Gold Medal Video Guides W/ Commentary

Beng32

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

80 gold right now. Just a few left in Chapter 6 to deal with - figure if I can get through this Chapter, then the Epilogues will be fairly easy.

The massive pain in the ass was the Fine Art of Conversation mission - that one, I swear, was bugging out on me. It:

a) threw up invisible walls blocking me from progressing if I got to the train station at the end before the train got there.

b) probably bugged out when I skipped cutscenes, causing the time limit task to auto fail or something (I would often do it faster than the guides, but still failed that task somehow).

c) I saw Charles just ram into a tree once right near then end, and then take his sweet ass time getting back on his horse (wasting time, and resulting in failing the time limit task... again...).

d) I had it happen where the army shot whats-his-face's horse right at the beginning of the chase after leaving the negotiations, preventing the scenes from progressing any further, resulting in a restart.

e) Charles getting stuck behind his own horse leading up to the negotiation scene, resulting in having to restart the mission several times.

... and lots of other ways the game felt like screwing me over. It took over 6 hours to get gold on that one, dumb mission.

Hey everyone,

I'm glad you're finding the videos helpful and congrats to all that have managed to get the Gold Rush trophy.

I have added a link to a playlist of the 70 missions I think you should play for the trophy on the main page now. I should have done that from the start really, better late than never.

Your vids helped alot,

the timers for these suck ass, I guess putting a clock some where is out of rockstars coding capabilities.

for The Fine Joys of Tobacco

you can wait by the barrel (14:35 on your vid), you hear a lil chime when you can go, I've got the 5 kills this way a few times but the timer for the oiling the fields I fail everytime, so I just gave up on this one.

Your vids helped alot,

the timers for these suck ass, I guess putting a clock some where is out of rockstars coding capabilities.

for The Fine Joys of Tobacco

you can wait by the barrel (14:35 on your vid), you hear a lil chime when you can go, I've got the 5 kills this way a few times but the timer for the oiling the fields I fail everytime, so I just gave up on this one.

I had to do this mission twice because it failed after I apparently went too far ahead at the end to prevent the AI from killing the enemies required for the gold medal task, and I did not have any trouble getting the oiling part done in the time allotted by following exactly what was done in the video.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Because i missed errand boy trophy in first playthrought i started second for 70 medals and this 5 items requests. Thank you so much for your hard work, because of you i achieved this trophy in the middle of chapter 6. Some missions on replay are nearly impossible to do it and i think doing this by saving before missions is much easier. I have gold medal in all missions in chapter 2,3 and 4.

A Strange Kindness is the first mission on replay that I'm struggling with. For whatever reason I can't get credit for the 5 headshots. One of the problems is the rifle you are given is much weaker than the one in the video, a headshot from the starting position will not kill an enemy and from what I can gather it does not count if the headshot isn't a kill. So you have to run very close to the enemies which can lead to deaths or Charles sniping kills before you get there. Very frustrating and I would definitely say this qualifies on Medium difficulty for replays.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this mission is just bugged or it doesn't count if their head explodes? I've had several clean runs where I ran straight up to the enemy, Dead Eye right on his face, and got the kill at least 5 or 6 times. Sometimes I'm so close and their head explodes which is the only thing I can possibly think of that's messing it up.

If anybody has cleared this mission on replay on the latest patch please let me know, thanks.

Edited by Stommped

First of all many thanks for the video's! :applause:

But a question: i'm struggling a lot with Savagery Unleashed (Chapter 5, 2nd mission). How on earth it it possible to do this in the time frame needed? I tried often but everytime too slow....

This one:

@stommped: I did the mission on regular playtrough so cannot help you

• 3 weeks later...
A Strange Kindness is the first mission on replay that I'm struggling with. For whatever reason I can't get credit for the 5 headshots. One of the problems is the rifle you are given is much weaker than the one in the video, a headshot from the starting position will not kill an enemy and from what I can gather it does not count if the headshot isn't a kill. So you have to run very close to the enemies which can lead to deaths or Charles sniping kills before you get there. Very frustrating and I would definitely say this qualifies on Medium difficulty for replays.

Edit: I'm pretty sure this mission is just bugged or it doesn't count if their head explodes? I've had several clean runs where I ran straight up to the enemy, Dead Eye right on his face, and got the kill at least 5 or 6 times. Sometimes I'm so close and their head explodes which is the only thing I can possibly think of that's messing it up.

If anybody has cleared this mission on replay on the latest patch please let me know, thanks.

I cleared it on replay without troubles but I have the same issue in 'Horse Flesh for Dinner' :think:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I used these videos and recently got the 70 gold medals. They are very good as they include commentary.

What made this a lot easier for me was that when i recently got back into the game (I did the online trophies when the game was released and played up to Chapter 4) was obtaining the Legendary Satchel. That way you have unlimited Dead Eye tonics which made some of the 'Medium' difficulty missions a piece of cake (i.e. some of the headshot ones).

Thanks!

• 1 month later...