Sad Confirmation: "Supernova" trophy doesn't trigger with "Sunburn" ending.

kiwidust

Spent a few hours using speedrun techniques to complete the game on Supernova difficulty. These cut out enormous sections of the game and usually end with the "Sunburn" ending which cuts out even more.

Basically, you can fairly easily complete the game in about an hour (speed runners are hitting 12 minutes or so).

Although I did this on "Supernova" difficulty, the trophy for the same didn't pop. I don't know what the specific requirements are, but I assume that you have to, at least, complete the prison.

On the positive side, using this save I've just parked the Hope next to Phineas at level seven! Haven't tried scamming my way through the prison (don't think'll be possible), but that's next. Otherwise, it'll be some time power leveling.

Coincidentally enough I also tried out Speedrun strats on Supernova today. And was able to get the trophy for completing it by sneaking/talking my way through the prison. My character was only lvl 11 and I used a maxed Persuade build(along with high sneak/lockpick). Sided with Phineas and spared members of The Board.

Should add that I had Felix/Ellie in my party(to help offset the deficit of skill points). But honestly they aren't needed if you use skill reset to take advantage of dialogue options. And use whatever consumables you have to help. Can definitely see this being done at an even lower lvl than mine.

Doesn't traversing Monarch without fast-travel for the quests there take at least half an hour even if you run past every fight?

To complete the game, there's actually no reason to visit to Monarch at all.

Take a look at some of the speed run videos, but in (very!) brief:

1) Run directly to the ship. Yay, yer a captain!

2) Run directly to town and talk to Reed. Yay, you've got the password for the geothermal plant!

3) Run to the plant. Sneak/run to all the switches, direct the power. Run to the place you chose to screw. Yay, you've got a power converter!

4) Fast travel to the ship. Install the converter. Yay, yer in space!

5) Hit the Groundbreaker. Go right to Gladys' and steal everything from her safe (do this in TDD to complete the task, then talk your way out). Yay, you've got Udom's seal!

6) Run to Udom, chat him up and turn in Phineas. Give him his seal. Yay, you can travel to Byzantium!

7) Go there. Either fight the guards or use the pick-pocket trick on the secretary to get into the office. Yay, you've got a pass to the Ministry of Accuracy & Morale!

8) Go there, run through the labs, steal all the chemicals. Yay, you've killed people!

9) Visit Phineas, chat him up. Yay, you can travel to The Hope!

10) Visit the hope, run through there.

Now, if you character is stupid (which you could do from the beginning or via drugs/booze) you can choose the "dumb" option and drive the Hope into the sun and end the game. This is a trophy in it's own right, so it's worth doing.

If you're not suicidal, you can park the hope next to Phineas.

To sum up: I've got the Hope parked next to Phineas' lab. I've only visited the Lab, the Groundbreaker, the Hope and Terra II. I'm level 7.

From here, I've not (yet) done, but basically it's a sneak/fight at Phineas' lab to get the key to Tartarus, then Tartarus itself and game over. KayCeaEffahless, above, did this with sneak/dialog and I see no reason not to trust them that it can be done!

Can confirm that not only is Tartarus doable in a speed-ish run, but it's pretty damn easy!

I did do a few quests (the quests to get Max and Ellie on board, several quests for Junlei and a few other "talk only" quests) to reach level 10. High Dialog skills are crucial for this and level 10 gives you enough points (when added to the "Soliloquy" perk and clothing bonus) to get at least two of them to 100 and the last in the 65-70 range. "Persuasion" is should be 100 (there's a 100 persuasion check at the very end, but the rest of the checks are in the 65-80 range.

You'd get even more, I believe, by topping charm and intelligence on the character (my character was "dumb" for the original run and the reset machine only resets skill points and perks, not attributes).

As long as you talk your way into the prison to begin with, you'll have the hologuise while there. There's plenty of time to run through each area with the three chances you get and two set-piece fights that can be avoided with speech checks.

The only fight I HAD to do was the one at Phineas' lab (there could be a way to sneak through it as well, but I didn't find it quickly). It's only four soldiers, so isn't bad at all - a basic shotgun made it downright easy.

So, using the roadmap I gave above and assuming you've set up the character correctly (all dialog). Getting the "Supernova" (and "Hard" trophy, as they stack) can be easily done in about an hour or so.

• 1 year later...

If you're following the pacifist speedrun video for supernova then you can most certainly earn sunburn along the way. The only caveat is that you'll need to reload your last save to redo that portion again, which if you're saving regularly on your ship should only take a minute to get back to. 

Ah, my bad, I misread the title. But if you're following the pacifist speedrun video then it doesn't make a huge difference as that's near the very end of the run anyway so you don't have a whole lot to do at that point. 

Edited by The Alchemist