The PlayStation 5 Thread

Viper

Whatever. I'm not getting into the shitshow that is US politics and race relations, especially in this thread.

The PS5 is going to be massive news when it is revealed and that's the only reason Sony cancelled, they didn't want anything taking away from their publicity. If anyone actually thinks in this day and age that a mega corporation gives a shit about anything but themselves and their own interests, then I feel sorry for them. Such naivety. God knows when we'll see the PS5 now. Like I said, if they cancel because of this then what next? It's a digital presentation, they could have easily went ahead with it. 2020 has been non-stop Doom and gloom, some people needed this as a bit of escape from reality. It's gotten to the point we can't enjoy anything anymore.

You do understand that a decision can be morally/socially responsible and a good PR move at the same time?

------------------------------

Anyway, I don't think we will be waiting long for the reschedule - I think there will be an announcement by the end of next week and a presentation within 2 weeks after that.

While I don't know where this was going to be filmed, it might also have been difficult, dangerous, or at least awkward to have an event if there happened to be a riot going on outside the building.

As for the cause, not to turn this into a political discussion, there's a LOT of pent-up stress right now. While Floyd's death is a catalyst, it's also people pushed to the breaking point- they've been cooped up for months in lockdowns and many have lost their jobs (or probably will) so it is very much a powder keg that was just waiting to explode for any reason (since now this shit is happening even in other countries.) Kinda like how WW1 started when Franz was assassinated, but it's widely agreed the war was going to happen one way or another. (Not saying this was inevitable, but that both events are more triggers than true causes.)

Edited by stickghost

This thread is for PS5 discussion, go post your ignorant political takes on Twitter or Facebook.

Maybe we should open up a thread purely for the George Floyd riots discussion like what Sellers did with TLOU 2 spoilers? And I'm not to dismiss that some like to derail threads to up their post counts, but this is directly related to the cancellation of Sony's presentation, so I don't think it's off-topic since Sony said the cancellation was due to the riots and "wanting peoples' voices to be heard." We can't speak about something that is directly related to the PS5 announcements in the PS5 thread?

they've been cooped up for months in lockdowns.

True, we can't all be celebrities who live in disgusting opulence and excess with massive houses fitted with infinity pools. Some of us have to live in accommodation with no gardens, i.e. what Paul Joseph Watson called "high-rise rabbit hutches". No wonder so many travel to the beach. I don't blame them. Or though, I'd be a hypocrite, because if I could live that luxurious lifestyle, I most likely would no matter how much I condemn it: it's far too alluring.

Edited by mjfan97

Maybe we should open up a thread purely for the George Floyd riots discussion like what Sellers did with TLOU 2 spoilers? And I'm not to dismiss that some like to derail threads to up their post counts, but this is directly related to the cancellation of Sony's presentation, so I don't think it's off-topic since Sony said the cancellation was due to the riots and "wanting peoples' voices to be heard." We can't speak about something that is directly related to the PS5 announcements in the PS5 thread?

Already been discussed, current decision is no.

Expressing disappointment in it being delayed is relevant, extended discussion of protests and other events related to them or their cause is not relevant to PS5 discussion.

I would also suggest you not quote conspiracy theorists.

So you (Gage) can call people ignorant (which is a political statement in context) to tell people not to make political statements and that's fine, but if you're called on it you erase it?

How predictable.

Edited for clarity

Be consistent. Have your mods stop with THEIR political bs if it's an issue.

Edited by shrapx

I could be wrong, but didn't they already say that this was a game reveal ordeal, and nothing about the console or hardware was going to be revealed?

I didn't see that information anywhere. From what I understand there was meant to be gameplay footage (actual gameplay, not what Xbox did) and the reveal of the console itself, though important information such as pricing and release date were meant to be left for another time. I guess we'll see for sure though whenever they decide to reschedule the event.

IMO it's a straight up fail on Sony's behalf if they don't show the box itself. I know the design of the console isn't actually that important but the fans need something concrete to look forward to. A logo and the look of the controller at this stage isn't a lot to get hyped for if that's all we have to go on after the event takes place. We've heard all the technical jargon and boring stuff, we've seen what games could potentially look like thanks to the Unreal demo, now we need something more. I think Sony have done a great job building hype so far, but now is the time to give us the payoff we've been expecting for some months now.

Edited by The Alchemist

So you (Gage) can call people ignorant (which is a political statement in context) to tell people not to make political statements and that's fine, but if you're called on it you erase it?

How predictable.

Edited for clarity

Be consistent. Have your mods stop with THEIR political bs if it's an issue.

Ignorance statement applies to everyone. I don't think there is anyone well educated or currently informed enough, including myself, to be reasonably discussing something in the context of American race relations on a gaming forum. That's why I also refrain from being involved in political discussion unless required.

I could be wrong, but didn't they already say that this was a game reveal ordeal, and nothing about the console or hardware was going to be revealed?

The wording of the initial announcement did basically imply just games, but I think they'd likely still just show off the box along with it at the end. Not show off firmware or specifics though.

You do understand that a decision can be morally/socially responsible and a good PR move at the same time?

Exactly. With all the negativity in the world right now, do we really need to be so pessimistic about the motive behind the delay?

Can we not just take this at face value? Sony is right, now is trash time for everyone, best to let this run its course first.

As for the box reveal, let's be honest, no one here is making their decision based on the box design. I'm certainly going to be preordering it regardless, that's for sure, I just need a date and a price.

Exactly. With all the negativity in the world right now, do we really need to be so pessimistic about the motive behind the delay?

Can we not just take this at face value? Sony is right, now is trash time for everyone, best to let this run its course first.

As for the box reveal, let's be honest, no one here is making their decision based on the box design. I'm certainly going to be preordering it regardless, that's for sure, I just need a date and a price.

Seeing Sony's responses on Twitter (see spoiler) makes me feel they're actually being genuine about it. Really sticking to their guns. A rare sight to see for a big corporation like them.

[spoiler=thensayit]

pbx4n3wdbb251.jpg

I'm sorry if this is too off topic for this thread. I'll say that it's probably for the best to delay the announcement. I don't care much as I'm not really excited about the PS5, but sucks for those who were looking forward to it.

Gotta look for the silver lining buddy, at least we missed out on this whole murder hornets ordeal :francis:

I honestly believe it'll launch at the $499 price point. The PS3 launched at $599 and the customers lost their minds over the price. The PS4 launched at $399, and Sony admitted to eating costs on the consoles. I believe they'll look at the middle ground this time around.

My guess is also 500, but I've seen some statements that have me worried that it will be higher.

Also if Sony is high off of the success of the PS4 they might end up making some unfortunate and unpopular decisions.

I'm sorry if this is too off topic for this thread. I'll say that it's probably for the best to delay the announcement. I don't care much as I'm not really excited about the PS5, but sucks for those who were looking forward to it.

I agree. I'm excited for it, but I'm not phased by the delay, it's still going to come out in November, Sony won't be missing the Holiday 2020 bus for anything...

My guess is also 500, but I've seen some statements that have me worried that it will be higher.

Also if Sony is high off of the success of the PS4 they might end up making some unfortunate and unpopular decisions.

I think a lot of people would be happy if it came in at 500. Personally, I would be happy to spend even 600 if it came to that. For something you will get almost a decades use out of, it isn't really that much when you break it down. Obviously the cheaper it is the better for everyone, but I think 450-600 is reasonable enough given the tech shown thus far. You wouldn't be able to build a comparable PC for less than double that. I think Sony will be very conscious about the pricing, and it's something they have touched on, but at the same time, people need to temper their expectations. It isn't right to expect vastly superior tech for the same price or less as tech from nearly a decade ago. I've seen a lot of clickbaity headlines about the potential price but I don't understand any upset about a console coming in at 400-600, not in an age where people spend a grand on a new phone every year.

I think a lot of people would be happy if it came in at 500. Personally, I would be happy to spend even 600 if it came to that. For something you will get almost a decades use out of, it isn't really that much when you break it down. Obviously the cheaper it is the better for everyone, but I think 450-600 is reasonable enough given the tech shown thus far. You wouldn't be able to build a comparable PC for less than double that. I think Sony will be very conscious about the pricing, and it's something they have touched on, but at the same time, people need to temper their expectations. It isn't right to expect vastly superior tech for the same price or less as tech from nearly a decade ago. I've seen a lot of clickbaity headlines about the potential price but I don't understand any upset about a console coming in at 400-600, not in an age where people spend a grand on a new phone every year.

There's no way that Sony is going to risk being more expensive than MS. They're better off selling at a loss than costing more than the XB.

No way that it'll be more than $450USD.

There's no way that Sony is going to risk being more expensive than MS. They're better off selling at a loss than costing more than the XB.

No way that it'll be more than $450USD.

I hope you're right. Do you think the XSX will come in at 550 then? I do believe the XSX will be more expensive and MS are less likely to want to lose money on hardware than Sony would be, given that software wise, they don't have as much pull as Sony so are less likely to make up the revenue elsewhere.

I hope you're right. Do you think the XSX will come in at 550 then? I do believe the XSX will be more expensive and MS are less likely to want to lose money on hardware than Sony would be, given that software wise, they don't have as much pull as Sony so are less likely to make up the revenue elsewhere.

Consoles all utilise the Razor and Blades business model (also called a Gillette model), this is why Sony and MS always play cat and mouse with pricing, whoever shows their hand first, loses. It's usually better to undercut the opposition than to lose on pricing.

Consoles are the middle-man, the product they're really selling are the subs to PS+/XBL and PSNow/Gamepass. That's where the money is, the console is just the admission fee.

And now that BC is such a big part of this upcoming generation, new software is even less relevant. The 'winner' of this battle in the console wars is whoever comes out with a cheaper model, and that could be why MS has said nothing about Project Lockheart (the supposedly cheaper model of the console), that's their Ace just in case the PS5 comes out cheaper, they can bring out Lockheart at an even cheaper price.

But if the XB comes out cheaper, Lockheart may come out slightly more expensive than their worst case scenario.

For example, if MS reveals the price first at $499 and Sony reveals theirs at $399, MS can bring out Lockheart at $299 and win the price war.

However, if Sony reveals at $499 first, MS can reveal the Series X at $449, selling it at a loss, but sell Lockheart at $349 and recoup some losses on the Series X hardware.

MS is at a bit of a disadvantage, by the sounds of it the Series X does seem like the more expensive of the two, MS has more to potentially lose than Sony, but Sony have proven in the past that the model works and they're not afraid to go all in on it.

This is why they're both so cagey about revealing the price, their entire strategy relies on that one figure and they need to stick to their guns on it for the next ~7 years or so.

Sony will sure don't go overboard with the calculation price at the PS5, becaue the componetns List was allready leaked out from good old China. Yeah its somethin about 450 Dollar Costs. There will be no Proplem to lower that to the 399. Well lets see what MS says.

The Show is about 1 hrs and with a Mix from Streams and Chats with the Devloper and Gameplay of the New Games like your typical E3 Press Conference. But only focus on the Games. If this is ever streamed :D

Does the price even matter? You all know you're getting one. :p

I'm more worried about getting a desk and a comfy chair to game in to be honest. :o

Of course it matters because it will determine WHEN people get one, if at all. I already said i'd be happy to pay 600 for it if it came to it, maybe even 650, but if Sony came out in the morning and said the price was 1,000 then obviously I would wait for a big price drop. I want a PS5 badly, just not at any price :p