Some general questions

Ivotas

Hey guys, I'll be moving to Japan in a month and I've got a questions I'd like to clarify in this context. But since I have a couple of other questions too remotely tied to it, I'll just use this thread to ask everything here instead of creating several threads (just in case you wonder what some of the questions have to do with Japan). So here it goes.

1. I want to take my PS3 and PS4 with me. Now I know that I could just use an adapter to have a power connection. But my question would be if it is possible to use Japanese PS3 respectively PS4 power cables? In other words is the entry port for the power cables the same worldwide?

2. I won't be taking my consoles with me the first month (don't even know when I can send them over) so if it takes too long I wouldn't want to lose my PSPlus service. Can pay for the next year of PSPlus membership right now to extend it or does it have to be when it is about to run out?

3. Will it be a problem that I'm playing on a German PSN account in Japan?

4. Unrelated to Japan - It's about trophies for collection games. For instance the Bioshock collection on PS4 which features all three games. If I run the disk will it immediately install all three trophy sets on my account or just the ones of the games I actually play? I ask this because I've already played Bioshock 1 on the PS3 and don't want to have the PS4 trophy list on my account (since I don't want to plat it again). Or to ask differently, can I only have Bioshock 2 and Infinite trophy lists on my account when I launch the disk?

Well that's about it. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.^^

Hey guys, I'll be moving to Japan in a month and I've got a questions I'd like to clarify in this context. But since I have a couple of other questions too remotely tied to it, I'll just use this thread to ask everything here instead of creating several threads (just in case you wonder what some of the questions have to do with Japan). So here it goes.

1. I want to take my PS3 and PS4 with me. Now I know that I could just use an adapter to have a power connection. But my question would be if it is possible to use Japanese PS3 respectively PS4 power cables? In other words is the entry port for the power cables the same worldwide?

2. I won't be taking my consoles with me the first month (don't even know when I can send them over) so if it takes too long I wouldn't want to lose my PSPlus service. Can pay for the next year of PSPlus membership right now to extend it or does it have to be when it is about to run out?

3. Will it be a problem that I'm playing on a German PSN account in Japan?

4. Unrelated to Japan - It's about trophies for collection games. For instance the Bioshock collection on PS4 which features all three games. If I run the disk will it immediately install all three trophy sets on my account or just the ones of the games I actually play? I ask this because I've already played Bioshock 1 on the PS3 and don't want to have the PS4 trophy list on my account (since I don't want to plat it again). Or to ask differently, can I only have Bioshock 2 and Infinite trophy lists on my account when I launch the disk?

Well that's about it. Feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.^^

1: You will need to buy a voltage converter and cables, plus a plug that is compatible with JP sockets, else you run the risk of frying your console.

2: It doesn't matter when you get it, because the extra time will just get added onto whatever you have left.

3: No.

4: If I remember right, the lists only install when you boot up the respective games from the in-game selection menu but don't quote on me on it - because it has been years since I installed all 3 games for the first time :think:.

Edited by Terminator
Update.

1: You will need to by a voltage converter and cables, plus a plug that is compatible with JP sockets, else you run the risk of frying your console.

Thanks for the reply on all the questions. 2 - 4 are pretty much covered but #1 is now causing me a headache. So just a Japanese plug cable wouldn't be enough because I guess it would be too much volt that gets pumped into my consoles. That's a pity because I have no idea about voltage converters and cables. So far everytime I was in Japan it was enough to have an adapter to be able to charge my phones and whatnot but a console is a whole different beast I guess. :(

Thanks for the reply on all the questions. 2 - 4 are pretty much covered but #1 is now causing me a headache. So just a Japanese plug cable wouldn't be enough because I guess it would be too much volt that gets pumped into my consoles. That's a pity because I have no idea about voltage converters and cables. So far everytime I was in Japan it was enough to have an adapter to be able to charge my phones and whatnot but a console is a whole different beast I guess. :(

Here's an easy to follow Guide for what you need :): https://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/guidance/advice-for-you/when-travelling/travel-adaptor-for-japan/

Thank you very much. Unfortunally this is where my English skills reach their limit. Too much specific mumbo jumbo for me to make sense of anything.

This sucks because the electric stores here in Germany don't know anything about what they are selling. I remember the first time I went to Japan they sold me adaptors that are not used in Japan. Once I got back and complained they said that they are for Japan and I said no, I've been there and neither of the two types used in Japan works with that adaptor. Still thanks for helping. Guess no consoles for me in Japan then.

Edit: Ok, I've checked around a bit more in hope to make sense of this. Hope you or somebody else can confirm this. In connection to what your link said in Japan the supply is 100V but in Germany there's a supply from 230V. Which means the supply is lower so it shouldn't fry my console right? If the supply was higher it would be a problem I guess. I hope I got at least this part right because from here on I could expand my next point.^^

Edited by Ivotas

I just finished the first BioShock on PS4. Now I have the digital version of it, so I don't know if the Disc version is different. But it came as 2 separate downloads...1 and 2 are bundled together and Infinite is entirely separate from them...but playing the first game, only the first game is loaded on my trophy list.

Unlike say, the Spyro collection that added all three games to the list every time I synced my trophies. But even then, you can delete 0% list from the PS4, so it was never a huge deal.

I just finished the first BioShock on PS4. Now I have the digital version of it, so I don't know if the Disc version is different. But it came as 2 separate downloads...1 and 2 are bundled together and Infinite is entirely separate from them...but playing the first game, only the first game is loaded on my trophy list.

That's good to know. I know I often say how I cannot play fps which is true but the entire athmosphere of Bioshock really sucked me in that I feel the urge to make an expection here. But I wouldn't like to have the same game twice stuck at 98%.^^'

Unlike say, the Spyro collection that added all three games to the list every time I synced my trophies. But even then, you can delete 0% list from the PS4, so it was never a huge deal.

But will it be gone from PSN or just from the PS4 trophy list?

That's good to know. I know I often say how I cannot play fps which is true but the entire athmosphere of Bioshock really sucked me in that I feel the urge to make an expection here. But I wouldn't like to have the same game twice stuck at 98%.^^'

But will it be gone from PSN or just from the PS4 trophy list?

PSN. PSNP pulls data from PSN...and I know the lists never appeared there when I deleted them.

Edit: Ok, I've checked around a bit more in hope to make sense of this. Hope you or somebody else can confirm this. In connection to what your link said in Japan the supply is 100V but in Germany there's a supply from 230V. Which means the supply is lower so it shouldn't fry my console right? If the supply was higher it would be a problem I guess. I hope I got at least this part right because from here on I could expand my next point.^^

The power supply in almost all modern electronics is "universal", meaning it is designed to operate from 100-240V and a frequency of 50-60Hz. With this kind of power supply, all you need is a power cord or adapter that will fit the sockets used in any given country.

The PS4 has a universal power supply. You can use a PS4 from your country in any other country, provided you can plug it in. It's a good thing to have a universal power supply in Japan because different parts of Japan provide electricity at different frequencies. In some places it's 50Hz, and in other places it's 60Hz.

I don't know if the PS3 has a universal power supply. I would assume it does, but I'm just guessing.

The power supply in almost all modern electronics is "universal", meaning it is designed to operate from 100-240V and a frequency of 50-60Hz. With this kind of power supply, all you need is a power cord or adapter that will fit the sockets used in any given country.

The PS4 has a universal power supply. You can use a PS4 from your country in any other country, provided you can plug it in. It's a good thing to have a universal power supply in Japan because different parts of Japan provide electricity at different frequencies. In some places it's 50Hz, and in other places it's 60Hz.

I don't know if the PS3 has a universal power supply. I would assume it does, but I'm just guessing.

Thanks for the info. That's amazing news. So I guess I'll let the console be sent after me then.^^

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, got another question so why start a new thread if I got this one right here.^^

Is there a limit to how many PS3s you can connect your account with? I mean so far I've had only two PS3s. I bought my second one after my first account broke. I'm still using my second one but since I'll be moving to Japan next week I will not be taking the PS3 with me and I will also not let it be sent after me because I don't trust the post offices to treat it carefully. And I have no idea when my friends are who could take it with them might come to visit me.

So I was planning to rent a PS3 in Japan and continue to clean some of my games up there. But I do seem to remember that I cannot use my profile on an infinite amount of consoles. I think to believe that my "Ivotas" account can only be connected to three consoles at max. Does this still apply or have things changed over the years?

I ask this because with the PS4 it seems that people have used their accounts on way more consoles than just three. So I'm really hoping that there's no issue.

Anyways TLDR: I used my "Ivotas" account on two PS3s already. Can I use my account on a third PS3 which I would rent? And what's more if I should feel the need to rent a PS3 again it might be a different (a fourth) console. Could I use my account on this one too? I'd really be grateful for some feedback on that matter.:o

Edited by Ivotas

Hey guys, got another question so why start a new thread if I got this one right here.^^

Is there a limit to how many PS3s you can connect your account with? I mean so far I've had only two PS3s. I bought my second one after my first account broke. I'm still using my second one but since I'll be moving to Japan next week I will not be taking the PS3 with me and I will also not let it be sent after me because I don't trust the post offices to treat it carefully. And I have no idea when my friends are who could take it with them might come to visit me.

So I was planning to rent a PS3 in Japan and continue to clean some of my games up there. But I do seem to remember that I cannot use my profile on an infinite amount of consoles. I think to believe that my "Ivotas" account can only be connected to three consoles at max. Does this still apply or have things changed over the years?

I ask this because with the PS4 it seems that people have used their accounts on way more consoles than just three. So I'm really hoping that there's no issue.

Anyways TL:DR: I used my "Ivotas" account on two PS3s already. Can I use my account on a third PS3 which I would rent? And what's more if I should feel the need to rent a PS3 again it might be a different (a fourth) console. Could I use my account on this one too? I'd really be grateful for some feedback on that matter.:o

You can have 64 accounts total but only 3 or 4 active ones, before you have to start deactivating the accounts you're not using any more.

You can have 64 accounts total but only 3 or 4 active ones, before you have to start deactivating the accounts you're not using any more.

Are we talking about accounts or consoles here? My worry is if I can use my account on any PS3 or it'll say something along the lines of "This account cannot be connected to this console. That account has been connected to too many consoles already". Hope I was able to explain what I mean.

Are we talking about accounts or consoles here? My worry is if I can use my account on any PS3 or it'll say something along the lines of "This account cannot be connected to this console. That account has been connected to too many consoles already". Hope I was able to explain what I mean.

Yes to both.

You can have 64 PSN accounts on 1 PS3 but after making 3 or 4 of them, you will get an error message that says you have to deactivate a previous account before you can make another one.

Yes to both.

You can have 64 PSN accounts on 1 PS3 but after making 3 or 4 of them, you will get an error message that says you have to deactivate a previous account before you can make another one.

That's really good to know. Then I guess I'll just take my games with me and play rent a PS3 at my new home as I've got all the save game data uploaded to the cloud. As always, thanks for the feedback mate.^^

• 1 year later...
On 11/26/2019 at 6:55 PM, Alindawyl said:

Hey guys, sorry to revive my old thread but I now have another question related to the things I've posted here. I now live in Japan and both my German consoles, PS3 and PS4 work fine without a voltage converter as you guys said. However now I'm considering to ask my parents to send me my PS2 over here too. And now I wonder if it actually does need a voltage converter because a PS2 is very old technology. Anybody can provide any infos on that?

10 minutes ago, Ivotas said:

Hey guys, sorry to revive my old thread but I now have another question related to the things I've posted here. I now live in Japan and both my German consoles, PS3 and PS4 work fine without a voltage converter as you guys said. However now I'm considering to ask my parents to send me my PS2 over here too. And now I wonder if it actually does need a voltage converter because a PS2 is very old technology. Anybody can provide any infos on that?

It's not so much the age of the technology as it is what the power supply is calibrated for.  See here for more details: https://www.ps2home.co.uk/ps2-import-faq/

On 2/14/2021 at 2:10 PM, Terminator said:

It's not so much the age of the technology as it is what the power supply is calibrated for.  See here for more details: https://www.ps2home.co.uk/ps2-import-faq/

Thanks mate. Unfortunally the relevant part there only mentions the opposite part of what I need. It says that the UK (and most likely the EU) electricity runs at a higher voltage and would thus fry an imported console which means a step down converter would be required. I on the other hand plan to use an EU PS2 with the Japanese voltage. Does such a thing like a step up converter exist?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 9:57 AM, Ivotas said:

I see. Well I will see what I can find then and decide if it's worth it. Thank you very much for your feedback as always.^^

If your PS2 has a cable with no power brick on it, then you'd definitely need a step up converter. All of those PS2s have a fixed power supply.

If your PS2 has a power brick on the cable, then it may have a universal power supply. You can check the brick to see what's on the label. If it's a universal power supply, it'll say something like 100-240V instead of saying 230V.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Alindawyl said:

If your PS2 has a cable with no power brick on it, then you'd definitely need a step up converter. All of those PS2s have a fixed power supply.

If your PS2 has a power brick on the cable, then it may have a universal power supply. You can check the brick to see what's on the label. If it's a universal power supply, it'll say something like 100-240V instead of saying 230V.

I see. Sadly I don't remember that anymore so I would have to check that if I actually get my family to send the PS2 after me. But either way that's valuable information for once I can actually check. Thank you very much^^

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the double post but I got a somewhat updated question on the first post. I've been using my European PS3 & PS4 here in Japan now without any problem. Just as you guys said both have a universal power supply so a power up/down converter is not necessary. The only thing I need is a Japanese plug to be able to use my European power cord. This is where my new question comes in. Could I actually use a Japanese power cord on a European Playstation? I'm really just talking about the cable now. I already can confirm that both my consoles run smoothly here. I was just wondering if I can "cut the middle man" which in this case would be the plug and connect my consoles to the power supply directly.

Just curious about this as I find the plug a minor inconvenience but nothing game breaking. From my noobish understanding a power cable shouldn't not be an issue at all but better to be safe than sorry. So as always, feedback would be much appreciated.^^