The PlayStation 5 Thread

Viper

The only launch title on the PS3 that I wanted to play was Resistance, so I waited until the next year's fall lineup was coming out before getting it. PS4 had multiple launch titles that interested me, so it was a day one purchase.

I'm waiting on the launch lineup before deciding when to buy the PS5.

I'm waiting on the launch lineup before deciding when to buy the PS5.

Same here. I've never been one to rush to get a console on day 1 with the exception of pretty much every Nintendo system, and all of those have been a shit show. I'm not sure how widely available the PS4 was on launch but trying to get a Wii/NES Classic/SNES Classic/Switch near launch have all been absolute hell. I've also been worried about the lifetime of first wave systems being extremely short. The first wave of Xbox 360s did not last very long before everyone started getting the red ring of death after a few months.

I won't be getting a PS5 right away either...there's always some issue with launch consoles since Gen 7.

The PS3 cost WAYYY too much and had an abysmal line up.

The 360 had horrible RROD problems for YEARS.

The PS4 had issues with the rubber on the Joysticks wearing out too quickly and the discs being ejected on their own.

The XB1 was just a shit show right from the E3 reveal.

I'd rather just wait until people get all their problems with the PS5 out in the open, and bitch that they made a horrible decision and how incompetent Sony is, and have the post-launch batch of PS5's fix the issues. So I'll be waiting at least a year. It all worked out for the PS4. I waited about a year and a half, got the post-launch version of the console so all the bugs we worked out, and managed to only pay $330 for it...which was before it had it's first price drop and was still lower than what it was when it got one.

Edited by TheViper4Life

I most likely won't be buying at launch unless Sony has something mind blowing up their sleeves that's so amazing it compels me to buy day 1. The PS4 still feels young to me. At this stage in the PS3's life cycle, I was so ready to dump it and move on but I feel the opposite about the PS4. We're in the last days and we're still getting big exclusives, PSVR is being heavily supported and I still have so many games I want to play. I'm yet to get around to the likes of Spider-Man and GOW.

Don't get me wrong, I will be 100% getting the PS5 at some point and everything so far is sounding amazing. The specs are great. The BC with PS4 games is huge and will help people make the transition. It was a must have feature and I'm glad they've went with it.

I do wonder how exactly the backwards compatibility for PS4 games will work though. Will they get a bit of an upgrade when we play them on the PS5 for example? Presumably some games will also launch as cross gen so I wonder what differences the games will have on each console. It's interesting, hopefully it will all be clarified in due time.

Same here. I've never been one to rush to get a console on day 1 with the exception of pretty much every Nintendo system, and all of those have been a shit show. I'm not sure how widely available the PS4 was on launch but trying to get a Wii/NES Classic/SNES Classic/Switch near launch have all been absolute hell. I've also been worried about the lifetime of first wave systems being extremely short. The first wave of Xbox 360s did not last very long before everyone started getting the red ring of death after a few months.

The launch PS3 had a horribly inefficient power supply that was so hot you could use it to cook. Getting the second wave of hardware made a huge difference there.

The launch PS4 is fine. I've still got mine and it works great. But...

The PS4 had issues with the rubber on the Joysticks wearing out too quickly

...yeah. I had to replace the controllers that came with my launch PS4 way earlier than I had anticipated. The rubber on those sticks didn't last long at all.

Nice to know ps5 will be backwards compatible, but I wonder if the ps5's backwards compatibility will let it play my ps4 downloadable games, not just the games on disk?

And like viper said, solid state drives are more expensive per GB of hard drive space. People are already having problems with the ps4's tiny 500 GB drive, since games are taking up more space. Red dead redemption 2 alone takes up 1/5 of my hard drive! So to have a reasonable amount of storage on a SSD, would the PS5 have to end up costing $700-$800? :think:

Nice to know ps5 will be backwards compatible, but I wonder if the ps5's backwards compatibility will let it play my ps4 downloadable games, not just the games on disk?

And like viper said, solid state drives are more expensive per GB of hard drive space. People are already having problems with the ps4's tiny 500 GB drive, since games are taking up more space. Red dead redemption 2 alone takes up 1/5 of my hard drive! So to have a reasonable amount of storage on a SSD, would the PS5 have to end up costing $700-$800? :think:

This is why I think it'll only launch with no more than a 1TB SSD. Sony is banking on people upgrading it. Though it's a weird approach assuming, the like PS3 and PS4, we could just buy any brand SSD we want, Sony wouldn't be seeing those profits. Plus I would assume being able to use an External drive will be a launch feature (as opposed to something added in a firmware update for the PS4).

We'd have to hope SSD's become more affordable in the next year or two lol.

I play now NIER and its excactly like with God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn etc. The Old PS4 pro can be quit on these Games esspecialy on a 4K TV. I wish i could wait and play it on a silent PS5 since the Dev. Team say it a few times that players want a silent console.

When this happening and the perfomance is okay i be happy.

I won't be getting a PS5 right away either...there's always some issue with launch consoles since Gen 7.

The PS3 cost WAYYY too much and had an abysmal line up.

The 360 had horrible RROD problems for YEARS.

The PS4 had issues with the rubber on the Joysticks wearing out too quickly and the discs being ejected on their own.

The XB1 was just a shit show right from the E3 reveal.

I'd rather just wait until people get all their problems with the PS5 out in the open, and bitch that they made a horrible decision and how incompetent Sony is, and have the post-launch batch of PS5's fix the issues. So I'll be waiting at least a year. It all worked out for the PS4. I waited about a year and a half, got the post-launch version of the console so all the bugs we worked out, and managed to only pay $330 for it...which was before it had it's first price drop and was still lower than what it was when it got one.

Ive gotten ps2, ps3, ps4 on launch and still have all original consoles working. My first ever problem by buying on launch were those ps4 controllers going bad. I went through 3 of them. 2 were under a year and warranty covered it. I had to pay out of pocket on one of them. Not worth waiting a year or 2 to save $50-$100 imo.

I am glad I didn't buy the ps4 pro though, the ps5 should feel like quite the upgrade.

Only thing that sucks is I been putting off a 4k tv, and now when the ps5 comes out I will have to buy a tv AND a console.

Edited by Steelertown

Well they'd better not price the PS5 too high because they're already at risk of some serious issues as it is because they haven't been this arrogant since the late PS2 days. The high debut price of the PS3 combined with such a high level of arrogance definitely put Sony at a serious disadvantage for awhile n the last generation.

Tib, I swear I see you posting about Sony being arrogant at least once a week, but I don't recall you ever explaining how. It's completely confusing to me. Sony couldn't have made their way through this gen any more perfectly than they have done and they look set to dominate next gen too unless Microsoft manages to pull off something miraculous over the next year or two in order to attract back the millions of customers who jumped ship to Sony. I highly suspect next gen will go much the same way as the current gen and until I see proof indicating otherwise I'll continue to call horseshit on this whole "arrogant" nonsense.

I also doubt Sony will shoot themselves in the foot over pricing either. They priced the PS4 perfectly after learning their lesson from the PS3 launch so I doubt they'll revert back to a stupidly expensive price point for next gen. I do believe it will be more than the PS4 launch price, personally I believe it will be €500/$500/£450-ish and given the specs being teased that would be more than reasonable.

They priced the PS4 perfectly after learning their lesson from the PS3 launch so I doubt they'll revert back to a stupidly expensive price point for next gen. I do believe it will be more than the PS4 launch price, personally I believe it will be €500/$500/£450-ish and given the specs being teased that would be more than reasonable.

I concur. The price at launch was "reasonable" more or less. I was a little disappointed at the launch lineup, though. I was gonna get Watchdogs, which got delayed (and later learned I didn't like it much) but got Resogun instead, which pre-DLC, was pretty badass.

Circumstances being what they are, this time around, I can wait. I will buy it if and when it makes sense to.

Edited by shrapx

• 4 weeks later...
  • Viper pinned this topic