Moon Knight (Disney+)

WolverineUncanny

Worried that Marvel's lineup of Disney+ TV shows was too heavily focused on leaning on characters you already knew about from the MCU movies? Well, fear not, true believer, because there's a Moon Knight TV series coming to Disney+. No details are currently available other than the fact that the series is in development. The Moon Knight TV series was revealed by Kevin Feige at the D23 Expo. Moon Knight was created by Doug Moench and Don Perlin and first appeared, appropriately enough, in the pages of Marvel's Werewolf by Night series in 1975.

Moon Knight is Marc Spector, a former mercenary and adventurer who becomes the avatar of the Egyptian moon god Khonshu after some archaeological misadventuring. Think of Spector at that point in his life as kind of an even more morally questionable Indiana Jones. With the wealth he accrued through questionable means, Spector turns to crimefighting (as one does), designs a ridiculously cool costume, and then spends most of his publishing career being compared to a half-assed Batman. Despite that, the character has endured for over 40 years, supporting his own ongoing series numerous times, and counting comics luminaries like Bill Sienkiewicz, Warren Ellis, Alex Maleev, and Brian Michael Bendis among the many who have told his stories.

Moon Knight is one of the few superheroes who has struggled with mental illness during his career, as well, at one point believing that his entire superheroic life had been a hallucination. That would be quite an angle for a series to open on, if Marvel Studios and Disney were to go that way. All I'm saying is that Werewolf by Night had better show up at some point, though. It's only fair.

Edited by Gage

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Gage changed the title to Moon Knight (Disney+)
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Absolutely loved the first episode. The way Marvel put us, the audience, in the same place of unknown as Steven was brilliant. 

Unless this show just tapers off in the rest of the episodes...I think Moon Knight is going to be the next big thing for Marvel. People are about to adore this character. 

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, AshtimusPrime said:

Binged the five episodes the last day or so and @Darth_Krid is right, this is the best Marvel show by far. Enjoying every moment.

Of course, will see how the last one goes. Two days to wait. :(

Just shows how wasted Oscar Isaac was in Star Wars.

Marvel don't make it easy to retire from watching them. For every Black Widow or Eternals there's a No Way Home, and for every Falcon/Winter there's something like Moon Knight. Every episode was gold and a fascinating watch. It was interesting, it was funny, it was dark, and it was outright heart-breaking. Seriously, his back story was a dagger to the heart. Whoever was writing this Marvel need to stick with them!

I wonder how this mixes in with the wider MCU, but I kind of liked that there were no obvious other MCU mentions or references. It was nice to have this just be its own adventure without any other interference.

I will throw some criticism for how MK defeated Harrow with a blackout that we don't see. I guess we're supposed to accept the third personality is that good, but it seemed like a cop out as it appeared like an unwinnable situation.

Still need to watch What If...?, but it's an easy update:

1. Moon Knight
  2. WandaVision
  3. Loki
  4. Hawkeye
  5. The Falcon and The Winter Soldier
  • Like 1

I've been keeping up with this since announcement, and I still ended up forgetting it was a limited series. I guess that's a testament to how engrossed I was by it. I am not a big Marvel fan by any means. Spider-Man is my favorite hero of Marvel, so I go out of my way to watch those, but I only watched the MCU films up to the first Avengers then saw others here and there like Ant-Man 1 & 2, Thor Ragnarok, Doctor Strange, Civil War, and Guardians of the Galaxy 1 & 2. I haven't seen any of the shows either.

However, I can easily say I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Moon Knight was a hero I always had an interest in, and had seen/read some stuff here and there. It was very cool to see him portrayed on screen, and I thought Oscar Isaac did a fantastic job. I really hope they start to consider a season 2 because I would definitely watch it.

Posted (edited)

Okay, I'm a little conflicted after watching the finale. The show as a whole was fantastic...but I'm also easy to please when it comes to the MCU, we're 14 years in on this journey and I haven't been let down once (though I fear that could change with Ms. Marvel). And that's not hyperbole...34 entries in and everything has been decent to incredible to some of the best entertainment I've ever experienced. But...I can't help but feel like this show would have benefitted from 2 or 3 more episodes.

The finale felt a little rushed and even with the after credits scene, it's hard to imagine how the character now fits into the wider MCU. See, I'm not like everyone else...I DON'T like that they didn't tie this into the MCU more. The most we got was the little girl asking Layla if she was an Egyptian Superhero (which suggests the world knows all about superheroes). I like the tie ins, I like that it all works together within itself...it's part of what makes the MCU so amazing. I mean I can't believe we still haven't harkened back to Loki's finale yet...what happened there is a big deal and the fact that the overall MCU doesn't seem to be affected by it, is strange to me (I know there's always a plan in place, and Marvel doesn't do anything without purpose, but it's taking it's sweet ass time to rear it's ugly head). 

So knowing this isn't getting a Season 2, and knowing Moon Knight will appear in a movie at some point in the future...there just feels like there's more story to tell here. I just didn't feel like it rounded itself out correctly. It felt like they were leaving you on a cliffhanger for a second season, even though they said it's not getting one. Which is why I feel like 2 or 3 more episodes, plus a small nod to the rest of the MCU, could have given us that definitiveness I feel like we didn't get. 

Because of that, I now don't know if I can place this at number 1. But everything else about this show was so strong that it's kind of hard not to. 

1. Moon Knight - 9/10

2. What If? - 9/10

3. Loki - 8.5/10

4. WandaVision - 8/10

5. Hawkeye - 7.5/10

6. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier - 7/10

Edited by Viper

36 minutes ago, AshtimusPrime said:

I really hope there is a second season. Introducing him through TV it would be weird to have a follow-up in a film. Film appearances should be in an Avengers-type way.

Well it's the point of a lot of these shows. They're acting as origin stories that need more than a 2 hour film to set up. WandaVision was the origin of Scarlet Witch (who is now in Doctor Strange 2 and there's rumors of a future Scarlet Witch movie), Falcon and Winter Solider is the origin of Sam as Captain America (Captain America 4 was announced the same day the finale aired), What If was the origin of quite a few Multiverse characters (who are supposed to make cameos at different points in time), Hawkeye was the origin of Kate Bishop (who is likely a further set up for a Young Avengers film). And now we have Moon Knight...other than a future Avengers film or even Secret Wars, hard to tell where else he could show up...I definitely think a season 2 was needed for him. If nothing else Oscar Isaac deserves some kind of best actor award. 

36 minutes ago, Viper said:

Well it's the point of a lot of these shows. They're acting as origin stories that need more than a 2 hour film to set up. WandaVision was the origin of Scarlet Witch (who is now in Doctor Strange 2 and there's rumors of a future Scarlet Witch movie), Falcon and Winter Solider is the origin of Sam as Captain America (Captain America 4 was announced the same day the finale aired), What If was the origin of quite a few Multiverse characters (who are supposed to make cameos at different points in time), Hawkeye was the origin of Kate Bishop (who is likely a further set up for a Young Avengers film). And now we have Moon Knight...other than a future Avengers film or even Secret Wars, hard to tell where else he could show up...I definitely think a season 2 was needed for him. If nothing else Oscar Isaac deserves some kind of best actor award. 

WandaVision was character development, not origin. The same with Falcon (although it was barely anything new from how it ended in Endgame). Hawkeye I suppose to an extent since it introduced a new character, but it's not quite the same to say all the shows are origin stories. Only Moon Knight really is because it's the only one that introduces and focuses on a new character.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, AshtimusPrime said:

WandaVision was character development, not origin. The same with Falcon (although it was barely anything new from how it ended in Endgame). Hawkeye I suppose to an extent since it introduced a new character, but it's not quite the same to say all the shows are origin stories. Only Moon Knight really is because it's the only one that introduces and focuses on a new character.

But they did introduce a new character. Comic book fans knew who Wanda Maximoff was...but at no point up until Agatha calls her The Scarlet Witch, was she actually that character (though originally it was because Fox owned that name). You get that moment when they ask if Wanda has a superhero alias and Woo said No. We got Wanda's origin in Age of Ultron...and WandaVision is the origin of Scarlet Witch. We had Sam before as Falcon...now we get to see his version of Captain America. His name might be the same...but Steve Rodgers Cap and Sam Wilson Cap are two different characters. The beauty of Hawkeye is the audience see's "Hawkeye" and thinks Clint...but it was ultimately Kate's show (she becomes Hawkeye in the comics).

An origin is the beginning of something...this was the start of these characters. Part of that Marvel brilliance in long term story telling.

Edited by Viper

Moon Knight's kind of weird for me. Oscar Isaac really carries this series, no doubt. But outside of the Steven-Marc dynamic, I had a tough time getting invested in it. Felt like it could've used more episodes. But that's just me. It's maybe my third favorite D+ series (I loved Hawkeye and Loki).

Oh by the way, I finally caught up on the MCU (and DCEU) haha. At the start of last year, I had only seen the first two Avengers and the first Guardians between the two universes. It's definitely a short-lived victory. Also, I don't recommend watching that many superhero movies (on a first-viewing) in a span of a year. They really blur together with how much overlap there is in settings, plot lines, motives, and dialog :rofl:

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Viper said:

An origin is the beginning of something

Far too simplistic. I could just say The Empire Strikes Back is an origin story because it shows the origin of Luke Skywalker - Jedi Knight. But really, it was the development of Luke in to a Jedi. It's mis-labelling and inaccurate to do so and the same for these shows.

Edited by AshtimusPrime