Windows: Launching a program question

shrapx

I have a question, I'm not sure how to word it. I've done some internet searching and haven't got close to what I'm looking for.

I do a lot of 3D modeling, so I am jumping between folders, files, etc all the time.

Let's say I want to open 3 different files. I'll go through, click on them to open each one.

Here is the problem. I WANT TO CHOOSE WHAT WINDOW I AM IN AT ALL TIMES. Windows has this habit of pushing everything to the top. I want to stay where I am, in the window I am in, until I select the other file.

The reason is, I might be working in one file, getting ready to copy or do something in the other to link them together, or make changes or whatever, but Windows says "Nuhuh, you're going over there" so I do, then ANOTHER window takes over. Or I open a file, then go to the browser to look for other files I need until my editor opens up and gets in the way. Now I gotta do all that pointy clicky shit to get back to doing what I want to do and become the active window/app.

I always feel like I am 5 steps ahead. It's not a bid deal, but it's annoying. I'd like to turn this off. I want the files to open, the programs to launch, I just don't want them to push to the top.

Any thoughts? I think I looked into this before, and came to the conclusion it's not doable.

Note: Everything I am opening is intentional, not malware or none of that.

Edited by shrapx

• 2 months later...

I'm just seeing this now (:o), sorry for the super late response. Perhaps you've already figured it out, or just moved on.

As far as I know, there is no simple way to keep a single window on top at all times. I think there are some programs out there that have a "always on top" option (iTunes, Windows Media Player, Process Explorer, etc.) , but there's no general setting available for any application.

I found a website that actually answers your exact question, posted days after you posted here!

3 Ways to Keep a Window Always on Top

AutoHotKey has been around for a few years now.

I'm just seeing this now (:o), sorry for the super late response. Perhaps you've already figured it out, or just moved on.

As far as I know, there is no simple way to keep a single window on top at all times. I think there are some programs out there that have a "always on top" option (iTunes, Windows Media Player, Process Explorer, etc.) , but there's no general setting available for any application.

I found a website that actually answers your exact question, posted days after you posted here!

3 Ways to Keep a Window Always on Top

AutoHotKey has been around for a few years now.

I don't think Auto on top is the solution. If I open 3 different sketchup files (which is the issue because of the time it takes to open a file) any one of those are in the same program but different windows. I don't want to force one to the top, I want to want to bitch slap every app minimized and not taking over whatever I am working in.

Actually, I am hoping a PC upgrade will minimize this. If the app launches immediately, as is reported with an NVMe solid state drive, then the issue solves itself. That's a little down the road, though.

The rub on Sketchup is that opening a file will force it to top 2 or 3 different times in the process. I could be (and want to be) doing other things during that time. Usually, it is something like I am making a change in one file and want to either copy something from one or include it as a component or something like that. But it happens a lot.

Edited by shrapx

I don't think Auto on top is the solution. If I open 3 different sketchup files (which is the issue because of the time it takes to open a file) any one of those are in the same program but different windows. I don't want to force one to the top, I want to want to bitch slap every app minimized and not taking over whatever I am working in.

Actually, I am hoping a PC upgrade will minimize this. If the app launches immediately, as is reported with an NVMe solid state drive, then the issue solves itself. That's a little down the road, though.

The rub on Sketchup is that opening a file will force it to top 2 or 3 different times in the process. I could be (and want to be) doing other things during that time. Usually, it is something like I am making a change in one file and want to either copy something from one or include it as a component or something like that. But it happens a lot.

Yeah, there's no default way to prevent applications from opening in the foreground.

The only workaround I know of is to keep the windows you want "on top". It looks like DeskPins will allow you to pin more than one window on top, so if you have 3 different Sketchup instances running, you can pin those 3 until the new window you want launches.

Not the most ingenious way of doing it but an option nonetheless until you get that SSD.