The PlayStation 5 Thread

Viper

53 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I can't take a screenshot because it knocks the control center off, but it seems like they've made a minor change to the trophy card in the control center. Instead of an image of a platinum trophy and your progress percentage, it now shows how many of each trophy you've earned in the game and when you click into the card you can now sort trophies by progress, rarity and grade, and you can also pin to the side from directly in the tab. Very minor change, but it seems a lot more useful now. Thought I'd mention it because these things tend to go unnoticed. 

Oh, and at least as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be individual trophy cards any more for each trophy. It appears that everything has been rolled into this new updated trophy card, making the control center less clogged. I've tried 2 games now and neither have the individual trophy cards anymore despite having them just yesterday. 

I did notice that they changed the trophy list card, but I didn't pay that close attention to it. Will have to check it out next time. Good catch! All the individual trophy cards did feel like overkill, especially when it only showed a few of them and the one I actually wanted to see wouldn't be shown.

2 hours ago, Slamma said:

I did notice that they changed the trophy list card, but I didn't pay that close attention to it. Will have to check it out next time. Good catch! All the individual trophy cards did feel like overkill, especially when it only showed a few of them and the one I actually wanted to see wouldn't be shown.

Yeah I found this to be quite annoying. Sometimes it would show the trophies you were close to earning and other times it would show random trophies. I think for the most part it was all random, though. It also clogged up the control center, so I'm glad they've changed it to the current setup. 

I haven't tested out the sorting by progress yet, but I'm assuming that will do away with the above issue and make it much easier to track the trophies you're close to actually earning. 

Edited by The Alchemist

12 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

It would be more intressting how i can delete this News Section and Storys from your Games CM in this Control Center.

Last time it show me FUT from Fifa 23 yeah thats no Game i play Sony.

The Trophy Cards was not that bad at least a info from a game i owned...

Whenever you buy a game or add a game to your library from Plus, it will automatically get added to your followed games list and you'll start seeing stories about it. I've never had a story about a game I didn't own, so I'm not sure why you're seeing something about FIFA if you didn't buy it.

Go into the card, click on followed games and from here you'll be able to manage your followed games and unfollow any you're not interested in.

7 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Whenever you buy a game or add a game to your library from Plus, it will automatically get added to your followed games list and you'll start seeing stories about it. I've never had a story about a game I didn't own, so I'm not sure why you're seeing something about FIFA if you didn't buy it.

Go into the card, click on followed games and from here you'll be able to manage your followed games and unfollow any you're not interested in.

ah maybe its Fifa 22 that was on PS+

i check this tomorrow.

I was just thinking this cards realy random appears. Also why i can't zoom maximum full screen screenshots in this Menu`?

Only it will be a little bigger if you click on the Image/Video. See no fullscreen Option.

Except this two minor Things there is nothing bad about the UI at least its fast (for now) The PS4 Menu was fast in the first Years too....

My local area is finally starting to see PS5 shipments, but so far I haven't exactly been impressed with the selection.

It's mostly stuff that's already been released for the PS4, buying AAA releases for the PS5 is my only justification for having a PS5.

Generally the best stuff doesn't come until a few years after a console launch, as we learned with the PS3 and the PS4.

This will probably be the last console generation for me. Can't see myself investing beyond a PS5, and most of the good stuff is on Steam, not the PS Store.

• Viper pinned this topic
1 hour ago, Spazman said:

My local area is finally starting to see PS5 shipments, but so far I haven't exactly been impressed with the selection.

It's mostly stuff that's already been released for the PS4, buying AAA releases for the PS5 is my only justification for having a PS5.

Generally the best stuff doesn't come until a few years after a console launch, as we learned with the PS3 and the PS4.

This will probably be the last console generation for me. Can't see myself investing beyond a PS5, and most of the good stuff is on Steam, not the PS Store.

Honestly most of the reason I got a PS5 was for the PS4 emulation. It's not perfect but it surely beats locked 30fps and having a jet engine in the room. 

7 hours ago, Meikoro said:

its fast (for now) The PS4 Menu was fast in the first Years too....

The PS4 was also bogged down by a HDD, which meant the more crap that got added to the system over time the slower it got. We're 2 years into the PS5 almost and it's still as fast as it was on day 1. To this day I've not had a single hiccup, glitch, slowdown or stutter with anything regarding the system itself, it's menus or the PS Store, and that's unlikely to change going forward thanks to the SSD keeping things running fast and smooth.

1 hour ago, Spazman said:

You going to go the PC route? I've been somewhat interested in getting a gaming PC, not really because I'm sick of consoles or anything, but for a few different reasons. I've never owned a gaming PC before or even played games on PC for that matter, so I don't know if it would be worth it as I still intend to play primarily on console. I'd be using it for more than just gaming, though.

PC gaming has it's own host of issues, not least of all the initial investment required for a decent setup that's capable of playing the latest games without issues. It's not as simple or as cheap as some people make it out to be. There's also the technical side of buying the correct components and putting it all together, something that seems a bit daunting to me as I have no clue about this stuff.

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

You going to go the PC route? I've been somewhat interested in getting a gaming PC, not really because I'm sick of consoles or anything, but for a few different reasons. I've never owned a gaming PC before or even played games on PC for that matter, so I don't know if it would be worth it as I still intend to play primarily on console. I'd be using it for more than just gaming, though.

PC gaming has it's own host of issues, not least of all the initial investment required for a decent setup that's capable of playing the latest games without issues. It's not as simple or as cheap as some people make it out to be. There's also the technical side of buying the correct components and putting it all together, something that seems a bit daunting to me as I have no clue about this stuff.

I'm not sure if you carry the same tone as you do on the PSNP forums. I'm taking a week break from there as I'm absolutely sick at dealing with some of the idiots on there.

Back to discussion, I'm mostly going to focus on old school 90's/2000's PC only games. If I want to play the modern stuff I will have to shell several hundred dollars for a decent PC build. I used to do that in the past but in recent years I've been drifting further away from AAA gaming as a whole.

There's plenty of great indie titles and AA production games on Steam, and it's still one of the best platforms to try out the latest indie games, since Sony generally drags its foot by only getting the indies LONG after they were released on other systems.

Newegg.com is a good start, though you may want to look at other sources.

6 minutes ago, Spazman said:

I'm not sure if you carry the same tone as you do on the PSNP forums. I'm taking a week break from there as I'm absolutely sick at dealing with some of the idiots on there.

Have no idea what you're talking about regarding tone. But yeah, it's a good idea to take a break from time to time if all you're doing is getting into pointless arguments. 

Yeah there's some interesting titles available only on PC, so it would be nice to have a setup so that I could try them out. Thanks for the advice, I'll check that site out. It's something I'm not going to be doing right away anyway, so I'll have time to think about everything and what kind of setup to go for. 

4 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

Have no idea what you're talking about regarding tone. But yeah, it's a good idea to take a break from time to time if all you're doing is getting into pointless arguments. 

Yeah there's some interesting titles available only on PC, so it would be nice to have a setup so that I could try them out. Thanks for the advice, I'll check that site out. It's something I'm not going to be doing right away anyway, so I'll have time to think about everything and what kind of setup to go for.

I've gone PC before, in fact there was a period around a decade ago when all I did was play on PC. Will no longer invest in MMOS, put thousands of hours in World of Warcraft and Runescape. I just don't have the time anymore, plus the amount of changes these games have gone through is enough to make me turn away regardless.

The problem is finding the right PC setup for you. So you will have to do your own homework and research in your own time.

@The Alchemist

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ Is a really useful website to explore and utilise the forum for before making the jump into PC gaming. 
During the PS3 cycle I made the jump to PC gaming for a couple of years and used Overclockers to make my initial purchase of a PC which ended up being a sensible price and I was able to run new games, although not at max settings so was exactly what I was after.

The transition from controller to K+M really wasn’t too bad either. As a warning though the Steam sales are extremely good so you will no doubt end up with a massive library of games you’ll never touch 😁.

• Thanks 1

Its not a matter of the Price or Games avaible on a System but the Time. I only have 24 hrs per Day :D

While i would like to play some Games on PC i have no Time. I collect digital Games (free) on PC but allmost never play it.

I would also asume the PC Community is even toxier than PSNP (yes thats possible) so beware of that.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, iLion said:

@The Alchemist

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ Is a really useful website to explore and utilise the forum for before making the jump into PC gaming. 
During the PS3 cycle I made the jump to PC gaming for a couple of years and used Overclockers to make my initial purchase of a PC which ended up being a sensible price and I was able to run new games, although not at max settings so was exactly what I was after.

The transition from controller to K+M really wasn’t too bad either. As a warning though the Steam sales are extremely good so you will no doubt end up with a massive library of games you’ll never touch 😁.

Cheers bud. I've bookmarked that site.

It's probably something I'm going to mull over for a while and then possibly get started on next year some time when I have a bit more cash to spend. I do know that I won't be going for anything super high-end, because prices are nuts and it just wouldn't be worth it for a whole host of reasons. If I had a PC capable of running most games even at medium settings I would be quite pleased with that, because as I've alluded to, it won't be used just for gaming. I want a decent PC for productivity reasons as much as for gaming. Pre-built is another option, although I know that's something that is often quite frowned upon by the PC community, not to mention that pre-builts usually aren't known for their overall quality and can be a bit overpriced compared to getting your own parts, but it would save me the stress of putting one together myself. On the other hand, as daunting as it seems, building my own PC does sound satisfying and rewarding. Plenty to think about.

I already have a backlog on console that I'll probably never get through, so what's one more massive backlog going to do!? 😆

29 minutes ago, Meikoro said:

Its not a matter of the Price or Games avaible on a System but the Time. I only have 24 hrs per Day :D

While i would like to play some Games on PC i have no Time. I collect digital Games (free) on PC but allmost never play it.

I would also asume the PC Community is even toxier than PSNP (yes thats possible) so beware of that.

Same here for the most part. I don't have time to get through every game I own on console as it is. Any gaming I do on my hypothetical gaming PC will be mostly limited to games not available on console. Think exclusive PC indies and stuff of that nature. Maybe the odd Xbox game like Forza, and possibly some multiplayer stuff. But it will all be secondary to my console gaming, which I will not be giving up on any time soon. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Pre-orders begin next Tuesday, October 25.

"Today, we’re pleased to share that the DualSense Edge wireless controller – the first-ever ultra-customizable controller developed by PlayStation – will launch globally on January 26. Built with high performance and personalization in mind, the DualSense Edge wireless controller for PS5 invites you to craft your own unique gaming experiences through custom controls tailored to your playstyle.

"The DualSense Edge wireless controller will be available for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $199.99 USD/¥29,980 (including tax)/€239.99/£209.99. In addition, the replaceable stick modules will be available globally on January 26 for a recommended retail price (RRP) of $19.99 USD/¥2,680 (including tax)/€24.99/£19.99.

"Pre-orders for the controller and replaceable stick modules will be available starting as early as next Tuesday, October 25 at select retailers, so be sure to check your local retailer.

"The DualSense Edge wireless controller features a host of hardware and software-based personalization options, including button remapping, the ability to fine-tune stick sensitivity and triggers, options to swap between multiple control profiles, and a unique on-controller user interface. It also sports the signature comfort and immersive features of the DualSense wireless controller, like haptic feedback and adaptive triggers.

"You can make the DualSense Edge wireless controller uniquely yours with the included three changeable sets of stick caps and two changeable sets of back buttons. Everything will come bundled in the included carrying case, and you can even charge the controller via USB connection while it’s stored in the case to make sure you’re always ready for your next play session.

"Here’s a breakdown of everything included as well as a closer look at the carrying case:

- DualSense Edge wireless controller
- USB braided cable
- 2 Standard caps
- 2 High dome caps
- 2 Low dome caps
- 2 Half dome back buttons
- 2 Lever back buttons
- Connector housing
- Carrying case 

"Starting Tuesday, October 25, 2022 (while supplies last), in the US, UK, France, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxembourg, the DualSense Edge wireless controller and replaceable stick modules will be available for pre-order only through direct.playstation.com.

"The DualSense Edge wireless controller and replaceable stick modules will be available for direct.playstation.com customers in these countries starting January 26, 2023, and will be offered at other participating retailers starting February 23, 2023." 

Price is roughly what I expected. €239.99 / £209.99 / $199.99. Not terrible for what you're getting when you take a look at the market. 

2 hours ago, Barra333 said:

US$200 is going to translate to C$239 or $249 (+13% tax) up here in Canuckistan. It is cool and all, but that is a bit much for me.

For anyone in the market for something like this it isn't completely unreasonably priced when you compare it to other options, it's roughly in line with other stuff out there, but yeah for the average non-competitive player it's obviously a big outlay for a controller. I don't play any competitive multiplayer games and even if I did I wouldn't take them so seriously that something like this would be required. That said, I'll probably pick one up for collector purposes further down the line after a price drop or two. 

2 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

For anyone in the market for something like this it isn't completely unreasonably priced when you compare it to other options, it's roughly in line with other stuff out there, but yeah for the average non-competitive player it's obviously a big outlay for a controller. I don't play any competitive multiplayer games and even if I did I wouldn't take them so seriously that something like this would be required. That said, I'll probably pick one up for collector purposes further down the line after a price drop or two. 

That probably does cloud my opinion a little. Folks are going to snap it up at any price, I just won't be fighting them. I'm content with my black controller to go with the standard white one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love my PS5, but sadly Sony has really dropped the ball when it comes to VRR support. I can't believe they have worked with AMD again, but didn't bother working with AMD to get FreeSync Premium Pro, like on Xbox Series X. 

There is a night and day difference when playing the same game between the 2 systems, with VRR active. The Series X just feels so much smoother due to FreeSync Premium Pro having a wider operational range and low frame rate compensation.

It's such a shame, as if they had FreeSync Premium Pro it would have made the 40FPS modes that they have introduced in the first party games a much more viable option, but without the wider VRR window and LFC, they just look messy and stuttery.

This is my one and only real complaint with the PS5 so far in the rougly 2 years I've had it.

12 hours ago, twyz said:

Hard to believe the PS5 has been out for two years now, and I've still yet to see it on store shelves.

It's strange, I went into a retail store recently and a lady asked the guy if they had any switches and he told her that they(don't know if he just meant that specific store)don't sell consoles in store just online. Here in the UK most the supermarkets dont sell consoles anymore.

PS Direct UK now seems to have a steady stream of ps5's and at the minute GAME, Amazon and Shopto also have them.

I signed up to a bunch of waiting list with online retailers after the launch disaster and in the January after launch SimplyGames sent a email with a unique url that you had to sign into your account to use, but as a secondary anti scalping measure they were being sold in bundles, so I paid more but I made most the difference up by selling the crap I didn't want.

Edited by ModernSith2010