and the result was a great game that was a lot of fun.

Sony today looks like a corporate behemoth, putting business and sheer profits ahead of everything else. There’s a new PS5 game that was just announced for the upcoming PS5 console. But for the first time ever in my life, I’m not all that excited for the new era of console gaming.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

I can relate to what you say. However I do think this has that much to do with practices of the gaming companies but more with how we gamers develop as human beings. Even if you're a long time gamer you won't be able to always put that much time and focus into gaming and truth be told, if you're not a professional gamer you shouldn't put too much time and energy it in the first place.

Of course I cannot tell you about you have to feel but from my personal experience I can totally tell you that there are phases in which I'm taking huge breaks from gaming, like sometimes literally for years. Sometimes because life/time just doesn't allow it and other times because I just don't feel it. But that does not mean that I think gaming has gotten worse or anything. It just means that there's other things in life more important to me than gaming for which I am very thankful. But I always come back to it when the time is right. So if it is any similar for you then go ahead and take your break if you really feel like it. You shouldn't feel obliged to keep gaming. Eventually you'll get back to it when you feel the desire to do so. And IMO that's the best reason to get into gaming. ;)

However if getting older and having other priorities is not the issue here and you instead really see a problem with the direction of gaming (which I can also related to) then try looking at it from another perspective. Wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to play older games that you have ignored so far because of the next big thing? Again I can only speak for myself but if you check my trophy list you'll see I've only have 90 games played and yet I've been having nine other games at home for years and a wish list of 104 other games I would like to play at some point. Some of these games are actually HD versions of games I didn't play on the PS2 or PS1 so yeah if there would be no new games coming out I'd still have years to fill with my backlog. XD

Also I can't help but chuckle at this part of your post:

Sony today looks like a corporate behemoth, putting business and sheer profits ahead of everything else. There’s a new PS5 game that was just announced for the upcoming PS5 console. But for the first time ever in my life, I’m not all that excited for the new era of console gaming.

Sony was this long before a PlayStation was even a thing. :)

Edited by Ivotas

Days Gone was possibly my GOTY despite having zero interest in the game before release and just getting it on a whim. As much as I do like a lot of what Sony is doing now though, I definitely miss the days of cartoony mascots. Seeing the kind of animation the Crash and Spyro remakes have makes me really miss those kinds of games considering how amazing they look these days.

Even if I feel the same, I think I'll skip the PS5 and stay with the PS4 and retrogaming.

I visit gaming websites more by habit and when I find an interesting game, it finishes on my wishlist and I won't play it before years so I think it's time to slow down...

"Professional gamer" is a good expression : now gaming has become a job more than a hobby so indeed, if you want to keep the pace of the new releases, it's almost mandatory to try to break through streaming.

I've been thinking about this myself this year, I've just turned 29 (I don't feel it!), I'm not as buzzing for AAA releases as I used to be though I've still enjoyed some this year.

For me personally I think it's a combination of game company habits, everything is starting to feel samey, massive open world grind fests full of pay to win MTs and 'xp boosters' (looking at you ubisoft), games with tacked on MP nobody asks for (stares at RE3make), and of course my own completionists tendencies don't help.

I don't think I'll quit gaming after PS5, as a lot can happen between now and then, if anything I'd end up switching to PC gaming, but I don't like how the big western publishers like MS, Ubisoft and EA are really wanting to go hard on services and streaming for next gen, not feeling overly optimistic about the future at the moment.

I don’t know where else to put this thread but here. This is accumulation of thoughts I’ve had for quite a long time now. So I’ll try to keep this from being too long of a post, so I’ll get to the point.

Over the past year or so I realize that I am simply not enjoying new games as much as I used to. Death Stranding was one of my highly anticipated games for this year, and considering Hideo Kojima’s past history and success, I couldn’t go wrong. But once I saw the gameplay footage and I saw Twitch.tv live-streams of the game, I almost felt instantly turned off. It was yet another open world game, but with all the cancers that affect the modern world. The presence of social media. Political agendas, which are all too apparent anymore. A chore from start to finish. So on and so forth.

Days Gone seemed a little tempting, but the open world saturation combined with zombies was enough to turn me away. I may get it, when it’s extremely cheap. But there’s no way in hell I was going to pay the full $60 for it. Not when it’s something I’ve already done dozens of times, including games I played on the Xbox 360.

I am also becoming increasingly irritated with how modern games are being marketed. DLC, which about every other AAA game has now, with a price tag on it. Season Passes, which don’t always give you all the DLC. Microtransactions/loot boxes, cancers that started with mobile games. Multiple Special Editions, which Ubisoft has taken advantage of. And a number of other things. God of War 2018 was a breath of fresh air because it didn’t have many of the malicious marketing prices you find in many games today. But I feel as time goes on, that will be the exception rather than the norm. It’s already going that way.

I miss Sony from the early - mid 2000s. It was edgy, cool, and poked a bit of humor into itself in their advertisements. The PS2 was an awesome system with a huge variety of games, from Tony Hawk to God of War and Metal Gear Solid.

My declining interest in gaming may have to do with the fact that I’m older. That’s what I want to think. I’m still interested in new games but I no longer have the sheer glee or anticipation. Maybe I’m just older and have seen it all. But trying to get into these new games is like trying to sit through a modern children’s cartoon. Cringeworthy and a huge turn off.

I find myself feeling a lot more engaged with indie games and the middle of the road (AA) titles. Older AAA games for me felt like they captured the magic of the developers. A group of people who wanted to share a passion, and the result was a great game that was a lot of fun.

What do you guys think?

I agree with you on every point. I'm going into trophy hunting and AAA gaming retirement myself once I hit 200 (P)s and 80 PSN 100%s, plus there's nothing announced for the PS5 that I'm even remotely interested in so for the foreseeable future I will be sticking with all the consoles and games I already have.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

1) buy only the games that REALLY interest you, keep your standards high, this way you won`t feel any stress of missing out, so buy only games that are a 10/10 in your book.

2) never buy a game day 1, always go for the Complete Edition and ONLY if it is under 20 bucks, which means it should have at least 70% discount

This way, you can keep your hobby, pay a cheap price for your favourite game and still have plenty of time for real life stuff.

Unless of course, you want to give up gaming for good.

Edited by Emperor Golbez

1) buy only the games that REALLY interest you, keep your standards high, this way you won`t feel any stress of missing out, so buy only games that are a 10/10 in your book.

2) never buy a game day 1, always go for the Complete Edition and ONLY if it is under 20 bucks, which means it should have at least 70% discount.

I've been doing this... Only buying games I care about and only at reasonable prices. Even then I still get disappointed half the time.

I don't know if I could ever retire in earnest because I'd be bored out of my mind and I still enjoy a good Mega Man game... But I could quit a lot of it easy. AAA games are like AAA batteries to me, they are small and have less energy and value than a good C or D.

Most AAA games I couldn't give two pieces of fecal matter about. The game awards, for example, featured absolutely NOTHING I cared about. NOT ONE THING.

I'm sick of open world games. God of War 2018, guess what, it's an open world game... It was ok, but not OMG spectacular.

I loved Persona 5. That was the last huge game I enjoyed. But I am so PISSED they are releasing Persona 5.1 as a complete full retail disc rather than DLC, I won't fucking touch it, at least not at that price.

Edited by shrapx

What do you guys think?

I used to go back and forth between playing games on computer and console back when I was a teenager. However, ever since I bought a PS4 years ago, I've become more and more interested with console and indies -- though I still enjoy triple-As. It seems like I once again have discovered the joy of gaming. Games like Crossing Souls, Dex, Timothy vs the Aliens, Claire, Deponia, The Deadly Tower of Monsters, Unravel, and many more gave me full enjoyment. :dance:

Nonetheless, I love triple-As, too, especially when they don't go full open-world. I find "open-world" like the newest God of War more exciting to play, than of, let's say, Watch_Dogs series. God of War is not that open, but it has its scope. People call it metroidvania-like, which I think it is amazing. Further, I also enjoy linear games when they have engaging stories. Detroit: Become Human, for instance. Hours after hours went by like seconds when I was playing the game. :whistle:

I don't think I will quit gaming, but, who knows, anything could happen. And I always consider buying games that interest me. Also, most of the time I tend to avoid games which require 100 hours to platinum. These days I buy games which require less than 50 hours to platinum. :)

God, it's like you've been inside my head lol.

I Agree with almost everything you said

It was yet another open world game, but with all the cancers that affect the modern world. The presence of social media. Political agendas, which are all too apparent anymore. A chore from start to finish. So on and so forth.

It's like a plague. And what's worse is that I believe a lot of gamers, including me, we use video games to escape real life, and it follows us there!

I agree with the dlc, now, even the games that don't need it gets at least one, even indie games get dlcs, almost EVERY GAME!!! It's ridiculous, I wanted to get Control so badly, and also Days Gone, but I held off until they release all they want to release for them, because it's cheaper for me to buy physical rather than digital. EA and Activision truly ruined Video games, and now Bethesda and Ubisoft are becoming the new EA and Activision. It's insane what Bethesda has been doing with Fallout 76, they have probably lost all the good faith they had in the gaming community.

Also, I don't think it's about age, it's the lack of innovation from the big companies, I won't even blame the devs, what are you supposed to do when your company wants a new game every year and forces you to a specific way of developing, no creativity is allowed!!!

Every game nowadays HAS to be open world, HAS to have rpg mechanics, etc.

They're just copy-pasting each other without improving the formula at all, or seeing how it impacts their game or if even fits it, because most of the time, it ruins it, looking at you Ubi ruining one of the best gaming franchises for me :(

It doesn't matter if the "world" is completely empty, the game has to have a gigantic map!

Last game with open world that I actually enjoyed that wasn't an rpg was RDR2 (the only thing I enjoyed about that game), and even then, the map was really too big, it felt like a chore at the end tbh. Every game is just more of the same, nothing that grabs you, no story, characters, and the gameplay is usually the worst aspect of the game.

I agree with you about Sony, but let's give credit where it's due, they support their developers and their visions, best example is Days Gone, they could have easily said, no, do something else, no one wants another Zombie game, but they stuck with them. Do what you want!

Funny thing is, my game of the year is A Plague Tale: Innocence, an AA linear game! And I am having a blast now with Graveyard Keeper (released last year).

I’m still interested in new games but I no longer have the sheer glee or anticipation
Trust me, that's better than being as excited I was for RDR2 and Bl3 and being as disappointed as I was with both of them, with how video games are these day, consider that a bless.

One thing though, the idea of ever leaving gaming as a whole, makes me absolutely sad. Video games are not just video games for me, they're truly an escape from this world, though I learned a lesson the past couple of years and it is that you really must play in moderation, because I did burn myself on them and so many felt like a chore, and it actually affected me mentally. Though I truly fear for the future of video games, especially cloud gaming, that might actually make me quit, and I am really not looking forward to that day :(

Edited by H!NO

I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying, and I actually started losing interest in gaming about 3-4 years ago as a result of some of these things. So many games, especially a lot of the AAA titles, all looked similar to me (massive open worlds that feel like a grind). I also haven't liked the direction gaming has been going in for several years now. Besides things already mentioned like the constant DLC/Microtransactions/Season Pass stuff and online being a big thing forced into a lot of games, I also hate how less and less games are getting physical copes and things are turning to digital-only, or even worse, streaming only.

I know the Switch has helped me get back into gaming since some of these issues are less prevalent there, and there are more games coming out on it that interest me like the Nintendo exclusives and lots of smaller titles and indies available physically too. I don't know if I'll ever stop gaming, but I can definitely see myself only sticking with the systems I have or focus on retro gaming if things keep going the way they are.

Been getting into older gaming myself recently since I really only played a handful of games each gen prior to the PS3. I am still excited for the future as I’ve mostly cut down on my interests to avoid the pitfalls that particularly annoy me, but I’m finding it’s just as exciting to look back on previous gens and what I’ve missed honestly.

A big thing that’s been frustrating me at least is development time of these massive games. If a game performs really well, it means we might not see anything else from that developer for like 10 years. Naughty Dog is one of my favourite developers and I love most of their games, but no new IPs from them in an entire generation hurts. Uncharted 4 and TLOU are two of my favourites, but I want something new. Same for Insomniac, my favourite developer. I loved Spider-Man, but I don’t want them to be making mainly Spider-Man games for the next 5 years, let alone longer... Gone are the days when we would get an entire trilogy plus other games from a single developer in a generation. Such creative and talented developers, but with how long these massive games take to make these days, we’re seeing less and less output from them, and what is being made is more of the same. Probably the reason the indie scene has been flourishing so much this gen.

Edited by LukeyCow

A big thing that’s been frustrating me at least is development time of these massive games. If a game performs really well, it means we might not see anything else from that developer for like 10 years. Naughty Dog is one of my favourite developers and I love most of their games, but no new IPs from them in an entire generation hurts. Uncharted 4 and TLOU are two of my favourites, but I want something new. Same for Insomniac, my favourite developer. I loved Spider-Man, but I don’t want them to be making mainly Spider-Man games for the next 5 years, let alone longer... Gone are the days when we would get an entire trilogy plus other games from a single developer in a generation. Such creative and talented developers, but with how long these massive games take to make these days, we’re seeing less and less output from them, and what is being made is more of the same. Probably the reason the indie scene has been flourishing so much this gen.

I was coming to this thread to make a similar point. One thing that really stood out this gen is the lack of brand new AAA IPs that made a genuine impact. The IPs that you instantly think of when reflecting on the gen. That began and grew within that gen (like Uncharted and Gears last gen for example). I'm looking at my trophy list now, and it feels like 3/4 games I played this gen were sequels, remakes, remasters, or spinoffs. And nearly all of the games I'm looking forward to now fall in line with those categories. In a lot of cases, I definitely don't mind as there are still plenty of series I love and like seeing continue. But this is a big reason why this gen felt more like a continuation rather than a leap, you know? Why things are starting to feel stale right now. Because there hasn't been much new that we eagerly want to be invested in. And it doesn't help that some older series are starting to wrap up/go dormant (Uncharted, Metal Gear, Telltale TWD).

I can relate to what you say. However I do think this has that much to do with practices of the gaming companies but more with how we gamers develop as human beings. Even if you're a long time gamer you won't be able to always put that much time and focus into gaming and truth be told, if you're not a professional gamer you shouldn't put too much time and energy it in the first place.

Of course I cannot tell you about you have to feel but from my personal experience I can totally tell you that there are phases in which I'm taking huge breaks from gaming, like sometimes literally for years. Sometimes because life/time just doesn't allow it and other times because I just don't feel it. But that does not mean that I think gaming has gotten worse or anything. It just means that there's other things in life more important to me than gaming for which I am very thankful. But I always come back to it when the time is right. So if it is any similar for you then go ahead and take your break if you really feel like it. You shouldn't feel obliged to keep gaming. Eventually you'll get back to it when you feel the desire to do so. And IMO that's the best reason to get into gaming. ;)

However if getting older and having other priorities is not the issue here and you instead really see a problem with the direction of gaming (which I can also related to) then try looking at it from another perspective. Wouldn't this be the perfect opportunity to play older games that you have ignored so far because of the next big thing? Again I can only speak for myself but if you check my trophy list you'll see I've only have 90 games played and yet I've been having nine other games at home for years and a wish list of 104 other games I would like to play at some point. Some of these games are actually HD versions of games I didn't play on the PS2 or PS1 so yeah if there would be no new games coming out I'd still have years to fill with my backlog. XD

Also I can't help but chuckle at this part of your post:

Sony was this long before a PlayStation was even a thing. :)

I was never a professional gamer, but I have always shared a great passion for gaming. I will never be as good as a number of others out there, because there will always be someone better.

That was never my point. I have done gaming as an enjoyable hobby. It's no different from someone who enjoys doing watercolor paintings, cooking and finding new recipes, remixing songs together, etc etc. Finding that passion in your life and loving it is a good thing.

I've played countless systems in my life. I got a GOG.com account, Steam account, Xbox Live account and others. So I'm not short of games to play if I happen to quit or move away from Sony.

This isn't to say I'm not interested in games that came out this year. Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry V and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice are all very tempting games that I plan to play at some point. Not to mention the dozens of indies that came from Steam or have been released not too long ago that still feel fresh.

But the direction the gaming industry is taking as a whole, isn't looking all too good. I've had several friends of mine in real life express this as well, some of whom have been gaming since the NES days who feel it has gotten boring.

You're only played 90 games. That isn't much. I have over 300 titles and I don't come even close to the amount of variety that can be had if I were to try out more games.

I'm just expressing an accumulation of feelings, and I'm far from alone in what I feel overall. If the PlayStation 5 turns out to be the greatest console ever, then that's awesome.

But the lack of competition, Sony's domination of the console market, and a general lack of innovation leads me to think AAA games are starting to feel stale. Graphics are great, but there needs to be a lot more than shiny 4K visuals to truly move the industry forward.

IMO some of the greatest games ever came out during this gen, so I'm feeling the complete opposite, however I do agree that there are many, many bad elements to the gaming industry nowadays. Sometimes it may seem like the negatives outweigh the positives but there are plenty of great games out there still.

I'll be happy so long as great single player experiences continue to exist. If the entire industry shifts to the games as a service model and single player games get killed off completely then that's when I'll pack it in and pick up a new hobby.

IMO some of the greatest games ever came out during this gen, so I'm feeling the complete opposite, however I do agree that there are many, many bad elements to the gaming industry nowadays. Sometimes it may seem like the negatives outweigh the positives but there are plenty of great games out there still.

I'll be happy so long as great single player experiences continue to exist. If the entire industry shifts to the games as a service model and single player games get killed off completely then that's when I'll pack it in and pick up a new hobby.

^this.

I love gaming more than ever and some of my favourite games of all time have come out this generation. I don't long for the days of Crash and Spyro and other child-like games. Gaming has grown up and so have I and I'm loving it.

Saying that, time to game is an issue. I'm 34 tomorrow (mid-thirties!!!), just bought a house and next year will be getting married and starting to look at having kids. I'm already playing games that are seven years old so I'm going to get further and further behind. But at least when I do get to playing older games, they're dirt cheap. :D

Saying that, time to game is an issue. I'm 34 tomorrow (mid-thirties!!!), just bought a house and next year will be getting married and starting to look at having kids. I'm already playing games that are seven years old so I'm going to get further and further behind. But at least when I do get to playing older games, they're dirt cheap. :D

This sums it up quite nicely for me, apart from the turning 34 bit as I'm not quite that old yet ;).

I turn 30 in April and will be getting married in 2021 and then not long after will be having kids. Even though it's still a little bit of a way off I'm expecting my available time to game to be minimal. I have no intentions of quitting gaming as I still enjoy it and have still so many games to play on current gen and some from PS3 that even if less than 5 new games came out per year I'm interested in, I'd still be set for years.

Yeh, some good points discussed/mentioned here. I enjoy gaming like most do and its more like a good/bad habit now which i’d struggle initially to give up, if I was considering it. I do wish (still can) that the time I channel into gaming i’d put into better use, like learning how to play instruments, keeping fitter and generally doing other things, but its a big routine player for me now of which i’m a sucker for and just do it.... well because.

AAA games come and go and I jump on the ones I fancy at launch usually and it helps for trophies now as guides are available day one, but yeh the formula it seems for these games now regardless of genre feels stale and is in need of an overhaul, despite having played some absolute gems on PS4.

I actually thought what the removal of trophies would be like and if it would be a good thing, as games with collectibles/xp grind etc would be played at your own pace and probably with more fun and less care, as apposed to the tedium of watching videos and being as careful and vigilant as possible which can imo ruin the overall experience and pace of games.

I don’t think i’ll quit anytime soon and the PS5 intrigues me. If they sacked it off tomorrow though, the amount of games I have still to play on 3 & 4, i’d be still playing them in about 2 years time! It’s an interesting transitional time now and maybe the PS5 will be the last console I buy??

time to game is an issue. I'm 34 tomorrow (mid-thirties!!!), just bought a house and next year will be getting married and starting to look at having kids. I'm already playing games that are seven years old so I'm going to get further and further behind. But at least when I do get to playing older games, they're dirt cheap. :D

Thought you were just over 40 pal.... :think:

Oh aye mate, whatever time you have now, enjoy it and don’t take it for granted, because as soon as kids come, even if you make time or think you have time, it’ll be gone. Literally a game changer having kids, running a home and marriage etc. You’ll be right i’m sure but enjoy what ‘free time’ you have now.

I've been thinking myself about the PS5 being the last console for me.

I'm going to turn 40 in February. So by the end of the PS5's lifecycle, I'll be 47 or 48. Hopefully I'll have some other hobbies to occupy my time by then.

Plus, like others have said, I don't like the way the industry has been heading, and I feel like it's only going to get worse. Microtransactions, live services, digital distribution, etc. That stuff isn't for me.

Well.... I would never stop Playing but i agree that the Current Gen wich will End Next Year has some Problems.

- The Lack of New IP's

- The Remaster Wave and its no End in Sight

- The Reboot/Remake Wave...

- The Huge Indie Games amount who has Sony Focusing for the First 4 Years.

- The incredible Long Time to finish a Game in a "playable" Format

- Patches, Updates and Installments thats greater than the actual Game

Sony say they will Focus on Story Games for the PS5 and the Faster Install and silent Cooler Fans are a PLUS too. It can't be getting worse'er :D

Earlier this year I lamented about how new games just don't excite me anymore. There are a ton of games I just completely ignore for reasons we did not have 15 years ago, or rarely saw even 10 years ago. Microtransactions, glitches, poor performance, and an array of unnecessary DLC making each new AAA game feel like work rather than play. The only game I even got remotely excited for was the announcement of Borderlands 3. That game ended up being extremely poor with menu performance, has a season pass that makes the game cost $85 instead of $60, and just didn't come anywhere close to my expectations. With that in mind, it makes it even harder to be excited for the few games coming in 2020 that I'm excited about. I still won't even say the Final Fantasy VII is my most anticipated game despite growing up on it and even naming my PSN after poor Aerith. I'm just afraid it will be another poor performing half-ass attempt to get us to shell out $60, especially with the game saying it will release in parts. We aren't even paying for a full game!!!

On the flipside, I don't see myself quitting gaming any time soon. There are still dozens of games I want to play, and not enough time to get around to them. Small indie games or, as shrapx stated, "C's and D's" that fly under everyone's radar that I think will be fun to play. Going into a game with low expectations (or none formulated at all) and then being blown the fuck away by it is what keeps me playing. Purchasing stuff for real money is 100% optional in most games and the choice to not spend a dime is always there. I can also wait until a game gets cheap and DLC goes on sale if need be, there will always be an influx of stuff to play in the meantime.

- The incredible Long Time to finish a Game in a "playable" Format

I was just wondering to myself today: WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH SHOVEL KNIGHT! I (P) that three or four years ago, and we are still waiting for the final DLC to drop. Edit: I say that and just learned it released last week. Ok...

AAA development sucks ass. If I even cared at all for the reboot of Final Fantasy VII, it won't be done until I qualify for social security... Bloodstained, a fantastic indie, was a great game but even that had a huge development time. And launched with issues.

On THAT note, why is it that companies can shit out a Modern Warefare every year but SE takes a decade to release a fucked up, terrible Final Fantasy? Do they not own a multimedia empire? They don't just do games, they do merch, anime, manga... Lots of stuff.

Back in the day, you could buy a complete game. That worked about as well as they do now with NO patches and all the content unlockable in the game without spending on season passes and glorified digital lottery tickets. Ah, those were the days :pout:

I'm gonna wait to find out for sure what the fuss on PS5 is gonna be about. I pretty much guarantee it will launch with nothing of personal value.

Edited by shrapx

Gaming is a double edged sword for me these days. Ever since last gen, becoming a trophy hunter...I've been MORE invested in video games than I EVER was as a kid...and I've been gaming for nearly 30 years. Pre-Gen 7...it was more I found what I liked and stuck with it...if a sequel came out, then even better...but I missed out of SOOOO many games because of this mentality...things I've seen people just here talk about with such fondness that I never looked twice at for one reason or another (I'm stubborn).

So I truly believe I've played some of the best game of my life in this gen and last, because trophy hunting and PS+ allowed me to branch out into other avenues I wasn't looking at in the PS2 days and before.

It also probably helps that I love open world games...they're my favorite. So I don't have this same fatigue on them like most people in this thread seem to have. I want open worlds to get even bigger. I still have this dream of getting a LITERAL Open World...a 1:1 scale Earth we can completely roam around in with fully realized, life like countries, states and cities. So the bigger the better I say.

But...on the other hand. I hate everything else gaming right now is doing. Microtransactions, loot boxes, companies doing anything they possibly can to continuously squeeze money people don't have, out of them (but this isn't just gaming...the world as a whole is fucked on this idea right now). And I completely hate that this gen showed Sony and Microsoft that people are totally okay with mid-cycle upgraded consoles...that people are willing to shell out another $400-$500 in 2-3 years just to get a marginal upgrade to their hardware. I hate that companies like EA really think Single Player is dead (we haven't heard their response to Fallen Order doing so well), and that everything needs to be this hollow shell of a Multiplayer "experience".

So yeah...while I have played some truly amazing games this gen alone (and usually they're the big AAA heavy hitters everyone always talks about)...everything else about this industry is pushing me away. I don't even know how to approach the PS5 right now...aside from the fact that I never buy a console at launch, I am 1000% sure we're getting some kind of PS5 Pro...and on top of that, I'm 99.9% sure we're getting an upgrade to THAT. So I don't even know what to do...I'm not shelling out $500 for a console, only to be told in a year or 2 that I was a giant fucking sucker and there's a better version of it coming...that's not what console gaming is supposed to be about.

There's a good chance this could be the end for me as well...but it's not because of the games, if anything most games have gotten BETTER with time (the overall game itself...needing patches and what not is still a problem). It's because of the industry dipping it's toes in the revenue pool, realized people are willing to pay anything for something slightly better or to get ahead of someone else, then going completely overboard with it.

Edited by TheViper4Life