Genichiro Ashina

vaughni

Has any one got any advice for this boss ? Im pulling my hair out at the moment with him lol ive tried the advice on YouTube vidoes etc but still struggling, also i have been practicing the mikiri counter at the base and i get it spot on but every time i try to do it with this boss it doesn’t work, up to this point ive been ok mixed full on attack’s with blocks and counters but cant get past him, ive got to stage 3 once with him out of 100 plus tries lol any advice greatly appreciated.

No advice unfortunately, I did the same thing despite all the 'guides' and 'easy methods.' It took me over four hours of constant practice and dying before I downed him.

On my successful run, I stopped trying to mikiri counter and went for a dodge followed up with an attack that hits every time. It wasn't worth losing half my health trying to time the dodge. Same goes for the stupid lightning counter. I never, ever successfully countered it. Found more success in dodging and then countering only sword attacks. Stay 100% aggressive.

That big overhead strike he does before the thrust attack that you're trying to Mikiri counter needs to be deflected, not blocked. Blocking it won't do damage to you, but it will stun you long enough that you won't be able to Mikiri counter. It all happens so fast that you probably don't notice you're stunned when you're going for the Mikiri.

I died on him for a while when I first went through the game, but it turned out that I just didn't do things in the smart order. If you do Hirata Estate first and get the additional attack power and prayer beads it will be far easier to beat Genichiro in new game.

The rest is just learning his patterns and what you can and can't punish. When he jumps into the air for the overhead stab you can dodge to his back and get a free hit or two on him. If you dodge backward away from it, he will almost always try to use either a sweep or a thrust that you can bait for a counter. Otherwise, you just have to be really aggressive, swing two times at him and if he deflects... prepare to deflect back, if he tries to use the bow or jump you will damage him and then can repeat the process. If he backs away from you then you should hold block as he will probably try to jump into the air and shoot at you with a quad shot attack.

In the last part, when he does the jump thrust.. that can be mikiri countered with ease and he will not attempt the grab followup after. If he goes for a lightning attack just jump into the air with the proper timing so you can eat it at the peak of your jump and then just spam R1 as you descend for the counter. Be careful though as he has two different lightning attacks with slightly different timings. The rest of his patterns are basically the same as the first part and the same strategy works there. Lastly, if he starts running to your side with what looks like a delayed swing, just back off as he is about to perform a close range grab.

This fight only gets difficult if you don't stay aggressive.. especially if you start trying to heal as the game is extremely good at reading this input and punishing it relentlessly. It is easy to get into an infinite loop of getting struck every time you initiate the heal animation if you don't wait for the right opportunity to go for the heal (i.e. after he whiffs a grab or overhead slam attack).

A couple general tips on combat that will help with this:

-The Mikiri counter is incredibly easy to perform as it has enormous leeway in the timing. All you have to do is dodge forward into the thrust attack and the entire animation of your dodge can initiate the counter.

-Spam block when you want to deflect attacks, there is no penalty for spamming so it basically works exactly the same as Metal Gear Rising Revengeance. Hugely exploitable.

Edited by Elegy

If he goes for a lightning attack just jump into the air with the proper timing so you can eat it at the peak of your jump and then just spam R1 as you descend for the counter.

Well then...Just looked it up and this explains why my R1 counter attempts were a 0% success rate. I feel like a dumbass :rofl:

I can finish phase 1 and 2 in about 75 seconds together. Phase 3 method is slower, but relatively safe. My phase 4 was pretty messy though.

I found a way to force the boss to perform easy patterns during phase 2, and lock him down for most of phase 1.

Here's a video with some tips on the early parts for faster fights.

Edited by tsoul

I'm close to end game now (just mopping up some things) and up until now this has been the only boss that i still have no clue about on how to defeat! I got lucky once and beat his 3rd phase first try when i reached it.

But now that he is also the final boss i'm AGAIN having the same trouble, for some reason i can't read his moves...

With all other bosses i had some kind of "click' after dozens of tries and could beat them without even using more then 1 or 2 gourd sips.

Just not Genichiro.

I'm close to end game now (just mopping up some things) and up until now this has been the only boss that i still have no clue about on how to defeat! I got lucky once and beat his 3rd phase first try when i reached it.

But now that he is also the final boss i'm AGAIN having the same trouble, for some reason i can't read his moves...

With all other bosses i had some kind of "click' after dozens of tries and could beat them without even using more then 1 or 2 gourd sips.

Just not Genichiro.

I recommend to go offensive on Gen and only react/block if he deflects your attack. Gen's attacks after a deflect are either an immediate slash (that you block) or a reactable attack (jump stab or thrust/sweep).

I got some pointers on the video in post #8

I beat him again on NG+, but he still gave me a run for the money. I kept slashing at him and then waiting for a deflect opportunity. Sometimes I'd slash at him when he tries to fire an arrow, leading to a free hit. For phase 3, I took him down insanely fast. I basically kept slashing away the entire time and then waited for the lightning parry, which I'm good at now thanks to end game practice. Took only 1 try as opposed to 75+ on NG, but I died once and used 7 health potions.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, most annoying part of this fight was when he would hit me with the arrow attack seemingly out of nowhere giving me little to no time to react to it. I lightning phase actually ends up being pretty easy if you can time the counter and stun him for 3-4 hits. I found getting through the first couple phases ended up being easier to counter a lot of his attacks as it was quicker to max out the stamina bar than to deplete the health bar for him.

Well... I finally gave up, this fight has done me in. I really wanted to finish this game but apparently i can't. I took almost a week off the game to recover my sanity, tried for 2 days straight but i have to admit I've met my match.

I actually uninstalled, maybe i'll pick it back up one day but for now i don't have the strengt.

Well... I finally gave up, this fight has done me in. I really wanted to finish this game but apparently i can't. I took almost a week off the game to recover my sanity, tried for 2 days straight but i have to admit I've met my match.

I actually uninstalled, maybe i'll pick it back up one day but for now i don't have the strengt.

Don't give up, this was my second boss and it took me a week and close to 200 deaths before I beat him, you just need to keep trying :)

yep if you keep at it, just practice and learn the moveset.....and what you need to do to react, watch how people on youtube do it and i found the IGN boss guides very helpful....has each attack and what you should do

i very nearly gave up in the last fight against isshin sword saint...took 4-5 days of a couple of hours each time but finally got him - and he only hit me once in that run which was cos i got stuck on a rock that the camera decided i didnt need to see lol....

felt amazing finally doing it so just hang in there, if you get frustrated i switched off and played some fifa and then came back which helped a lot

i very nearly gave up in the last fight against isshin sword saint...took 4-5 days of a couple of hours each time but finally got him - and he only hit me once in that run which was cos i got stuck on a rock that the camera decided i didnt need to see lol....

felt amazing finally doing it so just hang in there, if you get frustrated i switched off and played some fifa and then came back which helped a lot

Lol, happen to me a few times with Genichiro, got stuck between a door and the wall, Hirata Estate Owl (damned columns) and Isshin, because of a tree!

But what you said is true, when you get frustrated it's better to take a break.

After 1 hour of my 2nd session against Isshin I decided to take a break because phase 2 was too hard...I had lunch, relaxed a bit, and when I got back I defeated him on my 3rd try.

Playing the game with a cool mind really helps a lot!

I have completed ng+ and this fight was by far the hardest of all the bosses. This should have been an end boss, not one a third of the way through where your skill and upgrades are limited. I feel for those who can't pass him as it took me hours and still only beat him with a bit I of luck. Even on ng+ my health and vitality are 5 times higher and he still killed me a few times

yep if you keep at it, just practice and learn the moveset.....and what you need to do to react, watch how people on youtube do it and i found the IGN boss guides very helpful....has each attack and what you should do

I have been watching a lot of Youtube strat guides, the strats in the first few weeks after the game came out didn't help me that much.

So now a few weeks later watching new vids just makes me more frustrated...

It seems everybody now has the hang of it and i saw one guy beat all 4 phases in under 3 minutes being all up in their grill.

And then there are guys like Faraaz who do boss runs with no hits taken/base stats/no upgrades/no skills (except mikiri counter) :wall:

Edited by MediocreJohnny

for those struggling, use shadow rush on him (get rid of your emblems first as you dont want to do the jump)

whenever he is standing still or walking around away from you pull this out, its an automatic hit on him as he cant block it. dont be too far away or he might pull out his bow in the time it takes to charge him.

just keep doing that and then in phase 3 just keep smashing L1 to deflect until he draws out his lightning attacks, when you see the red symbol jump straight up and smash R1 as you come down. then get a few free hits in on him. rinse and repeat

its easy once you get the hang of it!

• 3 weeks later...

Reached this Boss as well yesterday and man, he is really annoying.

I can beat his first phase pretty good, just have to remain concentrated and don't rush things, but as soon as his lightning attacks come, I somehow struggle to remain cool and eat all of his attacks. :francis:

But I am enjoying the challenge nonetheless.

Looking forward to beating him tonight :whistle::dance: