The PlayStation 5 Thread

Viper

gkpij3yho1czrfgnww4k.jpg

Shoutout to The Alchemist as he posted this article in the thread about whether you would purchase a PS5 if it didn't have backwards compatibility. But I figured it'd be a good idea to make this thread as people might not see it there barring the subject of the thread.

Official PS5 Website - Other counties coming soon!

US - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/ps5/

EU - https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/ps5/

CA - https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/ps5/

Sources:

Original Article: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

Sony Reconfirms PS5 Features with Official Graphic - Push Square (Credit to Ashbo)

Confirmed Details:

qfdxxJD.jpg

md6JYqa.jpg

jqMBPDA.jpg

• Official Name - PlayStation 5 (PS5)
  • Release Date - November 12th for US, Japan, Canada, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand and South Korea
    November 19th for the Rest of the World
  • Price: - PS5 = $499.99, €499.99, £449.99, ¥49,980. PS5 Digitial = $399.99, €399.99, £359.99, ¥39,980
  • Controller - Replacing the DualShock will be the new DualSense controllers.

49747503557_fa12f113db_h.jpg
    IxipMEF.jpg

- Featuring new "Haptic Feedback" rather than the traditional rumble, which is supposed to give a more immersive and unique feeling to every action you take in a game.
    - As well as "Adaptive Triggers", which allow devs to program a level of resistance based on the action needed, for example, the ability to feel the tension in pulling back on a bow or accelerating through multiple terrains in vehicles.
    - USB Type-C ports for charging.
    - 3.5mm Headphone jack returns.
    - The light bar is now gone and will have a small indicator on the face of the controller.
    - The controller will come with a small microphone so that you can still talk to your friends if you don't happen to have a headset.

• UHD Blu-Rays - The PS5 will indeed be packed with a 4K Blu-Ray player, so you can enjoy all your UHD movies using 100GB BDXL UHD Blu-Ray Discs

Confirmed Specs:

• CPU - 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (Variable).
  • GPU and Ray Tracing - 10.28TFLOPS, 36CU's at 2.23GHz (Variable)
  • Audio - the PS5 will have 3D Audio that Mark Cerny believes will be "dramatically different" to PS4 audio.
  • Storage - 825GB Custom NVMe SSD. With a slot for expandable SSD storage.
  • RAM - 16GB GDDR6/256-Bit
  • Memory Bandwith - 448GB/s
  • Networking - Ethernet WiFi 6 (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth 5.1
  • Resolution support - the PS5 will have up to 8K support, presumably including full 4K at up to 120FPS.

PS5 features

• The PS5 will support backwards compatibility - with 99% of the PS4 library. However it has been confirmed it WILL NOT support BC with PS1, PS2 or PS3.
  • The PS5 won't be digital-only - physical media, such as the current form of discs, will still be supported. Confirmed to be 100GB Optical Discs.
    Some games will likely release on both PS4 and PS5 at first - Wired speculated on Death Stranding being one example, based on Cerny's notably "pregnant pause" when asked.
  • The PS5 will have some form of cloud functionality - "we are cloud-gaming pioneers," Cerny told Wired, "our vision should become clear as we head toward launch."
  • Game Boost - PS5 will boost select PS4 and PSVR games for faster and smoother frame rates.
  • Game Upgrades - Select PS4 physical and digital games can be upgraded to PS5 Digital versions (developer dependent).
  • PS5 PSVR support has been confirmed with the current headset at least. PSVR2 heavily rumored.
  • PlayStation Plus :ps+: - Subscribers will now have access to the PS+ Games Collection...giving you access to a list of select PS4 games at launch (with more to be added later). List includes:
  • Batman: Arkham Knight
  • Battlefield 1
  • Bloodborne
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 - Zombie Chronicles Edition
  • Crash Bandicoot N'Sane Collection
  • Days Gone
  • Detroit: Become Human
  • Final Fantasy XV: Royal Edition
  • Fallout 4
  • God of War
  • inFAMOUS: Second Son
  • Monster Hunter: World
  • Mortal Kombat X
  • Persona 5
  • Ratchet & Clank 2016
  • The Last Guardian
  • The Last of Us - Remastered
  • Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
  • Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
  • Until Dawn

PS5 Confirmed Titles

• Assassin's Creed: Valhalla
  • Astro’s Playroom
  • Atomic Heart
  • Balan Wonderworld
  • BugSnax
  • Call of Duty: Black Ops - Cold War
  • Control
  • Deathloop
  • Demon’s Souls Remake
  • Destruction All-Stars
  • Devil May Cry 5: Special Edition
  • DiRT 5
  • Dying Light 2
  • FIFA 21
  • Final Fantasy XVI
  • Five Nights at Freddy's: Security Breach
  • Fortnite
  • Ghostwire Tokyo
  • Godfall
  • God of War: Ragnarok
  • Goodbye Volcano High
  • Gran Turismo: Sport
  • Gran Turismo 7
  • Grand Theft Auto V - Remastered + Stand Alone GTA Online
  • Heavenly Bodies
  • Hitman III
  • Hogwarts Legacy
  • Horizon: Forbidden West
  • Immortals: Fenyx Rising
  • Jett: The Far Shore
  • Kena: Bridge of Spirits
  • Little Devil Inside
  • Madden NFL 21
  • Maneater
  • Marvel's Avengers
  • Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales + Spider-Man PS4 Remaster
  • Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
  • NBA 2K21
  • Oddworld: Soulstorm
  • Outriders
  • Pragmata
  • Project Athia (Working Title}
  • Project Oxygen (Working Title)
  • Quantum Error
  • Rainbow Six: Quarantine
  • Rainbow Six: Siege
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • Recompile
  • Resident Evil 8: Village
  • Returnal
  • Riders Republic
  • Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • Scarlet Nexus
  • Solar Ash
  • Starfield**
  • Stray
  • The Elder Scrolls: Online
  • The Elder Scrolls VI**
  • The Lord of the Rings: Gollum
  • The Pathless
  • Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2
  • Watch Dogs: Legion
  • Worms: Rumble
  • WRC 9
  • Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon

**Denotes games who's PS5 release is currently up in the air due to Microsoft purchasing Bethesda

Edited by Viper

Saw this earlier today.

Interesting read and keen to see more.

SSD drive is a plus. I’m a fan of them. Touchscreen on the DS? Hmmm not sure about that.

Glad physical discs will be present. The price of new release digi games is awful, hence why I’m in favour of physical. Indie digi titles are only worth their price and moreso when the Plus discount is added.

The SSD is the big thing that worries me. Assuming the PS5 will launch with at least a 1TB...not only is that not really enough NOW (unless you're one of those people who deletes everything all the time), but SSD's aren't cheap at all. Sony is basically saying, here pay $400-$500 for this console, then pay another $200 for a 2TB SSD. We'll practically have to sacrifice a child to Satan to buy this thing.

And so even if they say you can replace it with a (cheaper) HDD...then you're basically screwing yourself on the load times they were talking about. It's either sacrifice your saves, sacrifice functionality or sacrifice your wallet.

It's the one thing I didn't want them to do. On top of it it's the PCIe connection...it's not even SATA.

The SSD is the big thing that worries me. Assuming the PS5 will launch with at least a 1TB...not only is that not really enough NOW (unless you're one of those people who deletes everything all the time), but SSD's aren't cheap at all. Sony is basically saying, here pay $400-$500 for this console, then pay another $200 for a 2TB SSD. We'll practically have to sacrifice a child to Satan to buy this thing.

And so even if they say you can replace it with a (cheaper) HDD...then you're basically screwing yourself on the load times they were talking about. It's either sacrifice your saves, sacrifice functionality or sacrifice your wallet.

It's the one thing I didn't want them to do. On top of it it's the PCIe connection...it's not even SATA.

Just googled PCI express SSD's and I found this World's First PCIe 4.0 SSD Demo, Phison E16 Hits 4GB/s.

Also since it is PCI express. How easy would it be to change drives?

As for the PS5 controller I really hope it's just a comfy controller with a bigger battery.

There is so much useless crap on the PS4 controller, it eats power while it almost never going to be used.

Also hope the UI is a lot more customisable. No ads, fast, no bloatware and selecting what comes first at the XMB or what ever they use. Personally I really like the XMB it's nice simple and fast with a controller.

Also for the love of god let it play 4k blu-ray's.

I really wonder if they will let you upgrade your GPU.

Edited by Doomsdayman

SSD has been a godsend with games like RDR2 and BFV; it's great to know PS5 will have it out of the gate.
It's just cost that concerns me. Obviously an SSD is far superior, and it's still exciting to know it'll be utilized in more ways than one.

I mean, I'll become one of those "deletes everything all the time to conserve space" type of people if I have to. But I have a 1TB HDD in my PS3 and a 2TB in my PS4...I don't like space being any kind of issue. But buying a new SSD to match this just isn't affordable.

I wouldn't mind paying more for a bigger SSD.

Though I fully understand this is not possible for everyone.

My main question right now is. Is the console able to do 60 fps at 4k properly? My knowledge about the thechnical specs is very minimal, so I don't know

Edited by ruben-fcu

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't mind paying more for a bigger SSD.

Though I fully understand this is not possible for everyone.

My main question right now is. Is the console able to do 60 fps at 4k properly? My knowledge about the thechnical specs is very minimal, so I don't know

With the console supporting 8K already, you'd think that Sony would have gotten 4K/60FPS down. But history tends to tell us a different story.

By the time we hit the end of the PS3's life cycle, we were begging for 1080p/60FPS to be the next big thing for the PS4, considering the PS3 was still playing most games at 720p/30FPS. And while the PS4 plays some games at 1080p/60FPS...it's mostly remasters. Even though the PS4 Pro is cranking out 4K games, most are still in the 1080p/30FPS range.

So based on this, I fully expect the PS5 to be able to handle 1080p/60FPS with absolutely no issues. But 4K/60FPS might end up being like the PS4 where it's only in select optimized games (with big heavy hitters supporting the rare 8K). So I would go in expecting Native 4K/30FPS for most things.

Edited by TheViper4Life

OP is flipping out for no reason. Sony wants another console that will break the 100 million sales mark that PS4 is going to make this year, also surpassing the Wii and eventually PSOne. That means a competitive price launch again, the $399-$499 range is kind of the sweet spot they have to meet even if they take a short-term loss on each console sold for awhile. They will make it up over time with launch exclusives. $599 almost killed them with the PS3.

One way to reduce cost is soldier the "SSD" on-board, basically using raw flash chips like how thin notebooks, and they can still have an expansion bay like they have done for two generations now. If you want to add a standard off-the-shelf one.

OP is flipping out for no reason. Sony wants another console that will break the 100 million sales mark that PS4 is going to make this year, also surpassing the Wii and eventually PSOne. That means a competitive price launch again, the $399-$499 range is kind of the sweet spot they have to meet even if they take a short-term loss on each console sold for awhile. They will make it up over time with launch exclusives. $599 almost killed them with the PS3.

One way to reduce cost is soldier the "SSD" on-board, basically using raw flash chips like how thin notebooks, and they can still have an expansion bay like they have done for two generations now. If you want to add a standard off-the-shelf one.

Why do people always think I'm angry or flipping out when I'm perfectly calm? :confused:

• 3 weeks later...
Wait, that stuff in light blue is legit and confirmed?? If so ps5 is def a day 1 buy for me.

Yes but with some salt in it:

- Compatible to Last Gen Yes but only for PS4. PS3,PS2,PS1 they work on a Emulator programm but don't confirm that.

- 8K Resolution for Movie and Upscaeling excatly like on PS4 Pro. (Well thats more than enough don't need to be read bad, thats realy great)

-SSD for Intern Saves to keep loading at minimum. I and the Press think we got a normal HDD for Saving Files etc. and a SSD for the RAM Progress.

I stil be exciting. all my Sony Consoles was Day One Buy, was evry time fun how good they run :think:

Wait, that stuff in light blue is legit and confirmed?? If so ps5 is def a day 1 buy for me.

Ye apparently so.

However there is still life in the old PS4 yet with them predicting another 3 years of content and features.

Not that it will deter many from buying a PS5 day one, but may make some rethink and stick with the PS4 to a) get the most out of the console they can and b) maybe hold off and see how the PS5 performs for the first few months before jumping in?

Just a thought.

I Think people who want to be up to date buy this Console as a Day One. Even if its just for better graphics and less loading time.

Consider the Huge Amount Cross-gen Title Next year like CoD and BF in November there will definitly a sold out like on PS4 if the Price and marketing is right. :D

Why do people always think I'm angry or flipping out when I'm perfectly calm? :confused:

I think you are awesome, not angry!

Well considering Ashbo's link just reiterates what I already posted in the OP...it was confirmed last month. I wasn't trolling when I made this thread. :p

:p

• Viper pinned this topic