New console "Mad Box" to compete with PlayStation, Nintendo and Xbox.

Snaker

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/a-new-game-console-is-on-the-way-to-compete-with-x/1100-6464117/

Slightly Mad Studios CEO Ian Bell has revealed the company is developing a standalone console. Exact hardware and software specs haven't been announced yet, but Bell has provided a few details.

The first mention of the console came via Twitter, when Bell tweeted, "The Mad Box is coming." Bell told Variety that the Mad Box will probably release in about three years and support up to 120 frames-per-second for virtual reality play. "It will support most major VR headsets and those upcoming and the specs will be equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now," Bell wrote. "We're in early talks with manufacturers of components so we can't say much more right now other than we have the designs specced out in detail."

When it comes to games on the console, Bell wrote, "We think exclusives are 'exclusionary' but given that we'll be shipping a cross platform engine to all developers it will be their choice. As of now we have no plans to pay developers 'incentives' to exclude other hardware vendors." He further explained that Slightly Mad Studios thinks "the industry is a little too much of a monopoly or a micro oligopoly," and The Mad Box aims to bring some healthy competition to the console race, which for years has pretty much exclusively been a three-way battle between Microsoft's Xbox, Sony's PlayStation, and Nintendo's hardware.

Bell added that early design builds for the Mad Box will be revealed in about four to six weeks. The Mad Box is planned to release worldwide and be competitively priced in comparison to other upcoming consoles. "We have multiple investors already offering the required funding for us to see the product to completion, but it's still early days and we're looking at the best offers right now," Bell wrote.

LOL. A console with no exclusives to compete with the Big 3. Where do these people get their ideas from?

will probably release in about three years and support up to 120 frames-per-second for virtual reality play. "It will support most major VR headsets and those upcoming and the specs will be equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now"

Probably 3 years lol, 3 years from now we'll already have next Gen with at least a few amazing exclusives released, also AFFORDABLE consoles! They really seem like they don't know the first thing about making consoles. How is a console with "specs will be equivalent to a very fast PC two years from now" is going to be affordable, if anything it's going to be more expensive than a good PC now because he says 2 years from now. I feel like this is doomed already.

Is it a VR only console...or a traditional game console that supports VR? They only seem to mention the former in 120FPS...which seems damned ambitious as I doubt the PS5 and Next Box will harness that.

But I'm not going to shit on this just yet...I'm interested to see if another company can pull it off and actually enter the ring. With talk of the Next Box possibly being the last Xbox console, and Sony possibly following suit...it would be interesting to see a new console kind of take the reigns. However Mad Box is an absolutely horrendous name so I hope it's just a codename.

Edited by TheViper4Life

LOL this is going to fail so bad that I almost feel sorry for them. There's no chance of another company breaking into the console market in this day and age, especially not a random group with no hardware experience. Next gen may be the last for traditional consoles as we know them, at least as far as Sony & MS are concerned so why would you want to even enter the market at such a late stage when things will be winding down and digital/streaming will be the norm going forward? This is going to flop hard or not get made at all. From the sounds of it they want to make a console that's essentially a gaming PC so why not go that route and make there own pre built units and/or accessories? They might have better luck if they did that

LOL this is going to fail so bad that I almost feel sorry for them. There's no chance of another company breaking into the console market in this day and age, especially not a random group with no hardware experience. Next gen may be the last for traditional consoles as we know them, at least as far as Sony & MS are concerned so why would you want to even enter the market at such a late stage when things will be winding down and digital/streaming will be the norm going forward? This is going to flop hard or not get made at all. From the sounds of it they want to make a console that's essentially a gaming PC so why not go that route and make there own pre built units and/or accessories? They might have better luck if they did that

That may be exactly the reason that they want to go the console route instead of the PC route is that people won't have to know if their PC has the latest and greatest hardware whereas just buying the Mad Box assures it. But without any exclusives I see this failing. The exclusives were what made me go PS over XBox. The only reason to buy more than one console is for the exclusive games, which I don't have enough time for.

I can't believe that they've found investors who think this will be worth their time. Just look at how Sega lost out on the console market and doesn't want to ever re-enter it. Or Atari.

Next gen may be the last for traditional consoles as we know them, at least as far as Sony & MS are concerned so why would you want to even enter the market at such a late stage when things will be winding down and digital/streaming will be the norm going forward?

That's what they said about this generation. I could see Microsoft pulling out as they are actually a computer company- in fact their commitment to Xbox seems half-hearted at this point, but not Sony. Which would be Mad Box's only chance since there is NO ROOM for a fourth contender in the console market. Hell, there may not even be room for 3. Atari got shoved out when Nintendo and SEGA joined the scene, SEGA got shoved out when Sony appeared, and Nintendo's been getting shoved out since Microsoft came, though now Microsoft's been just kinda dicking around.

And that's assuming the console is not just shit, like every other attempted newcomer (okay the 3DO was decent itself, but the business model was... very questionable.)

I also question the idea that we have a 'monopoly' or 'lack of competition' when there's THREE different companies to choose from. What's more is they've all stood on each podium at some point or another these last 3 gens. Sony is the big winner overall, specifically with the PS2 and PS4 so far- but they were dead last for much of last gen though they eventually mounted an impressive comeback and probably have the favorite choice award. Microsoft was a distant second with Xbox, but rocketed into the lead with the 360... then just stopped and gave up their lead (and probably fell into last place although sales figures have ceased) and now this gen they're dead last (except for the Wii U.) Nintendo's Gamecube was a commercial failure, then they sold a shitload of Wii's (although how many were to core gamers and not casuals is anyone's guess) but then bombed with the Wii U, and now the Switch is doing great (and this time it's probably with actual core gamers.) I'd say competition is as fierce as it's ever been. While Nintendo, SEGA, Sony, and Microsoft were all new guys at one point who broke into the scene, they did so at far better times. This is possibly the absolute WORST time to try.

And now we have concept images. https://www.gamespot.com/articles/first-look-at-new-mad-box-gaming-consoles-design-r/1100-6464167/

This has to be a joke. Either that or hype for a crowdfunding campaing o get idiots to part with their money.

At least it looks cool. I'll give the designers a thumbs up for that one.

Hopefully they have some kind of strategy to compete, because it is supposed to be just another console it will bomb. They'll have to try to market to some niche or have features that the big three don't.

This idea will fade faster than the Sega Saturn, the Ouya, and the Virtual Boy combined.

Saying this would flop as bad as the saturn or the virtual boy would imply that it wouldn't even be good enough to start a cult following. Saturn has a treasure trove of great exclusives i wish i could play like panzer dragoon saga, shining force 3, magic knight reyearth, ect. and was actually very sucessful in japan, not to mention the virtual boy at the very least has wario land and mario clash. No, im thinking this will be the console equivalent of the gizmondo, if you've never heard of it look it up. It was a handheld funded by the sweedish mafia that literally got discontinued within a week of launch. In fact heres a video.